OT: TV & Movie Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Deleted member 23124

I did and I enjoyed it. Coincidentally, there was a TV mini series running in parallel about Getty clan and the kidnapping incident called "Trust" that was pretty good too. What's missing from Succession IMHO is that there were not enough examples of super reach lifestyle, like there're in Billions but I will definitely give season 2 a watch.
Was watching the trailer....Kiernan Culkin looks very good.

Trxjw

Retired.
May 8, 2007
Land of no calls..
Yeah, what I really love about Band of Brothers is how stunningly realistic it is...then you remember David Schwimmer was in it. :laugh:

You got people getting their goddamn limbs blown off and ****in Ross rolls up in his bomber jacket giving orders.

I'm still always amazed at how many "cheap" British actors who had roles in that series ended up being huge stars. Tom Hardy, Simon Pegg, Michael Fassbender, etc. Amazing show with so many interesting factoids about the cast.

Schwimmer was fantastic in that role as well.

Maximus

Dec 23, 2003
Doylestown, PA
OK just finished Season 3 of Stranger Things and overall I enjoyed the series quite a bit. You guys were right in thinking I would like it.

If I had to rank the 3 seasons, it would be season 1 followed by season 3 with season 2 lagging behind both of them. The finale of Season 3 was balls to the walls...so much going on and it had a satisfying yet predictable ending. Obviously there will be a Season 4 and tho not sure when it will be released, seeing I'm hooked, I'll be looking forward to it. So thanks again to those of y'all in here who recommended that I give it a shot...it was well worth it.

As far as City on the Hill, this past episode might have been the best of all of 8 of them and I'm very much looking forward to the finale now next week. Not sure if this series will be be renewed and tho it's not even close to being in my Top 20 or 30 series of all-time or even in the past 20 years, if another season came around, season 1 has done just enough for me to give it a another look.

aufheben

#Norris4Fox
Jan 31, 2013
New Jersey
A masterful movie that not many know about is Once Upon a Time in America. DeNiro, Woods...
Jennifer Connelly's first movie, too:

tumblr_osy11aA3aj1tdhimpo1_400.gif

Also, is James Woods not the man, or what? Haha.

I'm still always amazed at how many "cheap" British actors who had roles in that series ended up being huge stars. Tom Hardy, Simon Pegg, Michael Fassbender, etc. Amazing show with so many interesting factoids about the cast.

Schwimmer was fantastic in that role as well.
I'd have give it another go, I haven't seen it since high school. I'd get home, microwave about forty-seven El Monterey Taquitos, start up HBO OnDemand, and pass the f*** out halfway through the episode. Obviously, my high school tenure was not exactly a John Hughes movie, probably why I haven't gotten around to watching it again. :laugh:

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
Recent movies:

Who Framed Roger Rabbit - Can't believe it's been 31 years, remember seeing this as a kid and I still think it's a fun movie.

Sideways - I always forget just how much I love this movie, until I sit down and watch it. Very few movies can blend comedy and depth, but this movie does so masterfully.

Rocky V - Better than I remembered it being, but not the way I wanted the series to end. Glad they revisited the franchise.

Rocky Balboa - A much more fitting and hopeful ending to the original series.

Star Trek II through IV - A trilogy within the broader series of movies, and still enjoyable to sit through all these years later.

Reactions: Boris Zubov

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Star Trek II through IV - A trilogy within the broader series of movies, and still enjoyable to sit through all these years later.
Star Trek is always enjoyable. I also liked the reboot, or at least the first two movies of the reboot. Unfortunately, looks like it is done.

McRanger

Sponsor
Jul 20, 2005
The Wrath of Khan is such a great flick.

It's weird that Mr. Roarke from Fantasy Island was such a great villain.

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
Star Trek is always enjoyable. I also liked the reboot, or at least the first two movies of the reboot. Unfortunately, looks like it is done.

I've always enjoyed that universe, through its ups and downs.

Not going to lie, the new Picard series has me intrigued.

Reactions: zephyr

mrmovies779

The Greatest Teacher,Failure is.
Feb 5, 2013
Not going to lie, the new Picard series has me intrigued.
I hope its ends up being great.Would be a shame resurrecting such a great character only for it to flop.I havent been this hungry for something Star Trek related in a very long time.

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010
Ha ha, I wonder if @Edge intentionally set path to converge two separate on-going discussions (Tarantino / Star Trek).

Wonder if he will finish his career with this project (when he promised to retire after 10 movies) or make it an exception since it is a franchise - not one of his original scripts.

Reactions: Edge

Boris Zubov

No relation to Sergei, Joe
May 6, 2016
Back on the east coast
Recent movies:

Who Framed Roger Rabbit - Can't believe it's been 31 years, remember seeing this as a kid and I still think it's a fun movie.

Sideways - I always forget just how much I love this movie, until I sit down and watch it. Very few movies can blend comedy and depth, but this movie does so masterfully.

Two classics. Sideways is in my top 25 movies ever. So many great lines. I'm big into wine & have visited that region 4 or 5 times. Even played the golf course where Miles hits the ball back at the group behind them. :laugh:

Roger Rabbit was so brilliant & ahead of its time when it came out. Haven't watched it in over 10 years, but the last time I saw it, I remember thinking to myself that it aged well.

Reactions: Edge

Irishguy42

Mr. Preachy
Sep 11, 2015
NJ
is that good? I have it saved and feel as a wrestling fan I should watch it but haven't gotten around to it.
There is a lot less wrestling in this season compared to the previous two, but the character development really ramped up, and I think the wrestling will pick back up in S4, considering the finale for this one.

Reactions: Leetch3

Leonardo87

New York Rangers, Anaheim Ducks, and TMNT fan.
Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
OK just finished Season 3 of Stranger Things and overall I enjoyed the series quite a bit. You guys were right in thinking I would like it.

If I had to rank the 3 seasons, it would be season 1 followed by season 3 with season 2 lagging behind both of them. The finale of Season 3 was balls to the walls...so much going on and it had a satisfying yet predictable ending. Obviously there will be a Season 4 and tho not sure when it will be released, seeing I'm hooked, I'll be looking forward to it. So thanks again to those of y'all in here who recommended that I give it a shot...it was well worth it.

Yup, that's how I rank the seasons also. What I liked about the finale, there were several heroes that saved the day or helped in a big way to save the day. Not sure if Spoilers apply anymore, but..

I don't think Hopper is dead.

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010
Two classics. Sideways is in my top 25 movies ever. So many great lines. I'm big into wine & have visited that region 4 or 5 times. Even played the golf course where Miles hits the ball back at the group behind them. :laugh:

Roger Rabbit was so brilliant & ahead of its time when it came out. Haven't watched it in over 10 years, but the last time I saw it, I remember thinking to myself that it aged well.

Sideways was my official introduction to Paul Giamatti's talent and I've been a huge fan ever since.

aufheben

#Norris4Fox
Jan 31, 2013
New Jersey
People call it a failed classic, though I admit that I have no idea of what that term means.
I was reading up a bit on it last night. In the US, the studio was not happy with the final product for obvious American-dumbed-down reasons, and also scenes like the spoiler rape. So, Leone was like “Oh yeah? Well check this shit out,” and brought the film over to Europe and Cannes, where it was lauded. Nonetheless, back in the US, the studio execs were still not happy, and forced them (IIRC, the cuts might completely uninvolved Leone,) not only cut the US-version’s runtime in half, but also replace the flashback structure with a linear narrative (which, as you can imagine, would make absolutely no sense for the viewer.)

Despite the cuts, (because of them, actually,) the film was a box-Office disaster, nearly bankrupting the production company, and obviously devastating Leone who had been working on this for a long time (he declined to direct the The Godfather.) The poor guy’s health literally went to shit (ok it wasn’t great to begin with but still,) and he died five years later in 1989, without ever having made another film.

I think the European, a.k.a. actual, version was released on VHS a couple years later in the States, and Martin Scorsese helped restore a near-full version in 2012. So, yeah, while oxymoronic, a failed classic is pretty spot on. I would think there are still a great deal of people who have never seen it, which is understandable considering it’s legacy (or lack thereof,) runtime, and possible even the fact that it’s a 70s gangster-period that came out in the mid-80s, which is kind of odd [The Untouchables (1987) is another one]. I mean the movie is epic, to the point that it makes The Lord of the Rings seem brisk; not to say that it is boring or drawn out, it just a lot to take in, containing so much dramatic content, spanning so many years, with fully-realized historical and period accuracy. Not something I could watch like once a year, but given the time, it is a nearly-objective masterpiece (similar maybe to something like War and Peace).

Tl;dr: the whole thing was a cinematic tragedy.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Latest posts

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad