Waived: Tyler Johnson (cleared) - continued

Mar 20, 2010
Wonder if JBB's desire to re-sign all 3 RFAs has changed at all after seeing how difficult and costly it may be to move the necessary salaries off the books. Cernak/Cirelli/Sergachev are great, but is it still a must (in his mind) to keep all three? It will probably require multiple 1/2 rd draft picks to clear enough space, and I wonder if that's what JBB expected when he started this.

He pretty much needs to move at least one player just to get cap space to fill out the roster, so perhaps he deals Johnson no matter how painful. But maybe he won't deal Gourde/Killorn/Palat if they require adding expensive sweeteners?

Eggtimer

Jul 4, 2011
Calgary Alberta
Wonder if JBB's desire to re-sign all 3 RFAs has changed at all after seeing how difficult and costly it may be to move the necessary salaries off the books. Cernak/Cirelli/Sergachev are great, but is it still a must (in his mind) to keep all three? It will probably require multiple 1/2 rd draft picks to clear enough space, and I wonder if that's what JBB expected when he started this.

He pretty much needs to move at least one player just to get cap space to fill out the roster, so perhaps he deals Johnson no matter how painful. But maybe he won't deal Gourde/Killorn/Palat if they require adding expensive sweeteners?

I still don’t get why people say there is no way in hell one the RFAs gets traded.
TJ has negative value . Before the offseason it was speculated that a bottom dwelling team with lots of cap would trade for him .
No way that happens when those bottom dwelling teams would rather wait it out and get a far greater return as seen but the recent Schmidt trade .
I don’t see any team doing Tampa any favours and will only move on a player like Palat and the three RFA’s . Why add a “decent” player when you know that if you wait , there are better players to be had .
Tampa is going to have to make a move that really hurts.
That being either adding 1/2 round picks , losing or packaging good prospects along with dumps , or outright trading players like Sergachev Palat etc that teams actually want to give up assets to acquire.

Reactions: Coach Parker

Mar 20, 2010
I still don’t get why people say there is no way in hell one the RFAs gets traded.

Right... but I mean GM JBB sounded so determined when he announced the untouchable list of only 4 players + the RFAs, so it seemed that he was hell bent on this.

At some point, maybe one or two of these RFAs become too expensive to keep, but it might also depend on what kind of deals that JBB can get them to agree to.

ponder

Jul 11, 2007
Vancouver
He’s still a pretty decent player, surely someone would take him if Tampa retain some cap. He’d be a lot more palatable at ~$3 mil than $5 mil. For example, I could see him somewhere like Columbus:

To CBJ: Tyler Johnson ($2 mil retained) + Jack Finley (their 2020 2nd)
To Tampa: 7th

But yeah, in the current climate, if they’re not willing to retain cap, he’ll be VERY expensive to deal. And with his NTC, he can decide where he goes, which certainly makes matters worse.

Last edited:

Aoko

Order has now fallen.
Dec 14, 2017
He was up for free
You make it sound like this hasn't happened before. I've seen players clear waivers and then later get traded where the other team gives up something. Usually a late pick. It does happen.

Devils
7th round pick

Bolts
Johnson at 35-40% retained + Cal Foote

Unite the Foot clan!

No. You got one Foote. You're not getting the superior one. We retain nearly half his contract, we give up one of our best prospects, and all we get is a seventh and 3m cap room?

Go play NHL 21 and enjoy your cap space.

Mar 20, 2010
He’s still a pretty decent player, surely someone would take him if Tampa retain some cap? He’d be a lot more palatable at $3.5 mil than $5 mil, for example. Maybe:

To CBJ: Tyler Johnson ($1.5 mil retained) + 2nd
To Tampa: 7th

Unfortunately, it seems TB really needs virtually all of the cap space from Gourde/Johnson/Killorn/Palat over the next 3 years in order to achieve what they're trying to achieve. They are already in the hole from Vasilevskiy getting a 6m raise starting this upcoming season and they will need to re-sign Point in 2 years.

ponder

Jul 11, 2007
Vancouver
Unfortunately, it seems TB really needs virtually all of the cap space from Gourde/Johnson/Killorn/Palat over the next 3 years in order to achieve what they're trying to achieve. They are already in the hole from Vasilevskiy getting a 6m raise starting this upcoming season and they will need to re-sign Point in 2 years.
Yeah, they need lots of cap space, but dumping TJ without retaining isn’t happening unless they pay a HEAVY price. IMO, something like Sergachev.

But if they retain a decent bit, they can move him much more cheaply IMO. Some cap savings is better than nothing.

TBF1972

May 19, 2018
for 1 more year. Next year his clause allows him to be traded to 20 teams. So he can use his clause to either stay in Tampa for 1 year more then be sent to one of 20 teams next year with no say in a he matter (other than defining the list of 20), or use it to control where he goes, so he goes to a team he wants to go this year.

Albeit, there are dwindling options this year.
If I am the GM of the choosen team, I would ask for a kings ransom and some nice pluses on top of it.

Mar 20, 2010
Yeah, they need lots of cap space, but dumping TJ without retaining isn’t happening unless they pay a HEAVY price. IMO, something like Sergachev.

But if they retain a decent bit, they can move him much more cheaply IMO. Some cap savings is better than nothing.

Totally agree but maybe they can do a 3-team deal to send a modest sweetener to one team to retain 50% cap hit and the third team gets TJ with 50% retained.

However, as I mentioned in the previous thread, it's rumored that such a deal for Fleury has an asking price of a 1st round pick so the sweetener is far from 'modest' (although VGK hasn't agreed to this yet, either). And Fleury is 7m x 2.

Xirik

Sep 24, 2014
Alberta
You make it sound like this hasn't happened before. I've seen players clear waivers and then later get traded where the other team gives up something. Usually a late pick. It does happen.

No. You got one Foote. You're not getting the superior one.
Are you suggesting we both continue hopping around with just one foote? Its better for one of us to be able to walk then neither!:naughty:

personally I thought it was an interesting/good offer as it gives you 3-4 million in cap space which plus the 2 million you have now = one happy signed Sergechev. find a Trade for Killorn and Paquatte and and sign Both Cirelli and Cernak to those sweet heart bridge deals and wham you guys have have you main core intact that got you the Stanley Cup

Bourne Endeavor

Apr 6, 2009
Montreal, Quebec
Totally agree but maybe they can do a 3-team deal to send a modest sweetener to one team to retain 50% cap hit and the third team gets TJ with 50% retained.

However, as I mentioned in the previous thread, it's rumored that such a deal for Fleury has an asking price of a 1st round pick so the sweetener is far from 'modest' (although VGK hasn't agreed to this yet, either). And Fleury is 7m x 2.

For reference sake, GMs were apparently asking for Virtanen to eat Eriksson's contract. While there's no denying Johnson is the better player. It does put into perspective just how steep the demands are, especially since every teams knows Tampa is desperate. If they want to move Johnson out without retaining salary, they're going to be losing a good prospect or several picks. I wouldn't be entirely surprised if teams asked for two firsts. It may sound ridiculous but hey, you know Tampa needs to dump him.

Aoko

Order has now fallen.
Dec 14, 2017
Are you suggesting we both continue hopping around with just one foote? Its better for one of us to be able to walk then neither!:naughty:

personally I thought it was an interesting/good offer as it gives you 3-4 million in cap space which plus the 2 million you have now = one happy signed Sergechev. find a Trade for Killorn and Paquatte and and sign Both Cirelli and Cernak to those sweet heart bridge deals and wham you guys have have you main core intact that got you the Stanley Cup
Take on Killorn and Johnson, with no cap retention, and you might be onto something.

That offer you made? One of the worst I've seen.

Mar 20, 2010
If they want to move Johnson out without retaining salary, they're going to be losing a good prospect or several picks. I wouldn't be entirely surprised if teams asked for two firsts. It may sound ridiculous but hey, you know Tampa needs to dump him.

Yes, the initial ask could easily be something like that. It doesn't help that TJ already cleared waivers and has a NTC to boot.

But maybe at some point there is at least some 'bidding' between suitors that might 'settle' for a 1st and 3rd or something instead of two 1sts... or maybe TB shelves TJ for a bit and tries to move someone else that is more palatable.

Xirik

Sep 24, 2014
Alberta
Take on Killorn and Johnson, with no cap retention, and you might be onto something.

That offer you made? One of the worst I've seen.
based off the fact that nobody picked up Johnson with no cap retention and you are suggesting it I doubt your abilities to know the difference between bad deal or not. Why would we take two players who are regressing aka the wrong side of thirty with that cap hit for Cal Foote. He is a good prospect but he is not worth $10,000,000 in cap space for the next three years.

Byrddog

Lifer
Nov 23, 2007
Right... but I mean GM JBB sounded so determined when he announced the untouchable list of only 4 players + the RFAs, so it seemed that he was hell bent on this.

At some point, maybe one or two of these RFAs become too expensive to keep, but it might also depend on what kind of deals that JBB can get them to agree to.
Yeah has anyone ever seen a GM write checks with his mouth that his ass can not cover? I believe this was the very case here. We are going to lose at least one of these RFA's before the puck drops next season no matter how much he wants to move salary out he can not clear enough Cap to sign all three plus fill out the roster.

Reactions: Guttersniped

Mar 20, 2010
We are going to lose at least one of these RFA's before the puck drops next season no matter how much he wants to move salary out he can not clear enough Cap to sign all three plus fill out the roster.

That's what I think is likely as well... also, the cost of clearing cap space is high but relatively fixed, regardless of whether it's being cleared to sign a superstar, a 4th line winger, or a middle pair D. Don't think the cost will be worth it for Cernak, for example, unless he signs at a discount that makes up for it.

Eggtimer

Jul 4, 2011
Calgary Alberta

No. You got one Foote. You're not getting the superior one. We retain nearly half his contract, we give up one of our best prospects, and all we get is a seventh and 3m cap room?

Go play NHL 21 and enjoy your cap space.
Have you been paying attention to what it has cost to dump salary?
I don’t think that offer is that far off.
Maybe reduce the retention % but don’t make it sound like it is a crazy offer..... and how original on the “go play NHL 21” bit.
A top2/3 D man was just traded for a 3rd round pick two years from now....
It’s going to take something that sucks to give up to move that contract .

Reactions: Xirik

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad