Prospect Info: Tyler Boucher (F) - PART II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bileur

Jun 15, 2004
Ottawa

Tyler Boucher at the end of every Sens game in the future:
giphy-downsized-large.gif

After the game? They’ll keep a few beers in the penalty box for him.

WORLDSTARHIPHOP

Sens <<<<<<<<<< NHL
May 31, 2008
I'm just gonna jump in here, and go a little of topic. Moneyball is a nice story and all but let's not forget the fact the book and movie glossed over who the top players were, how they were acquired and why those players were paid so little. It was a pitching staff that consisted of the 2000 Cy Young runner up, the 2001 Cy Young runner up and the 2002 Cy Young winner, three different pitchers by the way. And oh yeah, they had the 2002 MVP at SS and the 2002 gold glove and silver slugger winner at 3B. But yeah, Scott Hatteberg and David Justice propelled that team to success.

Wasn't Moneyball all about analytics?

We just hired Pierre Maguire

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
If there is one thing that this thread has taught me, it’s that when I write a text wall post, NOBODY reads it.

Thank you thread for giving me the gift of time.

El Diego

Jan 2, 2009
It was all about analytics which is the problem. The team was lead by a group of players not identified through analytics.

I think that's a pretty reductionist view of what Moneyball was "all about". Moneyball was about exploiting market inefficiencies created by traditional sacred cow views of scouting and baseball strategy. I didn't get the view from the book that the A's were successful because of Hatteberg and Justice (the movie gives more of that impression, for sure), but rather it was more about the interesting things the A's did to gain some competitive advantage -- I didn't think it was out to explain all of their success, but it has been a while since I read it.

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008
Any anti-drafting Boucher folks still think he is not on the level of Sillinger, Lucius or Coronato now that we have seen him in this tournament?

What has he done in this tournament to prove anybody wrong?

Everyone knew about Boucher's elite physical game and his great battle level, but is he showing off any kind of top 10 worthy talent, vision or shooting ability that the scouting community consensus missed?

Not that I have seen.

Reactions: SENStastic

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria

Everyone knew about Boucher's elite physical game and his great battle level, but is he showing off any kind of top 10 worthy talent, vision or shooting ability that the scouting community consensus missed?

Not that I have seen.

Short answer: Yes!

Long answer: Mooaaaarrr Hiiitttzzzzz!

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004

Not that I have seen.
So far, he's gotten a point in every game I think, that's a PPEG - 1 point per exhibition game. ;)

brakeyawself

Oct 5, 2006
I'm just gonna jump in here, and go a little of topic. Moneyball is a nice story and all but let's not forget the fact the book and movie glossed over who the top players were, how they were acquired and why those players were paid so little. It was a pitching staff that consisted of the 2000 Cy Young runner up, the 2001 Cy Young runner up and the 2002 Cy Young winner, three different pitchers by the way. And oh yeah, they had the 2002 MVP at SS and the 2002 gold glove and silver slugger winner at 3B. But yeah, Scott Hatteberg and David Justice propelled that team to success.

That's fair. But I think the point, more so, is that statisticians, with no playing background, have since taken a major role in professional sports and decision making. I don't think you're wrong. But this entire calamity has simply been about the idea of whether or not you need a high level of playing experience in order to decide if one player is better than another player. And the simple fact that there are working scouts, coaches and GM's within professional sports, who never played the sport at any high level, is evidence that you don't necessarily need that experience. Not that the experience isn't helpful or doesn't give you a certain understanding, but that there are multiple roads to these destinations.

But I only went there as evidence. Really this began because a few people had a huge problem with the idea that someone who is not working as a scout or GM could possibly decipher one player from another and if one player or another should be the draft pick at a specific point in the draft to a specific team. lol. All this has been about arguing with those few people, that "you don't work as a scout" is not any sort of significant response to the suggestion that "I can't believe they picked player A so early over player B" or "That's such a bad pick" or "I can't believe our GM did this". Suggesting "you are not a professional" is fallacious logic and a completely irrelevant answer to such suggestions about very specific players and draft picks.

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009
Boucher might be a really big hard hitting Conor Brown and in a playoff series, Conor Brown is a more important player then a Kyle Turris/RNH/KK.

Boucher will have more value in bigger games because he can make a bigger impact on a game when the game is low scoring and needs momentum that don’t involve scoring, like playoff hockey. He’s a presence, he’s big and makes his teammates bigger

brakeyawself

Oct 5, 2006
Starting off your post by saying 'everything you said is wrong' then going on and on about how you are right and everyone else is wrong isn't going to illicit a response.

Actually that's not how that post started off. So you are wrong...............................................................

lol.

But seriously, it was in response to you, and maybe like 2 other people, not to everyone. It's not about ME being right and YOU being wrong. It's literally about the subject we are talking about. I could care less if I am "right". I just care about the reality of the subject we are discussing. I don't gain anything from being right, nor someone else being wrong. I don't like seeing gaslighting and I don't like people throwing around ad hominems instead of evidence for the debate in question. I am going to reply each and every time I see something like that take place. I could honestly care less who I am talking to, who others think I am, what others think I am or even that I am the one providing the response. If someone else did it, I wouldn't feel the need to. All I care about is the actual subject at hand. And yes, you can say it, this specific paragraph is largely about me lol.

And the post that was in reply to, again , asserted some necessary high level of playing experience to do these jobs. Or, not even to do these jobs, but going back to the original point, being able to decipher and qualify a specific draft choice over another. And the point was pretty simple. Since many actual scouts, coaches and GMs in pro sports do not have that background, where are you getting this idea that they require that background? What is that idea based on or is it just an assumption?

brakeyawself

Oct 5, 2006
Yes, they are very different claims. It's also a very simple analogy...and not one that I find particularly relevant

Interesting. How is it not relevant? Do you know what we are actually arguing about? Because we are not arguing about whether or not a person who doesn't work in hockey and doesn't have experience can do the job of a GM, scout or coach. That is not at all what we are arguing about. That does seem to be what some are implying, but it's certainly not what I or the others who have spoke up in agreement with me, are arguing. Which has been part of the problem from the very beginning.

What we are arguing about is that a person who does not work professionally can make an insightful and astute observation about a singular draft choice of one player over another. And that such an observation can be correct and that a response of "well you're not a scout" is absolutely meaningless in response to such an observation. Sorry if you really don't think the analogy is relevant, but I disagree. I think it's exactly the point.

brakeyawself

Oct 5, 2006
Giving your 2 cents is absolutely fine and expected. It's a message board

But to play out your balls and strikes analogy.... you're not a umpire...yet you make the ball call frequently and present that call as fact

That's cool that you do that....but given the manner in which you do it, you should expect a bit of push back now and again

Now THAT is truly not a relevant analogy. Because we aren't even talking about a matter of fact. We are, at it's foundation, talking about a matter of opinion. And why would someone need to be an umpire in order to have a relevant opinion about whether a pitch is a ball or a strike? Being an umpire has absolutely nothing to do with the observation. And coaches regularly storm the field when they disagree with the umpire. Yet they are not umpires.

And no, I don't state opinion as fact. I state opinion as opinion with reason. There's a significant difference.

brakeyawself

Oct 5, 2006
And finding value by ignoring pre-conceived biases.

Like that pitcher who threw a baseball like a space alien who had never seen a baseball before.

I am literally weeping at how elegant and poignant that statement is. It summarizes so much of what has happened here. Thank you.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad