Blue Jays Discussion: Turn out the lights, the season's over.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Discoverer

Apr 11, 2012
Jansen has yet to play 162 games yet in the majors. I expected better from his bat but its still early.

In his first 133 MLB games = 2.3 fWAR and 79 wRC+

Prorate that to 162 games and thats a 2.8 fWAR rookie catcher making the league minimum under control for 5 more years.

Jays have had 10 career catchers with a CUMULATIVE 2.4 fWAR or more in their career as Jays. Cumulative. Jansen is already 11th in franchise history in fWAR in his first 133 games.

Toronto Blue Jays Leaderboards » 2019 » Catchers » Dashboard | FanGraphs Baseball

If Jansen actually produced 2.8 fWAR in a season it would be tied for the 8th best season from a Jays career in franchise history. Only behind Martin, Whitt and Borders.

Toronto Blue Jays Leaderboards » 2019 » Catchers » Dashboard | FanGraphs Baseball

I like where is career might go from here.

Doesnt hurt that you have McGuire who put up 0.8 fWAR in 21 games vs Jansen's 0.8 fWAR in 30 games in 2018. Very small sample size but its nice to finally have depth at the catcher position.

Yeah, Jansen is still going to be a star.

TheImpatientPanther

Jan 17, 2013
Ontario, Canada
Anyone know what is the contract status of Devon Travis? I am just wondering is he going to be a free agent this winter or team still controls him? I am guessing if he is still under team control that they will DFA him in the winter. No way they put him on the 40 man roster.

They control him and can have him next season if they tender him a contract. They likely non tender him and he becomes a free agent.

Please let us move on from Devon Travis.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC

They just refuse to give him a chance.

Unfortunately, like every management team ever, they're going to prioritize making the guys they brought in look good, so we'll continue to see lots and lots of bad ABs from Fisher and McKinney. And Teoscar.

Morgs

#16 #34 #44 #88 #91
Jul 12, 2015
London, ON
Unfortunately, like every management team ever, they're going to prioritize making the guys they brought in look good, so we'll continue to see lots and lots of bad ABs from Fisher and McKinney. And Teoscar.

I'm not ready to give up on Fisher and Teo yet. McKinney to me is meh. He and Davis shouldn't be taking ABs from a guy who was a top-prospect as recently as last season and had a good season minus April. There's still legit upside there in a healthy Alford.

Reactions: canucksfan

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
I'm not ready to give up on Fisher and Teo yet. McKinney to me is meh. He and Davis shouldn't be taking ABs from a guy who was a top-prospect as recently as last season and had a good season minus April. There's still legit upside there in a healthy Alford.

I don't disagree except I've kinda seen enough from Fisher at this point.

But this isn't the first team and won't be the last to prioritize 'their guys' and making them look good.

Mach85

Mar 14, 2013

But this isn't the first team and won't be the last to prioritize 'their guys' and making them look good.
I think it's just more that they like the guys they brought in better and those guys may have different attributes than holdovers. If you look for certain tools and actively trade for them, you're going to give those guys more opportunities because you think they have a better chance of popping (right or wrongly). They won't not play someone just because they're afraid he'll make them look bad because he's a holdover. The goal is to win, and winning makes you look good. No matter who's contributing.

canucksfan

Mar 16, 2002
British Columbia
Visit site

While this is true, they are giving chances to Davis and Davis is at best has potential to be a fourth outfielder.

Reactions: Morgs

Discoverer

Apr 11, 2012

They obviously love Vlad. They've given Rowdy and Jansen every opportunity. They kept calling up Urena the last couple years for some reason. Davis has been getting opportunities. They accelerated Borucki through the minors and have been extremely patient with Reid-Foley.

Meanwhile, they cut Morales, waived Galvis, and just released Richard.

I don't think this is about "our guys" vs. "not our guys" or trying to prove themselves right. It's about giving chances to the guys they like the most.

canucksfan

Mar 16, 2002
British Columbia
Visit site
Since Keith Law declared Biggio "not worth a roster spot" (Aug 28)

11 hits, 11 walks + 1HBP, 3 1B, 4 2B, 1 3B, 3 HR in 36 AB/49PA + 2 SB

.305 BA, .469 OBA, .722 Slg, OPS 1.191

Just by my eye test his defense looks fairly decent now too although I haven't been watching all of the games recently.

FanGraphs had a very good article on him about a month ago saying he rarely chases, hits the ball very good and is getting unlucky,

Talks to Goalposts

Apr 8, 2011
Edmonton
Just by my eye test his defense looks fairly decent now too although I haven't been watching all of the games recently.

FanGraphs had a very good article on him about a month ago saying he rarely chases, hits the ball very good and is getting unlucky,

His defense numbers at 2B are decent-ish, its his OF numbers that drag his defensive value down.

Overall he looks like an average to above average bat-first 2B.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad