Turris Vs Pajaarvi

Psychoil

Mar 10, 2011
i hoonestly though kyle turris was going to be a special player in the nhl when he was drafted...but he hasnt doesnt much, PRV has been much more noticeable so imma go with my boy Maggy

Eriktion

Nov 28, 2010
Edmonton
I'm a huge Oilers fan and I would never trade MPS for Turris straight up, however with that being said, watching PHX in the playoffs last year you could just tell that Turris was a special player. In the playoffs he was one of the top Coyotes forwards, playing against a very tough Red Wings squad. I'd look for him to have a huge breakout season this year and live up to his draft pedigree.

duul

Jun 21, 2010
I'm an Oilers fan and I honestly do not see what everyone else must see in Paajarvi. He's obviously one of the fastest players in the league right now but he has a horrible shot and minimal hands. I guess maybe once he fills out his big frame and learns to shoot he could be something special.

Alberta Yote

Owns the Yotes
Dec 31, 2004
In your kitchen
And as a Coyotes' fan I wouldn't trade Turris straight up for MPS. It's natural to want to see the guys your team drafted and are developing turn into the better players.

Lay Z Boy GM

Sep 8, 2010
Vancouver
Maybe someone that isn't a Coyotes fan or an Oilers fan should respond. :laugh:

Honestly, even though I'm an Oilers fan and a fan of Pajaarvi, I think I would take Turris. In my mind Turris is more likely to dictate the pace of a game that Pajaarvi. I see more high-end skill in Turris than Pajaarvi. Maybe someday Pajaarvi will be a great 2-way player and score 30 goals, maybe. But maybe Turris just needs some actual minutes in the NHL to find his groove and he'll end up being a 70+ point player.

R S

Sep 18, 2006
Depends on the team situation....but if you are asking which of the two players I'd rather take on MY team...I take Turris.

WADEugottaBELAKthat

Nikishin turning heads.
Nov 21, 2003
CSKA MoskWTF?
Paajarvi has all the tools to be a perpetual top-10 PPG guy in the NHL. Except for the hockey sense that is. He has to learn how to play in-tight and in the corners.

If he learns that, its Paajarvi for sure.

If not, give me Turris. His role will increase alot this year.

member 30781

Maybe someone that isn't a Coyotes fan or an Oilers fan should respond. :laugh:

Honestly, even though I'm an Oilers fan and a fan of Pajaarvi, I think I would take Turris. In my mind Turris is more likely to dictate the pace of a game that Pajaarvi. I see more high-end skill in Turris than Pajaarvi. Maybe someday Pajaarvi will be a great 2-way player and score 30 goals, maybe. But maybe Turris just needs some actual minutes in the NHL to find his groove and he'll end up being a 70+ point player.

Flyers fan taking Turris. He still has more potential than Pajaarvi does at this point. Certainly doesn't have the supporting cast that Magnus does with the Oilers but he will get a fair shot this year and I think it will be a breakthrough season for him. The type of season we have expected from him for a few years now.

Joey Moss

Aug 29, 2008
I'm an Oilers fan and I honestly do not see what everyone else must see in Paajarvi. He's obviously one of the fastest players in the league right now but he has a horrible shot and minimal hands. I guess maybe once he fills out his big frame and learns to shoot he could be something special.

Yea.. horrible shot and minimal hands.. :laugh:

:loony:

member 30781

First clip was during a skills competition where he had no one defending him.

Second clip was a pre-season game where he played against other rookies and the goalie was Dan Ellis. On the first shot he fanned on it and if it were any other goalie but Ellis, that shot would've been saved.

Lay Z Boy GM

Sep 8, 2010
Vancouver

Skills comp and preseason highlights? I'm a big fan of Pajaarvi but that's nothing for us to brag about. I'll even go as far as saying 2 of those 3 goals in the 2nd video were kinda lucky. He fanned on the shot for the first goal, wicked slapshot for the 2nd goal, and the 3rd goal simply should not have gone in. Besides, it's not hard to find sick goals by Turris either.

I think Pajaarvi is a good player and my only real knock on him is that he doesn't have great skill. Maybe I just haven't seen him enough or maybe he just doesn't want to play too flashy quite yet.

victor

Sep 6, 2003
Personally, I'd take Paajarvi.

Looking at the stats, and taking into consideration that Turris is over a year and a half older:
131gp 19g 27a 46pts -20 39pim
80gp 15g 19a 34pts -13 16pim

Looking at their regular season game log, Phoenix appears to have shortened the bench, starting on March 13th. Turris' time and performance drop off dramatically then - 2 points in 11 games, both assists. He followed that up with a great playoffs, with 3 points in 4 games, 1 goal and 2 assists.

Paajarvi's play improved throughout the season (his first in North America,) and his time on ice steadily increased (due to injuries to Hall and others) He took advantage of the time, with 7 points in his last 11 games, 4 goals and 3 assists. He followed this up with an exceptional World Championship for Sweden, tied for 20th overall in points, 2nd on team Sweden, with 2 goals and 7 points in 9 games (and a player of the game for Sweden in the Gold medal game.)

I think that coaching will be the difference between these players, and looking at the stats in Phoenix, I can't help but wonder if Turris would be better off on another team. Paajarvi will get sheltered minutes behind Hall, and provided they stay healthy, both could see big increases in stats this year. It'll be interesting to compare Turris and Paajarvi's stats at similar ages.

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
Paajarvi's passing ability is so underrated.

He's isn't just some powerforward with an average shot.

Just wait until he isn't passing to guys who couldn't score to save their lives(Cogliano, Gagner, Omark).

hockeygeek

Apr 28, 2010
Turris. Aside from Paajarvi's speed I'm not overly impressed with his game but maybe my expectations were to high from all the hype. It'll be interesting to see who has the better year

HumanCheatCode

Jan 15, 2010
Edmonton
Maybe someone that isn't a Coyotes fan or an Oilers fan should respond. :laugh:.

Not sure how many Phoenix and Edmonton games anyone would watch if they were not a fan of the team. It always makes me laugh when non-Oilers fans critique the young guys on our team. Are these people really tuning in to watch a last place team? I watched all 82 last year and it was painful at times :cry:

I'm taking PRV but think it's a wash and each team should stick to the home grown talent

J17 Vs Proclamation

Oct 29, 2004
Reading.
Im taking Pajaarvi. Turris has better hockey sense, but everything else right now indicates towards Pajaarvi here IMO.

He's 2 seasons younger, which is big here. Comparing what Turris has achieved in the NHL and what Pajaarvi has achieved so far in the NHL is a little unfair because of their differences in age. Pajaarvi had a solid rookie showing whilst adjusting to the NA game. Sure it wasn't spectacular, but he's transition to NHL player seems to be going alot smoother than Turris's has.

Pajaarvi has solid passing skills, a very good shot, effortless skater and the frame and the ability one day to excel at both ends of the rinks. It really is a little Hossa-lite. He's basically a shoe-in to be a 60 point two way Forward.

Lay Z Boy GM

Sep 8, 2010
Vancouver
Not sure how many Phoenix and Edmonton games anyone would watch if they were not a fan of the team. It always makes me laugh when non-Oilers fans critique the young guys on our team. Are these people really tuning in to watch a last place team? I watched all 82 last year and it was painful at times :cry:

I'm taking PRV but think it's a wash and each team should stick to the home grown talent

The reason I said that is because everyone that posted ahead of me was either a Coyotes fan or an Oilers fan and chose their player. Didn't exactly seem objective to me.

There's a lot of hockey fans that watch other teams play. I see at least 10 games a year without the Oilers in it, I used to watch a lot more.

member 30781

Ahhhhh yes. The great Alexei Mikhnov. Always held out hope for him to make it big. Unfortunately, poor eyesight and the Russia/NHL transfer agreement held him back from making any sort of impact in the NHL.

Joey Moss

Aug 29, 2008
First clip was during a skills competition where he had no one defending him.

Second clip was a pre-season game where he played against other rookies and the goalie was Dan Ellis. On the first shot he fanned on it and if it were any other goalie but Ellis, that shot would've been saved.

Skills comp and preseason highlights? I'm a big fan of Pajaarvi but that's nothing for us to brag about. I'll even go as far as saying 2 of those 3 goals in the 2nd video were kinda lucky. He fanned on the shot for the first goal, wicked slapshot for the 2nd goal, and the 3rd goal simply should not have gone in. Besides, it's not hard to find sick goals by Turris either.

I think Pajaarvi is a good player and my only real knock on him is that he doesn't have great skill. Maybe I just haven't seen him enough or maybe he just doesn't want to play too flashy quite yet.

What does the fact it was a skills comp and a pre-season game have to do with anything? Is Paajarvi's skillset supposed to be much improved when he plays against bad players or no one defending him? No. That's a skill that doesn't just vanish when the games mean something. It's just proving he has a great shot and good hands. I really have no idea where that original comment even came from but it's not true at all.

Paajarvi's flaws are the fact he's extremely soft and seems to shy away from the physicality of the game. He's a little inconsistent as well, but in a rookie year I'm not complaining right now. He's a 6'3 200 ilb winger who can flat out fly and he was one of the Oilers best defensive forwards last year. Turris has much greater potential, however Paajarvi is a much more reliable and safer pick, IMO.

member 30781

What does the fact it was a skills comp and a pre-season game have to do with anything? Is Paajarvi's skillset supposed to be much improved when he plays against bad players or no one defending him? No. That's a skill that doesn't just vanish when the games mean something. It's just proving he has a great shot and good hands. I really have no idea where that original comment even came from but it's not true at all.

Paajarvi's flaws are the fact he's extremely soft and seems to shy away from the physicality of the game. He's a little inconsistent as well, but in a rookie year I'm not complaining right now. He's a 6'3 200 ilb winger who can flat out fly and he was one of the Oilers best defensive forwards last year. Turris has much greater potential, however Paajarvi is a much more reliable and safer pick, IMO.

If Pajaarvi tried to do any of those moves in the shootout in an NHL game he'd get his ass leveled on the ice. Tomas Jurco has some pretty sick hands and skills too. Bet you he wouldn't pull any of the moves he does on Youtube in an actual game.

And Pajaarvi's skillset SHOULD be drastically improved when no one is defending him. What kind of ridiculous comment is that saying that it wouldn't. Watch Pajaarvi in the shootout, then place Zdeno Chara in front of him and see what moves he can "dazzle" you with.

Joey Moss

Aug 29, 2008
If Pajaarvi tried to do any of those moves in the shootout in an NHL game he'd get his ass leveled on the ice. Tomas Jurco has some pretty sick hands and skills too. Bet you he wouldn't pull any of the moves he does on Youtube in an actual game.

And Pajaarvi's skillset SHOULD be drastically improved when no one is defending him. What kind of ridiculous comment is that saying that it wouldn't. Watch Pajaarvi in the shootout, then place Zdeno Chara in front of him and see what moves he can "dazzle" you with.

:laugh:

If Paajarvi didn't have good hands would he be able to pull that **** off in the first place? That's the point.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad