OT: TV & Movie Thread: Part II

Maximus

Dec 23, 2003
Doylestown, PA
I'm a few episodes into season 2 of Animal Kingdom and tho it has a Sons of Anarchy type feel, I'm not finding myself dying to watch episodes after Met games are over like I was when I was watching the Handsmaid Tale.

I'm going to grind thru it but I'm not as enamored as I thought I'd be with the show and I hope it gets better. Anyone here watch it and can tell me it gets better? If not, I might just give it up pretty soon.

will1066

Fonz Drury
Oct 12, 2008
Im watching Midsommar. What the f&^k am I in for?

I'm on a horror leg.

1. Kingdom: Ashin of the North
2. The Swarm
3. Midsommar
4. Blood Red Sky

Edit: forgot to add Don't Breathe and A Quiet Place II above.

Last edited:
Reactions: Jabroni

Rangerfan4life90

Oct 14, 2008
College Point, NY
I hated the first show...thought it was really vague but fortunately it explained itself as it moved along . I am some glad I stayed with it as it was great TV .

One of my good friends basically gave up on Ozark after he (and his wife too I think) lost interest a few episodes into season 1. I keep pleading with him to keep watching and that most of season 1 admittedly is vague and not the best, but that season 2 and especially season 3 is MUCH better.

He's adamant that if a show doesn't capture his interest right away, he gives up and doesn't go back to it lol.

Reactions: leetch99

romba

Aug 2, 2005
New Jersey
One of my good friends basically gave up on Ozark after he (and his wife too I think) lost interest a few episodes into season 1. I keep pleading with him to keep watching and that most of season 1 admittedly is vague and not the best, but that season 2 and especially season 3 is MUCH better.

He's adamant that if a show doesn't capture his interest right away, he gives up and doesn't go back to it lol.
Agree with your friend! Not gonna push through a whole season (or even a few episodes) for supposed amazingness to come. If a show is ok or decent than I'm willing, if I'm really bored than no thanks.

Deleted member 23124

Am I crazy or has movies and tv shows been shite? If anything writing should be better... no?

I long for a Game of Thrones seasons 1-4.... maybe I should be reading instead.
Sounds like the best solution....I've found that I have little to no patience with most of the stuff today....I was always able to watch a good Brit bit -- but it seems lately even they are starting to slack off.

haohmaru

boomshakalaka
Aug 26, 2009
Fleming Island, Fl
Agree with your friend! Not gonna push through a whole season (or even a few episodes) for supposed amazingness to come. If a show is ok or decent than I'm willing, if I'm really bored than no thanks.

Meh - how many good books have you read that started slow? Need to time to develop characters and plots. Some shows take a while to get going (as do some great books).

Reactions: HatTrick Swayze

Glen Sathers Cigar

Sather 4 Ever
Feb 4, 2013
New York
Am I crazy or has movies and tv shows been shite? If anything writing should be better... no?

Yeah, I kind of feel the same way. There's still lots of good stuff, but I guess with so much more content it leads to more blah stuff being out there. It's not flat out bad stuff, but lots of just 'meh' stuff.

I just find myself re-watching The Sopranos like every year. Such an amazing show.

Jabroni

The People's Champ
Jun 1, 2008

I just finished watching Game of Thrones for the first time and now every tv show or movie pales in comparison.

will1066

Fonz Drury
Oct 12, 2008

Holy shit I just watched Gods of Egypt and proved you right.

Reactions: LokiDog

leetch99

Leetch66 Joined 2007
Oct 5, 2017
PEI Canada
I watched the first episode of Bordertown today which is a Finnish show with English subtitles. Not my favorite way to watch a show but it was actually decent and so far a good watch if you like murder /drama along those lines at least it was in this episode but it is continuing as they solved nothing in this one . I likely will watch one or two more and see how it goes.....

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Watched Mare of Eastwood (HBO) and was pleasantly surprised. Lead actress is particularly intense.

Virgin River on Netflix has likeable characters even if the storyline is kind of thin. Three seasons available, they’ve announced a 4th.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Has anyone seen The Victims Game on Netflix? Halfway done with season 1, and it's honestly up there with one of the best shows I've ever seen.

I’m watching it now, further to your comments.

It’s a foreign language series, so you have to contend with subtitles. I’m good with that as I prefer to hear the actors’ actual voices instead of dubbing.

Where this series is irritating is how the subtitles are scrolling a little fast on some sequences and that forces you to take your eyes off the action repeatedly. Probably amongst the fastest subtitles I’ve seen. It definitely doesn’t make for a pleasant viewing experience but hopefully it’ll get better.

Last edited:

Rangerfan4life90

Oct 14, 2008
College Point, NY
I’m watching it now, further to your comments.

It’s a foreign language series, so you have to contend with subtitles. I’m good with that as I prefer to hear the actors’ actual voices instead of dubbing.

Where this series is irritating is how the subtitles are scrolling a little fast on some sequences and that forces you to take your eyes off the action repeatedly. Probably amongst the fastest subtitles I’ve seen. It definitely doesn’t make for a pleasant viewing experience but hopefully it’ll get better.

Same, I always prefer subtitles anyway lol.

To the 2nd point, I honestly didn't really experience that, but I guess YMMV.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad