Pre-Game Talk: Tuesday - Leafs @ Penguins - 7:00pm

Status
Not open for further replies.

stickty111

Jan 23, 2017
I am okay with Kerfoot on Tavares's line as they have been good, but I'm not sure what Keefe is thinking on the other moves.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
There is no system this team can play that will make them good defensively. They simply don't have the roster to be a great defensive team.

If you try and slow it down, you get what Babcock was doing early in the year. Destroy the offense for no real defensive gains.

The whole fanbase had tuned Babcock out, but the path of evolution he set for this group still needs to occur.

I said it then and I'll say it again. The way to success isn't buy having the new coach put together your favorite duos, ramp up star players ice time and snipe, dangle cely your way to happily ever after.

stickty111

Jan 23, 2017
Now that I think about, there is no way Gauthier is getting 3rd line minutes no matter what the lineup says, but the Marincin one makes 0 sense.

Tlo1

Nov 6, 2017
Lol so Korshkov scores a goal and gets scratched and instead of putting the guy we acquired to be 3C at 3C we're running with Freddy ****ing Gauthier? Marincin is just the cherry on top, this is a joke
I refuse to believe the Goat is going in over Korshkov! That'd be a total Babcock move!

ShaneFalco

Jul 15, 2012
London, On
Now that I think about, there is no way Gauthier is getting 3rd line minutes no matter what the lineup says, but the Marincin one makes 0 sense.

Yeah I'm thinking so too. May start the game there and that's about it. Marincin - maybe just a rest on a back-to-back for Lilly? :huh:

stickty111

Jan 23, 2017
Marincin back in? Freddie's starting?

Pick the Pens and the Over, guaranteed money to be made
Lilly better have the flu or something otherwise not good on Keefe.
I'm a fan of him but I will call him out on stuff when required.

Coachcorner

Senor Martinez
Sep 28, 2017
If th
I hope these lineup changes are indicative of a potential trade brewing and showcasing guys on the bubble. Otherwise, I don't understand how Liljegren or Korshkov deserve to be benched.
ey win, then y'all undersdand sire. Because keefe knows we should play with the smartest experienced players against the tough team like penguins. So if we win, y'all see the hockey we gon play with our smartest fools against these foolious.

1specter

Sep 27, 2016

His lineups have been rather strange last couple of weeks.

I like Keefe but I agree that he's handled the third line kinda poorly. I've lost track of who is 3C anymore..it was supposed to be Kerfoot but he's barely played there, and we've seen Engvall, Spezza and now Gauthier apparently all doing their reps there. Then on the winger side it's basically Kapanen and a revolving door. Not sure how you can expect a line like that to build chemistry if you keep changing the combinations every single game.

Reactions: stickty111

stickty111

Jan 23, 2017
Yeah I'm thinking so too. May start the game there and that's about it. Marincin - maybe just a rest on a back-to-back for Lilly? :huh:
Could be to protect Lilly since he won't get last change, but I don't think that makes up for Marincin.

tmlfan98

No More Excuses #MarnerOut
Aug 13, 2012
Hockey's Mecca
Why is Marincin playing over Liljegren?

Why is Goat playing 3C over Spezza? And adding to this question, why is Keefe unwilling to move Kerfoot back to 3C?

I would honestly try

Hyman-Matthews-Marner
Nylander-Tavares-Korshkov
Engvall-Kerfoot-Kapanen
Clifford-Spezza-Timashov

For the D pairs just sit Marincin back in the press box for Tim

egd27

Donec nunc annum
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2011
GTA
You shouldn't point out the success and hype they generated 2-3 years ago, you'll get called a Keefe/Dubas hater and Babcock/Lou worshipper by default.
Yea, I’ve noticed that. I was offered a life sized poster of Babcock for suggesting last years January swoon may not have been all on coaching. :biglaugh:

TMLeafer

Rest in Peace Johnny Bower
Mar 23, 2008
Hockey Mecca, ON
Marty Marincin to the rescue. This might just be because we don't have enough PK capable dmen with Rielly and Ceci out (as mentioned on 590). They might not want Sandin and Lilly out there and Dermott/Barrie can't play D 5on5, let alone PK.

But yeah id go with 7 dmen in that case.

paulhiggins

Feb 4, 2006
Can only hope Marincin is getting in tonight because he'll be traded tomorrow. Probably wishful thinking though.

It might be the other way around with a deal in place for Lilly and not wanting him to get injured last minute.

Reactions: bax

stickty111

Jan 23, 2017
I like Keefe but I agree that he's handled the third line kinda poorly. I've lost track of who is 3C anymore..it was supposed to be Kerfoot but he's barely played there, and we've seen Engvall, Spezza and now Gauthier apparently all doing their reps there. Then on the winger side it's basically Kapanen and a revolving door. Not sure how you can expect a line like that to build chemistry if you keep changing the combinations every single game.
The hesitance to remove Kerfoot from the Tavares line I get, but I mean pretty simple 3rd line you have.
Engvall-Spezza-Kapanen.

Guided by Veseys

Nov 14, 2011
Being on the road in Pitts would mean Liljegren would have Crosby or Malkin put on against him every single time he is on the ice. Guess Keefe is playing it safe and hoping Marincin puts in one of his rare decent showings.
I can understand the reasoning but if it backfires then unleash the hounds!

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Starting to get the feeling Liljegren isnt liked in the organization

It's weird. Liljegren was terrible on the 5th Sabres goal when he kind of drifted behind the net to receive the pass behind the net that never came and then got mixed up, but Sandin was equally high profile terrible on the 4th Sabres goal vs Okposo when he and dumb Kerfoot got mixed up.

One guy is sent to the press box and the other is still the golden child. Weird.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
This is a critical 5 game span ahead for the Leafs.

Pitts, Pitts, Car, TB, and the Florida.

This could be make or break playoff stretch depending on the outcome of these games.

You would have to think a split in the 1st X 4 games and then a win against the Panthers would be the floor.

Pittsburgh is 12-2-1 in their last 15 and so these games beginning against the Pens will not be easy .. TB has won 11 straight games and its the 2nd time they've won 10 games in a row so its not going to get any better after these Pens games.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad