OT: TV & Movie Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Maximus

Dec 23, 2003
Doylestown, PA
I gave up on City about halfway through the 5th episode.

Did you Z? I almost did but I figured I've gone this far, let me see it thru to the end which happened last night but I was out of town and so I'll watch the finale tonight. Show got a bit better but as I've said...it's like a 5-6 out of 10 which is meh.

Maximus

Dec 23, 2003
Doylestown, PA
I know a few of y'all have given me Snowfall to give a look too and I was just about too until Netflix released season 2 of Mindhunters which I had been looking forward too.

So Snowfall will have to wait a bit tho if Mindhunters is as good this season as it was the first, I might be finished with the 10 episodes by middle of the week as I'll be up to 3 in the morning telling my wife "just one more episode hon and I'm coming to bed". 4 episodes later...voila...3 Am and wife pissed...lol

Reactions: aufheben

Deleted member 23124

I know a few of y'all have given me Snowfall to give a look too and I was just about too until Netflix released season 2 of Mindhunters which I had been looking forward too.

So Snowfall will have to wait a bit tho if Mindhunters is as good this season as it was the first, I might be finished with the 10 episodes by middle of the week as I'll be up to 3 in the morning telling my wife "just one more episode hon and I'm coming to bed". 4 episodes later...voila...3 Am and wife pissed...lol
Never heard of Mindhunters until recently....love Jonathan Groff from Hamilton and was thinking of giving it a shot....since we are usually in sync, now I'll have to give it a looksee.

Reactions: Maximus

Deleted member 23124

Did you Z? I almost did but I figured I've gone this far, let me see it thru to the end which happened last night but I was out of town and so I'll watch the finale tonight. Show got a bit better but as I've said...it's like a 5-6 out of 10 which is meh.

I seriously gave it a chance...but as I started watching, it seemed to me that it was the "same old, same old"....it's as if it hit a plateau and will go no further.

Maximus

Dec 23, 2003
Doylestown, PA
Never heard of Mindhunters until recently....love Jonathan Groff from Hamilton and was thinking of giving it a shot....since we are usually in sync, now I'll have to give it a looksee.

Yeah Z...you won't be dissapointed...trust me. If you like psychological thrillers than you are in like flint. I can't get enough of those types of movies or series so when I originally checked out the first season Mindhunters last year, I was hooked. Anyways, let me know what you think after you view it as I'll be interested if you and I are on a similar wave length.

Deleted member 23124

Yeah Z...you won't be dissapointed...trust me. If you like psychological thrillers than you are in like flint. I can't get enough of those types of movies or series so when I originally checked out the first season Mindhunters last year, I was hooked. Anyways, let me know what you think after you view it as I'll be interested if you and I are on a similar wave length.
It sounds a bit like L&O - Criminal Intent which I really liked (unlike quite a few people).

Reactions: Maximus

Deleted member 23124

I'm 3/4 through episode one....it definitely has my attention.

Leetch3

Jul 14, 2009
finally saw bohemian rhapsody...really well done. only complaint that I had was how they made up the part about him telling the band he had aids right before live aid. its unknown when he got infected but it is known that he didn't tell the band until a few years later. I understand why they did it but felt it was unnecessary considering its already a good story and that really didn't change the movie at all. as a fan of their music I would have rather they stayed true to the real story

Maximus

Dec 23, 2003
Doylestown, PA
Just getting around to seeing the Netflix doc of Fyre Festival. Wow. Jesus.

Yeah I saw that documentary. What a total shit show that was orchestrated by that ass clown Billy something or another..forgot his last name. Glad he went to jail but you have to admit, the peeps who bought into his BS had to have been pretty naive even before they bought their tickets.

I mean there were red flags all over the place and so tho I feel bad for them on one hand, on the other, some of them seemed to be a bunch of spoiled entitled peeps who spent the money their parents had given them and they kind of got screwed due to this entitlement feeling most of them felt. I don't know maybe I'm being a bit harsh but that was the impression I got from watching the documentary.

Maximus

Dec 23, 2003
Doylestown, PA
finally saw bohemian rhapsody...really well done. only complaint that I had was how they made up the part about him telling the band he had aids right before live aid. its unknown when he got infected but it is known that he didn't tell the band until a few years later. I understand why they did it but felt it was unnecessary considering its already a good story and that really didn't change the movie at all. as a fan of their music I would have rather they stayed true to the real story

Good points Leetchie...felt a bit like you as well. Good flick overall tho it wasn't that good to be have gotten so many nominations for Best Picture the year it came out. I was a bit surprised at all the accolades it received to be honest.

I was actually at Live Aid back in '85 in Philly with a bunch of college buds of mine. And I do remember vividly that when Queen went on the stage at Wembley Stadium in London, we in Philly were all watching their performance on the big TV screens they had at JFK stadium and I recall like it was yesterday myself and my buds all saying that what Queen was doing that day was beyond special and that this might be the best 20 minutes of music we had ever seen.

Now I'm a big Queen fan as they were the 2nd band I ever saw live in concert when I saw them at MSG in '77(Kiss in '76 was my first) and so I might be a bit biased but their performance that day might be the best gig any band has ever performed in the history of music...it was that good.

The movie did a great job in translating this masterpiece that day in July of '85 to those who were not old enough or even born to either have witnessed it live as it happened as I was so fortunate to have or for those who never even knew about it...it was simply phenomenal.

Reactions: Leetch3

will1066

Fonz Drury
Oct 12, 2008
Yeah I saw that documentary. What a total **** show that was orchestrated by that ass clown Billy something or another..forgot his last name. Glad he went to jail but you have to admit, the peeps who bought into his BS had to have been pretty naive even before they bought their tickets.

I mean there were red flags all over the place and so tho I feel bad for them on one hand, on the other, some of them seemed to be a bunch of spoiled entitled peeps who spent the money their parents had given them and they kind of got screwed due to this entitlement feeling most of them felt. I don't know maybe I'm being a bit harsh but that was the impression I got from watching the documentary.

It was such a surreal trainwreck. There were so many people who could've intervened and stopped it from happening but either got the wool pulled over their eyes by Billy McFarland or just wanted to be part of the greed. Ironic since in the end, McFarland couldn't pay them. His marketing team and partners were immensely talented. But their talents were harnessed for evil.

Still, anyone with a brain only had to cross-reference the musical acts Billy promised by going to the acts' own accounts and websites. I'll bet Fyre Fest didn't show up on the event calendars of most of those acts.

Interestingly, there's a competing documentary on the whole thing on Hulu. I'll see if I can watch that one. It's actually got an interview with that sociopath Billy.

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010
Adding a new recommendation. This on was produced by Starz and I know not many of you carry it in your TV package. However, lately they produced a lot of quality TV. This one is called The Rook and Olivia Munn is part of the cast though she's not the main character. The main character is played by Emma Greenwell who I remembered as one from early seasons of Shameless. She did an outstanding job with The Rook which is high intensity spy drama with certain elements of sci-fi. It also has some Memento moments too. I waited to finish the season before giving recommendation. The shows are like are generally ranked at the very top of critics / viewers must watch series. While The Rook would need a strong followup in season 2 and forward, season 1 was VERY good TV that stands on its own.

Reactions: zephyr

Do you want ants

Thats how u get ants
Jul 2, 2015
Anyone looking for comedies should check out Letterkenny (Hulu), Pen15 (Hulu) and Derry Girls (Netflix). Derry Girls is pretty much the Irish version of the inbetweeners.

Maximus

Dec 23, 2003
Doylestown, PA
It was such a surreal trainwreck. There were so many people who could've intervened and stopped it from happening but either got the wool pulled over their eyes by Billy McFarland or just wanted to be part of the greed. Ironic since in the end, McFarland couldn't pay them. His marketing team and partners were immensely talented. But their talents were harnessed for evil.

Still, anyone with a brain only had to cross-reference the musical acts Billy promised by going to the acts' own accounts and websites. I'll bet Fyre Fest didn't show up on the event calendars of most of those acts.

Interestingly, there's a competing documentary on the whole thing on Hulu. I'll see if I can watch that one. It's actually got an interview with that sociopath Billy.

I watched both documentaries. The interview with McFarland made me want to puke.

What a piece of shit of a human being he is. He tried to pull of another ponzie type scheme while he was in jail. Not sure if he's still in jail but he's one of these guys who tho he didn't commit a murder or anything violent, he hurt so many people financially, he deserves to rot in prison for minimum of 20 years plus...just sayin

Deleted member 23124

Adding a new recommendation. This on was produced by Starz and I know not many of you carry it in your TV package. However, lately they produced a lot of quality TV. This one is called The Rook and Olivia Munn is part of the cast though she's not the main character. The main character is played by Emma Greenwell who I remembered as one from early seasons of Shameless. She did an outstanding job with The Rook which is high intensity spy drama with certain elements of sci-fi. It also has some Memento moments too. I waited to finish the season before giving recommendation. The shows are like are generally ranked at the very top of critics / viewers must watch series. While The Rook would need a strong followup in season 2 and forward, season 1 was VERY good TV that stands on its own.
I'm watching this...I find it extremely entertaining.

Reactions: kovazub94

will1066

Fonz Drury
Oct 12, 2008
Just baffling how the project progressed as far as it did. Felt bad for no one except the island workers who got stiffed.
There were counter social media accounts that tried but no one wanted the truth

will1066

Fonz Drury
Oct 12, 2008
I watched both documentaries. The interview with McFarland made me want to puke.

What a piece of **** of a human being he is. He tried to pull of another ponzie type scheme while he was in jail. Not sure if he's still in jail but he's one of these guys who tho he didn't commit a murder or anything violent, he hurt so many people financially, he deserves to rot in prison for minimum of 20 years plus...just sayin
Yeah, NYC VIP was the name of the scam. Idk if I can sit through that McFarland interview wwithout going apeshit

Maximus

Dec 23, 2003
Doylestown, PA
Has anyone watched Peaky Blinders?

Dude...Peaky Blinders is very close to being in my personal top 5 of shows created over past 20-25 years its that good. My top 5 once again not necessarily in this order and I’ve probably listed this a few times before are The Wire, Breaking Bad, Sopranos, Justified and Oz.

But right there is Peaky. The whole pacing, the cast is great led by Cilian Murphy and I’m a sucker for genre type movies and TV shows which take me back to another era and being transported to 1920’s-30’s Birmingham UK very much works for me.

The show runner and writers put together some great plots and so long as you have the closed captioning function working so you can make out the at times difficult to understand heavy British accents from some of the characters and you don’t mind a lot of violence, well I think you’ll get a real kick out of the Peaky Blinders.

Reactions: Riche16

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010
Dude...Peaky Blinders is very close to being in my personal top 5 of shows created over past 20-25 years its that good. My top 5 once again not necessarily in this order and I’ve probably listed this a few times before are The Wire, Breaking Bad, Sopranos, Justified and Oz.

But right there is Peaky. The whole pacing, the cast is great led by Cilian Murphy and I’m a sucker for genre type movies and TV shows which take me back to another era and being transported to 1920’s-30’s Birmingham UK very much works for me.

The show runner and writers put together some great plots and so long as you have the closed captioning function working so you can make out the at times difficult to understand heavy British accents from some of the characters and you don’t mind a lot of violence, well I think you’ll get a real kick out of the Peaky Blinders.

Is it finished or still running?

Maximus

Dec 23, 2003
Doylestown, PA
Is it finished or still running?

Still going strong. Season 5 is starting in the UK tonight matter of fact and will hopefully be released on Netflix sometime this fall or sooner...I don’t know exactly when.

Bottom line if you are anyone is going to go for it and do a Peaky binge, you have to start from the beginning otherwise you’ll lose the luster of what makes it so great.

I only say this cause I have some friends who started Sopranos season 2 or Breaking Bad season3 and than they went back and watched it from beginning saying they screwed up and they should have done this from the get go

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad