Recalled/Assigned: Tyler Bertuzzi

Number1RedWingsFan52

Mar 17, 2013
Winter Haven Florida
Larkin - Nielsen - Abdelkader
Mantha - Zetterberg - Nyquist
Tatar - Sheahan - Bertuzzi
Miller - Glendening - Ott

These are the lines I would like to see, don't know if the ''Glendening on the 2nd line'' experiment is over or not, it worked last game.

This could be the lines for tomorrow game against the Caps, But Vanek will be back on Sunday against the Flames. So either Miller or Ott will be sitting for that one.

Dotter

THE ATHLETIC IS GARBAGE
Jul 2, 2014
Imprisonment, TN
goo.gl
Tyler Bertuzzi is going to be 22 soon. The little we saw him in the NHL, I didn't really notice anything special about him like I did with Glendenning in his first handful of games.

Not saying Lil' Bert is a disappointment, but I am questioning if he will ever bring the special skillset that was advertised? I was hoping for more of an Andrew Shaw, but just not seeing it so far.

Has anyone else questioned if Little Bert is ever going to bring a special element to this team?

If nothing else, Bert was free as Wings traded their 18th pick to SJS for their 20th and 58th (Tyler Bertuzzi)

Your thoughts on lil Bert so far?

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Tyler Bertuzzi is going to be 22 soon. The little we saw him in the NHL, I didn't really notice anything special about him like I did with Glendenning in his first handful of games.

Not saying Lil' Bert is a disappointment, but I am questioning if he will ever bring the special skillset that was advertised? I was hoping for more of an Andrew Shaw, but just not seeing it so far.

Has anyone else questioned if Little Bert is ever going to bring a special element to this team?

If nothing else, Bert was free as Wings traded their 18th pick to SJS for their 20th and 58th (Tyler Bertuzzi)

He also didn't succeed on my scoring chance data. 4th line is not the easiest place to create offence for anybody, but he was worse than Miller and Ott on average. So... he's not ready. I think he has that clutch scoring on him, that's obvious, he has lethal wrister etc. But somehow I think he should have been more selfish and not just play that solid defensive game 4th liners are asked to do. He was not a liability though.

I've always seen him as a guy who jumps in at playoffs and does some damage from the Bottom6, when nobody expects it. That has happened now at many levels.

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland

Shaw was probably towards the upper end of Bertuzzi's ceiling, so if he doesn't get there I'm not going to hold it against him. I think he could be a very effective fourth liner, though. He's not bad defensively, he's got some scoring touch, and he embraces the physical part of the game. If the makeup of the roster was a bit different, I wouldn't mind seeing him with Glendening as 2/3 of our fourth line this season.

If everyone's healthy, though, it's hard finding space- especially when cases for moving guys like Gator down the lineup are being made and putting a bit of a pinch on the bottom half of the forward corp.

Dotter

THE ATHLETIC IS GARBAGE
Jul 2, 2014
Imprisonment, TN
goo.gl
It does seem management was high on him. The glowing stuff they said about him got me excited. I don't think redwingscentral is still up anymore to go back and read it.

SirloinUB

Aug 20, 2010
Canada
It does seem management was high on him. The glowing stuff they said about him got me excited. I don't think redwingscentral is still up anymore to go back and read it.

When we get some bodies back he'll head back to the AHL. Guy still isn't ready for the show and it showed in his time with the big club.

I still like him as a prospect and he can be a useful bottom 6er for the org.

HIFE

May 10, 2011
Detroit, MI
Shaw was probably towards the upper end of Bertuzzi's ceiling, so if he doesn't get there I'm not going to hold it against him. I think he could be a very effective fourth liner, though. He's not bad defensively, he's got some scoring touch, and he embraces the physical part of the game. If the makeup of the roster was a bit different, I wouldn't mind seeing him with Glendening as 2/3 of our fourth line this season.

If everyone's healthy, though, it's hard finding space- especially when cases for moving guys like Gator down the lineup are being made and putting a bit of a pinch on the bottom half of the forward corp.

Great points. He could replace Miller this season though doubt it would happen. In the case of Miller sitting Jurco would be next in line? I have hope Bertuzzi will be a solid fixture next season.

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland

well, they also made some vague comparisons between Jarnkrok and Zetterberg, didn't they? ;) At the same time they referred to Larkin as hopefully being Helm with hands, so who knows. I miss redwingscentral, though.

I remember them being high on Bert, too, though. At the same time, being a high end fourth liner isn't a horrible thing.

Great points. He could replace Miller this season though doubt it would happen. In the case of Miller sitting Jurco would be next in line? I have hope Bertuzzi will be a solid fixture next season.

Yeah, I have to think Jurco is next in line this season. And if he finds his game again with his back fixed he would be a very good player and deserves to be ahead of Bertuzzi. We just have to see if he can find that game he had the first thirty or so games he was up before he hurt his back.

Rzombo4 prez

May 17, 2012
While they may have been high on him, no one every projected him to be a top-six forward. If you were expecting him to show the skill set of a top six forward you need to pay more attention.

I am fine with his performance. He is on pace to be an effective, bottom-six NHL forward. I think he (as well as Nosek for that matter) could play full time on our fourth line without setting us back one bit.

Dotter

THE ATHLETIC IS GARBAGE
Jul 2, 2014
Imprisonment, TN
goo.gl
While they may have been high on him, no one every projected him to be a top-six forward. If you were expecting him to show the skill set of a top six forward you need to pay more attention.

I am fine with his performance. He is on pace to be an effective, bottom-six NHL forward. I think he (as well as Nosek for that matter) could play full time on our fourth line without setting us back one bit.

My hope was a top 9 who you could move up and down the lineup. Even if he plays his entire career on the 4th line or 13th forward, that's still good value for a free player.

Elmo Oxygen

Feb 26, 2014
He embraces the physical part of the game.

I'd really like some video evidence for this (at least at the NHL level). For him engaging in a puck battle, making a meaningful hit, anything really. He seems to be such a perimeter player to me, coasting around in circles like his Uncle did as his career was winding down. He seems physically weak, not much of a fluid skater, and not even close to the pest the Red Wings mgmt/pr/Helene wants us to think. I guess I'm not convinced. I'm not a huge Abdelkader fan or a Steve Ott fan, but those guys OBVIOUSLY engage physically.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
When we get some bodies back he'll head back to the AHL. Guy still isn't ready for the show and it showed in his time with the big club.

I still like him as a prospect and he can be a useful bottom 6er for the org.

He did look very good at pre-season games. Was offensively creative, went fearlessly in corners. Created chances. I just think that he did what coaches wanted and played just defensive hockey in real NHL games and nothing else. Same could be happening in AHL.

I still think he has a big factor on his effort, what the stakes are. Normal regular season = meh. He could get bored. "But give me playoff game... when it matters..."

OHL playoffs, Memorial Cup, AHL playoffs, he has thrived in all of them every season.

So, only thing what I think is missing, is professional motivation. "To be that "everydayer, like Babcock said." He has that motivation at playoff games, he raises his level at HUGE way. He needs to learn pro habits and bring this pro attitude also better way for regular season games. He was good when there was competition = challenge, at pre-season games. It tells for me about his nature.

Last edited:

SirloinUB

Aug 20, 2010
Canada
I'd really like some video evidence for this (at least at the NHL level). For him engaging in a puck battle, making a meaningful hit, anything really. He seems to be such a perimeter player to me, coasting around in circles like his Uncle did as his career was winding down. He seems physically weak, not much of a fluid skater, and not even close to the pest the Red Wings mgmt/pr/Helene wants us to think. I guess I'm not convinced. I'm not a huge Abdelkader fan or a Steve Ott fan, but those guys OBVIOUSLY engage physically.

FWIW, 4th on the team in Hits/game but I have no video evidence.

It certainly stands to reason that he would seem weak. He is still a young kid and is still physically developing.

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland

no offense, but I'm not going to start culling google searches for his physical play with the wings. Has he been as engaged as Gator or Ott? No, but he's also getting his first real look in Detroit in quite awhile and is playing like the inexperienced kid trying not to make a glaring error that he is. I have seen him engage in puck battles, though. I've seen take the body. He's willing and able to do it, and his track record says that it's a game he's more than willing to play.

As SirloinUB mentions, he does look physically weak, which is to be expected to some degree because of his age (though he should be stronger, imo). I think his technique isn't always the best, either. This is something where I think playing routinely with Ott would help. Ott plays a game that I could see being a good model for Little Bert.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->