TSN Overdrive (and other Toronto Sports Media) 2018-19 (v2)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
You wished that someone had lost their job because of a comment given at least partially in jest?
Come on.

The huge majority of viewers of HNIC are Leafs fans and the rest are Leafs haters. That's a comment that can appeal to the emotions of basically every single viewer.
Leafs fans' reaction - "You jackass, that's fine, we bathe in the tears of the fans from the rest of the country!"
Leafs haters' reaction - "You tell those jackasses Jim. We relish nothing more than sticking it to Toronto and the Leafs!"

Furthermore, that’s not what Hughson said.

pcruz

Mar 7, 2013
Vaughan
I never run out of podcasts, I have one for pretty much every team & sport I am a fan of around the world.
European soccer podcasts?

Hmmmmm.....

Never thought of that.

I've exhausted the Football Manager ones.

Literally don't care enough for Raptors, TFC or Blue Jays pods as I'll only watch sporadically since the Vince Carter/Doc days.

I'll give it a search.

Maybe there are Champions League podcasts. That's be interesting for sure.

I've turned to American politics as that's some of the more exciting and unbelievable fiction / non-fiction storylines out there today.

Warden of the North

Ned Stark's head
Apr 28, 2006
Muskoka
Other hockey pods (actual professional, not guy in basement)

The Hockey News Podcast
31 Thoughts
The Bobcast
Puck Soup
ESPN on Ice
The Leafs Report
Two Line Pass
Steve Dangle Podcast
The Full 60

TheShape

Oct 25, 2018
Maybe there are Champions League podcasts. That's be interesting for sure.

ESPN FC on Spotify is a pretty good podcast if you’re looking for champions league coverage.

Not sure what soccer club you support but you can search team podcasts on Reddit. I’m a Real Madrid fan and Managing Madrid has some decent content.

Spittin Chiclets is one of my favourites, only two episodes a week though.

pcruz

Mar 7, 2013
Vaughan
pulp hockey. its a guy and ray calls in on the phone. Basically its like Ray's segment minus the overdrive guys.

Once in a while there's a special guest too.

Imagine an hour long 5pm call in without Hayes and O'Neill interrupting with their bitching and infighting.

Ray really is a superstar in his analysis.
He's so neutral that it's refreshing too.

I like it when he talks about his radio hits too. He's mentioned his fights with Hayes a few times, including the last one involving Nylander.

Bobcast is good, but it was amazing the first couple of seasons. Bob sounds more and more tired and less and less interested. Take his insider info as Gospel though.

Prime Time Sports is great on the Burke hour and the Friday round table. I have less and less interest in Bobcat outside of those windows though.

Used to listen to Blair, but I can't do it anymore. Can't stand almost everyone at The Fan 590, slight exception to Deitsch, Banks and Morosi. The guy from Boston Globe is OK also.

Reactions: Walshy7

therealkoho

Him/Leaf/fan
Jul 10, 2009
the Prior
so Ive been trying to watch Leafs Lunch again and find it as close to intolerable as it's ever been, although it seemed to get better when Andi was on holiday. One thing I've noticed is that in the last 3 weeks or so, that they've got a full court press going on in driving the Zaitsev narrative. I'm not sure if they're reflecting LeaFlanders or driving them to ZaitsHate or somewhere in between, they've even got the so called insider's in on this assassination. When Pierre Maguire was on last week they pushed him hard to get on the negativity train but he wouldn't bite except to say that the Leafs defence wasn't as bad as some make it out to be and that the problems aren't confined to just one player and then he switched topic.

Man Bear Pig

Aug 10, 2008
Earth
People searching and conjuring up every percieved slight that hughson allegedly makes are people who most likely watch infowars. And by the way, no one is forcing him to call leafs games, this is the pinacle for any hockey broadcasted to be calling leafs games on HNIC so I’m sure he would be pissed to not be calling those games.
Yes, I watch info wars. Hughson taking shots at the Leafs= I think Sandy Hook was a hoax.

Reactions: LeafsNation75

garce

Mar 20, 2010
Too close to Ottawa and Montreal
so Ive been trying to watch Leafs Lunch again and find it as close to intolerable as it's ever been, although it seemed to get better when Andi was on holiday. One thing I've noticed is that in the last 3 weeks or so, that they've got a full court press going on in driving the Zaitsev narrative. I'm not sure if they're reflecting LeaFlanders or driving them to ZaitsHate or somewhere in between, they've even got the so called insider's in on this assassination. When Pierre Maguire was on last week they pushed him hard to get on the negativity train but he wouldn't bite except to say that the Leafs defence wasn't as bad as some make it out to be and that the problems aren't confined to just one player and then he switched topic.

I will not listen if Andi is hosting, she doesn’t have a wide overall knowledge of the Leafs so when she has to get away from the narrow list of topics she has studied she goes to herself, family wardrobe apppearance and other blather. That’s why they drive topics like Zaitsev into the ground she can’t ad lib and stay on the Leafs her go to to fill the air is all things Andi. TSN allows Landsberg to go on about himself as well and he’s training Colaiacovo to go down that road. It’s awful

Reactions: phillipmike

Joey Hoser

Jan 8, 2008
Guelph
I will not listen if Andi is hosting, she doesn’t have a wide overall knowledge of the Leafs

What does that mean? Like, what does Hayes know that she doesn't?

It's just hockey talk. What are you doing with the information you receive from the show that is SO important? I'll never understand why people have such weird expectations for this sort of thing.

Reactions: Punch Drunk Loov

Punch Drunk Loov

Gaaaaary Roberts!
Dec 6, 2011
Andi is a fan and a fine host. People need to stop having unrealistic expectations for her.

Who cares if she has a bad hot take. She still smarter than 99% of the people on HFBoards.

I also think Andi is a fine host. I read such harsh takes on her performance on HF that I expect her to be brutal when I hear the show. I don't understand. Her commentary seems entertaining and insightful enough to me. She is a fine hockey personality and I can't help but think she's being treated unfairly.

I don't think any of these TSN guys are very interesting when not talking about hockey. Except Overdrive, because they're hilarious. Landsberg in particular is brutal when he's feeling sarcastic.

You notice mistakes all the time from commentators. For instance, I think Matthew Cause said he had to look up the Staal brothers because he could only name Erik. That seems like a rookie move no? Not everyone is Wikipedia. The show talks about the Leafs and its a good listen when you're driving around.

Reactions: MsMeow

garce

Mar 20, 2010
If it was hockey talk it would be fine the Overdrive guys drift into silliness but they also stick mostly to sports. I found Andi talks about herself constantly and seems happiest when panelists and guests talk about her. If there are listeners who enjoy hearing over and over again how feisty she is and how much she wears flannel clothing that’s great. I’m out.
I expect to be entertained and sometimes informed. Hayes can steer the ship, the hosts job, in many different directions. More often than not Andi steers the ship in one direction straight at herself.

It's just hockey talk. What are you doing with the information you receive from the show that is SO important? I'll never understand why people have such weird expectations for this sort of thing.

therealkoho

Him/Leaf/fan
Jul 10, 2009
the Prior

for me it has nothing to do with her "hockey knowledge" or lack of it, it's more the crap she wanders off with..she and Dreger talked about puppy poop one day for a full 4 minutes, Button and Siegel sat there in disbelief. WTF does dog excrement have to do with hockey, and funny enough hockey is why I listen, if I wanted to hear bad takes I would watch Dr Phil

Reactions: phillipmike

garce

Mar 20, 2010
for me it has nothing to do with her "hockey knowledge" or lack of it, it's more the crap she wanders off with..she and Dreger talked about puppy poop one day for a full 4 minutes, Button and Siegel sat there in disbelief. WTF does dog excrement have to do with hockey, and funny enough hockey is why I listen, if I wanted to hear bad takes I would watch Dr Phil

I’d love to have a Leafs Lunch hosted by a fairly anonymous guy like Mark Roe with Mike Johnson and a rotating cast of guys like Siegel, Mirtle and others even guys who I don’t really like, Feschuk, Miller and Button.

Reactions: Daisy Jane

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
Andi is a fan and a fine host. People need to stop having unrealistic expectations for her.

Who cares if she has a bad hot take. She still smarter than 99% of the people on HFBoards.

It's not hot takes that I have a problem with

Its the I'm so cute, off I go on a completely unrelated tangent that drives me nuts

I swear to God I know more about her home life and dog than a family friend at this point, it's called Leafs lunch so talk about the Leafs instead of completely unrelated topics for God's sake

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad