Twenty games until the trade deadline.

Status
Not open for further replies.

leafstilldeath*

I bought this up in post game thread yesterday.

45 points in 41 games so far. Assuming 92 points for playoffs

we need to go just above 0.5 (thank you Durr for correcting me yesterday) to make it. 20 games till deadline.

What is the expectation from Shanahan and co. for the next 20 games? go 0.5 and we are ok, above good, and if below we become sellers?

Or is plan already in place to sell off?

ECanuck

Jan 7, 2010
Hamilton
I bought this up in post game thread yesterday.

45 points in 41 games so far. Assuming 92 points for playoffs

we need to go just above 0.5 (thank you Durr for correcting me yesterday) to make it. 20 games till deadline.

What is the expectation from Shanahan and co. for the next 20 games? go 0.5 and we are ok, above good, and if below we become sellers?

Or is plan already in place to sell off?

Ah doesn't seem too bad. Except, that is a whole lot more games to win than last year. We just needed to win like 6 games out of the 14 and we battled hard to a 2-12 or something like that.:laugh:

Pocket Hercules

Business in the front, party in the back.
Jun 19, 2008
York Region
:shakehead

I said no because in what world would Santa get you a 1st and Winnik gets you a 2nd...

Why isn't the bolded believable to you?

Contending teams will be looking for a seasoned defensive forward like Winnik to add into their bottom 6 come TDD. Add in the bidding wars amongst them, and it could inflate his value marginaly to something like a 2nd round pick (50 to 60 range) Do you really think cup contending teams will be that friggin stingy with 2nd round picks if they believe a player like him is enough to shore up their entire team and/or needs come playoff time?...

Same with Santa...although a 1st for him is a little too high of a price for him.

johnny_rudeboy

Mar 20, 2006
Karlstad
imo id almost be happy to keep lupul if we didn't get a 1st for him, he does compete and is a good leader for this team when healthy....

biggest problem is he is never healthy

Agree. If we are rebuilding having Lupul around is not the worst idea. He is passionate, works out and when healthy is a good player even do he is not great defensively. But played right he can be effective.

And who else is gonna take Nylander shopping next season?

leafstilldeath*

Ah doesn't seem too bad. Except, that is a whole lot more games to win than last year. We just needed to win like 6 games out of the 14 and we battled hard to a 2-12 or something like that.:laugh:

:laugh::laugh::laugh:

I blame the guy that started the thread about how its impossible for leafs to miss the playoffs ;)

Its even harder as majority of the remaining games are on the road. I have a feeling this western trip will help Shanahan and co. make the calls. I would still prefer to sell and get picks instead of finishing just outside or getting our butts kicked in the 1st round with nothing to show, mediocre pick and assets walking for free in the off-season.

If shanahan was playing chess, he would sacrifice now to win it all later. We will see I guess...

Peasy

May 25, 2012
Star Shoppin

Contending teams will be looking for a seasoned defensive forward like Winnik to add into their bottom 6 come TDD. Add in the bidding wars amongst them, and it could inflate his value marginaly to something like a 2nd round pick (50 to 60 range) Do you really think cup contending teams will be that friggin stingy with 2nd round picks if they believe a player like him is enough to shore up their entire team and/or needs come playoff time?...

Same with Santa...although a 1st for him is a little too high of a price for him.

If they were so worried about that why didn't they just try to sign him in the off season?

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
Hopefully we can either get a lot of wins down the stretch or just plain suck to the basement. It will make it a lot easier to sell off because we all know if they keep this position that we will not see many trades.

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
Agree. If we are rebuilding having Lupul around is not the worst idea. He is passionate, works out and when healthy is a good player even do he is not great defensively. But played right he can be effective.

And who else is gonna take Nylander shopping next season?

Lupul should stop the physical play.
He should take a hint from Kessel.
Look where he's at compared to Kessel, and Kessel is an ironman for a reason.

Player |GP|Hits |HPG
Leo Komarov|27|120|4.44
David Clarkson|41|94|2.29
David Booth|20|40|2.00
Joffrey Lupul |26|48|1.85
Trevor Smith|25|44|1.76
Daniel Winnik|39|58|1.49
Nazem Kadri|39|57|1.46
Peter Holland|38|53|1.39
Richard Panik|36|41|1.14
Tyler Bozak|41|43|1.05
Sam Carrick|6|6|1.00
Brandon Kozun|6|6|1.00
Greg McKegg|2|2|1.00
Mike Santorelli|41|39|0.95
James van Riemsdyk|41|37|0.90
Carter Ashton|7|6|0.86
Josh Leivo|8|5|0.63
Matt Frattin|6|3|0.50
Phil Kessel |41|10|0.24

WilliamNylander

Papi's home
Jul 26, 2012

This. It's turning into a seller's market too - looks like both conferences are going to have pretty tight playoff races.

As for why people don't do this in the off season...

1) Get a veteran at the trade deadline with an expiring deal
2) No cap repercussions (easier to fit in players at deadline than in september)
3) Little risk: you know how he's playing because he's played 50+ games already and his deal is over after the playoffs

and don't forget about injuries, teams who lose a winger can use Winnik or Santa to fill a roster spot

buttman*

Nonis won't trade anyone -- he's believes in this core. Stated as much when he fired Carlyle.

He needs to wake up. Trade Bozak, Gardiner and UFAs Winnik, Santorelli, Franson if they won't sign. Time to make some changes.

Kessel and Phaneuf can go as well if someone wants to pay.

Swervin81

Leaf fan | YYZ -> SEA
Nov 10, 2011
Seattle, WA
:shakehead

I said no because in what world would Santa get you a 1st and Winnik gets you a 2nd...

It's a seller's market, but the deep draft cancels it out a fair bit IMO.

Franson for 2nd + 4th
Santa for 3rd + 4th
Winnik for 4th

Those are our expirings other teams may want.

Trade core pieces during the offseason.

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
I believe the Leafs have 10 games left in January and 10 more in February. These are the last 20 games before the trade deadline. My question is: what changes do you want to see in this team during this stretch? For example in the first 5 games I simply want to see effort from every player on the team on every shift. This would be a start. I'd also like to see accountability during this stretch, i.e. ice time apportioned relative to effort and performance as to expectations of the coaching staff. Someone...some time has to start eradicating the dreaded Blue/White disease.Over the next 5 games I'd like to see some lines starting to click and an acceptance of, and adherence to, a new system (assuming there is one). Between games 11 and 15 I would think some moves would be attempted (not easy in a salary cap world I know) based on what was already known about certain players combined with this 10 game "trial" just completed. If nothing fits trade-wise during this 5 game stretch and then during the next 5 leading up to the trade deadline, then the changes will obviously happen at the draft and free agent deadline. I'm just curious what people are expecting,hoping to see, over this next 20 game stretch or, in fact, that 20 games is too small a window and you couldn't care less.

Actually, as the Leafs are out of the playoffs today, it isn't just what the Leafs do, but what the competition does.

Panthers tied with Leafs with 3 games in hand?
Boston was playing below their capabilities.

Leafs could play decently between now and TDD, and still find themselves sellors.

I Believe

Mar 5, 2011
Toronto
One saving grace on this team is we have some very valuable pieces we can sell off.

Whether we do the smart thing this time and acquire some picks or lose players for nothing remains to be seen.

I have faith we'll acquire some picks this year. Nonis is as good as gone.

Wilbur*

Hardly any of our players have any real value because of the contracts (term and AAV). I expect Kessel to be traded in the offseason (draft time).

Jun 27, 2005
There is the possibility that the Leafs will be on the bubble come the deadline.

It's possible that they will trade away their first round pick for a solid UFA in an effort to make the playoffs ..
and then miss the playoffs ..
and then that player signs with someone else in the off season ..
and then they win the lottery with a 2% chance ...

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014
Definitely time to think about the mix of the team. I just want wins. All this other stuff is secondary for me. Hopefully they regroup quick here and get playing some good hockey.

Sep 18, 2009
Definitely time to think about the mix of the team. I just want wins. All this other stuff is secondary for me. Hopefully they regroup quick here and get playing some good hockey.

Wins? lol wins are useless

Cups are what it is all about

Will we see one in our lifetime?

slozo

Aug 28, 2011
Newmarket, ON
I expect the Leafs to be on the bubble come trade deadline.

What I HOPE happens:
- Trade Kessel about a week, two weeks before the trade deadline. We'd have to take a bit of salary back, but we would get a good quality player + a pick, or maybe a solid young player + a first round pick.
- trade Lupul as a deadline day deal - going to a contending team
- trade Reimer before deadline for a decet back-up and a pick, to a team where he'll be starting lots more
- IN THE OFFSEASON, trade Bozak and Gardiner. Look at dealing Phaneuf, but not the highest priority . . . more important is getting a top d-man in the summer, through trade or signing.

What will PROBABLY happen:
- Lupul, Bozak traded before deadline
- small chance that Gardiner goes if someone is willing to overpay

Any change is good at this point, if it involves moving core players.

mcleex

Fire Parros
Jul 3, 2009
Assuming we aren't in a playoff spot, and are just coasting around a wild card spot or 9th-10th place

I would trade Reimer, Phaneuf, Lupul for sure and maybe Gardiner depending on the return

Stats01

Jul 12, 2009
Toronto
Assuming we aren't in a playoff spot, and are just coasting around a wild card spot or 9th-10th place

I would trade Reimer, Phaneuf, Lupul for sure and maybe Gardiner depending on the return

just those guys? I'd trade Kessel, Reimer, Lupul, Franson, Winnik, Santorelli, Gardiner, Phaneuf. Or at least try to, no more re-tools, if this core can't do it now they'll never do it. They've had plenty of time. BLOW IT UP! all of it, not just a few here and few there, all of them. Tear it down.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad