Turris Vs Pajaarvi

Forgot About Drai

Dr Drai the Second
Jul 10, 2009
Edmonton
Ill take Paajarvi. Turris has a higher ceiling but even if Paajarvi doesn't make it as a top 6 forward he can be a big,two way, 3rd liner. Cant be said for Turris.

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008
And how many of them have his speed and size? It's about the total package not just who has the best dangles.

Size doesn't matter much if you are as soft as a baby's bottom.

Speed doesn't matter much if you don't have the shot to score from the wing or the hands to deke the defender(s) at high speed.

J17 Vs Proclamation

Oct 29, 2004
Reading.
By "good" you are probably referring to the speed of his shot, which is not bad at all, but it's not very accurate and doesn't find it's way to the mesh nearly enough. 8.3% shooting percentage is pretty terrible, it's good for 336th in the league. I agree his speed is great and he does drive the net occasionally, but his hands are suspect. To score 60 points in this league you have to have an above average set of mitts. Most of the goals he scored this season were garbage goals around the net. If Paajarvi is going to become the 60-70 point two-way winger Oilers fans think he will become, he'll need to score skilled goals sometime. Any NHL player can score goals in the slot if given the puck. I'm not sure he has the hockey sense, hands or passing ability to make up for his lack of scoring.

Of course he has the potential to hit 60 points, I just don't think he'll reach it. 60 may not seem like a big number but less than 50 players managed to hit that number in 2010/11. I can name a lot of players with more offensive skill than Paajarvi that might not ever put up 60 points in a single season.

Perhaps this a little unfair, but i find thos borderline asinine from someone who definitely forms the small collective of Sens fans who seem to be in overdrive to hype and overstate their own prospect worth, but when it comes to a different team, suddenly these expecations lower dramatically. Perhaps unfair to label you at this ; however from what i've read and the borderline crap of the above post, doesn't seem far off.

34 points in his 1st year with average linematers and his 1st yar adjusting. Yeah ... 60 points is never going to happen. He's 20. His shot at every level before this was very good, one poor year in difficult circumstances doesn't change the fact that he does have a good hard accurate show. His speed, his board play, his drive to the net and his solid NHL shot will allow him to produce at the NHL level without a doubt.

His hockey sense will likely prevent him from becoming an NHL star (Everything else is almost there).

To score 60 points in this leagu you need mant attributes Pajaarvi has. There have been many worse players with less tools that have scored 60 + points in the NHL.

Pajaarvi likely won't be the star we perhaps hoped 2-3 years ago, but again, i think it's borderline ridiculous to suggest he doesn't hjave 60 pt potential down the line.

UnrefinedCrude

Jun 7, 2011
If MPS is so terrible, how did he make the WC all-star team? I think he's going to be better than Eberle.

add in eventually to the end of that, and I agree.

MPS had a tough adjustment year. With absolutely no reasonable support he had a hard time adjusting to the tougher North American game, both in style, and in increased level of competition.

But as the year progressed he started learning how to use his size, and play with more confidence and poise. I think he has a higher ceiling than Ebs.

Turris, well, I don't know him well enough to compare. what I did see of him I liked. I think at his size he may take a while to hit his ceiling.

Examining this from the point of view of either GM I come to the same conclusion, "bird in hand is better than ..."

far too early in either career to make the call. Neither has even come near tapping their potential yet.

reffree

Apr 24, 2003
ste-justine québec
Visit site
Not sure how many Phoenix and Edmonton games anyone would watch if they were not a fan of the team. It always makes me laugh when non-Oilers fans critique the young guys on our team. Are these people really tuning in to watch a last place team? I watched all 82 last year and it was painful at times :cry:

I'm taking PRV but think it's a wash and each team should stick to the home grown talent

Looking at Oilers game is pretty funny for a hockey fans who dosen't care about the game result. Oilers are a young team playing all offense, no defense and it make up for a lot of scoring chances and skating. They were one of the most entertaining team to see last season.

Eytinge

Jul 25, 2009
Looking at Oilers game is pretty funny for a hockey fans who dosen't care about the game result. Oilers are a young team playing all offense, no defense and it make up for a lot of scoring chances and skating. They were one of the most entertaining team to see last season.
I must have been watching another team. :laugh:

Not fun to watch your team be pinned in the defensive zone for minutes on end. Or have a horrible PK and PP.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004

Speed doesn't matter much if you don't have the shot to score from the wing or the hands to deke the defender(s) at high speed.

Kid was adapting to the NA game, I'm not saying that he'll be a Clutterbuck type or anything, but this is an area of his game that should improve.

And you mentioned hands already, however how many of those players don't have the size/speed to pull it off? Paajarvi's hands are underrated not elite by any stretch but he was getting better as the year went on.

But hey, hands = everything so one of the best in the world just went to Sweden because that's where Schremp is.

Nalens Oga

Jan 5, 2010
Canada
Turris was probably the Yotes 2nd best forward in the playoffs, I'd take him. It took a while but might shine through now.

Fortheloveofthegame

Mar 18, 2008
USA
MPS for sure. I think he is being overshadowed in Edmonton, but will break through that and show what he has this season now that he is used to the NA game.

PChan121

Jul 6, 2011
In a house!!!
If i remember correctly, didn't PRV play as a defenseman until a couple years ago? and last season was his first season in NA, give him soem time to adjust to the more physical side of the game, and the smaller rank. it should be a very nice year this year.

YEGJuniorFan

Dec 3, 2009
Edmonton
I think Turris has the higher ceiling than Paajarvi but I think Paajarvi gets underrated by alot of ppl on these boards. He improved down the stretch and showed a good scoring ability, as the oilers were hit with injuries he stepped up and played well in our top 6. Magnus is fast as hell and hard to knock off the puck when he gets going. I think he will top out as a 70point player in his prime.

Edmontonoil

Nov 7, 2009
Edmonton
I'm an Oilers fan and I honestly do not see what everyone else must see in Paajarvi. He's obviously one of the fastest players in the league right now but he has a horrible shot and minimal hands. I guess maybe once he fills out his big frame and learns to shoot he could be something special.

Easily most uneducated opinion I have read! Totally wrong! Horrible shot? What the heck have you been watching?

duul

Jun 21, 2010
What does the fact it was a skills comp and a pre-season game have to do with anything? Is Paajarvi's skillset supposed to be much improved when he plays against bad players or no one defending him? No. That's a skill that doesn't just vanish when the games mean something. It's just proving he has a great shot and good hands. I really have no idea where that original comment even came from but it's not true at all.

Paajarvi's flaws are the fact he's extremely soft and seems to shy away from the physicality of the game. He's a little inconsistent as well, but in a rookie year I'm not complaining right now. He's a 6'3 200 ilb winger who can flat out fly and he was one of the Oilers best defensive forwards last year. Turris has much greater potential, however Paajarvi is a much more reliable and safer pick, IMO.

The fact that it's a skill comp has a lot to do with it. He's playing at the highest level in the world and you simply don't have the time to do that in a game. Did you see him stickhandle coming down at the start of the video? Not very good. If you watched him play often during regular situations you'd see his hands aren't very good at all.

As for the Tampa video, I remember watching that game and the snapshot that went low left on Ellis, the commentators were laughing at how it went in. That doesn't prove at all he has an amazing shot, that was simply the goalie messing up.

Half decent hands, half decent shot, amazing skater. When he gets stronger we might see his shot improve and he definitely has some potential, but I think you're the reason why a lot of people can't take us Oiler fans seriously when evaluating our players.

McIce Whole

Jan 7, 2008
Edmonton

Why make uneducated assumptions about Paajarvi when you very likely haven't seen him play half a dozen times? He isn't soft at all. He doesn't play physical but he isn't afraid of going into the corners.

Skip to the 25 second mark. Yup, hes real soft. :help: That's just a small sample. He doesn't play soft and once he fills out his frame along with his speed, he's going to make things happen.

Speed does matter if you have Paajarvi's size. Let me ask you this, how many NHL defenders would be able to keep up with Paajarvi or knock him off the puck if he was driving wide on them? The video of what he did to Bouwmeester is an example of that. JBO is one of the best skaters in the league and Paajarvi beat him to the puck and out muscled him on his way there. Do you know how many penalties he drew? More then any Oiler in the past few years. On top of that he is a very solid defensively and is always the first man back. Let him fill out his frame and he will be a solid contributor. If Hemsky stays healthy, I would love to see what him and Paajarvi could do together.

lakai17

Aug 10, 2006
Paajarvi reminds me of Sergei Fedorov going end to end with his skating ability.

DuklaNation

Aug 26, 2004
Turris is soft and weak. Paajarvi lacks stickhandling and needs to use his body more. Some critical flaws. Both have high risks associated with them. Id give Paajarvi an edge here but both may not ever realize their full potential (much like most prospects even though we dont want to admit it).

Ogopogo*

Two things: Turris hasn't done anything significant at the NHL level and, the last time he was dominant was in the BCHL. The freaking BCHL!!!! Hardly a league of stars.

When Turris looks good against guys who are not now working at 7-11 then maybe, we can get excited about the guy.

ponder

Jul 11, 2007
Vancouver
I wouldn't be TOO worried about MPS' hand and shot, both should come around, it's not like he has terrible hands or a terrible shot. These areas aren't strengths, but not killer weaknesses either, he doesn't look like a 4th liner out there. I'd be more worried about his strength on the puck and hockey IQ - he gets knocked off the puck EXTREMELY easily, probably among the weakest players on the puck in the entire league, and he doesn't seem great at moving to the open ice, not great at positioning himself without the puck and generally reading the defense, sort of an anti-Tavares/Heatley/Gretzky/Hull/etc. Always trying to beat guys wide with his speed, rarely makes the sneaky plays in tight.

As he bulks up his strength on the puck should improve, and as he gets more experienced he should hopefully get more sneaky, but IMO these are his two biggest weaknesses, and the two areas he'll have to improve the most if he wants to become a star in the NHL. I love his size and speed, and he shows flashes of nice potential with the puck, I definitely like his upside but he has a long way to go to reach it, his game was very raw last season, even for a rookie.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad