Recalled/Assigned: Tyler Bertuzzi

Wingsfan 4 life

Oct 9, 2016
I know people like his personality and antics, but dude really is an AHL level player offensively at this stage.

He should be waived for one of Mantha or Bertuzzi when Vanek comes back.

All players should be able to provide at least some level of offense, with the way the league is now.

The argument proposed boiled down to grit=offense. That's demonstrably untrue, in Ott's case. No one otherwise suggested Ott was signed to score a lot of points.

Could've fooled me.

Sorry, should have quoted before.

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
They are definitely not showcasing Bertuzzi as he adds grit and physical play which is needed for the Wings today.

They must need some versality on offense today is my guess.

Trouba rumors have heated up lately though.
Definitely not? I'd say probably not, mostly because Holland rarely trades at all. But if there is a trade in the works, we know Holland wants to protect the big guys (AA/Svech/Mantha), and we know guys like Smith/Sheahan/Sproul/Ouellet are unlikely to hold enough value to other teams to get a deal done. Bertuzzi is the middle ground, a very good prospect but not untouchable.

Imo the reasoning Blash gives is kinda vague too. Mantha would fit right in on the wing with Larkin-Nielsen. Something needs to happen with Trouba before Dec 1 so now is the time to showcase any prospects that you're offering up.

TheRatPoisoner

Feb 23, 2015
does Mantha not getting called up have anything to do with the possible exposure to the expansion draft? He needs to play 40 games to be exposure eligible. maybe their plan is to play him 39. I am not sure if it works like that though.

Pretty sure the have to protect him regardless of how many games he's played

PelagicJoe

Mar 20, 2012
St. Louis, MO
I'm ok with this. Holmstrom, Franzen, and Todd Bertuzzi are all gone now, so we have been lacking in the power forward dept save for Abdelkader. Give Lil Bert a couple of games and see what happens. Vanek on LTIR is going to hurt us. He is our best player, IMO.
EDIT: I'm all for Mantha coming up too. Bench and or trade Sheahan if his production doesn't pick up.

njx9

Feb 1, 2016
Easy. Lil Bert brings grit and plays with an edge. It's very noticeable this team right now is having a very hard time carrying the puck into the opponents zone, and having an especially hard time creating offensive chances inside the circles. I think if they brought Mantha up, its just another speedy forward who may or may not bring the edge that Bertuzzi could bring. At this point in time, the Wings need to create space and Bertuzzi might bring that more than Mantha.

I don't think lack of 'edge' has anything to do with their failure to carry the puck in, forecheck, or pressure opposing puck carriers. It's been the team's MO for years, and I think it's more reflective of the coaching/philosophy than anything. Ott's 'grit' hasn't really been an offensive catalyst, and the grit line has been a possession black hole.

Could've fooled me.

Sorry, should have quoted before.

The first thing you quoted was in response to the above. That was the missing context.

LeighDx59

Nov 23, 2011
Detroit, MI
Should be interesting to see if Schenn starts "accidentally" hitting guys like Smith or our goalie again with Bertuzzi running around. I'm all for this, id also prefer them to waive Miller to bring Mantha up too, but we cant win them all.

Flowah

Nov 30, 2009
makes me think they see their problems as an "effort" or "grit" issue and not a skill/talent issue. Just look at all of the comments from players, coaches, etc. about having to get to the net, going to the center of the ice, mucking it up... . Mantha's not gritty enough.

That's definitely what they think if you take their words at face value. Blashill was calling it a mistake problem not a state problem. Like we had the talent but just make too many mistakes.

That puzzles the **** outta me. Whether you're looking at the games or just the roster or both, it's clear our roster lacks talent.

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
That's definitely what they think if you take their words at face value. Blashill was calling it a mistake problem not a state problem. Like we had the talent but just make too many mistakes.

That puzzles the **** outta me. Whether you're looking at the games or just the roster or both, it's clear our roster lacks talent.

Yeah, just seems like they're not seeing the forest for the trees. I'm pulling for Bertuzzi and all, and I hope he makes the call-up stick...but if we're looking for a big body that can go to the net and put the puck in, well, Mantha's a pretty big boy.

I'm with at least another poster or two who has said they'd like to see both of them up. I don't see this roster as being good enough to push both of them to GR. Especially with injuries now hitting and looking pretty lousy on this losing skid.

njx9

Feb 1, 2016
If you bring them both up, I think you have to commit to either using the 4th line differently, or pushing Abbie/Sheahan to the 4th line. I don't think Blash is willing to do either of those.

Ezekial

Cheap Pizza, Okay Hockey
Sponsor
Nov 22, 2015
Chicago
If you bring them both up, I think you have to commit to either using the 4th line differently, or pushing Abbie/Sheahan to the 4th line. I don't think Blash is willing to do either of those.

It's pretty easy to see how much better the roster is with Bert, Mantha, and AA in the top nine and Abby-Glenny-Sheahan on the 4th line. Our PK will be fine, let's go Blash.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Agreed. I sometimes think Holland is stuck in this mindset that Luke/Miller/Ott(Sheahan) are all guys he thinks will be what the Grind Line was. Seeing these guys get more minutes than they should, along with being used to shutdown top lines, makes me wonder if KH really believes these guys are the next Draper/Malts/McCarty(Joey).

Before throwing this kind of crap around, it would be better to look at real statistics and notice that Miller/Ott/Glendening is getting Bottom4 ES Ice-Time (7-10min) and Bottom4 Total Ice-Time 9-12min).

They are used now just like they should. Team lowest, 4th line mins. No reason for critics. Last season was a different story, though.

Blashill/Torchetti are DOING SOMETHING RIGHT.

http://www.nhl.com/stats/player?agg...lter=gamesPlayed,gte,&sort=evTimeOnIcePerGame

njx9

Feb 1, 2016
It's pretty easy to see how much better the roster is with Bert, Mantha, and AA in the top nine and Abby-Glenny-Sheahan on the 4th line. Our PK will be fine, let's go Blash.

Hey, I fully agree with that. But I can't imagine the team 'demoting' Abbie *and* Sheahan, *and* waiving/sending-to-GR Miller/Ott to enable it.

Somewhat joking, but I don't think Blash would be able to ensure that all three guys only got 9 or so minutes a night, either, which makes it even more unlikely they'd all come up together.

Yemack

Oct 30, 2007
Bert is nice and all but I doubt he can do much when rest of the team is reeling.

Wings should focus on tilting the ice more rather than have one or two guys up from minor hoping they are going to make a difference.

It's about time Wings start skating again. Our puck pressure has been very lax last couple games. We have to push the other team so that they dont get a idea that we can be easily pushed around.

Apr 14, 2009
Canada
Lol Mantha has 7 goals in 9 games. NOT good enough!! He should have 20 goals in 9 games in order to get a recall!

WingedWheel1987

Jan 11, 2011
GPP Michigan
Ummm k.

Does this organization really think more "hard working" forwards aka no skill forwards will keep the ship from sinking?

You win with talent and speed. There isn't any other recipe for success in today's NHL.

Wingsfan 4 life

Oct 9, 2016
The first thing you quoted was in response to the above. That was the missing context.

Yea, I overlooked that. I was more responding to the "Ott is an AHL level player offensively" part.

Well, duh, everybody and there mother pretty much knows that by now, but offense, whether its AHL or NHL level isn't what he's getting paid to do.

Spitfire11

Jan 17, 2003
Ontario
Why do we want Mantha called up anyway? He's finally doing well, let him stay at least 1/2 the year and get his confidence back. Calling him up now to this dumpster fire of a team, what are the odds he actually does well? Most likely he'll have a poor stretch like everyone else on the team, then when he needs to get sent down he's been set back.

Giving Bertuzzi a callup should be a boost, give him the thought that he might actually get a chance to crack the country club. Plus, he'll bring more entertainment to this boring *** team.

theYman

Feb 28, 2008
Agreed. I sometimes think Holland is stuck in this mindset that Luke/Miller/Ott(Sheahan) are all guys he thinks will be what the Grind Line was. Seeing these guys get more minutes than they should, along with being used to shutdown top lines, makes me wonder if KH really believes these guys are the next Draper/Malts/McCarty(Joey)

Its mind boggling to say the least. I went down to the game last night and I have never been so bored in my life watching a hockey game. Thank god for McDavid last night, at least he was interesting.

Whats sad is that grind line could be our 3rd line on this team. Thanks Holland.

Reddwit

Feb 4, 2016
Bertuzzi is not the type pf player you call up to help you win games.

This management team is very confused. Back when they could've been winning cup after cup with the skill they had, they refused to give up picks and prospects for the grit they needed. Now that they lack the skill, they're all about incorporating grit.

Grit, without skill, gets you nowhere. Otts, Drakes, Commodores, young Helms and Abdelkaders and Clearys- they're amazing assets when you have the skill to complement them. They're the type of players that put you over the edge. But they are not the type of players who elevate a team when your "skilled" payers aren't game-changers. And they certainly aren't the type of players you construct your team with when your defense doesn't have the collective brain to play an airtight game.

Now, I agree with whichever poster (Frk It?) pointed out that this call-up could be much more about getting Bertuzzi some NHL games before he runs out of waiver options, so I'm not particularly upset that we brought up Bertuzzi over Mantha, but I sure as hell don't buy the general feeling on this board that we'd be okay if we just had more fight in our game.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad