Twenty games until the trade deadline.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stats01

Jul 12, 2009
Toronto
unlikely that Winnik and Santa would fetch much, but getting rid of them would greatly increase our chances of being in the lottery range :)

Whatever their value is there is no excuse to keep them on this team while we sit out of a playoff spot. I repeat absolutely no excuse to not use these "assets" to get younger "assets" for the future. Santorelli is almost 30 already, he should be used as trade bait for a badly needed rebuild. I don't understand the people who rather keep these guys and re-sign them..all they're going to do is play good enough to keep us in the middle of the pack which is the worst possible thing, plus when they hit free agency they're going to ask for raises. Trade, trade, trade, trade them all!

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
IF we sold everything....

Franson - late 1st (or 2nd +) - We could retain 50% to help out any team.
Santorelli - a 2nd or a 3rd +
Winnik - 3rd
Lupul - 2nd (plus an expiring contract coming back)
Reimer - 2nd or a 3rd +

I can't think of anyone else i'd really sell at the deadline.

Teeder9

Free rent for Mo?
Oct 14, 2011
Ontario
Depends. If you think they will want term and 3m+ etc and you may not be able to sign them its a no brainer.

I imagine they would find outwhat kind of contracts they are looking for and base keeping them or trading them on that, or at least good teams would. I would like to keep both, but not if it's stupid money or term. Santa is worth 3m imo, and would likely get it or up to 4m in free agency

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
I believe the Leafs have 10 games left in January and 10 more in February. These are the last 20 games before the trade deadline. My question is: what changes do you want to see in this team during this stretch? For example in the first 5 games I simply want to see effort from every player on the team on every shift. This would be a start. I'd also like to see accountability during this stretch, i.e. ice time apportioned relative to effort and performance as to expectations of the coaching staff. Someone...some time has to start eradicating the dreaded Blue/White disease.Over the next 5 games I'd like to see some lines starting to click and an acceptance of, and adherence to, a new system (assuming there is one). Between games 11 and 15 I would think some moves would be attempted (not easy in a salary cap world I know) based on what was already known about certain players combined with this 10 game "trial" just completed. If nothing fits trade-wise during this 5 game stretch and then during the next 5 leading up to the trade deadline, then the changes will obviously happen at the draft and free agent deadline. I'm just curious what people are expecting,hoping to see, over this next 20 game stretch or, in fact, that 20 games is too small a window and you couldn't care less.

Very simple. Change this core. Get better players. Not more talented players. IE Kessel is more talented than Toews or Kopitar but he isn't a better player. Better all around players that play the right way.

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
Neither is standing pat. This core.

There will be changes.
Shanahan had said (somewhere) that this team needs to get better down the middle and on defense.
Who/what/how remains to be seen. But some change is coming in the summer and not just a trading Lupul move.

FlareKnight

Jun 26, 2006
Alberta
At this point no idea what will happen. I'd probably bet on nothing since it is the Leafs, but you never know.

Hard to guess all that well until we're right close to that deadline. If they slip more the decisions might be a bit easier.

Teeder9

Free rent for Mo?
Oct 14, 2011
Ontario
Then don't be surprised that as a team, nothing special happens.

I probably agree with him if the idea is the Leafs management will try and make subtle changes to players that don't matter much, ex.Panik, Lewis and pretend they made important ones, like they did last year. There's always the old line of "nothing developed that we thought made us better now and in the future" to fall back on. Lets be honest, there's more than a few out there that think this core is fantastic

King85Kong

Playoffs?
Nov 24, 2013
Toronto
Hopefully we don't lose players for nothing. If they're not in the plans for next season then ship them out and get something back.

HamiltonNHL

Parity era hockey is just puck luck + draft luck
Jan 4, 2012
I hope I make this clear with everyone NOBODY special will be traded
Agreed.
#1 history shows no one has the balls to blow up the core.
#2 no one really wants any of our core.
#3 no one really has the cap space to accept a core player
#4 the seats at the ACC are full anyway.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
Agreed.
#1 history shows no one has the balls to blow up the core.
#2 no one really wants any of our core.
#3 no one really has the cap space to accept a core player
#4 the seats at the ACC are full anyway.

It really is just kinda like that ain't it.

HamiltonNHL

Jan 4, 2012
There's always the old line of "nothing developed that we thought made us better now and in the future" to fall back on.
Lol. Exactly.
I'll translate that for you.
"We asked around the league and no one wants Kessel, Clarkson, Lupul, Gardiner, Phaneuf or Reimer".

HamiltonNHL

Jan 4, 2012
There's always the old line of "nothing developed that we thought made us better now and in the future" to fall back on.
In the cap era, big trades rarely go down. You win in the cap era by not signing dead weight to big contracts. So, in reality, we are doomed.

-DeMo-

Nov 12, 2006
Huntsville Ontario
Let's be honest. Playoff bound teams are the ones that would pay a 2nd and 3rd for santo and winnik respectively. Now ask yourself, would you rather have a late 2nd and 3rd or Santo and Winnik? For me the choice is the latter. They are really good fits on our team and I wouldnt cough them up for that return.

Lupul, Gardiner, Franson and bozak are the ones we should be looking to deal -- even though id prefer to keep franson.

yes I would rather have the picks then to either sign these guys long term or lose them for nothing. The 4 guys u mentioned won't be traded either, every time the leafs have been in this spot they've basically stood pat and not made any significant trades so I dnt see why that would change this year.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Leafs only have 5 picks at present in the upcoming draft.

Leafs 2nd rounder belongs to LA for Bernier and Leafs 7th rounder belongs to Columbus for Frattin.

Replenishing and acquiring more picks in this strong draft year would be advantageous and Leafs do have expiring rental contracts as bait.

The Podium

Feb 19, 2010
Toronto
Leafs only have 5 picks at present in the upcoming draft.

Leafs 2nd rounder belongs to LA for Bernier and Leafs 7th rounder belongs to Columbus for Frattin.

Replenishing and acquiring more picks in this strong draft year would be advantageous and Leafs do have expiring rental contracts as bait.

7th was conditional on D'amigo signing was it not?

TheOneArmedMan

Jan 17, 2011
If this management doesn't make any moves in the next while they need to make some moves in the offseason. Some players becoming UFA and are going to want a pay raise, except they are already spent to the cap. They won't be able to keep the current roster.

ryno23

Feb 5, 2010
People gotta stop saying late first or early 2nd when they talk about trading a player. That is 2 totally different set of teams when talking about late 1st early 2nd.

If you deal for a late 1st then you are talking about playoff teams mostly last 4-6 left so what contender would need player X and if you are talking about early 2nd that means a lottery team would be trading for player X and most lottery teams usually don't add to their teams.

So be specific in terms of teams or either it is a late 1st or late 2nd for contender or lottery pick or early 2nd. Can't be both.

Stats01

Jul 12, 2009
Toronto
lol they always go on about making the team better

trading everyone does not make the team better

This team will not get better without ripping this core apart. What has this team done, or better yet what has this core done that is so impressive??

to get better this franchise needs to take a step back first

613Leafer

May 26, 2008
So be specific in terms of teams or either it is a late 1st or late 2nd for contender or lottery pick or early 2nd. Can't be both.

Well it's unlikely to be both, but not impossible.

Buffalo for example has both the NYI and St. Louis blues 1st rounders this draft. So if we make a trade with Buffalo, we could get a late 1st + the Buffalo 2nd (early 2nd). Granted, any trade with Buffalo for picks isnt' something that would happen before the trade deadline, would have to be leading up to the draft.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad