Blue Jays Discussion: Turn out the lights, the season's over.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Marshy

Behind Enemy Lines
Oct 3, 2007
Ottawa
Going to the game on Saturday the 14th vs. the Yanks. Will be my first and only game I make it to this year (live in Ottawa).

Normally it would be easy to tell who is starting for the Jays but with Font opening what seems like every 3rd game (not counting days off) it's hard to know for sure. Best I can tell it will be either an opener game or Waguespack. Anyone have a best guess?

weems

Jul 3, 2008
It looks like we're basically locked into drafting at #5

This will be the highest we've selected since 1997 (Vernon Wells).

Safe to say this is a really big selection for the front office.

Anyone have thoughts on Asa Lacy?

Petes

Jun 23, 2014
It looks like we're basically locked into drafting at #5

This will be the highest we've selected since 1997 (Vernon Wells).

Safe to say this is a really big selection for the front office.

Anyone have thoughts on Asa Lacy?

I feel like the Royals will pass us based on the tough schedule we have to finish the year. They have 51 wins right now and Jays sitting at 55.

Reactions: weems

thehockeysong

Nov 1, 2009
I feel like the Royals will pass us based on the tough schedule we have to finish the year. They have 51 wins right now and Jays sitting at 55.

Unfortunately KC has an absolute murderer's row to end their year too. Tons of Twins to go with some Astros and A's.

Their series against the Marlins comes up next and those teams are the two below is. That one could be a hint at where we end up.

Edit: it's worth noting that the Marlins don't have as bad of a schedule coming up. They're 5 games off our pace right now. The more concerning piece is run differential - which hints at some teams above us having a chance to fall.

IceColdBear

Apr 5, 2016
Unfortunately KC has an absolute murderer's row to end their year too. Tons of Twins to go with some Astros and A's.

Their series against the Marlins comes up next and those teams are the two below is. That one could be a hint at where we end up.

Edit: it's worth noting that the Marlins don't have as bad of a schedule coming up. They're 5 games off our pace right now. The more concerning piece is run differential - which hints at some teams above us having a chance to fall.

Yes, the Jays have been fairly "lucky" when it comes to run differential vs record in terms of the tank.

We have the 9th worst run differential, but are in 5th last in the standings.

The good news is we only have 22 games remaining, so there isn't much time for a big swing in the standings (although if some teams go on a losing tear like the Rockies have been on, we could slip a spot or two in draft position).

I'm not sure if there are any real tiers to the draft next year where we want to be above a certain pick to get a real stud, but we should have a high selection regardless.

There is something psychologically pleasing about having a "Top 5 Pick", though.

Last edited:
Reactions: KapG

hoc123

Feb 23, 2014
Yes, the Jays have been fairly "lucky" when it comes to run differential vs record in terms of the tank.

We have the 9th worst run differential, but are in 5th last in the standings.

The good news is we only have 22 games remaining, so there isn't much time for a big swing in the standings (although if some teams go on a losing tear like the Rockies have been on, we could slip a spot or two in draft position).

I'm not sure if there are any real tiers to the draft next year where we want to be above a certain pick to get a real stud, but we should have a high selection regardless.

There is something psychologically pleasing about having a "Top 5 Pick", though.

Yeah, for now at least, the big advantage about a top 5 pick is the slot money you get. The difference last year between the Tigers, who picked fifth, and the Reds, who picked seventh, was nearly one million dollars.

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC
Youtube pregame features Harold Reynolds.

:facepalm:

in the span of about 45 seconds he calls Biggio "Gavin" and then calls Vlad Sr. "The worst bad-ball hitter ever." And then gives a weird drunken ramble about what a "gamer" is.

All that was missing was a whistle.

EDIT: There it was. Whistle in the Phils/Reds highlight pack.

DFF

Feb 28, 2002
Is anyone still up set what we got in return for making Sanchez someone else's problem?

No it was a garbage for garbage deal but did get upset to see an ace turning into garbage in front of our eyes

Reactions: Boutette

phillipmike

Oct 27, 2009
Font likely to start Saturday and Kay will follow.

I guess im old fashion but i would like to see our starters (Zeuch and Kay) start the game for their debuts. I get most start out of the pen but if a starting prospect is going to pitch multiple innings then my preference is for them to start.

Im not losing sleep over it but it is just my preference.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Is anyone still up set what we got in return for making Sanchez someone else's problem?

Well, yes?

Because the team traded a guy who should have had a bit of value (even if it wasn't much), a competent relief pitcher, and a decent prospect for a completely useless 26 y/o bum. Three ok assets for one worthless one.

thehockeysong

Nov 1, 2009
Well, yes?

Because the team traded a guy who should have had a bit of value (even if it wasn't much), a competent relief pitcher, and a decent prospect for a completely useless 26 y/o bum. Three ok assets for one worthless one.

OK vs worthless seems like a stretch. Sanchez is maybe not a baseball player.

Discoverer

Apr 11, 2012
Well, yes?

I didn't like the trade at all, but Sanchez and Biagini have both been roughly replacement-level pitchers the last couple years. If Fisher is a "completely useless bum", then so are they.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
I didn't like the trade at all, but Sanchez and Biagini have both been roughly replacement-level pitchers the last couple years. If Fisher is a "completely useless bum", then so are they.

Fisher is a guy who can't hit MLB pitching at age 26 and is a total adventure in the field.

Biagini is a competent relief pitcher whose numbers were skewed in 2017-18 when the team tried to convert him to a starter and it failed miserably. He's about a 1 WAR relief pitcher which is an OK asset.

Stevenson is a decent prospect.

Sanchez has struggled badly in recent years but should have still carried a bit of value due to his age and 2016 dominance.

After seeing Fisher for 5 weeks now, I wouldn't have traded any one of those three assets for him, much less all three. He's really not good. He's a poor man's Teoscar and Teoscar is *barely* an MLB player.

Anthrax442

Aug 4, 2008
Toronto
www.russianroulette.ca
Fisher is a guy who can't hit MLB pitching at age 26 and is a total adventure in the field.

Biagini is a competent relief pitcher whose numbers were skewed in 2017-18 when the team tried to convert him to a starter and it failed miserably. He's about a 1 WAR relief pitcher which is an OK asset.

Sanchez has struggled badly in recent years but should have still carried a bit of value due to his age and 2016 dominance.

After seeing Fisher for 5 weeks now, I wouldn't have traded any one of those three assets for him, much less all three. He's really not good. He's a poor man's Teoscar and Teoscar is *barely* an MLB player.

Who cares, they moved out some guys that were not coming back anyway for a chance to see if this guy is something. Cleared out some 40 man spots too.

TheBeastCoast

Mar 23, 2011
Dartmouth,NS

Garbage in garbage out.

Discoverer

Apr 11, 2012

A few days after the trade, Kevin Gausman was waived by Atlanta. Gausman has struggled less than Sanchez this year and has a significantly better track record the last few years... and his value was basically nothing.

Since he was permanently removed from the rotation, Biagini has a 4.50 ERA and a 4.92 FIP in 116 IP. He's improved this year to the point where he's on pace for about 0.3 fWAR.

I liked them both and really hoped they would figure it out, but it seems like your evaluation of them is based on a combination of what they used to be and what you want them to be. In reality, both of these guys were really good in 2016 and both of them have been awful for three years now.

(For the record, I also hated that Stevenson was thrown in. Given the trade as a whole, I would have been perfectly happy with it if a Stevenson-calibre prospect was coming back to the Jays instead, so that part bugged me more than anything. I think it was a bad trade, but you have to be unreasonably high on the Jays guys and unreasonably low on Fisher to analyze it the way you have.)

Reactions: Mach85

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Who cares, they moved out some guys that were not coming back anyway for a chance to see if this guy is something. Cleared out some 40 man spots too.

It's lousy asset management.

Especially the inclusion of Stevenson, who was a decent top-20 ish prospect for the team.

Also Biagini surely would have been back as a cheap reliever with team control.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad