TSN Overdrive (and other Toronto Sports Media) 2018-19 (v2)

Status
Not open for further replies.

1specter

Sep 27, 2016
id swap marner for laine in a heartbeat. Love marner but laine is just a different beast.

Edit: not to say Laine is miles better, just he has an element we don't have massive size and willingness to use his body.
No thanks. I don't want a guy who can't drive his own line and shows up for 30-40% of games. Of Laine's 46 games this year, his goals have come in only 14 of those games, and on top of that 18 of his 25 goals all came within November, in which he had 2 games where he scored 3 goals and 1 game where he scored 5. 11 of those 25 are also power play goals and 2 are empty net.

So if he's not scoring goals, he's not really doing anything else, especially at 5v5.

Marner brings so much more to the table and he's learned to score goals now too.

Last edited:

Stigma

May 24, 2015
Mississauga
Lol @ Noodles' anti-Leafs agenda. Just from the last two shows:

-They were criticizing the Oilers' D and Noodles immediately compared to the Leafs, saying how it wasn't that dissimilar. Thankfully O shut him down.
-Hayes brought up a hypothetical: who gets more money if they were offered the same term: Marner or Laine. Noodles did not hesitate to pick Laine, mentioning how goal scoring is more valuable, ignoring Marner's 26 point lead and 18 goals, which Hayes brought up (Laine with 25). You need a better argument......

Although, coming from the guy who compared Marner to Eberle not too long ago, I'm not surprised.
I'm usually okay with him, but he's been annoying lately.

Also, Hayes killed him in an argument about booing yesterday. It was embarrassing. So many "you're right, but......".

Warden of the North

Ned Stark's head
Apr 28, 2006
Muskoka
Coles notes version?

Media reaction to the booing is absurd. Every time the fans react negatively to the Leafs the media calls them idiots, morons, dopes etc. Mentioned how Yankees fans literally booed Giancarlo Stanton in his first game as a Yankee (this would be equivalent to Leafs fans booing Tavares in his first game as a Leaf).

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto
No thanks. I don't want a guy who can't drive his own line and shows up for 30-40% of games. Of Laine's 46 games this year, his goals have come in only 18 of those games, and on top of that 18 of his 25 goals all came within November, in which he had 2 games where he scored 3 goals and 1 game where he scored 5. 11 of those 25 are also power play goals and 2 are empty net.

So if he's not scoring goals, he's not really doing anything else, especially at 5v5.

Marner brings so much more to the table and he's learned to score goals now too.

yeah good points, perhaps I was a bit hasty on the "in a heartbeat" stuff. But Laine is unreal goal scorer who has size and does play physical, never call him gritty but he hits more than probably all our forwards combined (hyperbole). He is far more of a unique player than marner. Marner may be at the top or near the top of playmaking wingers but there are so many playmaking wingers, but Laine is the top of goal scoring wingers especially for the future (as in not named ovi)

MyBudJT

Mar 5, 2018
yeah good points, perhaps I was a bit hasty on the "in a heartbeat" stuff. But Laine is unreal goal scorer who has size and does play physical, never call him gritty but he hits more than probably all our forwards combined (hyperbole). He is far more of a unique player than marner. Marner may be at the top or near the top of playmaking wingers but there are so many playmaking wingers, but Laine is the top of goal scoring wingers especially for the future (as in not named ovi)

I think you've bought into the Jets/Finnish fan hype... Laine can play good when he wants to, but it seems like he'd rather play Fortnite than become a superstar... ;)

TheTotalPackage

Sep 14, 2006
Didn't take long -- sounds like Scott MacArthur will become the new host of the Blue Jays post-game talk. Figured he'd be leaving for something along these lines as it seemed like his heart was covering the Blue Jays on the Fan 590. Great opportunity for him.

And great for us as we get to hear less of Wilner and his confrontational ways with callers. MacArthur should bring a sense of levity and normalcy to the show, which is much needed. I'll actually be willing to tune back in to listen again.

TheBeastCoast

Mar 23, 2011
Dartmouth,NS
id swap marner for laine in a heartbeat. Love marner but laine is just a different beast.

Edit: not to say Laine is miles better, just he has an element we don't have massive size and willingness to use his body.
Errr I mean....Entitled to your opinion but that seems highly questionable. He really isn't willing to use his body lol effort and engagement is a massive issue with Laine. Marner is just flat out a better player.

Reactions: stickty111

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto
I think you've bought into the Jets/Finnish fan hype... Laine can play good when he wants to, but it seems like he'd rather play Fortnite than become a superstar... ;)

eh, if he scores 40 without trying to be a superstar ill take it.

TheTotalPackage

Sep 14, 2006
Errr I mean....Entitled to your opinion but that seems highly questionable. He really isn't willing to use his body lol effort and engagement is a massive issue with Laine. Marner is just flat out a better player.

Before this season I would have taken Laine over Marner. Just think he will be special over time. But Marner this season has turned into an all-out stud. Heck, I personally think he is the Leafs' best and most important player now, which is saying a lot considering who the franchise player is.

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto

absolutely he is, id suggest you watch him more. Im not some jets homer I barely see there games but in the few ive seen he has hit more than any leaf. It doesn't really matter anyway theyd never do it we would never do it. Laine brings something we don't have Size and (IMO) some physicality we don't have that anywhere in our system (korshkov is a long shot that gets longer every year)

TheBeastCoast

Mar 23, 2011
Dartmouth,NS
absolutely he is, id suggest you watch him more. Im not some jets homer I barely see there games but in the few ive seen he has hit more than any leaf. It doesn't really matter anyway theyd never do it we would never do it. Laine brings something we don't have Size and (IMO) some physicality we don't have that anywhere in our system (korshkov is a long shot that gets longer every year)
I watch a ton of Jets games....He has not been engaged for the majority of this season. I am really not sure how this can be argued. Like if he isn't on a heater filling the net....He is accomplishing absolutely nothing. Just being big doesn't make him physical lol

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto
I watch a ton of Jets games....He has not been engaged for the majority of this season. I am really not sure how this can be argued. Like if he isn't on a heater filling the net....He is accomplishing absolutely nothing. Just being big doesn't make him physical lol

ok im going to end this here. It really doesn't matter anyway it would never happen. BUT a player who scores 40 in his sleep is nothing to scoff at, not engaged but on pace for 44 goals. Im also not advocating for a marner/laine trade necessarily more I believe laine has something that you cant find in most players

Reactions: Bobby Terrance

TheBeastCoast

Mar 23, 2011
Dartmouth,NS
ok im going to end this here. It really doesn't matter anyway it would never happen. BUT a player who scores 40 in his sleep is nothing to scoff at, not engaged but on pace for 44 goals. Im also not advocating for a marner/laine trade necessarily more I believe laine has something that you cant find in most players
I'm not saying anything about Laine's goal scoring ability though. He is obviously one of the best goal scorers in hockey....Marner is basically significantly better in ever other facet of hockey. That's all.

AreBe

This is the Real Are Be and not a Burner account!
Apr 1, 2013
Looking to spend assets to upgrade the team
Stupid, stupid, stupid
"Get that aging 35 year old blown knee good Canadian Kid penalty box sitter! Move on from this excessive skill! " or so it would seem
"Where have I seen this before?" Oh yeah! Here in Toronto, always, like I got shot with an arrow to the eye by that divorce causing Cupid
Let's trade Borgman, Rosen, Sandin, Engvall, Timashov, Grundstom, and Kaskiso - enough with this high skilled, passing, skating, spatially aware European dream!

TheAHL.com

LeafFever

Feb 12, 2016
You are making it sound like Laine is some complete 200 ft beast. LOL. He is laughably one-dimensional and streaky and not close to Marner.

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto
You are making it sound like Laine is some complete 200 ft beast. LOL. He is laughably one-dimensional and streaky and not close to Marner.

no I didn't not even a slight suggestion of that. I said he is more physical than any leaf right now, to which a reply came saying "lol he isn't physical" which really goes to show the lack of physicality this team has. I said not one single word about d play

Hockey Talker29

Oct 10, 2003
Toronto
Visit site
Laine has serious questions about his 5-v-5 game. About 45% of his production comes from the PP. Marner is under 30%, and Matthews is even less than that. He's very effective if you run it through him, but both Matthews and Marner crush him at even strength, and their production on the PP isn't that far off.

Matthews and Marner are better than Laine.

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Just moments ago on Leafs Lunch I heard Craig Button say that Manchester United firing their manager was able to free up their players to be better, so he equated that to Babcock and why the Leafs players are in a minor slump.

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Darren Dreger said he would not include the Leafs among Stanley Cup contenders like Boston. If they are more of a contender they still have to go through Tampa Bay, so that doesn’t make sense ranking them above the Leafs.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad