OT: TV & Movie Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Deleted member 23124

He was on the tv show, "The League". He's acted in a bunch of movies, but he's also a writer and director. He wrote/directed a great little indie called "Safety Not Guaranteed". He did a movie called "Cyrus". His tv show on HBO "Togetherness" was really good. I think he has a deal with HBO and also Netflix. After Togetherness, he started Room 104 with his brother Jay with whom he collaborates with a lot . On Netflix, he has movies called "Paddleton", "Blue Jay", and "Creep" (plus the sequel). Most of his movies/shows are really good.
I looked him up...the only thing I recognized was Lazarus Effect (which I can't remember if I saw). Thanks much for the info.

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
Just saw this as well, and I am all in.

Ghostbusters meets Stranger Things...? INJECT IT INTO MY VEINS.

I love Ghostbusters, and I love Stranger Things. But I'm not sure I love Ghostbusters being Stranger Things.

I feel like I prefer Ghostbusters being Ghostbusters and Stranger Things being Stranger Things.

Reactions: ponzu4u

Brooklyn Rangers Fan

Change is good.
Aug 23, 2005
Brooklyn & Upstate
I love Ghostbusters, and I love Stranger Things. But I'm not sure I love Ghostbusters being Stranger Things.

I feel like I prefer Ghostbusters being Ghostbusters and Stranger Things being Stranger Things.
source.gif

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise

Eh, not necessarily for me. I'm not crazy about change for the sake of change, or change that alters what I originally liked about something. But I'm not against it either. It's necessary.

There have been many different incarnations of Batman, or different super hero genres. Likewise, I've both liked and disliked what's come out in the Star Wars universe the past decade.

I have somewhat mixed feelings. I feel curious about what they're doing, but I don't know if I feel sold on it yet.

I freely admit that I've never been a huge fan of "kid heroes", especially when it comes to sequels or reboots. Even as a kid, I found myself wanting to pretend to be an adult character, not a fellow kid.

With regards to Ghostubsters, I've also not been a huge fan of the going out of business concept. We did it already in GB 2, then we did it in Extreme GB, and now we're going that route a third time. I tend to prefer to think of things like the video game --- aka thousands of people die every day, and now that the door has been opened, things are going to get a little kooky from time to time. Apparently, that part of canon may also be out the window based on the trailer. But I don't inherently dislike what I'm seeing, I'm just not sure what it is that I'm seeing and whether it "feels" like Ghostbusters.

Last edited:

Irishguy42

Mr. Preachy
Sep 11, 2015
NJ
I mean...Stranger Things is what Serious Ghostbusters is. And I think a Serious Ghostbusters is a great direction to take. It just so happens that we had Stranger Things happen first.

It just doesn't help that they have the worst Stranger Things main kids be one of the leads here.

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
I mean...Stranger Things is what Serious Ghostbusters is. And I think a Serious Ghostbusters is a great direction to take. It just so happens that we had Stranger Things happen first.

It just doesn't help that they have the worst Stranger Things main kids be one of the leads here.

But I think that's why I kind of feel like we've been there and done that --- at least based on the preview.

I think the trailer makes for an intriguing Stranger Things movie. But if you took out Ecto 1, there's not much there that feels like Ghostbusters. In other words, you could take the same concept, slap a different name on it, and no one would be the wiser for it.

The challenge with Ghostbusters is that the concept was captured really well in the first movie and the first two seasons of the animated series.

You had comedy, you had NYC essentially serving as a character, and you had what, at its heart, was essentially a character-driven story. As we've drifted from that, with special effects, and location changes, and everything else, I'm not sure we've really evolved that concept.

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010
...I think the trailer makes for an intriguing Stranger Things movie. But if you took out Ecto 1, there's not much there that feels like Ghostbusters. ..

This, especially bolded. It might be a really good Stranger Things-like movie but it feels like someone is trying to dope me with a fake title / bait reference to Ghostbusters.

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010
I tried watching His Dark Materials and had to stop. I love the fantasy genre but young adult fantasy sub-genre makes me hate it - there are no sub-tones, grey areas, need to figure out something or view things from a different perspective. Like every plot is chewed up and regurgitated into blah for your consumption.

Kupo

MAFIA, MOUNT UP!
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2017
Stamford CT
Started watching The Irishman last night. I was a little drunk though - fell asleep early on and don't really remember much. But, I'll take another stab at it tonight.

Wasn't a fan of the CGI. They tried making Pesce and De Niro look young, which was kind of poorly done imo.

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
This, especially bolded. It might be a really good Stranger Things-like movie but it feels like someone is trying to dope me with a fake title / bait reference to Ghostbusters.

My concern with Ghostbusters is that they essentially try to make it Stranger Things, because that's what is selling right now.

Don't get me wrong, I like Stranger Things. I like it a lot. But then I'd want to go see an actual Stranger Things movie. So in that sense, I have some worries that this is going to be a very typical Hollywood approach of taking what works, even if its already been done, and then slapping a nostalgic label on things to draw in a bigger audience.

I could be very off about that, but even if I get past the editing, even the tones, colors, etc. feel like Stranger Things.

Reactions: kovazub94

mrmovies779

The Greatest Teacher,Failure is.
Feb 5, 2013
That Ghostbusters trailer just didnt have that Ghostbusters feel to it.I will still watch it,but it felt lacking to me

Brooklyn Rangers Fan

Change is good.
Aug 23, 2005
Brooklyn & Upstate
Eh, not necessarily for me. I'm not crazy about change for the sake of change, or change that alters what I originally liked about something. But I'm not against it either. It's necessary.

There have been many different incarnations of Batman, or different super hero genres. Likewise, I've both liked and disliked what's come out in the Star Wars universe the past decade.

I have somewhat mixed feelings. I feel curious about what they're doing, but I don't know if I feel sold on it yet.

I freely admit that I've never been a huge fan of "kid heroes", especially when it comes to sequels or reboots. Even as a kid, I found myself wanting to pretend to be an adult character, not a fellow kid.

With regards to Ghostubsters, I've also not been a huge fan of the going out of business concept. We did it already in GB 2, then we did it in Extreme GB, and now we're going that route a third time. I tend to prefer to think of things like the video game --- aka thousands of people die every day, and now that the door has been opened, things are going to get a little kooky from time to time. Apparently, that part of canon may also be out the window based on the trailer. But I don't inherently dislike what I'm seeing, I'm just not sure what it is that I'm seeing and whether it "feels" like Ghostbusters.
I was mostly kidding. :)

aufheben

#Norris4Fox
Jan 31, 2013
New Jersey
Anyone getting down with the final season of Mr. Robot? This is one of the most well-made tv shows I’ve ever seen; Just exceptional.

Don Chytil

Jan 14, 2010
Queens
Anyone getting down with the final season of Mr. Robot? This is one of the most well-made tv shows I’ve ever seen; Just exceptional.

I'm a big fan, and the last season has been great so far. Between Mr. Robot and Watchmen I've been really looking forward to Sunday night each week. Will be sad to see them go.

Deleted member 23124

I'm a big fan, and the last season has been great so far. Between Mr. Robot and Watchmen I've been really looking forward to Sunday night each week. Will be sad to see them go.
I tried watching Mr. Robot ... think I got about halfway through season 1 (and I'll watching anything with Christian Slater)....but it just didn't grab me. Might give it another try.

Just finished Season 1 of Mindhunters -- NEVER saw that season finale coming. Diving into Season 2.

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010
I tried watching Mr. Robot ... think I got about halfway through season 1 (and I'll watching anything with Christian Slater)....but it just didn't grab me. Might give it another try.

Just finished Season 1 of Mindhunters -- NEVER saw that season finale coming. Diving into Season 2.

Keep pushing it. The end of the first season is good and then this show just takes off. The show should probably get more exposure after this year's summer movie hit "The Queen" but I still would consider this series among TV less-known hidden treasures.

Deleted member 23124

Keep pushing it. The end of the first season is good and then this show just takes off. The show should probably get more exposure after this year's summer movie hit "The Queen" but I still would consider this series among TV less-known hidden treasures.
Never heard of that movie -- tried looking it up and couldn't find it

ponzu4u

Feb 27, 2013
Count me in as not particularly impressed with that trailer. Hopefully they were really trying to hide most of the good stuff.

I am a little confused why, if you're going for a continuation of the original two movies, you would make this movie's story centered around children. As I thought Jason Reitman's whole press tour before this movie centered around bringing Ghostbusters back to the original fan base, which I'd assume is mostly in their forties by now? I had even thought they mentioned the possibility of a PG-13 or even R rating?

I guess maybe the idea is that this movie will draw an audience of original ghostbuster fans bringing their kids and then hopefully rebooting the franchise?

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010
I’m catching The Expanse latest season on Prime next on my list. I’m sure there are plenty fans of good sci-fi series. Give The Expanse a try, won’t regret it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad