Pre-Game Talk: Tuesday - Leafs @ Penguins - 7:00pm

Status
Not open for further replies.

Old and Tired

Mar 11, 2019
Click to expand...​
That's great for them but really who was surprised Tampa would turn it on? They always do. They love the regular season. They'll beat the wildcard team this year but will be out in the second round.

Every year we see people going all gaga over Tampa. I'm over them. When they do it in playoffs I'll give them their respect.

Key to their success has been Vasi which comes as no surprise. When your goalie can give you chances to win you games then the team looks that much better.

Insert Toronto where it says Tampa in the above quote.

Reactions: JT AM da real deal

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
The silver lining is it happened on his final elc year. If he was spectacular this year, the leafs probably couldn’t even afford him. Now we’ll get him at a bargain and hope this year was an anomaly.

I'm wondering whether Dermott becomes a trade piece if we resign Muzzin. Package him with forward and/or prospect to get a solid RHD.

Merrrlin

Grab the 9 iron, Barry!
Jul 2, 2019
I'm wondering whether Dermott becomes a trade piece if we resign Muzzin. Package him with forward and/or prospect to get a solid RHD.

I can't see how we keep him unless he permanently moves to RD. He's very clearly already our 4th best LD.

Reactions: ToneDog

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
I would not do that move with a very young defense who can skate, shoot and has a nasty side. He has looked much worse with Barrie past few weeks which every young defender does. People will start to go south on Sandin playing with Barrie too. Basically you are playing defense by yourself. Barrie must be sheltered on 3rd pair with a veteran stay at home guy and play PP.
We have 3 very promising young defenders and we need to give them a few years to learn the ropes. It is very hard to get 3 guys like this and we have it. We need to pair each of them with a veteran solid defender.

Rielly Lily
Muzzy Holl
Sandin Dermy
XXX YYY (2 more depth vet defenders needed)

Unfortunately we got Rielly hurt so we likely keep Barrie past TDL because we need to make playoffs given we lost our 1st rounder next year. Also the kids need playoff experience which is much different than regular season hockey.

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
I can't see how we keep him unless he permanently moves to RD. He's very clearly already our 4th best LD.
No one has a clue what he will be at this stage. He may become a Norris winner who knows. He has the tool kit. He is learning. It takes 50o games to figure it out.

CabanaBoy5

Feb 17, 2013
Woodbridge
Clifford has 15 hits and a fight in his 6 games with us, wtf do you expect. He's adjusting to a new team that's been slumping, and sick, while adapting to a smaller roll in a new system.
Those are the least noticeable and impactful 15 hits Ive seen. Honestly, I think he could fill a need, but he has to make himself more visible, fight notwithstanding.

DarkKnight

Professional Amateur
Jan 17, 2017
Pierre McGwire made an interesting comment on the Lightning. Said the coach won his players the day he benched Kutcherov in December. Since then they have lost 4 games. I remember that because Keefe benched Nylander and Kapanen around the same time and we discussed how the players would respond. The players responded but the Leafs as a team did not respond as well as the Lightning.
Didn’t know that.

DarkKnight

Professional Amateur
Jan 17, 2017
TB went 10-0-0 from Dec 23 - Jan 11 (all wins in regulation) then went 2-2-1 in their next 5 before rattling off a 11-0-0 stretch.

Only 3 team in NHL history to have 2 X 10 game winning streaks in the same season and TB did essentially 5 games apart.

Pens are 23-5-2 in last 30 games which isn't much different than 24-4-2 of the Lightning during their last 30 games.

Essentially 3 of our next 4 games against the hottest teams in the NHL.

Be interesting if Leafs rise to the level of their competition or if they get blown away playing the way they currently are. These might the worst possible opponents for the Leafs to face right now having lost 10 of their last 20 games.

This being Leafs defense tasked to stop that..

Muzzin-Holl
Sandin-Barrie
Marincin-Dermott
Really is a remarkable run.

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
I would not do that move with a very young defense who can skate, shoot and has a nasty side. He has looked much worse with Barrie past few weeks which every young defender does. People will start to go south on Sandin playing with Barrie too. Basically you are playing defense by yourself. Barrie must be sheltered on 3rd pair with a veteran stay at home guy and play PP.
We have 3 very promising young defenders and we need to give them a few years to learn the ropes. It is very hard to get 3 guys like this and we have it. We need to pair each of them with a veteran solid defender.

Rielly Lily
Muzzy Holl
Sandin Dermy
XXX YYY (2 more depth vet defenders needed)

Unfortunately we got Rielly hurt so we likely keep Barrie past TDL because we need to make playoffs given we lost our 1st rounder next year. Also the kids need playoff experience which is much different than regular season hockey.

They need a stud #1 RHD. That D is not going to win you a cup next year or possibly ever. I know how some people are high on Lily but I am not sold yet.

Merrrlin

Grab the 9 iron, Barry!
Jul 2, 2019
They need a stud #1 RHD. That D is not going to win you a cup next year or possibly ever. I know how some people are high on Lily but I am not sold yet.

He looks good for 20 but I don't see anything that screams 1RD either. Going to need to trade for or sign one, I think, if possible.

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
Maybe not, moreso probably not. But this is team building. You need a veteran defense timed up with our forwards. But we have a very young immature team right now. These are kids. You likely know how it is. Your kid has a huge game next day and there is a major scout coming to watch him and what does the monkey do he plays Fortnight with Mitch at 2 am and looks like crap when he needs to be ready to play. This is what we got a bunch of kids who got $$$ based on talent but do not really get life yet. And it is ok. They need time to learn how life works. But I have learned over the years most eventually get it. Not everyone but most do.

egd27

Donec nunc annum
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2011
GTA
Lily will probably be solid, but it’s gonna take at least 3-4 years.

DanM

Oct 2, 2017

Lily is 20?

He has played a handful of NHL games, and has looked good for most of the time. You know how he won't get better? sitting him out and putting in MM who is a f***ing tire fire useless plug.

I for sure have faith in him, but to each their own.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad