TSN Overdrive (and other Toronto Sports Media) 2018-19

Status
Not open for further replies.

Slot

Mar 6, 2012
We have a special Raptors team with a real deal honest to goodness super star.

It could be 30 degrees out and people should be drinking wine and flirting.

The Yankees or Red Sox could be in town.

What’s on sports radio? Hockey, hockey hockey.

Doesn’t anybody have enough?

Strange to be complaining about the hockey coverage on a hockey website.

TheBeastCoast

Mar 23, 2011
Dartmouth,NS
Marner has 93 points in the last 82 regular season games. He is going to get paid large
Kucherov had 100+ last season and signed under 10 and his deal takes up a lot more UFA years. There is nothing out there that suggests he should be making anything over 10 in any scenario.

Notsince67

Papi and the Lamplighters
Apr 27, 2018
Kucherov had 100+ last season and signed under 10 and his deal takes up a lot more UFA years. There is nothing out there that suggests he should be making anything over 10 in any scenario.
Except that Tampa has a tax advantage. Stamkos took 8.5 after a 10.5mm leafs offer. How does everyone forget this?

JEI

Jericho
Jun 7, 2004

I believe the 9.5 he signed in Tampa is equivalent to 12m if he signed in Toronto? Using the TSN Tavares calculator.

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
And why?
Because they have nothing to talk about- nothing newsworthy.
All Leafs all the time even with Kawahi freakin Lenard blocking a shot at Raptors rim and dunking at other end or with Yankees in town , all we get is Gee Whiz, gosh Matthews is good!

Nothing to talk about so they make stuff up and make fun of the eye candy on the radio. For clarity : they are completely unfair to Andi to fill air time and this becomes boring maybe even irritating radio

That’s not true at all. I have to scrub through Raptors talk all the time on the OverDrive podcast. I’ll watch the odd basketball game on TV and Ive been to few games at FedEx Forum but I don’t care enough about it to talk about it to listen to anyone talking about it either.

TheBeastCoast

Mar 23, 2011
Dartmouth,NS
Except that Tampa has a tax advantage. Stamkos took 8.5 after a 10.5mm leafs offer. How does everyone forget this?
Who says I forgot it? The tax difference is off set by the number of UFA years his deal is taking up. There is no comparable that puts Marner over 10 million a year. Period.

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
1000% man, he hides behind. "I just go a text from a nhl GM" and "League sources I talk to" far far too often. He really knows nothing and obviously has idiotic opinions that he feels he can lie and say a league source told him so. He is an arrogant piece of **** I don't like him at all/

Can you prove that he did t talk to an NHL executive. Prove he lied.

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto
Can you prove that he did t talk to an NHL executive. Prove he lied.

Can you prove that he did? And therefore isn’t lying?

Pretty easy game to play this one.

Proof? No I do t have dont concrete proof of course. Just circumstancial eveidence, isn’t it amazing how a random topic comes up unplaned in a show and Gord miller get a text in that topic right then? It happened all summer when he was in overdrive. I’m sorry there are not league management teams listening to his show pretty much daily all summer it’s just not feasible

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
Can you prove that he did? And therefore isn’t lying?

Pretty easy game to play this one.

Proof? No I do t have dont concrete proof of course. Just circumstancial eveidence, isn’t it amazing how a random topic comes up unplaned in a show and Gord miller get a text in that topic right then? It happened all summer when he was in overdrive. I’m sorry there are not league management teams listening to his show pretty much daily all summer it’s just not feasible

I didn’t accuse the man of lying. You did.

Notsince67

Apr 27, 2018
Who says I forgot it? The tax difference is off set by the number of UFA years his deal is taking up. There is no comparable that puts Marner over 10 million a year. Period.
Whatever you say. There is no comparable for nylander either then. Same as Eichel

Finnish your Czech

J'aime Les offres hostiles
Nov 25, 2009
Toronto
Boosterism, slaggism, and gee- whiz- ism needs to be broken up! I understand that a 590 journalist cant be on 1050. But between the Star, the Globe and the National Post/ Sun TSN Radio 1050 (which is far more Leafs -centric) surely a talking head- such as Steve Simmons, and others, can bring real insight and do know what is truly newsworthy. I can envision, for example, "So the Miami Heat broadcasters called me to talk about kawhi leonard. . .. Had a great chat with the Seattle Mariner beat writer".

Much better than, "Well, if Nylander plays on the third line, and if the third line scores more goals because of it, or a guy from the third line drops down to the forth line, then might not all those other players have their numbers go up, and so we will have to pay them more?" Let's spend all time from now until the next game filing the dead air with this theory and talking about this non story. No thanks!
I would rather listen to that then non-Leafs talk. And there's lots like me.

But I do hate Noodles, he brings absolutely nothing to the table. Count how many times he says "there's a lot of moving parts" when he's trying to play devil's advocate. I don't know if he is always disagreeing out of his own volition or if management is telling him to.

Reactions: BM14

WillNy29

Jun 20, 2018
Except take it from someone who's worked in accounting and tax...they don't really have as big an advantage as you people think...its bologne

WillNy29

Jun 20, 2018
I believe the 9.5 he signed in Tampa is equivalent to 12m if he signed in Toronto? Using the TSN Tavares calculator.
Tavares was already going to pay Canadian tax by way of sojourning and residency rules for owning a home here and training here in the summer.

Peasy

May 25, 2012
Star Shoppin
And Tavares took 11m while being offered 13m?

You know, sometimes the place where they're playing and the team comes into their decision making.

Notsince67

Apr 27, 2018
And Tavares took 11m while being offered 13m?

You know, sometimes the place where they're playing and the team comes into their decision making.
I would be happy to see Marner take less. Unfortunately once you pay a player 1MM more than his closest comparable, it elevates future contracts. Based on performance comparables it is difficult to not calibrate Marners salary upward 2 to 3 million above Nylander. A 100 pt season this year creates a 2 year comparison differential of 38.5%. That puts Marner at 9.5MM assuming a linear relationship of points to pay. Fact is that it isn't linear and Marner also penalty kills. 10mm is not out of the ballpark

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad