OT: TV & Movie Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
I was reading up a bit on it last night. In the US, the studio was not happy with the final product for obvious American-dumbed-down reasons, and also scenes like the spoiler rape. So, Leone was like “Oh yeah? Well check this **** out,” and brought the film over to Europe and Cannes, where it was lauded. Nonetheless, back in the US, the studio execs were still not happy, and forced them (IIRC, the cuts might completely uninvolved Leone,) not only cut the US-version’s runtime in half, but also replace the flashback structure with a linear narrative (which, as you can imagine, would make absolutely no sense for the viewer.)

Despite the cuts, (because of them, actually,) the film was a box-Office disaster, nearly bankrupting the production company, and obviously devastating Leone who had been working on this for a long time (he declined to direct the The Godfather.) The poor guy’s health literally went to **** (ok it wasn’t great to begin with but still,) and he died five years later in 1989, without ever having made another film.

I think the European, a.k.a. actual, version was released on VHS a couple years later in the States, and Martin Scorsese helped restore a near-full version in 2012. So, yeah, while oxymoronic, a failed classic is pretty spot on. I would think there are still a great deal of people who have never seen it, which is understandable considering it’s legacy (or lack thereof,) runtime, and possible even the fact that it’s a 70s gangster-period that came out in the mid-80s, which is kind of odd [The Untouchables (1987) is another one]. I mean the movie is epic, to the point that it makes The Lord of the Rings seem brisk; not to say that it is boring or drawn out, it just a lot to take in, containing so much dramatic content, spanning so many years, with fully-realized historical and period accuracy. Not something I could watch like once a year, but given the time, it is a nearly-objective masterpiece (similar maybe to something like War and Peace).

Tl;dr: the whole thing was a cinematic tragedy.
That is en excellent summary. Not sure I could watch it every year, but I would once every couple.

And, yes, watching Once Upon a Time in a linear fashion would make absolutely no sense. Once you grasp what is going on, the flashback is the only way to truly watch it.

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010
I’m sending you my bill for CBS All Access.

I read that Amazon Prime will carry it too globally because CBS All Access is not available abroad but I am not sure if on AP platform it will be available for viewing in the States.

mrmovies779

The Greatest Teacher,Failure is.
Feb 5, 2013
I was hooked when I saw one of the Treadaway twins was going to be in it....but now that I see 7 of 9 will also be in it, I'm totally sold.
When i saw 7 of 9 and Data i said-yup..they got me.My actual words when i saw 7 of 9 was...damn,this woman ages well.Shes still smokin hot.My wife didnt like that too much.She snuck in and i didnt see or hear her :laugh:

Deleted member 23124

When i saw 7 of 9 and Data i said-yup..they got me.My actual words when i saw 7 of 9 was...damn,this woman ages well.Shes still smokin hot.My wife didnt like that too much.She snuck in and i didnt see or hear her :laugh:
I've seen almost everything Jeri Ryan has been in. She's actually a very good actress. Loved her in Body of Proof and Shark.

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010
I've seen almost everything Jeri Ryan has been in. She's actually a very good actress. Loved her in Body of Proof and Shark.

I've often mistaken her with Marg Helgenberger of CSI (maybe partially due to the confusion re. last name "Ryan").

story_half_width.jpg

Maximus

Dec 23, 2003
Doylestown, PA
Yup, that's how I rank the seasons also. What I liked about the finale, there were several heroes that saved the day or helped in a big way to save the day. Not sure if Spoilers apply anymore, but..

I don't think Hopper is dead.

Yup good point as that was some major teamwork going on in all facets of the "operation". And actually I think it was the savvy move on your part to keep your spoiler hidden seeing there easily can be a couple of peeps in here like I was not even a month ago, who hasn't seen Stranger Things but the intrigue got the best of me. That easily can be what's going on with someone else.

And as far as your spoiler...I thought a similar thing and it makes total sense for the narrative of Season 4 whenever that comes to be....brilliant minds think alike...hah

Reactions: Leonardo87

Brooklyn Rangers Fan

Change is good.
Aug 23, 2005
Brooklyn & Upstate
Yup, that's how I rank the seasons also. What I liked about the finale, there were several heroes that saved the day or helped in a big way to save the day. Not sure if Spoilers apply anymore, but..

I don't think Hopper is dead.

Yup good point as that was some major teamwork going on in all facets of the "operation". And actually I think it was the savvy move on your part to keep your spoiler hidden seeing there easily can be a couple of peeps in here like I was not even a month ago, who hasn't seen Stranger Things but the intrigue got the best of me. That easily can be what's going on with someone else.

And as far as your spoiler...I thought a similar thing and it makes total sense for the narrative of Season 4 whenever that comes to be....brilliant minds think alike...hah
Well either that or...

...the American is the Doctor from season 1.

Would love for it to be Bob, but he looked like he was getting pretty badly, well, eaten in his final scene.

Leonardo87

New York Rangers, Anaheim Ducks, and TMNT fan.
Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Well either that or...

Would love for it to be Bob, but he looked like he was getting pretty badly, well, eaten in his final scene.

Gonna meet Bob at NYCC, lol. I just bought my photo ops and pre-autograph tickets.

But Sean Astin has done so much stuff including voicing Raphael for like 6 years on TMNT.....

D1710483-45F3-41EB-B093-A72C2D09C225.gif

Really disappointed they killed him off on Stranger Things

Maximus

Dec 23, 2003
Doylestown, PA
Well either that or...

Hmmm...interesting theory of yours. That's definitely plausible tho the one @Leonardo87 brought up would be more of a possibility. But yours is not crazy at all.

aufheben

#Norris4Fox
Jan 31, 2013
New Jersey
Watched Palo Alto (2013) last night. Probably not everyone’s cup of tea, but I enjoyed it. Absolutely edible color palette, and some fine performances by younger actors. Vibe of a teenage American Beauty, and attention to aesthetic detail obviously influenced by 2011’s Drive.

13-credit-Gia-Coppola.jpg

Next up on the watchlist shuffle is Breathe (Respire [2014]) directed by Melanie Laurent (the gorgeous French woman in Inglourious Basterds).

Last edited:

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010
Watched Palo Alto (2013) last night. Probably not everyone’s cup of tea, but I enjoyed it. Absolutely edible color palette, and some fine performances by younger actors. Vibe of a teenage American Beauty, and attention to aesthetic detail obviously influenced by 2011’s Drive.

Emma Roberts is a fine actress in her own right. Really like her in American Horror Show.

redwhiteandblue

Apr 1, 2013
First off, I’d like to kick everyone’s ass who told me Ozark wasn’t worth the time because it was just like Breaking Bad. I mean... it’s not even close. One is a story about a guy who hid the cartels money and the other is a story about a guy who finally let his dark side out and became a drug kingpin.

Ozark Season 1 and 2 was phenomenal. Can’t wait for season 3. Wendy Byrde is a bad bitch. Jason Bateman, per his usual standard, is fantastic. Great character development. It’s gonna be tough to keep itself on par with the quality it’s been compared to BB, the first two have been excellent, even though I give the edge to BB.

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010
First off, I’d like to kick everyone’s ass who told me Ozark wasn’t worth the time because it was just like Breaking Bad. I mean... it’s not even close. One is a story about a guy who hid the cartels money and the other is a story about a guy who finally let his dark side out and became a drug kingpin.

Ozark Season 1 and 2 was phenomenal. Can’t wait for season 3. Wendy Byrde is a bad *****. Jason Bateman, per his usual standard, is fantastic. Great character development. It’s gonna be tough to keep itself on par with the quality it’s been compared to BB, the first two have been excellent, even though I give the edge to BB.

When people mention BB in the context of Ozark it’s meant as a big complement.

redwhiteandblue

Apr 1, 2013
When people mention BB in the context of Ozark it’s meant as a big complement.
Personally I only heard it in the context of “it’s pretty much the same thing as Breaking Bad” and was warned not to waste my time. I’d say it’s on pace but just behind BB as far as two seasons in.

Another show I’m huge on right now is Snowfall on FX. I think it’s probably the most underrated/least talked about show. So many great characters, a lot of good storylines going on away from each other but ready to intercept at any moment. If you haven’t seen it I’d recommend it. I also am personally very fond and interested in history. So seeing the story lines of the crack epidemic in LA and the FBI funneling money and guns south and running drugs and how they all relate is really cool.

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010
Personally I only heard it in the context of “it’s pretty much the same thing as Breaking Bad” and was warned not to waste my time. I’d say it’s on pace but just behind BB as far as two seasons in.

Another show I’m huge on right now is Snowfall on FX. I think it’s probably the most underrated/least talked about show. So many great characters, a lot of good storylines going on away from each other but ready to intercept at any moment. If you haven’t seen it I’d recommend it. I also am personally very fond and interested in history. So seeing the story lines of the crack epidemic in LA and the FBI funneling money and guns south and running drugs and how they all relate is really cool.

Agree that Snowfall is probably the most underrated. For whatever unknown reason because on its own merit - it’s right there with the very best shows as of now

Last edited:

redwhiteandblue

Apr 1, 2013
Agree that Snowfall is probably the most underrated. For whatever unknown reason because on its own merit - it’s right there with the very best shows as of now
Yeah it seems like a show that has plenty of ratings to stay on air but not nearly the fan base it should.

Deleted member 23124

As far as City on the Hill, this past episode might have been the best of all of 8 of them and I'm very much looking forward to the finale now next week. Not sure if this series will be be renewed and tho it's not even close to being in my Top 20 or 30 series of all-time or even in the past 20 years, if another season came around, season 1 has done just enough for me to give it a another look.

I gave up on City about halfway through the 5th episode.

Deleted member 23124

I've often mistaken her with Marg Helgenberger of CSI (maybe partially due to the confusion re. last name "Ryan").

story_half_width.jpg
Ryan's features a much sharper than Marge's -- especially cheekbones and forehead....fuller lips as well. I can see the resemblance though.
arrow-jeri-ryan.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad