Waived: Tyler Johnson (cleared) - continued

Byrddog

Lifer
Nov 23, 2007
That's what I think is likely as well... also, the cost of clearing cap space is high but relatively fixed, regardless of whether it's being cleared to sign a superstar, a 4th line winger, or a middle pair D. Don't think the cost will be worth it for Cernak, for example, unless he signs at a discount that makes up for it.
IMO he has to Sign Cernak and Sergichev somehow the roster can not afford to lose them both. Cernak made nice advances this year but his cost should be manageable hopefully 1.75 to 2.25 mil Sergi is going to be tough I imagine hes going to get 4.5

Mar 20, 2010
IMO he has to Sign Cernak and Sergichev somehow the roster can not afford to lose them both. Cernak made nice advances this year but his cost should be manageable hopefully 1.75 to 2.25 mil Sergi is going to be tough I imagine hes going to get 4.5

Right I think most agree Sergachev is the most valuable and the highest priority of the three. I think he is the type of player you would trade 1st round picks for so using 1st round picks if necessary to free up cap space to sign him is probably worthwhile.

4.5 for a bridge deal, you mean?

redfire11

Jun 22, 2016
Stamkos will be talked into a LTIR for most of the season.
That leaves 11.4 to sign the 3 RFA's and gives TBL nearly a year to dump salary.

Mar 20, 2010
Stamkos will be talked into a LTIR for most of the season.
That leaves 11.4 to sign the 3 RFA's and gives TBL nearly a year to dump salary.

Obviously, hope he comes back healthy but it really is the worst planning-wise when a player sets expectations the entire time to make a full recovery and gets injured again immediately after finally returning.

Byrddog

Lifer
Nov 23, 2007
Right I think most agree Sergachev is the most valuable and the highest priority of the three. I think he is the type of player you would trade 1st round picks for so using 1st round picks if necessary to free up cap space to sign him is probably worthwhile.

4.5 for a bridge deal, you mean?
Yes I do not see him signing for less than 4.5 for a two year bridge if he wants 5 or 6 that number will jump to 6.5 at least. If he does a bridge at 4.5 then he really cashes in like Point is going to do do the same year. Palats 5.3 falls off that year that would cover Point and Sergi but if Cernak and Cirelli are both given two year bridges somehow there is no way they could be retained then. There is just no good option that year. So we better win another Cup before then.

Mal Reynolds

never goes smooth, how come it never goes smooth?
Sep 28, 2008
Defense is probably the most valuable position but.... with expansion looming and the likelihood of not being able to protect all your D, perhaps you bundle Cernak with Johnson for some negligible piece. Hurts to lose such a good dman, but looks like that might be the cost of doing business this offseason

A friendly reminder ~ Cernak was basically a throw in when Tampa acquired him. An afterthought. Between Tampa's scouting and their system, I suspect such a loss will not be felt for long

Then you trade Killorn, possibly for next to nothing. Again, it hurts to lose such a good player for peanuts, but you just remind yourself you're getting that big ass Stanley Cup ring in a couple weeks

Prioritize Sergachev/Cirelli, finesse whatever other cap gymnastics as necessary. Stings a little (more than I anticipated, I admit) but still a very good team

Reactions: GirardSpinorama

YotesFan47

Jun 16, 2012
Phoenix, Arizona USA
TB fans, working out an idea to take TJ off your hands while filling needs. AZ and TB are both cap teams currently so navigating the cap, needs, and movable pieces is tough. As of right now this is what I'm thinking but may be off base.

To TB:
Chychrun
Stepan

To AZ:
Cirelli
Killorn
Johnson

The thought was flipping 4 years of TJ for 1 year of Stepan. He comes at a higher cap but maybe there is a 2nd trade where TB retains a bit on Stepan for a pick which then gives them enough room to sign both Serg and Cernak. Or keep Stepan as the 3c and trade someone else knowing they get the nice cap space next offseason.

Am I at least in the ballpark here or way off base?

FireGorton

Laf to Kak
Aug 6, 2020
I am wondering when Tampa will make any kind of moves. They can afford to re-sign their guys with the 10% overage, and agreeing on terms let’s them know how much salary they actually have to shed.

Would they move McDonagh? He’d have a lot more suitors than Johnson, or even Killorn in a flat cap off season, even with the larger cap hit. What about just moving Sergachev for some close futures and making minor moves to fit Cirelli and Cernak?

Eventually something has to give. No one wants 4 years of Johnson at full bang when everyone is losing money. Is Tampa relying on Stamkos ending up LTIR? They’ve been very quiet aside from waiving Johnson, who everyone knew would clear.
Who would want McDonagh and that contract? He’s 31 and came off his worse season since his rookie season. He also has 6 years left so it would be interesting to see what team would want him

Mar 20, 2010

If TB is willing to move on from Cirelli, I think they more than happily do this. They will probably turn around and unload Stepan but it will be much easier b/c it's 1 year and no NTC/NMC. Chychrun is also a great asset that can be kept, dealt or may make someone like McDonagh more expendable.

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
TB fans, working out an idea to take TJ off your hands while filling needs. AZ and TB are both cap teams currently so navigating the cap, needs, and movable pieces is tough. As of right now this is what I'm thinking but may be off base.

To TB:
Chychrun
Stepan

To AZ:
Cirelli
Killorn
Johnson

The thought was flipping 4 years of TJ for 1 year of Stepan. He comes at a higher cap but maybe there is a 2nd trade where TB retains a bit on Stepan for a pick which then gives them enough room to sign both Serg and Cernak. Or keep Stepan as the 3c and trade someone else knowing they get the nice cap space next offseason.

This is horrendous. Tampa brings in 11.1M in cap while sending out 9.45M and Cirelli. Cirelli will sign for more than 1.6M but like 2-3M more than that so we really don't gain much capspace. While Chychrun is a very good D i don't know if he's even better than our 3rd pair LD in Sergachev so would be a terrible target. I also rather keep Johnson for 4 more years than take Stepan for 1. With Arizona having no capspace i don't see a deal between the two teams because the deal.we would want to do is Johnson + picks for future considerations and you can't take on any cap.

YotesFan47

Jun 16, 2012
Phoenix, Arizona USA
If TB is willing to move on from Cirelli, I think they more than happily do this. They will probably turn around and unload Stepan but it will be much easier b/c it's 1 year and no NTC/NMC. Chychrun is also a great asset that can be kept, dealt or may make someone like McDonagh more expendable.
Personally I'd keep Cerelli and flip Killorn for the best possible pick return but as a Coyotes fan, I long for nice things haha. Thanks for the input.

YotesFan47

Jun 16, 2012
Phoenix, Arizona USA
This is horrendous. Tampa brings in 11.1M in cap while sending out 9.45M and Cirelli. Cirelli will sign for more than 1.6M but like 2-3M more than that so we really don't gain much capspace. While Chychrun is a very good D i don't know if he's even better than our 3rd pair LD in Sergachev so would be a terrible target. I also rather keep Johnson for 4 more years than take Stepan for 1. With Arizona having no capspace i don't see a deal between the two teams because the deal.we would want to do is Johnson + picks for future considerations and you can't take on any cap.
I can see why someone might not want to do this trade but you act like 1 year of Stepan is worse than 4 of TJ. I disagree with you and even believe you could clear his cap far easier than TJ.

As far as Chychrun not being a good fit, totally get it. I thought Serg was a LHRD, apparently I'm mistaken.

Mar 20, 2010
Who would want McDonagh and that contract? He’s 31 and came off his worse season since his rookie season. He also has 6 years left so it would be interesting to see what team would want him

Probably only a win-now contender that needs a shutdown D-man (particularly in the playoffs) even at the cost of ugly later years of the contract... which basically might only be TB.

And of course, some hope for the magic solution called "Seattle will take him".

Uncle Scrooge

Hockey Bettor
Nov 14, 2011
Helsinki
I think NJ would like to add Johnson in a normal year, or any one useful cap dump for a nice sweetener for that matter. But especially Johnson who improves the team now but also gives them a roster player once Palmieri/Gusev or both are gone at the TDL. They have the cap space, spot for TJ in the middle 6 and want assets. Makes sense.

But this is where covid comes to play. If im the owner of the Devils, do i want to spend an extra 5M without knowing what the next season is going to be like when the team doesn't have any expectations to contend or even make the playoffs. Probably not.

If we had news of a vaccine coming out for December and could assume that fans are back in the stands in January i think NJ would strike a deal in a couple days, whether it's Johnson or one of Lou's cap dumps. But right now it's a tough deal to make.

Mar 20, 2010
I think NJ would like to add Johnson in a normal year, or any one useful cap dump for a nice sweetener for that matter. But especially Johnson who improves the team now but also gives them a roster player once Palmieri/Gusev or both are gone at the TDL. They have the cap space, spot for TJ in the middle 6 and want assets. Makes sense.

Moving TJ will practically require a minor miracle. 4 years is probably too long for a team to take on a 5m cap dump just for the sweeteners, no matter how good. Even the worst teams aren't planning on being in rebuild mode for that long. So it likely needs to be a team that can also really use TJ as a player. And then that team needs to be attractive enough to TJ for him to waive his NTC.

Reactions: Guttersniped

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
I can see why someone might not want to do this trade but you act like 1 year of Stepan is worse than 4 of TJ. I disagree with you and even believe you could clear his cap far easier than TJ.

As far as Chychrun not being a good fit, totally get it. I thought Serg was a LHRD, apparently I'm mistaken.

Contract wise Stepan is probably better than Johnson but Stepan isn't very good anymore. Johnson while having a down year is the better player and cheaper. Johnson's issue is he's not needed to be a top offensive threat which is where he's more effective. So he's not going to produce as well as he has in the past but he's still an above average 3rd liner. I don't think it'll be easy to clear his cap but it won't be easy to clear 6.5M either without retention.

Sergachev can play right side but they prefer him to play his strong side. We like all our D to play their strong side if possible which makes Chychrun a no go. Not to mention the expansion draft issues that would come from that when we will already have struggles to protect all our D.

BinCookin

Feb 15, 2012
London, ON
There is another factor here that people have not mentioned in the last 40 posts:

The current UFA list has players that can be acquired for free with only $$. And this list is not horrid:

Mike Hoffman
Evgenii Dadonov
Mikael Granlund
Alex Galchenyuk
Sami Vatanen
Andy Greene
Carl Soderberg
Michael Frolik
Travis Hamonic
Andreas Athanasiou
Anthony Duclair
Derrick Brassard
Dominic Kahun
Eric Haula
Conor Sheary
Corey Perry
Ben Hutton
Brian Boyle

Its being reported by Dreger that a 3-4M million dollar player in this list is currently being offered a 1year 1M deal.
These guys are going to have to settle for sweat heart deals soon. Some them might not even get NHL contracts.

Also next year the cap might be flat... but NHL teams are going to lose money big time with no fans in the building.
Most deals are being structured back end loaded, because teams don't want soo much red in 2021. There just is NO appetite for money right now.

I would not want to be TB right now... I honestly think they are in a much much worse position than most posters believe they are in. The only good news for TB is there is evidence that their RFA's likely will make less than they thought they were going to ... even if they are traded.

Uncle Scrooge

Hockey Bettor
Nov 14, 2011
Helsinki
Moving TJ will practically require a minor miracle. 4 years is probably too long for a team to take on a 5m cap dump just for the sweeteners, no matter how good. Even the worst teams aren't planning on being in rebuild mode for that long. So it likely needs to be a team that can also really use TJ as a player. And then that team needs to be attractive enough to TJ for him to waive his NTC.

I don't think the team acquiring would necessarily see him as a cap dump on their roster. @ 1M retained, 4M for your 3-5th best winger (that TJ would presumably be for a team interested in him) is not a bad contract on paper. Teams hand out worse in FA every year pretty much.

He's 30 and has 128 pts in 226 regular season games over the past 3 years. He also won the cup which always increases your reputation no matter what role you played. Doubt GM's think he would bring nothing to the table.

But you're right, finding that team and Johnson accepting a trade is a tough combination. NJ checks the first box though. If Palmieri and Gusev aren't on the team in 21-22, as things stand their 3 best wingers would be Andreas Johnsson, Jesper Bratt and Tyler Johnson.

They could also bring back UFA Marcus Johansson in 21-22 and ice Johnsson-Johansson-Johnson.

Sens

Jan 7, 2016
I’d just hold out the RFAs
And take the picks when they come

won a cup... why would I care

Grandpa

Jul 27, 2019
Just because New Jersey is shit, doesn't mean they should collect scraps from cap-tight teams. In their situation, I'd rather pick few names on that UFA list and sell them before trade deadline.

Paul Byron, Tyler Johnson, people have high expectations that their overpriced bottom-6 forwards with few years left in their contracts have any value in cap-strangled nearby future.

Buy him out.

TBF1972

May 19, 2018
I don't think the team acquiring would necessarily see him as a cap dump on their roster. @ 1M retained, 4M for your 3-5th best winger (that TJ would presumably be for a team interested in him) is not a bad contract on paper. Teams hand out worse in FA every year pretty much.

He's 30 and has 128 pts in 226 regular season games over the past 3 years. He also won the cup which always increases your reputation no matter what role you played. Doubt GM's think he would bring nothing to the table.

But you're right, finding that team and Johnson accepting a trade is a tough combination. NJ checks the first box though. If Palmieri and Gusev aren't on the team in 21-22, as things stand their 3 best wingers would be Andreas Johnsson, Jesper Bratt and Tyler Johnson.

They could also bring back UFA Marcus Johansson in 21-22 and ice Johnsson-Johansson-Johnson.
and nj does all that just for entertainment?

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
If I am the GM of the choosen team, I would ask for a kings ransom and some nice pluses on top of it.
Yeah, Nobody wanted him for free off waivers so I suspect it will take some nice sweeteners to take him on in a trade.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad