Waived: Tyler Johnson (cleared) - continued

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
A little reminder tampa played their waive card and he cleared. Now TJ just needs to continue to wave his no trade clause card and he remains with tampa.

for 1 more year. Next year his clause allows him to be traded to 20 teams. So he can use his clause to either stay in Tampa for 1 year more then be sent to one of 20 teams next year with no say in a he matter (other than defining the list of 20), or use it to control where he goes, so he goes to a team he wants to go this year.

Albeit, there are dwindling options this year.

Sota Popinski

Registered Boozer
Sponsor
Apr 26, 2017
Minneapolis
for 1 more year. Next year his clause allows him to be traded to 20 teams. So he can use his clause to either stay in Tampa for 1 year more then be sent to one of 20 teams next year with no say in a he matter (other than defining the list of 20), or use it to control where he goes, so he goes to a team he wants to go this year.

You're acting like he can't be traded again next year when his list opens up. It's not like he accepts a trade to Carolina, for example, and then they have to keep him for the rest of the contract.

Johnson has literally zero reason to open up his list of teams.

Galaxydoggystyle

Jul 4, 2019
You're acting like he can't be traded again next year when his list opens up. It's not like he accepts a trade to Carolina, for example, and then they have to keep him for the rest of the contract.

Problem is Tampa needs cap NOW not next season. Something has to give soon doesn't it?

Erep

Jul 17, 2019
Problem is Tampa needs cap NOW not next season. Something has to give soon doesn't it?
Yeah, which means if he just refuses to be traded until the start of this season, Tampa will have less reason to trade him next season, because they will have shipped other guys out (or lost RFA's to offersheets) by that time.

Waterbuf

Sep 21, 2018
Vancouver
Having trouble understanding what team would want this player with 4 more years at 5$ mil cap hit. Guess the Tampa GM is too.

Clamshells

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Aug 11, 2009

If he gets traded, can't the other team just not honour his NTC, and all of a sudden he can get traded to anyone?

2020 Cup Champions

Formerly Sila v Kucherove
Nov 26, 2013
Depends on who's serious about offers sheets and who fills up their cap space before they get the chance to offer one. IIRC Kucherov wasn't thrilled about his bridge, but he took it because that was the established pattern. This year there's a chance that a deserving RFA gets moved or 1 or more of their bridges get squeezed if moving Johnson proves to continue to be difficult.

LokiDog

Get pucks deep. Get pucks to the net. And, uh…
Sep 13, 2018
Dallas
I am wondering when Tampa will make any kind of moves. They can afford to re-sign their guys with the 10% overage, and agreeing on terms let’s them know how much salary they actually have to shed.

Would they move McDonagh? He’d have a lot more suitors than Johnson, or even Killorn in a flat cap off season, even with the larger cap hit. What about just moving Sergachev for some close futures and making minor moves to fit Cirelli and Cernak?

Eventually something has to give. No one wants 4 years of Johnson at full bang when everyone is losing money. Is Tampa relying on Stamkos ending up LTIR? They’ve been very quiet aside from waiving Johnson, who everyone knew would clear.

Boom Boom Apathy

Sep 6, 2006

Nah. he 100% knows TB wants to move him now and will very likely move him next year if they don’t this year. If he goes to another team, they could of course still trade him again, but he can get a read on how likely that is beforehand. Not a guarantee, but he can get a decent read on that.

We fans have no way of knowing what reasons he may or may not have for waiving. I’m not saying he will waive (or won’t), as I don’t know his thinking either, but I do know that we fans on Hf have been wrong before on our assumptions about players not waiving/waiving clauses, or where UFAs may sign, accept a trade to, etc. so to assume a player won’t, under any circumstances, is A bit presumptuous.

Boom Boom Apathy

Sep 6, 2006
If he gets traded, can't the other team just not honour his NTC, and all of a sudden he can get traded to anyone?

no. Teams only can refuse to honor a clause if a player has one in the future that isn’t already in effect (like Subban to NSH I think).

that said, next year, TB or any team can trade him to 20 teams he defines, as his clause changes to a limited ntc.

So there is no guarantee a team he’s traded to won’t trade him again, but he can get an idea of how likely that is should he choose to waive his clause now.

Clamshells

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Aug 11, 2009
no. Teams only can refuse to honor a clause if a player has one in the future that isn’t already in effect (like Subban to NSH I think).

that said, next year, TB or any team can trade him to 20 teams he defines, as his clause changes to a limited ntc.

So there is no guarantee a team he’s traded to won’t trade him again, but he can get an idea of how likely that is should he choose to waive his clause now.

Ah didn't know that. Thanks

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad