Player Discussion Tyler Benson

oilexport

Aug 29, 2010
(referencing the last post)

All posts directly saying, or implying that he won't ever become a top 6 player. Clearly I'm the dramatic one right? not the people putting a ceiling on him based off 14 minutes of play?

I'm fine with Benson being sent back down, because it's obvious he was never going to get a chance to do anything this time around. I don't personally agree with how his recall was handled and believe he wasn't given nearly enough time for anyone to draw a conclusion, including himself on what he needs to work on, but we won't know whether it was a good or bad move until further down the road.

My main concerns are the oilers winning, and Mcdavid and Drai not being burnt out when we need them most down the stretch and in the playoffs, so the coach playing ANYONE for 5 minutes or less a game is just dumb. Whether it be Benson, Haas, or Kassian, none of them cost us any goals or played so poorly that they should be sitting so we can run McDrai into the ground some more, especially when khaira has been playing as much as he has been lately.. Just because I feel like Benson was shafted doesn't mean I'd have preferred he was responsible for goals against and we lost with him getting 15 minutes of icetime. The coach didn't give him a chance to make an impact on either side of the ice.
So half our youngsters on the farm got shafted too, because they did not get big minutes in the NHL yet ?

Your a little farfetched, quoting snipits of posters who dont see greatness in him yet. All the posters I read here wanna give this guy every chance to succeed. Cave, Marody, bouchard are all in the same boat along with a dozen others. Not ready yet, jury still out.

Do you have a personal view of this player which is clouding your judgement ?

Just because a lot of people have not seen top potential in him yet, does not mean they write him off.

Read the responses again without your sunglasses on.

oilexport

Aug 29, 2010
You never saw any skill set with Yamamoto why are you lying? Lol your not sure Yam can stick in the NHL. Okay Milbury

What do you mean ? I said I saw skill with yamo, yet he's not proven to stick in the NHL yet. Too small a sample size. He Looks good thou and projects to stay.

3IR

Feb 12, 2019
So half our youngsters on the farm got shafted too, because they did not get big minutes in the NHL yet ?

Your a little farfetched, quoting snipits of posters who dont see greatness in him yet. All the posters I read here wanna give this guy every chance to succeed. Cave, Marody, bouchard are all in the same boat along with a dozen others. Not ready yet, jury still out.

Do you have a personal view of this player which is clouding your judgement ?

Just because a lot of people have not seen top potential in him yet, does not mean they write him off.

Read the responses again without your sunglasses on.

comparing benson to any other prospect on the farm is dumb. He’s put in 2 seasons where he’s lead the team in points as one of the youngest players without getting a call up, and in his first call up after all that time in, he gets 2 games at 7 minutes average per game.

that’s being shafted yeah. People like to compare his call up to yamos, but even yamo only had 1 sub 10 minute game in his first time in the NHL. I think his tryout went a bit longer than it needed to, but 5 ish games with 12-15 minutes a game seems completely reasonable to let a rookie get his nerves out after all that time in, as long as he’s not costing us games.

Writing him off as a top 6 player is what people are doing, not writing him off completely as an nhl player, which again is incredibly premature and has to be based on his 14 minutes of icetime, because his development to this point has shown nothing that should lead anyone to cap him at a third liner.

Reactions: Aerrol

oilexport

Aug 29, 2010
comparing benson to any other prospect on the farm is dumb. He’s put in 2 seasons where he’s lead the team in points as one of the youngest players without getting a call up, and in his first call up after all that time in, he gets 2 games at 7 minutes average per game.

that’s being shafted yeah. People like to compare his call up to yamos, but even yamo only had 1 sub 10 minute game in his first time in the NHL. I think his tryout went a bit longer than it needed to, but 5 ish games with 12-15 minutes a game seems completely reasonable to let a rookie get his nerves out after all that time in, as long as he’s not costing us games.

Writing him off as a top 6 player is what people are doing, not writing him off completely as an nhl player, which again is incredibly premature and has to be based on his 14 minutes of icetime, because his development to this point has shown nothing that should lead anyone to cap him at a third liner.
You have interpreted the posts wrong. Your being irrational. Bouchard could complain about being the best prospect with no opportunity.

You are favoring this player.

You sound like pool parties agent regarding that player.

We here in edmonton dont hold back potential top 6 players, we kinda need those guys....

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
Oh quit crying about not getting his chance. No playing time, blah blah. It's quite obvious he needs work. We have seen the player a lot in the last 3 years. Exhibition, AHL and since he was 10 years old.

Players decide there fate with hard work and commitment. Bear is a good example, most had him with little chance before this year. He busts his butt in summer and hits the top 4 in NHL.

It remains to be seen what Benson turns into. Right now he's projecting top 9. Lower 9.

There is always whining that a player wasnt given a chance.
Nothings changed there.

I mean it couldnt be more obvious that he couldnt keep up with the pace and yet posters expected top 6 minutes. Minutes against the other teams best dmen...yeah...that would have fixed things. :sarcasm:

I really dont see what the problem is here. He isnt ready...he will get ready in the AHL.
Let him mature as a player with Woodcroft. Thata exactly how these things are supposed to play out.

Reactions: MessierII

GhostfaceWu

Shi Shaw
Feb 11, 2015
Oh quit crying about not getting his chance. No playing time, blah blah. It's quite obvious he needs work. We have seen the player a lot in the last 3 years. Exhibition, AHL and since he was 10 years old.

Players decide there fate with hard work and commitment. Bear is a good example, most had him with little chance before this year. He busts his butt in summer and hits the top 4 in NHL.

It remains to be seen what Benson turns into. Right now he's projecting top 9. Lower 9.
Bear started the season playing with Klefbom and than Nurse comparing him to Benson who played with Haas and Kassian and got a whopping 5 minutes of ice time is dumb. If this team had legitimate wingers for Mcdavid nobody would even complain about Benson not getting an opportunity but that isn't the case he sat most of the game for plugs like Gagner/Chiasson/Khaira with the 2 former getting pretty much all their minutes with the best player in the world. It is quite obvious he needs work? Wow you can pull all of that from 2 games where he played a combined 10 minutes? Please do tell us your secrets on scouting when you can size up a player where he gets like 6 shifts a game where there is 5-10 minutes of playing time before their next shift.

oilexport

Aug 29, 2010
Bear started the season playing with Klefbom and than Nurse comparing him to Benson who played with Haas and Kassian and got a whopping 5 minutes of ice time is dumb. If this team had legitimate wingers for Mcdavid nobody would even complain about Benson not getting an opportunity but that isn't the case he sat most of the game for plugs like Gagner/Chiasson/Khaira with the 2 former getting pretty much all their minutes with the best player in the world. It is quite obvious he needs work? Wow you can pull all of that from 2 games where he played a combined 10 minutes? Please do tell us your secrets on scouting when you can size up a player where he gets like 6 shifts a game where there is 5-10 minutes of playing time before their next shift.
I'll provide a couple secrets. When I watch Bear, he looks like a good player. He could be paired up with manning and would still look good when chasing down a puck.

Another secret is tippet and holland who get to see benson in practice and exhibition games. They make the call weather a person is ready to even play at the NHL level. Obviously benson is good enough to be a call up so it's not over for him.

Playing 10 mins or whatever in the show is only one aspect to see how a player measures up.

That's the extent of my expertise as a scout.

GhostfaceWu

Shi Shaw
Feb 11, 2015
I'll provide a couple secrets. When I watch Bear, he looks like a good player. He could be paired up with manning and would still look good when chasing down a puck.

Another secret is tippet and holland who get to see benson in practice and exhibition games. They make the call weather a person is ready to even play at the NHL level. Obviously benson is good enough to be a call up so it's not over for him.

Playing 10 mins or whatever in the show is only one aspect to see how a player measures up.

That's the extent of my expertise as a scout.
Yeah because he's played 55 games this year is why you can say that if he had been given 8ish minutes for the first couple games playing with Benning and than got sent down the same way Benson did would you be spouting this same stuff? Probably not. If Yammo was treated the same way during his call up and was forced to try and be productive with our teams bottom 6 would he still be up with the team right now or would he be down in Bakersfield along side Benson? Heres a secret if a player doesn't play anytime outside of the very first shift in the top 6 you don't have enough information to decide whether he's a fit there or not when he plays 5 minutes a game.

oilexport

Aug 29, 2010
Yeah because he's played 55 games this year is why you can say that if he had been given 8ish minutes for the first couple games playing with Benning and than got sent down the same way Benson did would you be spouting this same stuff? Probably not. If Yammo was treated the same way during his call up and was forced to try and be productive with our teams bottom 6 would he still be up with the team right now or would he be down in Bakersfield along side Benson? Heres a secret if a player doesn't play anytime outside of the very first shift in the top 6 you don't have enough information to decide whether he's a fit there or not when he plays 5 minutes a game.
Bear looked good in preseason, long before the opportunity to play regular season. How did benson look in preseason ?

Reactions: harpoon

48g90a138pts

Jun 30, 2016
I'm going to call it how I see it.

James Neal must be ready to come back. So Benson gets sent back.

Not too complicated.

:teach:

Reactions: Drivesaitl

McTonyBrar

Apr 2, 2018
What do you mean ? I said I saw skill with yamo, yet he's not proven to stick in the NHL yet. Too small a sample size. He Looks good thou and projects to stay.
Okay but you should know obviously that Yam had lots of time in the NHL. He didn't have 4 minutes of ice time majority of the time. Benson had 14 minutes of ice time combined. That doesn't show anything

oilexport

Aug 29, 2010
Okay but you should know obviously that Yam had lots of time in the NHL. He didn't have 4 minutes of ice time majority of the time. Benson had 14 minutes of ice time combined. That doesn't show anything
I read that the coach on the farm thought yamo was more ready then benson at this time.

We kinda got to trust our scouts, coaches, and GM's dont we ? They kinda know a thing or 2 about hockey ?

Maybe they just wanna develop benson more on the farm before ruining him here like pool party.

When you impress at the tryout level, you get a chance in some games. You cant complain about no playing time if he doesn't meet that threshold first.

Can the benson supporters think back to exhibition and comment on his play ? He had time there to showcase against lesser players. I did not see much from him in preseason....

Please comment with some rational without bringing up the AHL stats or regular season minutes.

His Ahl stats are good, I'll give ya that !

GhostfaceWu

Shi Shaw
Feb 11, 2015
Bear looked good in preseason, long before the opportunity to play regular season. How did benson look in preseason ?
Yamamoto looked good in preseason the last 2 years were you throwing out the same opinions on him those 2 years that you now have for Bear? Jones looked great in preseason last year and that didn't really develope into anything but you probably saw through that because you have all the secrets to scouting players and what not. Benson looked fine in preseason and than went on to lead the Condors for a 2nd straight year in points I think I'll take that over judging a player when the majority of NHL talent from the team weren't dress for those preseason games. I'd love to hear your reasoning though on why it is better to give Mcdavid the same line mates that continue to fail him game after game instead of giving a prospect who has done everything asked of him up to this point just to get a different take and give Mcdavid something new to work with instead of repeating the same old failure combinations of barely competent AHL players like Chiasson/Gagner.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004

The thing is you have no idea how he looked in practice. I am fine with this decision.
Its not like Tippett has made any mistakes determining a players readiness.

I think people just need to chill a little bit here.

oilexport

Aug 29, 2010
The thing is you have no idea how he looked in practice. I am fine with this decision.
Its not like Tippett has made any mistakes determining a players readiness.

I think people just need to chill a little bit here.
No kidding. Benson is a hometown boy and I'm guessing that he's got a couple big supports here that are a little too anxious.

I'm more worried about McDavid knee !!! The world may indeed be ending !!!

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
He got practices and a few games in. He got a taste and now knows what he has to work on if he didn't already. All in all what should be expected of most young players.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
No kidding. Benson is a hometown boy and I'm guessing that he's got a couple big supports here that are a little too anxious.

I'm more worried about McDavid knee !!! The world may indeed be ending !!!

Am I detecting a little hint of sarcasm there? ;)

oilexport

Aug 29, 2010
Last update I heard was that it was a bruise.

Has there been some additional info today?
My spidey sence scouting skills. Could be nothing, but I'm worried. We dont wanna get off topic in this thread but McDavid knee needs it's own thread.

It's not good.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
My spidey sence scouting skills. Could be nothing, but I'm worried. We dont wanna get off topic in this thread but McDavid knee needs it's own thread.

It's not good.

If Connor didnt finish the game then I would be worried.
So I dont think there is much reason for concern.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad