Blue Jays Discussion: Turn out the lights, the season's over.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Discoverer

Apr 11, 2012
JP was directionless because ownership was directionless. They brought him in to cut costs and create a decent team with a $50M payroll (which he did) and then all of the sudden they gave him a whack of money and told him he had to spend it all by the end of 2007. The end result of the same type of team with a bunch of mediocre (and one good) FA contracts plopped on top wasn't a surprise.

That's... pretty much exactly what happened under Anthopoulos, too. He just did a much, much better job of spending the money.

theaub

34-38-61-10-13-15
Nov 21, 2008
Toronto
That's... pretty much exactly what happened under Anthopoulos, too. He just did a much, much better job of spending the money.

Let this maybe be the dumbest hill I'll die on in these topics, but did he? AA had a ton of money to spend, the Yankees/Red Sox being down and it still took a Dombrowski-like tear down of the farm system (plus some positive regression of course) to make the playoffs.

JP had to deal with near-peak Yankees/Red Sox and then also peak Rays at the end of his money spending time.

thehockeysong

Nov 1, 2009
JP was directionless because ownership was directionless. They brought him in to cut costs and create a decent team with a $50M payroll (which he did) and then all of the sudden they gave him a whack of money and told him he had to spend it all by the end of 2007. The end result of the same type of team with a bunch of mediocre (and one good) FA contracts plopped on top wasn't a surprise.

I'd say you've got it right. Of all his faults, the direction of the team seemed to be one out of his control.

Discoverer

Apr 11, 2012
Let this maybe be the dumbest hill I'll die on in these topics, but did he? AA had a ton of money to spend, the Yankees/Red Sox being down and it still took a Dombrowski-like tear down of the farm system (plus some positive regression of course) to make the playoffs.

JP had to deal with near-peak Yankees/Red Sox and then also peak Rays at the end of his money spending time.

You could argue that for sure, and, oddly enough, AA didn't make the team good by spending money, considering most of the money he spent in the huge payroll increase went to Buehrle, Reyes, and Dickey.

My argument is just that I think ownership's direction was pretty much the same under the two GMs: you get a few years to build up the team however you want with a significantly reduced payroll, then a couple years to spend a bunch of money to try to compete. It seems like they're heading the same direction with this group, except they held off on the payroll reduction because they wanted to push for the playoffs again.

I just think it's a pretty clear cyclical thing for ownership that's been pretty much the same for 15 years.

phillipmike

Oct 27, 2009
Galvis’ first 50 PAs with the Reds: 182 wRC+

Galvis’ last 46 PAs with the Reds: -67 wRC+

phillipmike

Oct 27, 2009
Yeah, I want to see what Shapiro is building

As do I, the hitting is here with more coming. His M.O. is finding pitching from no where so we have that and some great arms coming too.

No money committed long term but Grichuk and Gurriel. This is a recipe for a good, young cheap team with a potential long term window.

He deserves to see it out unless he wants to leave. Just hope Atkins won’t get the promotion, would prefer Cherington for sure.

Suntouchable13

Dec 20, 2003
Toronto, ON
I think starters going shorter and shorter into the game, has not made the game better at all. The parade out of the bullpen is really tedious. I hope we see the trend back to work horses starting pitchers again soon. I'd like to see guys go 200 IP+. I'd love to see the complete game come back as well.

theaub

34-38-61-10-13-15
Nov 21, 2008
Toronto
I think starters going shorter and shorter into the game, has not made the game better at all. The parade out of the bullpen is really tedious. I hope we see the trend back to work horses starting pitchers again soon. I'd like to see guys go 200 IP+. I'd love to see the complete game come back as well.

Just make games 7 innings and be done with it

Fixes pace of play issues too.

Kurtz

Jul 17, 2005

They're going to the reliever must face 3 batters rule next season, so that should reduce the bullpen tedium. Not sure if CG will come back though, not until they have medical breakthroughs in regards to pitcher arm injuries. Might also depend on the experiment mlb running right now, I think, still testing a hypothesis that reduced innings strongly correlate with less injuries.

Reactions: Discoverer

phillipmike

Oct 27, 2009
Houston beats the A’s 15-0 last night. A’s are beating the Astros 17-2. This has to be the biggest swing in scores on back to back nights in a series.

Miley got 1 out in the 1st but gave up 7 before being pulled.

Edit: 19-2

Biagini becomes the first relief pitcher in Astros history to give up 6 runs without getting an out.

ERA bordering 8, 6 k/9 and 4bb/9

Last edited:

Rude Dog

Dec 22, 2008
I know how much Simmons is loved here, but he wrote an interesting column on how Shatkins had to be convinced by scouts to take Bichette. They wanted no part in drafting high school position players. Jays scouts wanted him bad. Shatkins refused to use their second round pick on him. By the way that pick is no longer playing baseball. They held their breath hoping he would last into the third round. Oh and Shatkins fired the main scout responsible two months later. I will admit I am biased as hell. I can’t stand these two.

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010
Interesting that the Jays refused to use a 2nd round pick on a guy they drafted in the 2nd round.

For a team that wants no part in drafting high school potion players it is also strange they picked a high school position player 12th overall in 2018. It's too bad said scouts were apparently fired so you couldn't credit that decision on them instead of Shapiro/Atkins as well. As if Shapiro is the guy making these selections anyway.

Reactions: phillipmike

stickty111

Jan 23, 2017
I know how much Simmons is loved here, but he wrote an interesting column on how Shatkins had to be convinced by scouts to take Bichette. They wanted no part in drafting high school position players. Jays scouts wanted him bad. Shatkins refused to use their second round pick on him. By the way that pick is no longer playing baseball. They held their breath hoping he would last into the third round. Oh and Shatkins fired the main scout responsible two months later. I will admit I am biased as hell. I can’t stand these two.
The main scout who got fired had terrible drafting. Bichette was pretty much the only player who worked out. Since he was let go, Jays drafting has improved and they should get credit for that.
Also if you followed the Jays, you would see Shapiro is fine. Atkins is the real problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad