TSN Overdrive (and other Toronto Sports Media) 2018-19 (v2)

Status
Not open for further replies.

93WrapAround

Jul 4, 2018
Say what you want about Burke and his tenure with his Leafs, but he has found a good niche in broadcasting and his Thursday half-hour segments are must listens. As 93WA mentioned, his insights into trade deadline were great. It's also nice to have someone not toe the line and just say it like it is.

Exactly. No one was even discussing how well of a GM he was (although he did have a hand in a Stanley Cup with Anaheim as their GM, but again that's besides the point). This guy gave insights into what goes on with GMs, owners, analytics guys, pro scouts, leaks to the media, negotiations with other GMs, and what typically goes on with all of these parties that you just won't get anywhere else. At times he names names, and is unusually blunt/honest with his answers, almost to a fault. His delivery is also entertaining and to the point. I didn't even know this was a regular segment but will for sure be tuning in again. Just gives you some exceptional insight into the perspective from the suits that is pretty interesting, at least to me. Of course it doesn't mean that this is how ALL organizations operate or even this is how one should operate a team in order to succeed - nor is this the vibe he puts out there. Just b/c our Leafs team wasn't terribly successful during his tenure doesn't somehow mean I'm going to hate everything to do with the man lol.

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
Say what you want about Burke and his tenure with his Leafs, but he has found a good niche in broadcasting and his Thursday half-hour segments are must listens. As 93WA mentioned, his insights into trade deadline were great. It's also nice to have someone not toe the line and just say it like it is.
Give him credits, he has been around long around to know whats going on in the League. I do find that a lot of what he said now is the past thinking and pretty sure he knows the game(not just playing style but mentality of players are changing) but he wont' admit it.
Players are becoming more like those NBA players and this all started with stars sitting out ASG and even if you have to make them sit for a game, these players will gladly take it with a smile. Sooner or later, I can see these stars and even teams might sit them out in back to back or just dress them for a few shifts to rest them. I mentioned this on the Raptors thread and stated I really can't stand Basketball players sitting out regular season games bc they might be too tired... I understand they want to be fresh and be in playoffs and all, but if I am paying to attend that game and see that Durant, Kawhi, Curry Lebron or whoever are sitting b/c the team need to rest them for playoffs, I will be pretty piss off. There is a good chance the game I am going might be the only game I can afford to go that season. I would rather teams make up some mickey mouse excuses than plainly state-we need to rest him for playoffs. The sad thing is a lot of fans are okay with this b/c it will bring playoff success.
Anyhow, the trend these young players are heading is like the NBA and I think within 6 year(when these new corps of players become UFA), a few of them might get together and join a Super Team like Lebron and the Heats. I would have said this offseason with Karlsson, Panarin, Bob, Stone, Duchense, but I just don't think any teams is preparing for that-capwise. Imagine a team having 45mil cap space this offseason. I would OS Point for like 14mil, then sign Stone(11mil), Bob(11mil) and Karlsson(11mil). You get a 1c, 1W, 1D and starting goalie in one summer.

Last edited:

tmlms13

Apr 11, 2012
Waterloo, Ontario
Well I just don't care what he says or does. The fact is that we don't know if he's even telling the truth. I don't just take people's word for it because they've been a GM before.

To me he just wants attention so someone else will give him a job, he did the same thing before he went to Calgary and Anaheim

Reactions: Walshy7

FlareKnight

Jun 26, 2006
Alberta
I did kind of like the latest 'The Leaf Report' podcast with Mirtle and Siegel. Some fair points about the trip and the current state of things. The road trip wasn't insanely good, but it was fine overall. And the blueline feels like a weird battle between Dubas and Babcock. Muzzin is brought in with the expectation that he's on the top pair. Whether he's willing to move over or Rielly moves over, you bump down Hainsey and all balances out better. But Hainsey is Babcock's prized good pro so he's our top pair RD (who still plays on his off side anyways). And we're just locked in with Rielly, Gardiner, Muzzin on the left side.

Sort of agree there may not be any moves the Leafs end up making. If you add a D without moving one that's just going to toss Dermott from the lineup.

Anthrax442

Aug 4, 2008
Toronto
www.russianroulette.ca
I did kind of like the latest 'The Leaf Report' podcast with Mirtle and Siegel. Some fair points about the trip and the current state of things. The road trip wasn't insanely good, but it was fine overall. And the blueline feels like a weird battle between Dubas and Babcock. Muzzin is brought in with the expectation that he's on the top pair. Whether he's willing to move over or Rielly moves over, you bump down Hainsey and all balances out better. But Hainsey is Babcock's prized good pro so he's our top pair RD (who still plays on his off side anyways). And we're just locked in with Rielly, Gardiner, Muzzin on the left side.

Sort of agree there may not be any moves the Leafs end up making. If you add a D without moving one that's just going to toss Dermott from the lineup.

The part I liked in the end where they contemplated moving Kadri + Z for Spurgeon. Staal should be coming back too. That's a deal I'd do

rielledup

Sep 17, 2015
O dog is becoming really hard to listen to, he's so obnoxious and almost sounds like he's about to throw a tantrum half the time when he speaks.

Also, Hayes and Odog claiming that Duchesne is only a 60 pt player? He already has almost 60 in only 50 games.

93WrapAround

Jul 4, 2018
O dog is becoming really hard to listen to, he's so obnoxious and almost sounds like he's about to throw a tantrum half the time when he speaks.

Also, Hayes and Odog claiming that Duchesne is only a 60 pt player? He already has almost 60 in only 50 games.

First rule of this thread is never side with Noodles regardless of how sane/true it may be. You'll get flamed.

And to be fair, in 10 years in the league he's had 2 seasons (3 if you include this one) over 60 points.

Also, why in the world did Duchene get a video tribute yesterday?? One and a half seasons with a franchise warrants a video tribute? Comical.

diceman934

Help is on the way.
Jul 31, 2010
NHL player factory

Well he had 70 points once in his career and he is averaging 62 points in an 82 game season in his career. Sure looks like a 60 point a season player on a good team to me. He has played 705 games in the NHL and he is as far as you can be away from a consistent player.

Reactions: TheShape

rielledup

Sep 17, 2015
First rule of this thread is never side with Noodles regardless of how sane/true it may be. You'll get flamed.

And to be fair, in 10 years in the league he's had 2 seasons (3 if you include this one) over 60 points.

Also, why in the world did Duchene get a video tribute yesterday?? One and a half seasons with a franchise warrants a video tribute? Comical.

Yes but you can't just look at the raw numbers. In his first 5 seasons he was trending toward being a legit star player and in his 4th and 5th seasons was almost a ppg player and would have had well over 60 in his 4th seasons had he not only played 47 games. He regressed big time for three seasons when that whole team went to shit and then late last year he was turning it up again in Ottawa and this year he's been great. I think the way he is playing this season is much more indicative of his true potential than his last three I Colorado.

AreBe

This is the Real Are Be and not a Burner account!
Apr 1, 2013
If Burke is so smart how come the Leafs made zero playoff appearances while he was GM?
because Burke is into truculence
penalty box minutes as a positive, instead of hating them
But, he is a sharp tack, clearly does not suffer fools lightly, and does have insight - a man of some substance
But do note concerns with getting rental players and trading away youth. Trading away kids is something we should condemn

RubberHead

Apr 15, 2018
1982, not 72. Check his wikipedia page. Hughson turned 16 in 1972. Ballard fired him in 1986, so mid-80s.
anyone can go into Wikipedia and edit the content. I take nothing from that site as factual. Maybe look up the history of CHCH TV in Hamilton Ontario. Ballard changed the TV contract to another network, I believe it was CITY TV and they had their own people Jim Tatti, etc.

keonsbitterness

Sep 14, 2010
south of Steeles
anyone can go into Wikipedia and edit the content. I take nothing from that site as factual. Maybe look up the history of CHCH TV in Hamilton Ontario. Ballard changed the TV contract to another network, I believe it was CITY TV and they had their own people Jim Tatti, etc.
CTV was doing mid-week Leaf games in 1972, and Bill Hewitt worked play-by-play. I know because I was watching them as a wee lad. But if you don't believe me, take it from someone else who was around back then:
Leafs of 1977-78 – Part 1
IN 1977-78, LEAFS WEDNESDAY-NIGHT GAMES – HOME AND AWAY – WERE TELEVISED BY CHCH-TV IN HAMILTON (CHANNEL 11). THIS WAS A DELIGHTFUL CHANGE, AS THE CTV NETWORK HAD PREVIOUSLY OWNED RIGHTS TO THE MID-WEEK HOCKEY NIGHT IN CANADA PACKAGE – TELEVISING WEDNESDAY GAMES FROM EITHER MAPLE LEAF GARDENS OR THE MONTREAL FORUM. IF LEAFS WERE, SAY, IN PITTSBURGH AND DETROIT WAS PLAYING AT MONTREAL, A COAST-TO-COAST AUDIENCE IN CANADA WOULD SEE THE RED WINGS AND CANADIENS. IF THE HABS WERE OUT OF TOWN AND LEAFS WERE AT HOME, THE OPPOSITE WOULD PREVAIL. CTV’s NATIONAL ARRANGEMENT ENDED AFTER THE ’76-77 SEASON AND CHANNEL 11 PURCHASED THE TORONTO MID-WEEK PACKAGE. FOR THE FIRST TIME – IN ’77-78 – GAMES WERE SHOWN REGARDLESS OF WHERE THE LEAFS PLAYED.

November/77 Toronto Star story:
RSCN1239.JPG

So obviously Bill Hewitt was kept on by CHCH, where he stayed until 1981 when he got sick.

Hughson never did a Leaf game in the 70s.

Kazparov

Jan 2, 2017
My God. Listening to fans call in this morning on 590 was painful.

You'd think top 4 RHD on term grow on trees and Dubas was too lazy to pick up the phone

ErnieLeafs

Apr 7, 2009
Well I just don't care what he says or does. The fact is that we don't know if he's even telling the truth. I don't just take people's word for it because they've been a GM before.

To me he just wants attention so someone else will give him a job, he did the same thing before he went to Calgary and Anaheim

In conclusion, you dislike the man personally, despite having never met him, nor him doing anything to you, and so nothing he says or does can ever be of utility or sufficient.

Good to know.

tmlms13

Apr 11, 2012
Waterloo, Ontario
In conclusion, you dislike the man personally, despite having never met him, nor him doing anything to you, and so nothing he says or does can ever be of utility or sufficient.

Good to know.

That's usually how I feel about attention ******.

And it Burke so it's easier to dislike him. he's the Donald Trump of GMs.

----

In other news looking forward to Hayes and Noodles reaction to O's face shot glitch from last night

MyBudJT

Mar 5, 2018
I don't listen to Leafs Lunch all that often, but I'm tuning in now... Dreger just said something elaborate, talking about the leafs 4th line and what not... and then Andi goes off on a tangent throwing Button under the bus for coughing without turning of his mic. Andi looked like a real amateur (and a bit of a prick) there...

tmlms13

Apr 11, 2012
Waterloo, Ontario
:laugh: Great comparison.

The more I think about it, it really is the perfect comparison. In business a few successes, lots of failure. Transition into tv talking head (politics). Is a massive attention seeker with a big ego. "Tell's it like it it is" common claim from his supporters. Offers no evidence that it actually is, assumes we all just trust him. Often attacks people he doesn't like.

tmlms13

Apr 11, 2012
Waterloo, Ontario
I don't listen to Leafs Lunch all that often, but I'm tuning in now... Dreger just said something elaborate, talking about the leafs 4th line and what not... and then Andi goes off on a tangent throwing Button under the bus for coughing without turning of his mic. Andi looked like a real amateur (and a bit of a prick) there...

Good Button attacks her all the time.

Reactions: Walshy7
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad