Recalled/Assigned: Tyler Bertuzzi

Lazlo Hollyfeld

The jersey ad still sucks
Mar 4, 2004
IMHO

Bert and Mantha add very little at this point to our roster.
They will not fix this team.
His call up is RELATIVELY unimportant. I could care less who they call up. Just as long as they both get called up at SOME point.

Mantha will be on the NHL roster Next year.
Good enough for me.

Lets just cheer for each kid when they get their chance shall we?
This pissing contest over which kid seems to be getting old, as most of our prospects have been dissappointing to me.

Sheahan / Jurco / Pulkkinen have unfortunetly all played poorly in their chances.

Nyquist and Tatar have excelled over the last few years. I dont care about 20 games in the AHL for Nyquist 3 years ago now.

Why does "fixing the team" need to be the standard? no single call up from the minors will do that.

For me it's simply, you lose Vanek. Your top two options to replace him are Mantha or Bertuzzi. Who do you pick?

Going with Bertuzzi is a head scratcher.

chances14

Jan 7, 2010
Michigan
the treatment of mantha by the wings management the last few years has been bizarre and ridiculous

wings tell him to go tear up the AHL, which he does. but then gets passed over for a top 6 call up

I would not at all blame him if he refused to play another game for the wings organization

Wingsfan 4 life

Oct 9, 2016
Not really starved for offense, but we definitely need to put more shots on net regularly, from pretty much anywhere and everywhere they can on the ice. Wings are in the bottom 3 in that department, and eventually the puck luck will run out, if it hasn't already.

I'm not expecting a shooting gallery from Bert, but if he can create some havoc and get more opposing eyeballs on him and maybe open up some of our supposed top scorers, assuming they can accually get the puck at the net. I'd be happy, win or lose.

Huddy*

Aug 6, 2009
Bloomfield Hills, MI
Don't hate that he's up but I don't understand why it's not Mantha

Easy. Lil Bert brings grit and plays with an edge. It's very noticeable this team right now is having a very hard time carrying the puck into the opponents zone, and having an especially hard time creating offensive chances inside the circles. I think if they brought Mantha up, its just another speedy forward who may or may not bring the edge that Bertuzzi could bring. At this point in time, the Wings need to create space and Bertuzzi might bring that more than Mantha.

TheRatPoisoner

Feb 23, 2015
This is a really, really stupid decision IMO. We need scoring and maybe a bit of size. Anthony Mantha is a goal scoring winger that just so happens to be 6'5. Mantha has scored at this level, and helped the PP so much last time. We already have Ott, Abby and Helm up too. I want to see Bertuzzi in the NHL but over Mantha, no. Blash has a history of mind boggling decisions with Mantha as well. Mantha just got slapped in the face.

You'd also think if they had some kind of vision in mind for the direction that they wanted to take the team when they created this roster, they'd look to replace Vanek with the player that most closely resembles him in their system, which would be Mantha.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
You'd also think if they had some kind of vision in mind for the direction that they wanted to take the team when they created this roster, they'd look to replace Vanek with the player that most closely resembles him in their system, which would be Mantha.

Not sure if you've been watching this season, but I doubt Mantha could provide what Vanek has so far.

I'd prefer to have them both in the lineup, personally.

njx9

Feb 1, 2016
Easy. Lil Bert brings grit and plays with an edge. It's very noticeable this team right now is having a very hard time carrying the puck into the opponents zone, and having an especially hard time creating offensive chances inside the circles. I think if they brought Mantha up, its just another speedy forward who may or may not bring the edge that Bertuzzi could bring. At this point in time, the Wings need to create space and Bertuzzi might bring that more than Mantha.

I don't think lack of 'edge' has anything to do with their failure to carry the puck in, forecheck, or pressure opposing puck carriers. It's been the team's MO for years, and I think it's more reflective of the coaching/philosophy than anything. Ott's 'grit' hasn't really been an offensive catalyst, and the grit line has been a possession black hole.

TheRatPoisoner

Feb 23, 2015
Not sure if you've been watching this season, but I doubt Mantha could provide what Vanek has so far.

I'd prefer to have them both in the lineup, personally.

I said most closely resemble, not be an exact clone of.

I'd say it's fair to say that Mantha is more similar to Vanek than baby Bert is, no?

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
I don't think lack of 'edge' has anything to do with their failure to carry the puck in, forecheck, or pressure opposing puck carriers. It's been the team's MO for years, and I think it's more reflective of the coaching/philosophy than anything. Ott's 'grit' hasn't really been an offensive catalyst, and the grit line has been a possession black hole.

I know people like his personality and antics, but dude really is an AHL level player offensively at this stage.

He should be waived for one of Mantha or Bertuzzi when Vanek comes back.

Huddy*

Aug 6, 2009
Bloomfield Hills, MI
All players should be able to provide at least some level of offense.

Agreed. I sometimes think Holland is stuck in this mindset that Luke/Miller/Ott(Sheahan) are all guys he thinks will be what the Grind Line was. Seeing these guys get more minutes than they should, along with being used to shutdown top lines, makes me wonder if KH really believes these guys are the next Draper/Malts/McCarty(Joey)

Its mind boggling to say the least. I went down to the game last night and I have never been so bored in my life watching a hockey game. Thank god for McDavid last night, at least he was interesting.

lakai17

Aug 10, 2006
They are definitely not showcasing Bertuzzi as he adds grit and physical play which is needed for the Wings today.

They must need some versality on offense today is my guess.

Trouba rumors have heated up lately though.

Wood Stick

Dec 25, 2015
They are definitely not showcasing Bertuzzi as he adds grit and physical play which is needed for the Wings today.

They must need some versality on offense today is my guess.

Trouba rumors have heated up lately though.

The Wings need offensive skill going forward and PP help. They're also small on the boards which Mantha has gotten pretty good at.

Wood Stick

Dec 25, 2015
Just a thought.

Nyquist-Nielsen-Mantha
Larkin-Zetterberg-Abdelkader
AA-Helm-Tatar
Ott-Glendening-Sheahan

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad