Player Discussion Tuukka Rask - VII

Status
Not open for further replies.

finchster

Jul 12, 2006
Antalya
Any Rask vs Thomas debate is peak vs consistency. Rask is clearly more consistent, but Thomas at his best is better than Rask. I take Thomas over Rask, but I don't begrudge people who take Rask over Thomas.

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
Been going since 1966 and figure have seen 1500-1800 games live 99% either second row in back of Bruins net they defend twice in New Garden or front row corner clock Orr scored overtime goal

My ratings

1. Cheevers
2. Rask
3. Thomas
4. Moog
5. Johnston
6. Gilbert
7. Lemelin
8. Peeters
9. Dafoe
10. Ranford

NDiesel

Mar 22, 2008
NWO
Which goalie do you pick in a must win? Prime Bruins Thomas or Prime Bruins Rask. To me there is only one choice, but that's of course an opinion.
Post below you answered it for me. One game it's prime Thomas no doubt, overall Rask has had the better career and that's without a cup win or Conn smythe.

Reactions: Spooner st

BigGoalBrad

Jun 3, 2012
Thomas had so so postseasons in 08, 09, 12. Rasks played well in general every year in the playoffs. The team lost a lot of games in front of him they never should have for the series to go so deep over the years and he is 3-0 vs Toronto.

But if you repfrase Lou's question to specify a Game 7 you have to go with TT of course.

JOKER 192

Blow it up
Sponsor
Jun 14, 2010
Montreal,Canada
Been going since 1966 and figure have seen 1500-1800 games live 99% either second row in back of Bruins net they defend twice in New Garden or front row corner clock Orr scored overtime goal

My ratings

1. Cheevers
2. Rask
3. Thomas
4. Moog
5. Johnston
6. Gilbert
7. Lemelin
8. Peeters
9. Dafoe
10. Ranford

You gotta give Gilbert more love than that and Johnston wouldn't even be in my top 10.

LouJersey

Jun 29, 2002
Graves to Gardens
youtu.be
Thomas had so so postseasons in 08, 09, 12. Rasks played well in general every year in the playoffs. The team lost a lot of games in front of him they never should have for the series to go so deep over the years and he is 3-0 vs Toronto.

But if you repfrase Lou's question to specify a Game 7 you have to go with TT of course.

Thomas had .929 and .923 in the canes abs caps series. HE was phenomenal 09 playoffs

LouJersey

Jun 29, 2002
Graves to Gardens
youtu.be
also this revisionist history on Thomas' 2011 play-off run is horseshit. Easily the best Bruin and #1 reason by a mile that they won that Cup.

He faced on average 34 shots per GAME. His GSAA was an absolutely INSANE 20.72. To try to nitpick or discount his performance overall is just as bad as blaming Rask for the '13 and '19 Cup losses IMO. Rask's 2013 play-offs was equal to Thomas in 2011, save the GSAA yet he gets called a choker that season.

BigGoalBrad

Jun 3, 2012
'10 Rask = '09 Thomas. Only difference is we were massive underdogs in the R1 Buffalo series Rask stole vs being 1 seeds up against an injured Price.

Rask probably 'should' have had 2 more chances to add to his postseason resume. He got hurt late in the year in 2012 when we were pretty close to replacing TT with him after the off ice distractions re White House (unfair IMO) came out. And he also ate some bad chicken wings one year that led to a missed playoffs.

Dicky113

Oct 30, 2007
Which goalie do you pick in a must win? Prime Bruins Thomas or Prime Bruins Rask. To me there is only one choice, but that's of course an opinion.
How can anyone debate this?

Thomas delivered a cup, he was otherworldly in exactly the game(s) is you describe. Rask fell flat. Not often do we have direct historical evidence to back up a debate, but this is one case where it isn’t debatable

Reactions: Aeroforce

Dicky113

Oct 30, 2007
also this revisionist history on Thomas' 2011 play-off run is horse****. Easily the best Bruin and #1 reason by a mile that they won that Cup.

He faced on average 34 shots per GAME. His GSAA was an absolutely INSANE 20.72. To try to nitpick or discount his performance overall is just as bad as blaming Rask for the '13 and '19 Cup losses IMO. Rask's 2013 play-offs was equal to Thomas in 2011, save the GSAA yet he gets called a choker that season.
I didn’t know we were revising that. There is absolutely zero argument that Thomas didn’t single handedly win that cup. There is a reason why that bruins team is ranked as one of the worst teams to win a cup. Thomas stole that, and regardless of his politics or personality, it’s total crap if we start denying it

UncleRico

May 8, 2017
This is very hard to debate between the two. Tim Thomas has an insanely good shut down type defense in front of him. Something that Rask has rarely had and when Rask did have it for a very short stint, Rask won a vezina.

I’d probably say Rask if each of them both had the same defense in front of them. Tim Thomas has a much better purely defensive group than Tuukka.

Bruinfanatic

Apr 22, 2016
Ontario
Come on Rask wasn’t great game seven,I will admit that,but not a chance in hell that the Bruins would have gotten anywhere near as far as they did without him.Other players I will definitely blame for the game 7 loss ,but I’m not blaming Rask even slightly for not winning the cup.

JOKER 192

Blow it up
Sponsor
Jun 14, 2010
Montreal,Canada
Johnston was a starting goalie in the Original Six era. That should speak for itself.

Last goalie to play every game in a season.

Maybe I saw him at the tail end of his career but he didn't impress and he was a backup at that time. It was a long time ago so maybe I'm remembering wrong.

Otherworld

Oct 26, 2016
Tuukka proved to me that he is more than capable of winning a Cup.

I am hoping he has a better start to the year this year but as far as being the guy to get us there. His body of work in last years post-season speaks for itself.

Dennis Bonvie

Dec 29, 2007
Connecticut
Tuukka proved to me that he is more than capable of winning a Cup.

I am hoping he has a better start to the year this year but as far as being the guy to get us there. His body of work in last years post-season speaks for itself.

Of course he is.

But there are many such goalies in the NHL today.

Just had one by a goalie who only had 33 NHL games played going into the playoffs.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad