OT: TV & Movie Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
The last 40 minutes - hour are the best part of the movie. I think from the scene of the party where Hoffa presents Sheeran the award on through the end is just fantastic. Does a great job making you feel how empty Sheeran is and how a life of crime resulted in loneliness and emptiness. Good meditation on aging.
I just felt like he could not possibly die quickly enough at that point. Misery.
Pesci was definitely the best part of the movie. His discussion with Pacino at the scene above, telling De Niro "it's what it is" and you know what he means. "We did everything we could for the man." Then the discussion while he's making the salad and then over breakfast the next morning.
That may have been some of his best acting. And he was absolutely age appropriate.

Glen Sathers Cigar

Sather 4 Ever
Feb 4, 2013
New York
I just felt like he could not possibly die quickly enough at that point. Misery.

That may have been some of his best acting. And he was absolutely age appropriate.
To the bolded, yeah I think that was the point to really drive the misery and loneliness home. I can totally see it being divisive though, for sure.

Agreed on Pesci, he was fantastic. I think Pitt is going to win the best supporting oscar for Once Upon a Time in Hollywood. I liked Pitt in that and I really loved that movie for sure and before seeing the Irishman I would've picked Pitt, but I think Pesci gave the best performance of the year. It's a shame he retired and hasn't been in much because he's a fantastic actor.

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Agreed on Pesci, he was fantastic. I think Pitt is going to win the best supporting oscar for Once Upon a Time in Hollywood. I liked Pitt in that and I really loved that movie for sure and before seeing the Irishman I would've picked Pitt, but I think Pesci gave the best performance of the year. It's a shame he retired and hasn't been in much because he's a fantastic actor.
He should absolutely win for Best Supporting actor.

And yeah, do many great roles. My Cousin Vinny remains my favorite.

Kupo

MAFIA, MOUNT UP!
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2017
Stamford CT
Watched 3 episodes and while I don’t see Heroes connection the The Boys is a good show. Got to remind myself that good guys / bad guys exaggerations should be expected per genre

I thought The Boys would be more about mutants than super heroes when I watched episode one. Totally different shows which I realized the more I watched TB.

Deleted member 23124

Can’t say I have.
It's a grown-up version of Teen Titans. I was hooked after ep 1 when someone asked Robin where Batman was and his response (after beating the group to a pulp) was to look around at his handiwork and reply "F**K Batman."

Reactions: Honour Over Glory

romba

Aug 2, 2005
New Jersey
It's a grown-up version of Teen Titans. I was hooked after ep 1 when someone asked Robin where Batman was and his response (after beating the group to a pulp) was to look around at his handiwork and reply "F**K Batman."
I liked the Young Justice cartoon series (aimed for young adults/teens) back in the day until they canceled it to go back to the more kid friendly Teen Titans. It was more mature and actually pretty dark for a cartoon, with plenty of solid comedic moments to fill the gaps between alien invasions, evil-darkness and violence.

I'm wary of shows that dance around having batman. He's not allowed to be shown on TV (I think) so they'll Bruce Wayne it up for ratings and find ways/excuses why batman isn't around or shown. Hopefully Titans doesn't do this and doesn't dwell too long on it, might give it a go.

Last edited:

Deleted member 23124

I liked the Young Justice cartoon series (aimed for young adults/teens) back in the day until they canceled it to go back to the more kid friendly Teen Titans. It was more mature and actually pretty dark for a cartoon, with plenty of solid comedic moments to fill the gaps between alien invasions, evil-darkness and violence.
I never saw any of the cartoon series...

romba

Aug 2, 2005
New Jersey
I never saw any of the cartoon series...
Worth it to give it a go, far and away the best animated superhero series imo. It was critically acclaimed and for good reason.

Young Justice (TV Series 2010– ) - IMDb

....especially now that I found out they un-canceled it this past year lol. After much fan support and petitions (when does that shit ever work?!?) WB conceded and they're put out a Young Justice 3rd season (on Netflix) like 6 years later. Sweet! 4th season will be out this year as well.

Deleted member 23124

Worth it to give it a go, far and away the best animated superhero series imo. It was critically acclaimed and for good reason.

Young Justice (TV Series 2010– ) - IMDb

....especially now that I found out they un-canceled it this past year lol. After much fan support and petitions (when does that **** ever work?!?) WB conceded and they're put out a Young Justice 3rd season (on Netflix) like 6 years later. Sweet! 4th season will be out this year as well.
I'll be honest -- I've never been a fan of animated media.....and I'm even less of a fan of the WB -- they've ruined every superhero show they've done.

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010
I'm finishing the last episode of The Boys. It grew on me a bit toward the end. Definitely won't make any top lists but ok to watch if your query is empty.

Reactions: Maximus

romba

Aug 2, 2005
New Jersey
I'll be honest -- I've never been a fan of animated media.....and I'm even less of a fan of the WB -- they've ruined every superhero show they've done.
I sniffed that part out already ;)
I hear that about the WB ruining super heros, they teenybopped all their super hero stuff on the WB channel

Reactions: zephyr

Deleted member 23124

I sniffed that part out already ;)
I hear that about the WB ruining super heros, they teenybopped all their super hero stuff on the WB channel
Despite that fact, I am obsessed with Archer.

Lion Hound

@JoeTucc26
Mar 12, 2007
Montauk NY
Highly recommend the Outsider on HBO. Its up t episode 4 and is available on Demand. Based off a Steven King novel. Detective tracking down a killer of a young kid. The show reminds me alot of the first season of True Detective.

Reactions: Maximus

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010
Highly recommend the Outsider on HBO. Its up t episode 4 and is available on Demand. Based off a Steven King novel. Detective tracking down a killer of a young kid. The show reminds me alot of the first season of True Detective.

Same, though I'm only through 2 episodes so far. Love the two main actors. Jason Bateman is excellent again and I guess his involvement in this show kind of explains why the 3rd season of Ozark has been delayed. The other one is Ben Mendelsohn who I remembered from Netflix's The Bloodline (HIGHLY recommended if you missed it).

Maximus

Dec 23, 2003
Doylestown, PA
Fellas totally agree about the Outsiders...I'm fully invested...hook line and sinker with this show.

Very very creepy show, very well acted and keeps you wanting to come back for more. I binged the first 3 episodes and was caught up for last night's 4th episode. Can't wait to see what happens next!!

Maximus

Dec 23, 2003
Doylestown, PA
I mentioned a few months ago that I've really gotten into some British series such as Humans, Peaky Blinders, Broadchurch...etc etc. Well I've got another one and I absolutely loved it....The Crown!!!.

I just finished Season 3 after having binged seasons 1 and 2 a month or so ago. I have to say it's one of the best series I've seen in awhile. The acting is phenomenal...the scenery and cinematography is spectacular as you really get a feel of what's it's like living in Buckingham Palace and being in Britain back in the day.

Some of the episodes are just so good, they are really hard to put into words. I highly recommend it gentleman if you haven't seen it yet as it's easily one of the best shows of the past decade.

Reactions: kovazub94

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
I mentioned a few months ago that I've really gotten into some British series such as Humans, Peaky Blinders, Broadchurch...etc etc. Well I've got another one and I absolutely loved it....The Crown!!!.
Peaky Blinders is on my list of things I need to watch. Am currently 1 episode from finishing Spy and just started Britania.

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010
Peaky Blinders is on my list of things I need to watch. Am currently 1 episode from finishing Spy and just started Britania.

I started Peaky Blinders and down to the last episode in season 1. It was pretty good but with all rave reviews I'm looking for more from next seasons.

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010

I just finished Season 3 after having binged seasons 1 and 2 a month or so ago. I have to say it's one of the best series I've seen in awhile. The acting is phenomenal...the scenery and cinematography is spectacular as you really get a feel of what's it's like living in Buckingham Palace and being in Britain back in the day.

Some of the episodes are just so good, they are really hard to put into words. I highly recommend it gentleman if you haven't seen it yet as it's easily one of the best shows of the past decade.

Loved The Crown.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad