Twenty games until the trade deadline.

Status
Not open for further replies.

mashedpotato

full stack.
Jan 10, 2012
Here's what's going to happen :

We'll win 7/10 and justify keeping this team together.

On the 11th game we start a 7 game slide. Again.

It's been a repeatable pattern for some time now.

So, there's no reason to believe otherwise.

Congratulations - we're not good at being bad or being good. We're the Goldielocks of the NHL.

iBELEAF

May 30, 2011
Vancouver
Lupul for 2nd + prospect + roster player(cap)
Franson for conditional 2nd (becomes 1 if team makes past second round of playoff) + 3rd + prospect

Keep and sign both Santo and Winnik in the off season

Last edited:

I Believe

Mar 5, 2011
Toronto
We're set up nicely to sell. We have quite a few pieces we can dangle.

The one obvious name to me is Cody Franson, seems pretty clear to me we won't be able to afford him next year.

I don't think getting a 1st or 2nd+prospect for him is out of he question.

Santo is another intriguing option depending on the return. Just about any contending team could use him for $1 million. I wouldn't be opposed to selling high.

613Leafer

May 26, 2008
SJ sold off an aging Douglas Murray for two 2nds and a struggling Clowe for a 2nd + 3rd + conditional 2nd two years ago.

We've seen guys like Gaustad go for a 1st rounder, Erat go for a top prospect (Forsberg), MacDonald go for a 2nd + 3rd + prospect, etc.

Franson should at minimum get a 2nd + 3rd IMO, potentially two 2nds or potentially a 1st. The Leafs are pressed up to the cap this offseason, better to get some value now rather then lose even more guys for nothing.

Spend the rest of the year evaluating guys under contract. If we sell off Franson/Winnik, I doubt that would ultimately have much of an effect on this season anyways. We could still just as easily make the playoffs after having traded them, or miss the playoffs having kept them.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
Unless they go on a pretty serious run the next month, they will be Sellers.

I Believe

Mar 5, 2011
Toronto

That's what worries me to be honest. Not selling anything and then letting people walk, just like the last couple of seasons.

Last edited:

paulhiggins

Feb 4, 2006
The one obvious name to me is Cody Franson, seems pretty clear to me we won't be able to afford him next year.

Not Cody's fault but that's a good reason to get rid of the guy who spent his future salary unwisely.

BudMaster17

Gap Inspector
Feb 12, 2008
Toronto
Sure, let's piss off Kessel! :help:

You don't manage a team around making Kessel happy. Id trade Bozak, Franson, Winnik, and Santo for the simple reason that their value could be at a all time high now. You can resign Winnik and Santo in the offseason. I'd also move out Robidas and Booth as there will probably be a market for them at the dead line. Come the off season.... Trade Kessel, Phaneuf an possibly Lupul. Run with the core of Rielly, Gards, Kadri, JVR, Bernier and Nylander + who ever else you add between now and next year. Continually making evaluations of these players and add or subtract as you see fit

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
Would love it to sell high on Bozak. I'm expecting the team to be generally quite though as the deadline approaches. Franson seems to be the most likely candidate moved.

WilliamNylander

Papi's home
Jul 26, 2012
Sure, let's piss off Kessel! :help:

You think Kessel really cares? Does anyone really care?

Would he rather win or carry around a 3rd line center with horrendously low possession numbers because he likes playing video games with him?

silentbob37*

As much as I want to see it happen, I doubt guys like Kessel, Phaneuf, Lupul get moved at the deadline, their big ticket, long term contrats will make that very difficult to do.

If they decide to tear it down, we'll see Bozak, Franson, maybe JVR and the goalies moved at the deadline, and the big ticket guys will go later in June or July when teams have the moeny to spend on guys like that.

-DeMo-

Nov 12, 2006
Huntsville Ontario

I doubt it, I mean they've rarely ever sold before why are they this time just because there 2-3 points out of the playoffs? you heard Nonis at the beginning of the season the goal is to make the playoffs 2-3 points can easily be made up, they wont sell anyone, but I also they buy either, the only thing that might happen is a minor depth pickup, or a one for one trade type.

now what they should do is either re-sign or deal Franson/Santa/Winnik. preferably I'd sell all 3. a team might overpay for Franson and give us a 1st + prospect, might get a 2nd for Santa and 3rd for Winnik. but I expect us to keep all 3 unsigned through the dedline

Celly Hard

Nov 5, 2013
Ontario
I doubt it, I mean they've rarely ever sold before why are they this time just because there 2-3 points out of the playoffs? you heard Nonis at the beginning of the season the goal is to make the playoffs 2-3 points can easily be made up, they wont sell anyone, but I also they buy either, the only thing that might happen is a minor depth pickup, or a one for one trade type.

now what they should do is either re-sign or deal Franson/Santa/Winnik. preferably I'd sell all 3. a team might overpay for Franson and give us a 1st + prospect, might get a 2nd for Santa and 3rd for Winnik. but I expect us to keep all 3 unsigned through the dedline

Let's be honest. Playoff bound teams are the ones that would pay a 2nd and 3rd for santo and winnik respectively. Now ask yourself, would you rather have a late 2nd and 3rd or Santo and Winnik? For me the choice is the latter. They are really good fits on our team and I wouldnt cough them up for that return.

Lupul, Gardiner, Franson and bozak are the ones we should be looking to deal -- even though id prefer to keep franson.

Swayze*

Let's be honest. Playoff bound teams are the ones that would pay a 2nd and 3rd for santo and winnik respectively. Now ask yourself, would you rather have a late 2nd and 3rd or Santo and Winnik? For me the choice is the latter. They are really good fits on our team and I wouldnt cough them up for that return.

Lupul, Gardiner, Franson and bozak are the ones we should be looking to deal -- even though id prefer to keep franson.

Depends. If you think they will want term and 3m+ etc and you may not be able to sign them its a no brainer.

Smif

Jan 23, 2008
Hamilton
I keep santa and winnick all day errday

Same, they should be a part of the solution here. Hopefully both stay with fair contracts. We always keep the big name, overrated players and ship out the small/no name, underrated players.

FriedEgg

Sep 26, 2009

Ideally you cash in on santorelli and winnik when their value is high. Hope that one of those 2nds can be turned into an impact player (top 6 forward top 4 dmen).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad