TSN Overdrive (and other Toronto Sports Media) 2018-19 (v2)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto
I did kind of like the latest 'The Leaf Report' podcast with Mirtle and Siegel. Some fair points about the trip and the current state of things. The road trip wasn't insanely good, but it was fine overall. And the blueline feels like a weird battle between Dubas and Babcock. Muzzin is brought in with the expectation that he's on the top pair. Whether he's willing to move over or Rielly moves over, you bump down Hainsey and all balances out better. But Hainsey is Babcock's prized good pro so he's our top pair RD (who still plays on his off side anyways). And we're just locked in with Rielly, Gardiner, Muzzin on the left side.

Sort of agree there may not be any moves the Leafs end up making. If you add a D without moving one that's just going to toss Dermott from the lineup.

A babcock vs Dubas rivalry ends one way, and it’s not with babcock reporting to a new gm. And nor should it, babs has been given tools and shown so far that he isn’t necessarily that great at using them. It’s time for babcock to perform in the playoffs, a lot of 1st round exits in his recent past and not just with the leafs

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County
Good Button attacks her all the time.

Button, while commenting on the Simmonds trade, was full-stop dying on this hill that the Preds gave up Ryan Hartman in this deal as if it was a major piece. The quote was something along the lines of "It's Ryan Hartman. He has 10 goals. He was a former 1st round pick" in the context that the Leafs didn't have anything that could compare.

That was face palm worthy.

Reactions: WilliamNylander

Budz22

Sep 18, 2018
The Overdeive crew had a lengthy discussion about famous musicians who have stage names and their real names. Brian Hayes ans Noodles literally said on air “Didn’t Eminem have an album called “The Real Marshall Mathers”.

Stick to sports.

tmlms13

Apr 11, 2012
Waterloo, Ontario
The Overdeive crew had a lengthy discussion about famous musicians who have stage names and their real names. Brian Hayes ans Noodles literally said on air “Didn’t Eminem have an album called “The Real Marshall Mathers”.

Stick to sports.

It was called "The Marshall Mathers LP" and as you pointed out they said it as a question.

What was more surprising is they didn't know there was a big budget Karate Kid remake with Jaden Smith and Jackie Chan

Reactions: Budz22

93WrapAround

Jul 4, 2018

Stick to sports.

This wasn't how it went down and you're making it sound much worse than it was. They simply said there was a long list of musicians who people only know by their stage name (eg. Prince, Bono, etc etc) and then said Eminem was an exception only because he put his name in the title of one of his albums. And they were asking it being openly unsure of the exact title or fact. What's the problem, they're 40+ with the exception of maybe Hayes

Reactions: OddyOh

93WrapAround

Jul 4, 2018
Man these networks need to get a clue about their personalities. George Rusic and Ashley have been filling in for Greg Brady (I assume - although I wish it were a permanent change) and I'll tell you that George Rusic is easily the best host/personality of both TSN/Sportsnet's morning shows. How this guy only has a weekend NFL gambling spot is beyond me. If he did the morning show on the Fan it would make my morning commute much more tolerable!

Anthrax442

Aug 4, 2008
Toronto
www.russianroulette.ca
Man these networks need to get a clue about their personalities. George Rusic and Ashley have been filling in for Greg Brady (I assume - although I wish it were a permanent change) and I'll tell you that George Rusic is easily the best host/personality of both TSN/Sportsnet's morning shows. How this guy only has a weekend NFL gambling spot is beyond me. If he did the morning show on the Fan it would make my morning commute much more tolerable!

Russic is a Habs fan and can KMA

Reactions: Erdinger

TheTotalPackage

Sep 14, 2006

Rusic was actually part of the morning show when they (Sportsnet) inexplicably gave Dean Blundell the morning spot. It was career suicide. I'm actually surprised he still maintained a job at the Fan given how bad the show was and just how bad he was on it. Through no fault of his own though. He had to play an out-of-character persona to fit into the type Blundell was, and it was horrible. Others (ie. Andrew Walker) steered clear of Blundell knowing what it could do to their career. For him though, he finally got a chance at a prime time slot and probably a hefty pay raise, so I get why he'd subject himself to it. But it was a horrible fit from day one.

I thought Rusic was one of their better personalities prior to the move. He just goes about his business and doesn't sound like a jerk (ie. Brady and many others). Having heard him fill in once in a while, he's gone back to that after shedding the Blundell stain. He's good. He just needs to rebuild himself again.

Reactions: Erdinger

LeafChief

Matthew Knies Enthusiast
Mar 5, 2013
Scarborough

This is perfect.

A guy eats cat shit and gets a job before Jeffler (who has literally dedicated his entire life to this). Just goes to show how blackballed Jeffler is in the media. His online personality is toxic and no one wants to hitch their wagon to a petulant clown always trying to white knight on the internet and getting into arguments for no evident reason.

God bless.

Reactions: Stand Witness

Budz22

Sep 18, 2018
This wasn't how it went down and you're making it sound much worse than it was. They simply said there was a long list of musicians who people only know by their stage name (eg. Prince, Bono, etc etc) and then said Eminem was an exception only because he put his name in the title of one of his albums. And they were asking it being openly unsure of the exact title or fact. What's the problem, they're 40+ with the exception of maybe Hayes
Simmer down.

93WrapAround

Jul 4, 2018
Rusic was actually part of the morning show when they (Sportsnet) inexplicably gave Dean Blundell the morning spot. It was career suicide. I'm actually surprised he still maintained a job at the Fan given how bad the show was and just how bad he was on it. Through no fault of his own though. He had to play an out-of-character persona to fit into the type Blundell was, and it was horrible. Others (ie. Andrew Walker) steered clear of Blundell knowing what it could do to their career. For him though, he finally got a chance at a prime time slot and probably a hefty pay raise, so I get why he'd subject himself to it. But it was a horrible fit from day one.

I thought Rusic was one of their better personalities prior to the move. He just goes about his business and doesn't sound like a jerk (ie. Brady and many others). Having heard him fill in once in a while, he's gone back to that after shedding the Blundell stain. He's good. He just needs to rebuild himself again.

Hmm interesting stuff - I guess wasn't as avid a listener at that time. Glad he was able to recover from that. Andrew Walker was another gem at Sportsnet and made listening to Brady somewhat tolerable. It's confusing to me how several personalities seem to be almost unanimously disliked (eg. Brady, Landsberg) and yet they maintain huge primetime shows and time-slots. Brady is insufferable at times - feel like I'm listening to some stand up comic trying to make a living at his craft. Not to mention he can't go merely 2 seconds without taking over the discussion himself again, which again, is usually aimed at entertaining first and saying something insightful second (or last). Anyway, definitely some personalities I'd like to hear more of - Rusic on the Fan, and Wheels (I know..) at TSN.

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF

This is perfect.

A guy eats cat **** and gets a job before Jeffler (who has literally dedicated his entire life to this). Just goes to show how blackballed Jeffler is in the media. His online personality is toxic and no one wants to hitch their wagon to a petulant clown always trying to white knight on the internet and getting into arguments for no evident reason.

God bless.

I wouldn't say Jeffler is blackballed. He does radio spots frequently in the non-prime time shows with 590 every now and then.

Issue is, Jeff wants to stand on his own, rather than be apart of a team. He had a good gig with The Leafs Nation (though who knows what pay was like) and he quit that to start his own subscription site. Issue with that is subscription only works for sites like Athletic and ESPN, because you get access to everyone on their platform, multiple teams and leagues. It's just Jeff on his site who mainly just writes Leafs/Marlies, which is a very competitive market. So putting yourself behind a paywall both limits your exposure, and limits your market.

A lot of the analytics guys on Twitter who have their own sites/podcasts, have Patreon's or something like that where people can make single donations, or set up a monthly donation themselves.

Jmo89

Mar 21, 2010
Watched 5 minutes of Sportsnet's lunch hour show...

In that time I learned that the Bruins are the heavy favorites against the Leafs and that Toronto's only chance is with exceptional goaltending and special teams.

Also, Muzzin is garbage. :sarcasm:

I guess I'm just going to mail it in now and not watch any more games. The Big Kypper has spoken.

Edit: I'm going to go ahead an edit in an emoji. It seems the latter part of this post was taken too seriously.

Last edited:

LeafChief

Matthew Knies Enthusiast
Mar 5, 2013
Scarborough
I wouldn't say Jeffler is blackballed. He does radio spots frequently in the non-prime time shows with 590 every now and then.

Issue is, Jeff wants to stand on his own, rather than be apart of a team. He had a good gig with The Leafs Nation (though who knows what pay was like) and he quit that to start his own subscription site. Issue with that is subscription only works for sites like Athletic and ESPN, because you get access to everyone on their platform, multiple teams and leagues. It's just Jeff on his site who mainly just writes Leafs/Marlies, which is a very competitive market. So putting yourself behind a paywall both limits your exposure, and limits your market.

A lot of the analytics guys on Twitter who have their own sites/podcasts, have Patreon's or something like that where people can make single donations, or set up a monthly donation themselves.
He's almost 30 and hasn't yet been able to lock down a regular paycheque.

He appears on the radio (without pay) at hours when people are sleeping or at home (not listening to radio).

To put himself behind a paywall was the most egotistical move to date. What an idiot.

Joey Hoser

Jan 8, 2008
Guelph
I remember Jeffler as the guy who made the website designed to humiliate Bryan McCabe and drive him out of town because of the accidental own-goal.

LeafChief

Matthew Knies Enthusiast
Mar 5, 2013
Scarborough
I remember Jeffler as the guy who made the website designed to humiliate Bryan McCabe and drive him out of town because of the accidental own-goal.
That is correct.

And then he wonders why the mainstream media won't hire him.

He also harassed Tyler Bozak and pumps his numbers on Twitter/Reddit with burner accounts.

*allegedly*

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
Watched 5 minutes of Sportsnet's lunch hour show...

In that time I learned that the Bruins are the heavy favorites against the Leafs and that Toronto's only chance is with exceptional goaltending and special teams.

Also, Muzzin is garbage.

I guess I'm just going to mail it in now and not watch any more games. The Big Kypper has spoken.

I wouldn’t describe it as “listening” on your part.

al secord

Mustard Tiger
Jun 26, 2013
Toronto

This is perfect.

A guy eats cat **** and gets a job before Jeffler (who has literally dedicated his entire life to this). Just goes to show how blackballed Jeffler is in the media. His online personality is toxic and no one wants to hitch their wagon to a petulant clown always trying to white knight on the internet and getting into arguments for no evident reason.

God bless.

Instead of whining, why doesn't he just eat some cat shit?

93WrapAround

Jul 4, 2018
Im confused what you mean here? I never used the word listening.

Best case: You had the CC on and were technically reading to find these things out, which still means you're playing the semantics game here.

Worst case: You don't understand that you actually learned all of that by way of listening.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad