OT: TV & Movie Thread: Part II

IDvsEGO

Oct 11, 2016
I really hope it doesn't suck. Shannara Chronicles, I couldn't get past the first episode, and WoT is way bigger and deeper.

On an unrelated note, Loki is awesome.
Considering the cast and the director and the involvement of Sanderson I’ve got high hopes. wheel has a amazing story.

haohmaru

boomshakalaka
Aug 26, 2009
Fleming Island, Fl
Watched The Leftovers from start to finish - I liked it, but I didn't love it. The (rightly) damaged characters are hard to develop sympathy for and I don't know if that's the writing or the acting or both.

Started Mosquito Coast and it's pretty interesting through episode 3. Didn't realize the Dad was the same guy that starred in The Leftovers lol.

IDvsEGO

Oct 11, 2016
Apparently there's some talk it might be September since they moved up the release date for the show edition of the books.
That would be surprising since they still haven’t released the full trailer.

Deleted member 23124

I might expect Thor to be cynical about it, but his hammer?
I just finished episode 3 == took me (what seems like) forever to finish it....and I will watch ep 4. However, I have been underwhelmed by the whole thing so far...

LokiDog

Get pucks deep. Get pucks to the net. And, uh…
Sep 13, 2018
Dallas
Loki is fun.

The thing with a show like Loki - and really this is the truth of all the Marvel films - is that the plot is secondary to the charm of the character. You just watch for Tom Hiddleston.

Thor - especially Ragnarok - has Hemsworth, Hiddleston and then charming support from Korg, Valkyrie, Hulk. Guardians of the Galaxy could literally do anything as long as Starlord, Rocket, Groot, Draxx and co. have a solid one liner per 5 minutes ratio.

Loki is fun because Hiddleston plays it so well. He’s got a good dynamic with Owen Wilson, whose enjoyable in this role. The plot’s a bit slow moving but Loki is just… a mischievous scamp, and that’s good enough for cheap popcorn entertainment.

…I may be biased, of course.

Deleted member 23124

Loki is fun.

The thing with a show like Loki - and really this is the truth of all the Marvel films - is that the plot is secondary to the charm of the character. You just watch for Tom Hiddleston.

Thor - especially Ragnarok - has Hemsworth, Hiddleston and then charming support from Korg, Valkyrie, Hulk. Guardians of the Galaxy could literally do anything as long as Starlord, Rocket, Groot, Draxx and co. have a solid one liner per 5 minutes ratio.

Loki is fun because Hiddleston plays it so well. He’s got a good dynamic with Owen Wilson, whose enjoyable in this role. The plot’s a bit slow moving but Loki is just… a mischievous scamp, and that’s good enough for cheap popcorn entertainment.

…I may be biased, of course.
That's how I feel about Lucifer/Tom Ellis....I love Hiddleston. To me, he just seems weighed down by the material.

The Crypto Guy

Jun 26, 2017
Watched Chris Pratt in The Tomorrow War on Amazon Prime last night. Awful movie, but cool alien designs.
Thought it was pretty decent and seems to be the consensus. I'd recommend it.

Can't wait to watch Fear Street 1994 on Netflix. First of the trilogy (1978 is the second movie, then 1666 is the 3rd). Each being released 1 week from each other. First movie that just released is getting top reviews.

Reactions: NYR94

Deleted member 23124

I really hope it doesn't suck. Shannara Chronicles, I couldn't get past the first episode, and WoT is way bigger and deeper.

On an unrelated note, Loki is awesome.
Didn't know they finally got around to Shannara....I remember devouring those books.

aufheben

#Norris4Fox
Jan 31, 2013
New Jersey
One redeeming quality of A Quiet Place (other than getting suspension-of-disbelief reps watching Jim Halpert be macho) is that you can hear a pin drop in the theatre due to the entire audience straining to hear what the actors are actually f***ing saying. Although I can appreciate the aural dynamics of nap-inducing silence followed by ear-drum-exploding noise tropes.

Also, any movie that has humanoid, eyeless aliens but without Sigourney Weaver kicking said humanoid’s ass is already garbo. Right off the bat. Like…it’s the f***ing universe, you can literally create whatever spooky alien you can think of, and you come up with a tall dude that can’t see?

Last edited:

LokiDog

Sep 13, 2018
Dallas
The further I get into SoA the more I just want to ask all of SAMCRO why the f*** they listen to Clay when virtually every decision he makes is horrible and he is outed as a liar and two-timer over and over again. Jax sure as shit ain’t perfect but he lays things out logically and tries to have a strategy. And the crew is just like “yeah… that makes way more sense and is definitely smarter but Clay has a big jaw”.

Reactions: leetch99

LokiDog

Sep 13, 2018
Dallas
Stephen Dorff, who had been in such masterpieces as Sex, Guaranteed, Carjacked and Bucky Larson: “I don't want to be in Black Widow. It looks like garbage, like a bad video game. I'm embarrassed for them, for Scarlett!”

Scarlett Johansson:
78FB6B03-E3AE-46AD-9430-8A6D0A08FE97.png

Reactions: will1066

nyrage

Aug 2, 2005
Houston, TX
Watched The Leftovers from start to finish - I liked it, but I didn't love it. The (rightly) damaged characters are hard to develop sympathy for and I don't know if that's the writing or the acting or both.

Started Mosquito Coast and it's pretty interesting through episode 3. Didn't realize the Dad was the same guy that starred in The Leftovers lol.

Let me know by what episode you hate most of the family if not all. The dad is definitely unlikable early on.

nyrage

Aug 2, 2005
Houston, TX
The further I get into SoA the more I just want to ask all of SAMCRO why the f*** they listen to Clay when virtually every decision he makes is horrible and he is outed as a liar and two-timer over and over again. Jax sure as shit ain’t perfect but he lays things out logically and tries to have a strategy. And the crew is just like “yeah… that makes way more sense and is definitely smarter but Clay has a big jaw”.

That's a good question. I thought the first couple of seasons were fantastic and then it went downhill a little bit.

I know it's heresy, but I like the Mayans better than SOA.

Reactions: LokiDog

nyrage

Aug 2, 2005
Houston, TX
We talking Mosquito? It's gimmick is never letting you know what lead to their situation. It's mindless but somewhat fun. Watched all 7.

Yes, Mosquito Coast. I liked it at first, but I found myself hating the family halfway through it. I finished it, but thought it turned out pretty mediocre.

Crease

Chief Justice of the HFNYR Court
Jul 12, 2004
Money Heist has been good so far, though I’m not sure I’m committed to 4+ seasons of it.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad