OT: TV & Movie Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Deleted member 23124

Dude...Peaky Blinders is very close to being in my personal top 5 of shows created over past 20-25 years its that good. My top 5 once again not necessarily in this order and I’ve probably listed this a few times before are The Wire, Breaking Bad, Sopranos, Justified and Oz.

But right there is Peaky. The whole pacing, the cast is great led by Cilian Murphy and I’m a sucker for genre type movies and TV shows which take me back to another era and being transported to 1920’s-30’s Birmingham UK very much works for me.

The show runner and writers put together some great plots and so long as you have the closed captioning function working so you can make out the at times difficult to understand heavy British accents from some of the characters and you don’t mind a lot of violence, well I think you’ll get a real kick out of the Peaky Blinders.
I remember watching it when it first came out....always confused it with Ripper Street....lost track of it....then discovered that Tom Hardy (I LOVE THIS GUY!!!) was in the cast and my interest peaked again....still haven't returned though.

Never have problems with accents as I watch a tone of Brit and Aussie TV.

Maximus

Dec 23, 2003
Doylestown, PA
Just finished episode 4 of this new limited series on Netflix..."Unbelievable". Excellent and gripping show if anyone is looking for something to binge. I found it kind of by accident as it came up first when I logged in and after checking out a little bit of the trailer I said f*** it..let's give it a shot.

One of the better decisions I've made as it's been really really good. If you like crime thrillers with a who done it aspect, I highly recommend it. It is quite emotional as it deals with sexual assault and rape and the shame surrounding it but the acting is superb and it's hard not to keep clicking "next episode". OK gotta roll cause I need to watch episode 5 of the 8 part series.

Give it a watch...you won't regret it.

Reactions: Rangerfan4life90

aufheben

#Norris4Fox
Jan 31, 2013
New Jersey
Been watching [Marc] Maron on Netflix; The first two seasons are absolutely hilarious and ridiculously dark. S03 starts getting a little weirder and a little less funny...

Last edited:

Bleedbluesince88

Sep 15, 2019
Hey everyone long time follower of the forum finally decided to create an account.

I’m looking to buy a new tv not much Knowledge about them.
What are the best TVs to watch hockey games on ?
I have a Sony 930. I was told it was clear. It is but for hockey the motion and clarity is not what it should be. Any advice would help thanks

Irishguy42

Mr. Preachy
Sep 11, 2015
NJ
Hey everyone long time follower of the forum finally decided to create an account.

I’m looking to buy a new tv not much Knowledge about them.
What are the best TVs to watch hockey games on ?
I have a Sony 930. I was told it was clear. It is but for hockey the motion and clarity is not what it should be. Any advice would help thanks
What framerate is your video signal displaying as? A lower refresh rate is not going to be great for tracking the puck. Not sure if the X900 series defaults to 60Hz or 24.

And obviously a lower resolution is not going to help either, though I believe the X900 series would default to 4K.

Also, in the end, it really depends on the source material for the broadcast. You are most likely getting a 1080i 30HZ or 720p 60Hz broadcast, but your TV is upscaling it weirdly to 4K.

Bleedbluesince88

Sep 15, 2019
What framerate is your video signal displaying as? A lower refresh rate is not going to be great for tracking the puck. Not sure if the X900 series defaults to 60Hz or 24.

And obviously a lower resolution is not going to help either, though I believe the X900 series would default to 4K.

Also, in the end, it really depends on the source material for the broadcast. You are most likely getting a 1080i 30HZ or 720p 60Hz broadcast, but your TV is upscaling it weirdly to 4K.

The hr rate says
Motionflow XR 960 so I’m not to sure which one it is.
How do I check for the frame rate?
And the output says 1080i
What do you Suggest?

Irishguy42

Mr. Preachy
Sep 11, 2015
NJ
The hr rate says
Motionflow XR 960 so I’m not to sure which one it is.
How do I check for the frame rate?
And the output says 1080i
What do you Suggest?
I would suggest getting as close to 60Hz as you can, if you're watching sports mostly, and then the highest resolution you can get with that refresh rate.

Rangerfan4life90

Oct 14, 2008
College Point, NY
Just finished episode 4 of this new limited series on Netflix..."Unbelievable". Excellent and gripping show if anyone is looking for something to binge. I found it kind of by accident as it came up first when I logged in and after checking out a little bit of the trailer I said **** it..let's give it a shot.

One of the better decisions I've made as it's been really really good. If you like crime thrillers with a who done it aspect, I highly recommend it. It is quite emotional as it deals with sexual assault and rape and the shame surrounding it but the acting is superb and it's hard not to keep clicking "next episode". OK gotta roll cause I need to watch episode 5 of the 8 part series.

That show came across my Netflix home page and added it to my list. Looked very interesting. I'm actually binge-watching House of Cards. Started it a couple of weeks and already deep into season 4 lol.

Reactions: redwhiteandblue

Maximus

Dec 23, 2003
Doylestown, PA
That show came across my Netflix home page and added it to my list. Looked very interesting. I'm actually binge-watching House of Cards. Started it a couple of weeks and already deep into season 4 lol.

Dude...good move. I finished Unbelievable as I simply couldn't stop clicking "next episode". It was very very good. Listen, it's very deep and heavy and it's not a pleasent subject but the acting is off the charts as is the story line. I left feeling very satisfied with the ending and that it was very worth the time.

As far as House of Cards....awesome show. Acting is crazy good. Story line is so good that it almost feels real as if Frank is really our POTUS and not the current one. Just a phenomenal show and one of my Top 20 series ever IMO....enjoy!

Leetch3

Jul 14, 2009
just saw commercial for new series on USA 'Treadstone'...treadstone is the CIA program that created jason bourne. series will be about other assassins they created...fan of the movies and the books. I'm almost certain that this will be terrible but the concept has my interest peaked

Reactions: CasusBelli

CasusBelli

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 6, 2017
just saw commercial for new series on USA 'Treadstone'...treadstone is the CIA program that created jason bourne. series will be about other assassins they created...fan of the movies and the books. I'm almost certain that this will be terrible but the concept has my interest peaked
Love the books. The movies are entertaining, sure, but the suspense of the books outdoes the action scenes (however awesome they are).

Reactions: Leetch3

Leetch3

Jul 14, 2009
Love the books. The movies are entertaining, sure, but the suspense of the books outdoes the action scenes (however awesome they are).

interesting tidbit there...the guy who wrote the first movie never actually read the books, instead of just given an outline with notes from the book and wrote the movie off that. which is why it was similar but not the same (leaves out half the story) and then each of the following movies was written based on the previous movie which is why the books and movies share names and characters but as so drastically different.

i read the first 8 or 9 books, didn't realize until just now that they are up to 15

Reactions: CasusBelli

Deleted member 23124

Dude...good move. I finished Unbelievable as I simply couldn't stop clicking "next episode". It was very very good. Listen, it's very deep and heavy and it's not a pleasent subject but the acting is off the charts as is the story line. I left feeling very satisfied with the ending and that it was very worth the time.

As far as House of Cards....awesome show. Acting is crazy good. Story line is so good that it almost feels real as if Frank is really our POTUS and not the current one. Just a phenomenal show and one of my Top 20 series ever IMO....enjoy!
Max -- have you seen original House of Cards...I'm curious to see how the US version stands up compared to UK (very often comparison pales). I haven't finished UK version yet.

will1066

Fonz Drury
Oct 12, 2008
Was flipping channels and came upon All Elite Wrestling preshow on TNT. I dont follow wrestling anymore, but seeing Tony Schiavone is nostalgic. AEW looks like it's after a very matter of fact tone, a very meta feel, blurring kayfabe. They showed a sitdown fireside-style interview between Schiavone and Cody Rhodes. Looked like a pro sports interview. The fact that he is Dusty's son brought back nostalgic memories again.

And, Chris Jericho is old wow.

Last edited:

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
AEW’s challenge will be maintaining interest when the initial curiosity wears off.

The challenge for that type of programming, whether one follows it or thinks it’s the dumbest thing on the planet, is that it’s CONSTANT.

There’s no offseason, not season breaks, nothing. It’s constant content creation. That’s a lot harder than people realize.

will1066

Fonz Drury
Oct 12, 2008
AEW’s challenge will be maintaining interest when the initial curiosity wears off.

The challenge for that type of programming, whether one follows it or thinks it’s the dumbest thing on the planet, is that it’s CONSTANT.

There’s no offseason, not season breaks, nothing. It’s constant content creation. That’s a lot harder than people realize.
Yeah. It's no different than a TV show with showrunners. They can't say this is not working so we're changing the style. It's like a show that jumps the shark out of desperation.

If they stick to being a modern day JCP that values wrestling quality over soap drama entertainment, they will be successful. They are after a more mature audience as WWE caters more and more to adolescents.

Nanaki

Mar 29, 2008
Danbury, CT
Anyone watch The Man in the High Castle? Can't wait for season 4.
I watched it and thought it was well done. Personally, I could have gone for just the alternate history portion of the show without the tapes as I find that part more interesting. Then again that kind of would go against the source material of the books which I should really get around to reading one of these days.

Rangerfan4life90

Oct 14, 2008
College Point, NY
Just finished episode 4 of this new limited series on Netflix..."Unbelievable". Excellent and gripping show if anyone is looking for something to binge. I found it kind of by accident as it came up first when I logged in and after checking out a little bit of the trailer I said **** it..let's give it a shot.

Finished House of Cards about a week ago or so. I loved seasons 1-4, but almost had to force myself to finish season 5. Season 6 was okay. Claire did a great job in her role, but the season definitely went to s*** without Kevin Spacey. They definitely rushed that season out to finish the series. Overall, a good show for sure, but wouldn't actually have it up there with my favorites (weirdly enough for some reason).

Starting Dexter tonight!

Leetch3

Jul 14, 2009
Finished House of Cards about a week ago or so. I loved seasons 1-4, but almost had to force myself to finish season 5. Season 6 was okay. Claire did a great job in her role, but the season definitely went to s*** without Kevin Spacey. They definitely rushed that season out to finish the series. Overall, a good show for sure, but wouldn't actually have it up there with my favorites (weirdly enough for some reason).

Starting Dexter tonight!

stop after you finish season 4

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad