TSN Overdrive (and other Toronto Sports Media) 2018-19 (v2)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dale Gribble

Feb 9, 2019
It's pretty clear that I addressed your post in my first sentence and then moved on to other bigger picture types of things.
Your first sentence was: "are they destroying 590 though ?"
I never said they did, but Mike Richards in the Morning had the highest rated program on 1050, and was destroying 590's counter programming. So, how did you address anything I said ? lol

Man Bear Pig

Aug 10, 2008
Earth
Your first sentence was: "are they destroying 590 though ?"
I never said they did, but Mike Richards in the Morning had the highest rated program on 1050, and was destroying 590's counter programming. So, how did you address anything I said ? lol
You seem confused.

Stringer Bell

Dec 16, 2009
Listening to Andi on the first hour of Leafs Lunch was horrific. First claims that Belfour came before Cujo and then was adamant that when Cujo came back for his second stint in 2008-2009 we were hoping he would stabilize our net and that...ever since Cujo in 2008-2009 it's been then that we have been trying to stabilize it. WHAT?

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
Listening to Andi on the first hour of Leafs Lunch was horrific. First claims that Belfour came before Cujo and then was adamant that when Cujo came back for his second stint in 2008-2009 we were hoping he would stabilize our net and that...ever since Cujo in 2008-2009 it's been then that we have been trying to stabilize it. WHAT?

Rather minor mistake.

tmlms13

Apr 11, 2012
Waterloo, Ontario

I know right, because we all have perfect memory of the Pat Quinn era from 20 years ago. I completely forgot Cujo even came back.

CarterD

Dec 20, 2018
I dislike Carlo more and more as time goes on. He just says stuff without thinking it through and makes an ass of himself way too often. When Lansberg questions or calls him out on something, he just falls apart. One example being the time he went on about believing that NFL game was rigged, and Lansberg and others spent quite awhile giving very obvious reasons what simply can't be the case, but Carlo just kept say "I still believe it's rigged", no matter how stupid it got.

It's been Cauz or Wheeler.
Wheelers a joke and Cauz needs someone to cohost

tmlms13

Apr 11, 2012
Waterloo, Ontario
Who cares. If she went full Donald Trump being wrong then I'd have a problem.

The guys on Overdrive get stuff wrong all the time and they don't get as much hate. Every once in a while I hear Bobby Mac or Dregs get something wrong.

Craig Button is the worst when he's wrong, he goes full Donald Trump when called out. (Usually by Gord)

Last edited:

Joey Hoser

Jan 8, 2008
Guelph
Host of Leafs Lunch should know Belfour came after Cujo. That's pretty basic.

Did we not go Cujo to Belfour and then back to Cujo at some point?

I don't even remember exactly. Who cares? Complaining about this is just trying to pile on. There's plenty else to complain about with the show.

garce

Mar 20, 2010
Too close to Ottawa and Montreal
Rather minor mistake.

On its own a minor mistake sure, to me it’s a example of the shallow nature of her knowledge.
Because of that she is incapable of going off her script during the hockey discussions and drifting into mindless babble about herself. I can’t listen. I saw the lineup today and had to chuckle, Andi Miller and Button the absolute worst configuration possible. The name drops would be at a fever pitch with Gord sneering and Craig chuckling at their shared brilliance,

Reactions: ktownhockey

AreBe

This is the Real Are Be and not a Burner account!
Apr 1, 2013
My sources are telling me the Leafs might do something....or they might not.

I believe it.
Dreaded wall - to - wall, 'round the clock coverage of trade deadline day is upon us, bags of pucks for bags of tape

With pro -scouting, professional analytical analysis, video of every player, and every single GM having a spreadsheet ranking every player in the NHL and AHL, and once you figure out if you are getting an equal or better X than you are giving up, you then have to calculate salary cap ramifications, and in the unlikely event a GM is an idiot, the odds are his staff are not all idiots, and somebody somewhere is going to stop a Courtnall for Kordik or a Gary Leeman for Gilmore trade - just not going to happen, the GM's and their assistants are smart, and to be a sucker, they do not see fit.

Andi, Bobcat, TSN 1050, Fan 590, trade deadline day is not what it once was because nobody is going to be a chimp and take a bad deal and if the GMs must win the trade, get a mathematically demonstrable fraction better than they are giving up, the deal is not getting approved.(as no GM is giving a 10th of an X less to get the deal done, lower X coming back than giving up then do not do trade, end of discussion) Trade deadline day: slow news day with endless speculation from which- if we listen to the Fan 590 or TSN 1050 we cannot escape.

Analytics, pro scouting, video, 1995 era computer spreadsheet programs and the salary cap have put an end to sucker trades, and thus, groundbreaking, newsworthy trades. Making the scouting staff assigned points match up and then combining that with salary cap ramification: that is the hard bit!

Reactions: NovaLeaf

Peasy

May 25, 2012
Star Shoppin
Wish they would have talked more about GSP today. This guy is generally considered the GOAT of MMA. He was Canadas athlete of the year in 2010 beating out Crosby when he scored the golden goal in Vancouver. Canadians loved him. Whenever he was fighting bars would be packed. I remember going to bars for his fights and the atmosphere in there would be unreal.

Reactions: jaric1862

jaric1862

Jan 14, 2014
Wish they would have talked more about GSP today. This guy is generally considered the GOAT of MMA. He was Canadas athlete of the year in 2010 beating out Crosby when he scored the golden goal in Vancouver. Canadians loved him. Whenever he was fighting bars would be packed. I remember going to bars for his fights and the atmosphere in there would be unreal.

I 100% agree, was coming here to post that

93WrapAround

Jul 4, 2018
Usually my post-work routine is immediately firing up Overdrive shortly after 5 but thank goodness my dial was set to fan 590 tonight and I was preoccupied mentally enough to not change it immediately. Brian Burke was on bobcats show and you basically got an inside look into what goes on inside the 'war room' both leading up to deadline day and on it. What was great about it is Brian Burke comes off as the most bluntly honest guy around and gave some awesome insight into what goes on behind the scenes and day of. This is the kind of gem of an interview you just wouldn't get from Overdrive (not that they need to pretend they're a show that they're not). Post-gym I left it on as there was a fascinating discussion about the different culture for NBA college players who already have one step in the NBA when they're in their freshman year. Then they were contemplating the repurcussions for Zion Williamson's Nike shoe explosion incident from last night and how Nike now cannot even contemplate allowing him to signa shoe deal elsewhere bc of how bad the optics would look and how they're now going to have to shell out a massive premium for that contract.

Anyway, was a refreshing breather from Overdrive for a night, they def both bring their own respective value to the table.

TheTotalPackage

Sep 14, 2006
Say what you want about Burke and his tenure with his Leafs, but he has found a good niche in broadcasting and his Thursday half-hour segments are must listens. As 93WA mentioned, his insights into trade deadline were great. It's also nice to have someone not toe the line and just say it like it is.

tmlms13

Apr 11, 2012
Waterloo, Ontario
Say what you want about Burke and his tenure with his Leafs, but he has found a good niche in broadcasting and his Thursday half-hour segments are must listens. As 93WA mentioned, his insights into trade deadline were great. It's also nice to have someone not toe the line and just say it like it is.

And how can you confirm that is how it is? I've heard the say it like it is line thousands of times in my life and ended up to be completely false

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad