Waived: Tyler Johnson (upd: clears)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Aoko

Order has now fallen.
Dec 14, 2017
To be fair, Point's agent received a lot of calls from teams last year and it was kept under their hat for a while.
Of course he did. Just like Sergachev likely is as well.

Doesn't matter how many offer sheets are offered. The RFA has to sign the offer sheet for it to materialize. Good luck with that.

I am extremely confident that all three RFA's want to stay in Tampa for a few more years. Unless a team is offering 8M+. Which I highly doubt, considering what's going on right now in the NHL...

So where does Sergachev and Cirelli end up. Seems like there’s little willingness to help them out
Tampa.

People seem to forget that Kucherov remained unsigned until October. Be patient.

GetFocht

Indestructible
Jun 11, 2013
Is he really? This is the first season since 15-16 where Toffoli has outscored Johnson. Johnson had his worst season and Toffoli was in a contract year. They're very close to being the same player. Toffoli signed during Covid while Johnson's was pre and the cap was expected to continually rise.

Should also mention Toffoli was given first line ice time with Pettersson and Miller whereas Johnson was getting top 9 minutes.

If I had a choice, I would rather have Johnson. He is much more dynamic and a better skater than Toffoli. Toffoli is good at getting in a prime spot to score but he will never win the race to a puck or be able to forecheck relentlessly.

CupsOverCash

Jun 16, 2009
Of course he did. Just like Sergachev likely is as well.

Doesn't matter how many offer sheets are offered. The RFA has to sign the offer sheet for it to materialize. Good luck with that.

I am extremely confident that all three RFA's want to stay in Tampa for a few more years. Unless a team is offering 8M+. Which I highly doubt, considering what's going on right now in the NHL...

I mean how many offer sheets have been signed by other good players over the years? It's not that many because it just doesn't happen very often. It happens most with bad teams because that franchise isn't all that great. They basically just want better. More winning more money or whatever their current franchise isn't offering. I dont see money being the biggest driver for these kids. They will get paid eventually like how we took care of all our other rfas after signing their bridge deal.

These kids are competitors and will want to keep winning with the franchise that helped them get to where they are. They don't owe the franchise anything but I do think loyalty exists. More in hockey than I think any professional sport I've seen. Its especially prevalent in successful sports franchises. Well run franchise like tb is can be hard to leave.

DropTheGloves

Sep 18, 2020
I wonder if a team like New Jersey will be able to twist BriseBois's arm enough to get something both Cirelli and Gourde for a cost-controlled young forward like Miles Wood. It would obviously hurt to give up two such pieces, but it actually sets Tampa up nicely for Day 1 of the regular season even if Stamkos is out:

Killorn-Point-Kucherov
Goodrow-Johnson-Palat
Wood-Paquette-Coleman
Maroon-Stephens-Joseph
13F, 14F

Hedman-Cernak (3 yrs/$2.5 million)
Sergachev (5 years/$5.5 million)-McDonagh
Coburn-Schenn
7D

Vasilevskiy
McElhinney

Vasilevskiy

The cat will be back
Dec 30, 2008
Barcelona
Yeah, not worried about offer sheets. If one of our RFAs starts next season in another team it is because of a trade and not an offer sheet. So many RFAs still unsigned.

Reactions: Jakey53

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay
The offer sheet meme continues. I swear to God if GM's offer sheeted as much as HF Boards fancied it, Dahlin, Hughes, Svechnikov and Tkachuk would all be wearing different jerseys a year from now because they went through the 2nd act of the HF fantasy and signed the deals and their respective organizations did nothing about it and took the draft picks.

By that point guys fresh off their rookie deals would all be getting offered $5-7 million and not even from their own team

mouser

Business of Hockey
Jul 13, 2006
South Mountain
So HFboards, where are all the offersheets? Has even one rfa league wide been offered one? Much less signed one? Paging McJedi, who totally has a direct line to Sakic.. What's the hold up bro?:laugh:

Teams don't actually send "offer sheets" to players for their signature.

Teams can talk to the RFA's about contracts. If another team and the RFA player agree to the terms of a contract then they write up the details in a Offer Sheet and submit it to the NHL and the RFA's team.

Offer Sheets are formal notifications to the RFA's team that the player has agreed to a deal with another team.

Reactions: CupInSIX

Islay1989

Feb 24, 2020
Of course offer sheets don't happen. They are designed to be as ineffective as possible. Basically, the only way you get the player you are targeting is if you overpay for him both contract-wise and in form of picks. In doing so, you basically ruin your own salary structure, run up the cost of keeping your own RFAs etc. The only GMs who can see this as a viable method to add players are those who don't give any thought to the draft or how the team will look in a few years because that will be another guy's problem.

Reactions: Jeune Poulet

kabidjan18

Apr 20, 2015
authockeytxreports.wordpress.com
I think the RFAs might settle for 1 year deals and gamble on themselves for the following season. There isnt a real offer sheet chance this year with the flat cap. There isnt a lot of room even in Tampa to sign them to the deals they deserve. So they will probably have to settle this year and try for next year for the payday.

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
I think the RFAs might settle for 1 year deals and gamble on themselves for the following season. There isnt a real offer sheet chance this year with the flat cap. There isnt a lot of room even in Tampa to sign them to the deals they deserve. So they will probably have to settle this year and try for next year for the payday.

NHL 2020 Cap Tracker

Actually, a number of teams have room, and a need... Bruins D needs upgrading for example, and have 10mil in cap room currently.

Cernak at $2.1 mil, only costs a third round pick in compensation.
Sergachev at $6.5 mil, only costs a first and third round pick.

Weegar from Florida, if offered at $4 mil, only costs a second round pick.

2020 Cup Champions

Formerly Sila v Kucherove
Nov 26, 2013
NHL 2020 Cap Tracker

Actually, a number of teams have room, and a need... Bruins D needs upgrading for example, and have 10mil in cap room currently.

Why not just trade for Nate Schmidt for a 3rd+7th? Only the Cernak OS makes sense given what happened yesterday.

serp

Jan 17, 2016
Offer sheets are not happening but it'll be tricky for Tampa to get money moved to fit in all the RFA's . They're going to have to add alot imho and all the NTC's they handed out are really in the way now.

LeapOnOver

Mackenzie is a hack!
Jan 23, 2011
Iksan, S. Korea
www.leaponover.com
NHL 2020 Cap Tracker

Wow, Bruins should offer sheet Sergachev. Tired of Tampa getting great contracts because of tax benefits. They should feel the pinch like everyone else. The funny thing is I thought they were going to need to trade Johnson the first time they had to extend him, and instead they tried to keep him. Got a cup to show for it so guess ya can't point fingers.

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
Why not just trade for Nate Schmidt for a 3rd+7th? Only the Cernak OS makes sense given what happened yesterday.

Nothing makes sense, after yesterday.

It seems probable that some GM's were asleep at the wheel, and will be shocked with the return Vegas received. Note also, Schmidt has a 10 team no trade list, and given how much cap room teams have, and which of those need a D man, it wouldn't be hard to put Vegas in a corner, and essentially select your team.

AfroThunder396

[citation needed]
Jan 8, 2006
Miami, FL
I wonder if a team like New Jersey will be able to twist BriseBois's arm enough to get something both Cirelli and Gourde for a cost-controlled young forward like Miles Wood. It would obviously hurt to give up two such pieces, but it actually sets Tampa up nicely for Day 1 of the regular season even if Stamkos is out:

Killorn-Point-Kucherov
Goodrow-Johnson-Palat
Wood-Paquette-Coleman
Maroon-Stephens-Joseph
13F, 14F

Hedman-Cernak (3 yrs/$2.5 million)
Sergachev (5 years/$5.5 million)-McDonagh
Coburn-Schenn
7D

Vasilevskiy
McElhinney
I would do that trade, but I don't think Fitzgerald would. As tempting as Cirelli is, that Gourde contract is absolutely horrendous. TBH I can't see NJ taking any contracts with big term. Fitzgerald keeps emphasizing that he's playing the long game and that he wants to add core pieces in the same age bracket as Hughes and Hischier.

I can't imagine that after a whole summer talking about patience and growth that he would suddenly decide to take on a big albatross. I think it's much more likely we see the moves that we have seen in the past week - shrewd trades for good but expendable players at really low prices.

RealityHurts

Feb 24, 2020

upload_2020-10-13_12-19-12.png

Look at the tanking!!

They should be penalized for that.. no integrity.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad