Turris Vs Pajaarvi

member 30781

:laugh:

If Paajarvi didn't have good hands would he be able to pull that **** off in the first place? That's the point.

Congrats. Give me enough time and I bet you I could do what he did in the shootout too. Still doesn't mean he can get around defenders better than anyone else. You can have the best hands in the world, but when is the last time you saw a move like that during a game?

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008
Pajaarvi has solid passing skills, a very good shot, effortless skater and the frame and the ability one day to excel at both ends of the rinks. It really is a little Hossa-lite. He's basically a shoe-in to be a 60 point two way Forward.

What makes you think that? Only 49 players had 60 points or more this past season. Paajarvi isn't considered a high-end offensive player and lacks the basic offensive tools to put up such high numbers while still playing a solid two-way game. Also the chances of him getting 60+ points on the wing while playing for the Oilers is very low. It looks like Hall, Eberle and RNH will all be 60+ point forwards one day. Since they are better offensive players than Paajarvi, they will be given more oppourtunity to score at even strength and on the powerplay. I don't think Paajarvi has the natural talent to put up 1st line winger numbers while playing 2nd line minutes with 2nd PP time.

Turris has the higher offensive potential. I see him turning into a 30G-40A-70P centerman if all goes correctly for him. Paajarvi? A two-way winger that puts up 40-50P a season.

member 30781

What makes you think that? Only 49 players had 60 points or more this past season. Paajarvi isn't considered a high-end offensive player and lacks the basic offensive tools to put up such high numbers while still playing a solid two-way game. Also the chances of him getting 60+ points on the wing while playing for the Oilers is very low. It looks like Hall, Eberle and RNH will all be 60+ point forwards one day. Since they are better offensive players than Paajarvi, they will be given more oppourtunity to score at even strength and on the powerplay. I don't think Paajarvi has the natural talent to put up 1st line winger numbers while playing 2nd line minutes with 2nd PP time.

Turris has the higher offensive potential. I see him turning into a 30G-40A-70P centerman if all goes correctly for him. Paajarvi? A two-way winger that puts up 40-50P a season.

Could not have said it better myself.

Joey Moss

Aug 29, 2008
Yeah, how's Robbie Shremp projecting on the Oilers depth chart this year?
Completely irrelevent to the discussion, but thanks for contributing.
Congrats. Give me enough time and I bet you I could do what he did in the shootout too. Still doesn't mean he can get around defenders better than anyone else. You can have the best hands in the world, but when is the last time you saw a move like that during a game?
Fair enough.. here is some examples of him in game time situations..

0:40 / 0:58 / 1:47 / 2:01 = good examples of Paajarvi's so called "bad shot"

This whole video pretty much proves this whole thing wrong.. Once he gains some confidence he'll be making plays just as he did in Timra. And look at some of the snipes in this video. :amazed:

Like I said before, that comment was just completely out of the blue.

member 30781

No it isn't. Rob Schremp (according to your definition of Pajaarvi's skillset) had phenomenal hands, pretty good speed, and a great shot. Look how far that has gotten him so far.

This whole video pretty much proves this whole thing wrong.. Once he gains some confidence he'll be making plays just as he did in Timra. And look at some of the snipes in this video. :amazed:

No it doesn't. Your videos have proved nothing towards the argument of Pajaarvi. Almost all of those goals were on one timers where he had a clear open net or dirty rebounds.

Sloth Slothersons*

You guys do realize that he posted those Paajarvi highlights to show that he has decent hands and shot, not that he's going to be an allstar or better than Turris. It doesn't matter whether it was a regular season game or not, that was not the point.

Joey Moss

Aug 29, 2008
No it isn't. Rob Schremp (according to your definition of Pajaarvi's skillset) had phenomenal hands, pretty good speed, and a great shot. Look how far that has gotten him so far.

No it doesn't. Your videos have proved nothing towards the argument of Pajaarvi. Almost all of those goals were on one timers where he had a clear open net or dirty rebounds.

What?!

Rob Schremp was undersized, he was not fast, and he was horrible defensively. He is the polar opposite to what Paajarvi is. Big, fast and good defensively. :help:

I'm done with this discussion, it's going no where. I don't see how you could possibly deny what I'm saying but whatevs.

Joey Moss

Aug 29, 2008
You guys do realize that he posted those Paajarvi highlights to show that he has decent hands and shot, not that he's going to be an allstar or better than Turris. It doesn't matter whether it was a regular season game or not, that was not the point.

Thankyou! :bow:

Not that tough to understand..

Freudian

Clearly deranged
Jul 3, 2003
I'm not overly impressed by either player, but I think Turris will turn out to be the better of them.

Cold Dome Beers

yaaaaaaahhhhoooooooo
Aug 29, 2011
Turris is a good player, and his little kick shootout move against the islanders was really cheeky, though I am somewhat biased as an oiler fan that I like Paajarvi more simply cause I've seen him play more often. I suspect Paajarvi will end up having a better career (especially if he plays with his fellow countrymen Lander and Omark), but Turris looks promising.

AUAIOMRN

Aug 22, 2005
Edmonton

I think that first video is an Omark highlight video as much as Paajarvi :laugh:

And I don't think it's unfair to question his hands at this point. His shooting percentage was pretty bad (8.3), although I think it'll get a lot better as he gets stronger.

SevenOfSpades

Dec 9, 2010
Turris. It may take him longer to get to his ceiling than Paajarvi but he's got scarier potential.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
I'd take Paajarvi. Paajarvi will be a really good two way forward and you can't teach his elite speed. IMO he'll show more offense as he gets used to the North American/NHL game.

J17 Vs Proclamation

Oct 29, 2004
Reading.

What? Paajarvi has been considered a player with alot of Offensive tools. His production at every level up until last year has been of someone capable of putting up good stats in the NHL. He has world class skating, capable of controlling the puck to a fairly high level, a good shot and will drive to the net well. His stat line last year for a rookie who recieved limited time and was adjusting to NA was solid. Expect an increase in totals.

It's a little naive and borderline ridiculous to say a 20 yr old prospect with clearly identified solid Offensive hockey skills that scored 34 points in his 1st year after limited time/adjusting to a different culture doesn't have the potential to hit 60 points.

Turris may have higher potential, but he's going to find it tougher to get there.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
What? Paajarvi has been considered a player with alot of Offensive tools. His production at every level up until last year has been of someone capable of putting up good stats in the NHL. He has world class skating, capable of controlling the puck to a fairly high level, a good shot and will drive to the net well. His stat line last year for a rookie who recieved limited time and was adjusting to NA was solid. Expect an increase in totals.

It's a little naive and borderline ridiculous to say a 20 yr old prospect with clearly identified solid Offensive hockey skills that scored 34 points in his 1st year after limited time/adjusting to a different culture doesn't have the potential to hit 60 points.

Turris may have higher potential, but he's going to find it tougher to get there.

Agreed, Paajarvi can also play both wings so one day he could be playing opposite of Hall. If not the Oilers are building a dynamo of a team, a few more pieces and they will be a high scoring team.

hfboardsuser

Nov 18, 2004
History has generally not been kind to players of Turris' career path. Perhaps the best comparable to him in terms of skillset, draft pedigree and consistency issues is Stephen Weiss:

Weiss, age 18: 7 GP, 1-1-2
Turris, age 18: 3 GP, 0-1-1

Weiss, age 19: 77 GP, 6-15-21
Turris, age 19: 63 GP, 8-12-20

Weiss, age 20: 50 GP, 12-17-19
Turris, age 21: 65 GP, 11-14-25

Both were also demoted to the A for one season:

Weiss, AHL (age 21): 80 GP, 22-32-54
Turris, AHL (age 20): 76 GP, 24-39-63

If history repeats itself, Turris should break 40 points this year and hang around at that level for at least another season before taking a big step forward. Whether the Coyotes will have been patient enough for that to occur is another matter.

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008

By "good" you are probably referring to the speed of his shot, which is not bad at all, but it's not very accurate and doesn't find it's way to the mesh nearly enough. 8.3% shooting percentage is pretty terrible, it's good for 336th in the league. I agree his speed is great and he does drive the net occasionally, but his hands are suspect. To score 60 points in this league you have to have an above average set of mitts. Most of the goals he scored this season were garbage goals around the net. If Paajarvi is going to become the 60-70 point two-way winger Oilers fans think he will become, he'll need to score skilled goals sometime. Any NHL player can score goals in the slot if given the puck. I'm not sure he has the hockey sense, hands or passing ability to make up for his lack of scoring.

Of course he has the potential to hit 60 points, I just don't think he'll reach it. 60 may not seem like a big number but less than 50 players managed to hit that number in 2010/11. I can name a lot of players with more offensive skill than Paajarvi that might not ever put up 60 points in a single season.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
By "good" you are probably referring to the speed of his shot, which is not bad at all, but it's not very accurate and doesn't find it's way to the mesh nearly enough. 8.3% shooting percentage is pretty terrible, it's good for 336th in the league. I agree his speed is great and he does drive the net occasionally, but his hands are suspect. To score 60 points in this league you have to have an above average set of mitts. Most of the goals he scored this season were garbage goals around the net. If Paajarvi is going to become the 60-70 point two-way winger Oilers fans think he will become, he'll need to score skilled goals sometime. Any NHL player can score goals in the slot if given the puck. I'm not sure he has the hockey sense, hands or passing ability to make up for his lack of scoring.

Of course he has the potential to hit 60 points, I just don't think he'll reach it. 60 may not seem like a big number but less than 50 players managed to hit that number in 2010/11. I can name a lot of players with more offensive skill than Paajarvi that might not ever put up 60 points in a single season.

And how many of them have his speed and size? It's about the total package not just who has the best dangles.

Eytinge

Jul 25, 2009
Paajarvi has all the tools to be a perpetual top-10 PPG guy in the NHL. Except for the hockey sense that is. He has to learn how to play in-tight and in the corners.

If he learns that, its Paajarvi for sure.

If not, give me Turris. His role will increase alot this year.
Uh no. He won't play on Edmonton's top line, so I doubt he gets enough icetime to every score a ppg. Unless you mean 5 points in 5 games.
And how many of them have his speed and size? It's about the total package not just who has the best dangles.
He has great speed and size, but unlike Hall I don't see the drive and will to score. He has a good shot but the release is painfully slow at times. He also plays soft at times, I remember him a few times in scrums taking punches with no retaliation...very Sedin-like (which I don't like).

He is a pretty solid passer though and seems to have great chemistry with Omark. He also is one of our few players that has a desire to play a two-way game. But he gets a little overrated I find. I'd be extremely happy if he can turn into a 55-65 second line winger that plays PP and PK (I have no idea why Renney has never played him on the PK). We don't need him to turn into a PPG winger for us, a lesser version of Hossa would be ideal IMO.

Hug Ben Laf

#86 #10 #13
Mar 22, 2002
Im the guy next door
MSP: I have not follow him much in NHL, but when he played here in Sweden for Timra IK, his last season here I was one of his teams small sponsor and got season tickets. And from what I saw I was not impressed with MSP, he got great speed and can use that speed to take the puck up ice very easily. But once he is there that the problems show as to me he does not seem to have the skills or will to make any dangerous play in the offensive zone. It always seem like he end up going on the outside and behind the net once he arrive in the O zone with the puck. I think he if change his game and become a pure playmaker he can be Gomez like.

Turris: After his last playoff performance Im fully confident that this upcoming season will be his breakout season. In a perfect world this season should be his 1st or 2nd NHL season as Turris seem to finally have NHL size and strenght. And it also seem that he is Yotes 1st or 2nd line center so he will get more minutes than ever before in his NHL career.

Looking at my avatar you will know my answer is Turris :)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad