Recalled/Assigned: Tyler Bertuzzi

Shaman464

No u
May 1, 2009
Boston, MA
They are definitely not showcasing Bertuzzi as he adds grit and physical play which is needed for the Wings today.

They must need some versality on offense today is my guess.

Trouba rumors have heated up lately though.

No way Little bert adds grit to this team, he's 25 pounds south of 200. He tries anything and he will be thrown into the stands.

sully6one

Unregistered User
Aug 6, 2011
Michigan
No way Little bert adds grit to this team, he's 25 pounds south of 200. He tries anything and he will be thrown into the stands.

For real? So you have to be 200 lbs to add grit? Let Shaw know he needs to start being a skilled player, he's too light to be gritty. He's also close to 200 lbs by the way.

njx9

Feb 1, 2016
Grit, without skill, gets you nowhere. Otts, Drakes, Commodores, young Helms and Abdelkaders and Clearys- they're amazing assets when you have the skill to complement them. They're the type of players that put you over the edge. But they are not the type of players who elevate a team when your "skilled" payers aren't game-changers. And they certainly aren't the type of players you construct your team with when your defense doesn't have the collective brain to play an airtight game.

100% agree. Helm and Abbie would be fantastic complements to those early to late 00's teams, but they add little to this team. It's the biggest issue I had with Helm's resigning.

But that said, it's sort of all we've got. We don't find late round stars anymore. We don't draft high enough to find stars easily. So we're stuck with a bunch of guys who are almost good enough. Bleh, it's frustrating.

Why are people raging at Bertuzzi being called up? Hell, at least someone has been called up to try and spark some life into this team.

I don't see anyone 'raging' at Bertuzzi being up, so much as not thinking it's a move designed to win games. The team needed a Vanek replacement, and Mantha has, in the past, looked to fit that bill far better than Bertuzzi. I don't think anyone is upset that Bert is getting a look this season (most folks wanted him to get a look this season), but I think it's frustrating to see the team make moves that don't make a lot of rational sense.

Number1RedWingsFan52

Mar 17, 2013
Winter Haven Florida
This kind of puzzles me by Tyler Bertuzzi would be called up and not Mantha. I guess Vanek will be back late November or early December by the sound of things. I thought that Holland would give Mantha a shot especially the way he started out in Grand Rapids but oh well good luck to Lil Bert.

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
Stick him on a line with Ott and let them go crazy. The flyers are a team that will lose focus on a hockey game fast. Also, go pound Schenns head in

silkyjohnson50

Jan 10, 2007
Bert won the 1st callup on the training camp + pre-season. He was better there.

Then why wasn't Jensen the first defencemen called up the prior two years, where he was clearly the best defencemen prospect throughout the preseasons?

Peter Tosh

Dec 19, 2007
As an aside, does he wear 44 with the Wings?

I'm more fond of the prospect of Tyler Bertuzzi wearing #44 than Axel Holmström wearing #96
s-l225.jpg

njx9

Feb 1, 2016
Full time NHL duties... If he doesn't score, then where do you put him?

He'd fit right in with Z, Tatar, Sheahan or Abbie, in terms of not scoring. I'm not sure his line slot is really a concern, in that case.

Heaton

Feb 13, 2004
Auburn Hills
Honestly from watching them this year, I'd say Bert is more ready. Mantha will be called up eventually but I remember when we played Cleveland a week or two ago and thinking to myself the Bert is ready.

I'll be pretty shocked if Bertuzzi actually produces at an NHL level, Mantha on the other hand should be a top 6 player.

HockeyinHD

Semi-retired former active poster.
Jun 18, 2006
So if Mantha got called up now and circumstances prevented Bertuzzi from getting a callup later would that be used as a subsequent hammer to smash Holland with, that he never found a way to get Bert up on the NHL roster to 'see what he can do'?

If Vanek is going to be gone for a long-ish while there's little to suggest Bertuzzi's callup is more than a 10 day shot (barring him running with the gig, which is unlikely), and then Mantha comes up to replace him.

Bert gets some NHL time, the team can make it's semi-final call on his future with the franchise, Mantha comes up in December and gets 30+ NHL games.

Seems like a reasonable path that addresses a couple different concerns, roster wise.

HIFE

May 10, 2011
Detroit, MI
After 2 games what do you think of lil' Bert?

Physically he seems slightly immature but made several smart, simple plays. One I remember is the puck came near our blue line going up ice and Bertuzzi had to battle to not get pinched on. Sounds like no big deal but there was a need for desperation at that moment and Bert got it through. He was successful putting pucks deep and wasn't burned in any way. I'd say he's a crafty player. Hockey sense is difficult to teach and Bertuzzi has it.

Would you rather Bertuzzi replace Sheahan right now? I don't know. I'm excited to watch Bert grow as he gets comfortable but don't think he's as strong as Sheahan overall.

I'm satisfied he fits in and could have a place in the NHL.

Yzerman1919*

Feb 10, 2013
I wasn't impressed honestly. Small sample size but playing against big boys he didn't stand out for a single shift IMO.

He can use some more time in GR and the weight room. I'm sure nerves/jitters to play safe to keep your call up plays a role in this too.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad