Twenty games until the trade deadline.

Status
Not open for further replies.

silentbob37*

Barzal is actually the type of prospect we need more of. Aside from landing a slamdunk top 2-3 pick, getting a centre with high potential known for high hockey IQ, good puck skills, fights for loose pucks, etc. is exactly what we need.

Ideally we would have a couple of these calibre guys in the system, that way you're not looking at any single one to be "the guy" to break-out, but instead being confident that your deep system can produce a couple of gems.

As I said, its not horrible to add him, but he isn't what they NEED. You can try to convince yourself that Barzal or a similar prospect = a saved season or something, but that doesn't make it true.

Having multiple good prospects, but no great prospects lands you right where the Leafs are now - a team with some good players but not any really great ones. And just HOPING that more then 1 prospect like Rielly or Nylander exceeds expectations. Why would you want the Leafs to just remain what they are today?

613Leafer

May 26, 2008
Having multiple good prospects, but no great prospects lands you right where the Leafs are now - a team with some good players but not any really great ones. And just HOPING that more then 1 prospect like Rielly or Nylander exceeds expectations. Why would you want the Leafs to just remain what they are today?

When have the Leafs ever had a deep farm system though? I'm not talking about adding one more prospect and hoping he's the difference maker, I'm talking about adding good quality prospects, but adding a lot of them.

We've drafted 6 times in the 2nd round over the past 10 years, and 9 times in the 1st round. Over the past three drafts, we've only drafted 17 times total (NHL gives you 21 by default). So both in terms of overall picks and in terms of high quality picks, we're drafted less than your typical NHL team, and yet hoping to have an above average farm system.

Getting a top 3 pick would be great to help build this team, but it's also unrealistic. What is more realistic is substantially adding to the number of times we draft in the first two rounds overall. That's how you improve your chances of finding those hidden gems, like the Getzlaf/Kopitar/Giroux/Bergeron/Weber/Keith/Subban/etc type of players drafted outside of the top 10 of the draft.

I'm not saying Barzal will be that type of homerun prospect (otherwise I would be a highly paid NHL scout). I'm saying that he's got a skillset that this team needs, and that if we added a bunch of prospects of that calibre, we could be more confident that one of them would breakout and exceed expectations.

Compared to what we're doing now, where we're neither drafting in the top 3 nor drafting a high volume of prospects, which doesnt lead to any particular reason to hope for homerun picks.

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
When have the Leafs ever had a deep farm system though? I'm not talking about adding one more prospect and hoping he's the difference maker, I'm talking about adding good quality prospects, but adding a lot of them.

We've drafted 6 times in the 2nd round over the past 10 years, and 9 times in the 1st round. Over the past three drafts, we've only drafted 17 times total (NHL gives you 21 by default). So both in terms of overall picks and in terms of high quality picks, we're drafted less than your typical NHL team, and yet hoping to have an above average farm system.

Getting a top 3 pick would be great to help build this team, but it's also unrealistic. What is more realistic is substantially adding to the number of times we draft in the first two rounds overall. That's how you improve your chances of finding those hidden gems, like the Getzlaf/Kopitar/Giroux/Bergeron/Weber/Keith/Subban/etc type of players drafted outside of the top 10 of the draft.

I'm not saying Barzal will be that type of homerun prospect (otherwise I would be a highly paid NHL scout). I'm saying that he's got a skillset that this team needs, and that if we added a bunch of prospects of that calibre, we could be more confident that one of them would breakout and exceed expectations.

Compared to what we're doing now, where we're neither drafting in the top 3 nor drafting a high volume of prospects, which doesnt lead to any particular reason to hope for homerun picks.

You have to draft players that you think/hope will be sleepers. Giroux/Eberle drafted at 20 something. Logic dictates that the more players you draft, the better chance you have at finding one. Looks at the Flyers. How many centers did they draft since 2003?
Getting a top 3 pick for this franchise seems like a pipe dream these days. We have about as much of a chance finding a no. 1 C for Kessel as we do trading Kessel to fall to the bottom. I think both are wishful thinking these days.

slozo

Aug 28, 2011
Newmarket, ON
Why would you gut the core for picks, until it comes to Kessel then looking for ap layer to help right away, and then spend money on a center in the off-season? That looks like you want them to make the same old mistakes again - don't really commit to rebuilding, gets some extra firsts (most likely late round), then trade/sign players to improve the team right away.

2 reasons.

1 - I think we'd have to take on salary in any deal for Kessel. He's making over 8 mil, and the team getting him would almost certainly want to shed some. Even in a quick re-build, you need decent players with character to help shape your rookies.

2 - I don't think it necessarily has to be a 5 or 7 year rebuild, I really don't. I feel we have a goalie, and have some other decent pieces . . . only a flawed core. But to make a quicker rebuild, we need a couple of top ten, certainly at least one top 5 pick in the draft.

So extra late round firsts are nice, but what I would aim for as GM is dealing players for potential/certain top ten, top 5 picks. Would take a couple of big, dramatic moves.

Al14

Jul 13, 2007
2 reasons.

1 - I think we'd have to take on salary in any deal for Kessel. He's making over 8 mil, and the team getting him would almost certainly want to shed some. Even in a quick re-build, you need decent players with character to help shape your rookies.

2 - I don't think it necessarily has to be a 5 or 7 year rebuild, I really don't. I feel we have a goalie, and have some other decent pieces . . . only a flawed core. But to make a quicker rebuild, we need a couple of top ten, certainly at least one top 5 pick in the draft.

So extra late round firsts are nice, but what I would aim for as GM is dealing players for potential/certain top ten, top 5 picks. Would take a couple of big, dramatic moves.

I'm not sold on Bernier as a clear #1 going forward! He's too small IMHO, and, has a tendency to give up a weak goal a game!

As for getting top 5 picks, I highly doubt we get any of these, through trade, for the 2015 draft! Too bad!

GordieHoweHatTrick

Sep 20, 2009
Toronto
I don't think they have what it takes to clinch a wild card spot at this point. With that said, I'd trade the following players:

Phaneuf
Franson
Lupul

and focus on re-signing the following players:

Santorelli
Winnik

Then play Clarkson on the PP to kill our offense a little bit to enforce the tank and re-focus on next season after that.

ImpartialNHLfan

Oct 26, 2011
Parts Unknown
I don't think they have what it takes to clinch a wild card spot at this point. With that said, I'd trade the following players:

Phaneuf
Franson
Lupul

Santorelli
Winnik

Then play Clarkson on the PP to kill our offense a little bit to enforce the tank and re-focus on next season after that.

Money well spent for clarkson haha

Faltorvo

Feb 18, 2008
I'm not sold on Bernier as a clear #1 going forward! He's too small IMHO, and, has a tendency to give up a weak goal a game!

As for getting top 5 picks, I highly doubt we get any of these, through trade, for the 2015 draft! Too bad!

that's a fair way to put it about berny but he is the least of our worries, well depending what he is asking for next contract

we will get a top 5 pick this year, just wait and see :) faith.

Suntouchable13

Dec 20, 2003
Toronto, ON

Phaneuf
Franson
Lupul

Santorelli
Winnik

Our offense has not been killed enough already?:laugh:

Faltorvo

Feb 18, 2008

Phaneuf
Franson
Lupul

Santorelli
Winnik

santa,winnik by by also

SeenSchenn2

Itchin' For Mitch
Jun 15, 2010
Thornhill, ON

Phaneuf
Franson
Lupul

Santorelli
Winnik

While Santorelli and Winnik are the types of players we'd like to keep; I'm hoping they're attractive enough to yield some return.

Tak7

Nov 1, 2009
GTA or the UK
While Santorelli and Winnik are the types of players we'd like to keep; I'm hoping they're attractive enough to yield some return.

Yep.

Pending UFAs who have had decent seasons - can be moved for a moderate return for teams looking for secondary players en route to the playoffs.

Santorelli a top 9 guy that can move into your top 6 if you need too, and Winnik a solid bottom 6 forward who can play special teams.

Cash in on them now, or risk losing them for nothing in the summer - it's not a hard decision.

Faltorvo

Feb 18, 2008
Yep.

Pending UFAs who have had decent seasons - can be moved for a moderate return for teams looking for secondary players en route to the playoffs.

Santorelli a top 9 guy that can move into your top 6 if you need too, and Winnik a solid bottom 6 forward who can play special teams.

Cash in on them now, or risk losing them for nothing in the summer - it's not a hard decision.

it's a absolute gimme, no brainer

MajorLeaf

Maj. Conn Smythe
Dec 19, 2008
Ontario
Before the trade deadline the Maple Leafs should inquire with the following teams on their extra draft picks.

Tampa Bay Lightning – They have 2 first round picks and 2 second round picks (TB + NY Rangers)
Edmonton Oilers – They own Pittsburgh’s 2015 first round pick
Columbus Blue Jackets – Columbus has the Leafs 2nd round pick plus their own.
Ottawa Senators - The Senators have their 2nd round + Dallas’ 2nd round pick.

Tampa Bay could upgrade on defense or depth for playoffs and the Oilers could use defensemen or upgrade in goaltending. Ottawa would be difficult to make a deal because of division rivals and of course the Sabres own 3 first round picks and 3 second round picks, but they are rebuilding and would not want anything from the Leafs.

Hopefully one of the above teams listed would be interested in Leafs players for picks/prospects.

The Leafs should trade to a contender all of the UFA players at the very least. That means players that should move are:

Cody Franson
Mike Santorelli
Daniel Winnick
David Booth (for anything)
Korbinian Holzer

The Leafs should try to trade James Reimer finally to a team like Minnesota that could use goaltending or perhaps the Dallas Stars.

The RFA players left are Kadri, Holland and Panik. Find out by the NHL draft what these players are asking and see if it’s worth keeping them or perhaps trading them at the draft. Bernier will be an RFA as well, but he will most likely be re-signed by the Leafs at all cost.

If the Leafs can start doing the above they will be set up for this upcoming draft and the next draft to hopefully stockpile some good prospects for the Leafs to be impact players in 2+ years time.

TheLeafsBro

Mar 14, 2014
London, ON
Nonis will do his destructions though before that. He'll trade for some for certainly. We might be getting some huge player in return, but we'll be losing some guys also. Phaneuf, Gardiner and even Kessel might be moving if nonis wants to destruct really magnifocully. Nonis wants to leave a mark, so be afraid. We might win some too, so it's kind of fun.

Ok interesting. Now in English please?

Erdinger

Oct 6, 2011
Toronto
I don't know. After seeing Clarkson try to go all Boyd Devereaux Wednesday night against Ottawa this guy scares me. Everything he does screws this team.

Tyler Biggs*

Kessel reminds me of Jarri Kurri. Great players but Edmonton never expected Kurri to lead them. I don't think he could have led a team the way people expect Kessel to lead Leafs. Kessel is very good at what he does. Stop expecting him to be what he isn't

Laugh at Phil all you want. He's always in top 5 scoring in the league.

Leafspoison*

Nonis trades Kessel for a 3rd pick. Shanny gives Nonis a 10 year extension.

Its the only organization in the wold that gives mediocrity a raise.

studebaker17

Jan 24, 2010
Before the trade deadline the Maple Leafs should inquire with the following teams on their extra draft picks.

Tampa Bay Lightning – They have 2 first round picks and 2 second round picks (TB + NY Rangers)
Edmonton Oilers – They own Pittsburgh’s 2015 first round pick
Columbus Blue Jackets – Columbus has the Leafs 2nd round pick plus their own.
Ottawa Senators - The Senators have their 2nd round + Dallas’ 2nd round pick.

Tampa Bay could upgrade on defense or depth for playoffs and the Oilers could use defensemen or upgrade in goaltending. Ottawa would be difficult to make a deal because of division rivals and of course the Sabres own 3 first round picks and 3 second round picks, but they are rebuilding and would not want anything from the Leafs.

Hopefully one of the above teams listed would be interested in Leafs players for picks/prospects.

The Leafs should trade to a contender all of the UFA players at the very least. That means players that should move are:

Cody Franson
Mike Santorelli
Daniel Winnick
David Booth (for anything)
Korbinian Holzer

The Leafs should try to trade James Reimer finally to a team like Minnesota that could use goaltending or perhaps the Dallas Stars.

The RFA players left are Kadri, Holland and Panik. Find out by the NHL draft what these players are asking and see if it’s worth keeping them or perhaps trading them at the draft. Bernier will be an RFA as well, but he will most likely be re-signed by the Leafs at all cost.

If the Leafs can start doing the above they will be set up for this upcoming draft and the next draft to hopefully stockpile some good prospects for the Leafs to be impact players in 2+ years time.

1st i doubt any of those players get a 1st rd pick, maybe Franson but a late one if at all. The rest i doubt they would even get a second rd pick.
2nd unless these picks are top 3 picks they're not making an impact in 2+ yrs , more likely 4 to 6 yrs away unless they get lucky.

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
While I see your point with Clarkson, Nazem Kadri is a better player than Brayden Schenn. Worked out for us.

Nothing wrong with Kadri or Schenn. They are roughly on the same trajectory this year and I'd rather have both of them vs. Clarkson.
We do have Kadri and I'm goid with that, now let's move Kessel:Phaneuf to get Kadri/Rielly help.

GalacticaActual

Mar 23, 2010
Mississauga, Ontario
Kessel reminds me of Jarri Kurri. Great players but Edmonton never expected Kurri to lead them. I don't think he could have led a team the way people expect Kessel to lead Leafs. Kessel is very good at what he does. Stop expecting him to be what he isn't

Laugh at Phil all you want. He's always in top 5 scoring in the league.

Right now Kessel is 13th in points and 13th in goals according to NHL.com.

http://www.nhl.com/ice/playerstats.htm?fetchKey=20152ALLSASAll&sort=points&viewName=summary

http://www.nhl.com/ice/playerstats.htm?fetchKey=20152ALLSASAll&sort=goals&viewName=summary

johnny_rudeboy

Mar 20, 2006
Karlstad

And he was 6th last season both in points and goals. And then the guys behind him played less games then Phil.

If one look at points per 60 minutes played Kessel this season is 22nd. He was 25th last year and 13th the year before that. And then he does not play any PK but yeah, he is still a very productive player but not as special as people try to make him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad