Turris Vs Pajaarvi

Gwyddbwyll

Dec 24, 2002
Two things: Turris hasn't done anything significant at the NHL level and, the last time he was dominant was in the BCHL. The freaking BCHL!!!! Hardly a league of stars.

Freak out about the BCHL all you like but you're wrong.

As a teenage rookie Turris had 35 in 36 games at college level (despite months of sickness) and again at near-PPG rate as a rookie in the AHL. In both situations he became the team's go-to player, there was little support.

JAS 39 Gripen

Jun 26, 2011
Stockholm
Pääjärvi impressed me in his only shift against Canada in the WJC Gold medal game back in 2008 (?) in Czech Republic. Since then, he havnt done anything special... Gimmi Järnkrok instead, Turris and MPS will fail.

vippe

Mar 18, 2008
Sweden
Turris has better upside but I think MPS will have a better season this upcoming year.

Pääjärvi impressed me in his only shift against Canada in the WJC Gold medal game back in 2008 (?) in Czech Republic. Since then, he havnt done anything special... Gimmi Järnkrok instead, Turris and MPS will fail.

What has Järnkrok done to warrant that? Yup, nothing.

MPS was pretty damn impressive in the 2010 WCs

jukon

NHL Point Leader
Mar 17, 2011
MPS. Turris has two years on Paajarvi and only in last years playoffs did he start showing what he can do.

hallonskal

Jun 1, 2010
Turris has better upside but I think MPS will have a better season this upcoming year.

What has Järnkrok done to warrant that? Yup, nothing.

MPS was pretty damn impressive in the 2010 WCs

Scoring against weaker teams and disappearing when the it actually matters = impressive?

Swep

Dec 31, 2010
Sundsvall
I've only seen highlights from Paajarvi in the NHL, but I can't understand how alot of you consider him a defensive forward after just his first season.
He's been considered a super talented offensive forward since he was 13-14 years old. He was one of the youngest players to ever play in the SEL, the youngest to play for Sweden in the world juniors and is just starting his first season as a senior player. I think it's a good thing he shows some good defense, because the offensive skills are definitly there, I saw him almost every game he played for Timrå. He would have been one of the top scorers in the league if he stayed another year in Sweden, like Henrik Zetterberg and Peter Forsberg did.

It was his first year living in a new country. I think this season you will see alot more of him and hopefully he can have some swedish company all season. Many great swedish players have talked about how important it is to have someone you can talk your native language to, no matter how good your english is.

vippe

Mar 18, 2008
Sweden
Scoring against weaker teams and disappearing when the it actually matters = impressive?

Scoring in the bronze game actually matters no? He was elected to the All-Star team for a reason. He was good, even when he wasnt scoring. You noticed he was a kid at times but what can you expect from a kid that just turned 19 years old playing against some of the best players in the world. He was impressive, not matter if you like him or not.

2XPRO31

Jul 13, 2007
Pajaarvi is a great player.. but i'd take Turris, I think he's going to be a special player

ohheyhemsky

Regehr DooDoo
Nov 1, 2010
DT Cowtown
I'm an Oilers fan and I honestly do not see what everyone else must see in Paajarvi. He's obviously one of the fastest players in the league right now but he has a horrible shot and minimal hands. I guess maybe once he fills out his big frame and learns to shoot he could be something special.

Come on man. No hands, and no shot?

It's pretty obvious the kid has above average hands so I'm not going to touch that one, but it's also obvious that you're picking up on "where he shoots" instead of "how he shoots". He shoots from lower quality, low percentage, outside perimeter areas and it's something that can easily be taught out of him but it doesn't mean he has a bad shot. The kid actually had a sick shot. Add that with his speed, his acceleration, his defensive responsibility and awareness and his ability to cycle and you can probably get closer to seeing what the rest of us see.

Hug Ben Laf

#86 #10 #13
Mar 22, 2002
Im the guy next door
MPS. Turris has two years on Paajarvi and only in last years playoffs did he start showing what he can do.

Turris was rushed to the NHL, he should have stayed in NCAA for atleast 1 more year.
But it seem he is back on the right track this season and finally have a NHL size body. We will see, I fully expect Turris to break out this year.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
I've only seen highlights from Paajarvi in the NHL, but I can't understand how alot of you consider him a defensive forward after just his first season.
He's been considered a super talented offensive forward since he was 13-14 years old. He was one of the youngest players to ever play in the SEL, the youngest to play for Sweden in the world juniors and is just starting his first season as a senior player. I think it's a good thing he shows some good defense, because the offensive skills are definitly there, I saw him almost every game he played for Timrå. He would have been one of the top scorers in the league if he stayed another year in Sweden, like Henrik Zetterberg and Peter Forsberg did.

It was his first year living in a new country. I think this season you will see alot more of him and hopefully he can have some swedish company all season. Many great swedish players have talked about how important it is to have someone you can talk your native language to, no matter how good your english is.

His defensive game was much more refined than other rookies that we've had come through our team. He was very conscious defensively and worked hard on the back check. I believe that he will be a very good two way player when it's all said and done. I'm really hoping to see him take the next step this season as he matures physically, gains experience, and feels more comfortable with the contact of the North American game.

I also agree with you that having another Swede around is good for his development whether it's Omark, Lander, or both.

richardsequalscup*

Turris like all Yotes prospects will never come close to reaching his offensive potential with Tippett as coach. Tippett is another version of Renney. Tries to win every game 1-0 or 2-1.

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
Turris like all Yotes prospects will never come close to reaching his offensive potential with Tippett as coach. Tippett is another version of Renney. Tries to win every game 1-0 or 2-1.

Renney certainly does not coach that way in Edmonton.

I am a big fan of Paajarvi, but if I was a neutral team looking to start over I'd likley take Turris. Highly talented centers are harder to come by than all-round wingers.

duul

Jun 21, 2010
Easily most uneducated opinion I have read! Totally wrong! Horrible shot? What the heck have you been watching?

I watched as many Oilers games as I could last year, maybe you should try watching the highlights of the goals he scored or something. His shot isn't HORRIBLE, I take that back. It's definitely below average though.

Hutz

Sep 7, 2007
Perhaps this a little unfair, but i find thos borderline asinine from someone who definitely forms the small collective of Sens fans who seem to be in overdrive to hype and overstate their own prospect worth, but when it comes to a different team, suddenly these expecations lower dramatically. Perhaps unfair to label you at this ; however from what i've read and the borderline crap of the above post, doesn't seem far off.

Might get burned on my own home turf for saying, but I recall a big hubbub over us taking Cowen instead of MPS. That said, I'd still probably take Turris.

Pajarrvi probably will do better, Turris could have been so great it seems.

Yes, Turris could have and would have been so great and maybe will have been pretty great.

Joseppi

Oct 12, 2008
Kepler-22b
I watched as many Oilers games as I could last year, maybe you should try watching the highlights of the goals he scored or something. His shot isn't HORRIBLE, I take that back. It's definitely below average though.

The wrist shot I'll give you, but he's got a pretty booming slapper. Heavy and accurate.

imo, the only thing he really needs to work on is his release. He's got the strength for sure, he just needs to improve on his technique.

duul

Jun 21, 2010
The wrist shot I'll give you, but he's got a pretty booming slapper. Heavy and accurate.

imo, the only thing he really needs to work on is his release. He's got the strength for sure, he just needs to improve on his technique.

How many slapshots did he score with? :naughty:

La Bamba

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 23, 2009
I would take Paajarvi without hesitation. He put up better numbers than Turris being two years younger and it was also his first full year of playing on NA sized rinks.

Turris has made no progress in his point totals since his 19 year old season in PHX

Wheatking

Sep 25, 2006
3 by my count :laugh:
Point taken
That doesn't tell the whole story though. He was used on the point with the man advantage because if he had to shoot(usually elected to pass the puck), he would be able to get it through to the net.

It's not his shot that's the problem. It's his shot selection. Flying down the wing and snapping the shot net isn't going to score you a ton of goals. I know Ethan Moreau would tell you differently but he's wrong ;)

Senor Catface

Jul 25, 2006
No it isn't. Rob Schremp (according to your definition of Pajaarvi's skillset) had phenomenal hands, pretty good speed, and a great shot. Look how far that has gotten him so far.

No it doesn't. Your videos have proved nothing towards the argument of Pajaarvi. Almost all of those goals were on one timers where he had a clear open net or dirty rebounds.

Nothing like killing your own invalid comments.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad