TSN Overdrive (and other Toronto Sports Media) 2018-19 (v2)

Status
Not open for further replies.

LeafFever

Feb 12, 2016
People think Hughson is a Leafs fan. People also thought Cole was a Leafs fan. One is a huge Canucks homer and other has openly stated many times that hes a Habs fan. What's next, Gord Miller is a Leafs fan too? The "bubble" you have to live in to believe this stuff is crazy.

Oh there are people who think Miller is a Leaf fan. Every person who appears on national radio or television must have only lived in Toronto in their lives and been a Leafs fan. That's what goes through people's heads.

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
It was odd. And in fact it brought me back to a Bob Cole criticism from years earlier. Leafs many years ago did a celebration of every Canadian province where they picked-out current and ex-players to represent each province. Of course when it comes to NewFoundland, there was slim-pickings, so Bob Cole came out during the pre-game ceremony to wave as the rep for NL. Non-leaf fans went crazy and claimed this was so biased and inapropriate having Cole a part of a Leafs ceremony. And then years later I see Hughson hosting a retirement ceremony for the Canucks.
When exactly was this celebration of every province because I don't remember it.

LeafFever

Feb 12, 2016
When exactly was this celebration of every province because I don't remember it.
I want to say it was about 15 years ago. It was a Canadian hockey celebration prior to a Saturday game, not directly about the Leafs. But many got upset Bob Cole came out to wave to the crowd for 10 seconds as the Newfoundland rep. They probably could not get anyone else and he was going to be in the building.

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
I want to say it was about 15 years ago. It was a Canadian hockey celebration prior to a Saturday game, not directly about the Leafs. But many got upset Bob Cole came out to wave to the crowd for 10 seconds as the Newfoundland rep. They probably could not get anyone else and he was going to be in the building.
The more you talk about it maybe I do remember it. However it doesn't come to my mind right away the way Hughson did the Bure jersey retirement and broadcasted the Leafs and Canucks game right after that.

Jimmy Jeong

ParaCanKor
Jun 29, 2018
Jim Hughson is pretty neutral to me, praises the leafs and trashes the leafs, and does that with every team, he is my fav play by play guy.

Back in 2004, Hughson was a guest on Vancouver radio while the Leafs were playing the Flyers in the playoffs. Leafs were down 2-0 in the series so a loss would pretty much end their season. As the hosts were talking, Mogilny scored and Hughson interupted with a "Ughhh Mogilny just scored"
This was before he was the national broadcaster so now I laugh that he's forced to call every Leaf game because I'm sure he just hates it inside.

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Back in 2004, Hughson was a guest on Vancouver radio while the Leafs were playing the Flyers in the playoffs. Leafs were down 2-0 in the series so a loss would pretty much end their season. As the hosts were talking, Mogilny scored and Hughson interupted with a "Ughhh Mogilny just scored"
This was before he was the national broadcaster so now I laugh that he's forced to call every Leaf game because I'm sure he just hates it inside.
The worst thing Hughson said was last season when Toronto lost to the Canucks in Vancouver and he said live on the air "It's a great Saturday night when the Canucks defeat the Maple Leafs." The moment I heard that I wished he would have been fired since he is supposed to be impartial as the lead broadcaster for Hockey Night In Canada.

Joey Hoser

Jan 8, 2008
Guelph
The worst thing Hughson said was last season when Toronto lost to the Canucks in Vancouver and he said live on the air "It's a great Saturday night when the Canucks defeat the Maple Leafs." The moment I heard that I wished he would have been fired since he is supposed to be impartial as the lead broadcaster for Hockey Night In Canada.

It was "Nothing better than beating the Leafs on a Saturday night", which I don't have the slightest problem with. That's completely true for every Canadian team and I don't understand why Leafs fans get upset about it. It's putting the Leafs on a pedestal, if anything.

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
It was "Nothing better than beating the Leafs on a Saturday night", which I don't have the slightest problem with. That's completely true for every Canadian team and I don't understand why Leafs fans get upset about it.
I have a problem with it because it was a national game broadcast across Canada and Hughson is supposed to be impartial. So if anything that comment confirmed what Leafs fans have said for years how he hates Toronto.

Reactions: stickty111

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
He'd never say it about the Leafs beating another Canadian team (....or anyone, for that matter)
Some people once said the reason for Hughson being so negative was Glenn Healy who would always give his anti Leafs comments and thought it would stop once they got rid of him. However that seems to be false since Hughson is still 100% anti Toronto.

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
"A GM told me once this about x player"

"BRB going to ask his mom"
They were talking with Dreger who said the players want to get rid of that over 35 rule where his contract counts against the teams cap for the whole contract. Miller mentioned the Tavares signing for some reason and went onto mention how James van Riemsdyk only got 4 years from the Flyers after scoring 38 goals for Toronto last season. I knew right away he was wrong because JVR got a 5 year contract and his goal total last season was 36.

pcruz

Mar 7, 2013
Vaughan
You wished that someone had lost their job because of a comment given at least partially in jest?
Come on.

The huge majority of viewers of HNIC are Leafs fans and the rest are Leafs haters. That's a comment that can appeal to the emotions of basically every single viewer.
Leafs fans' reaction - "You jackass, that's fine, we bathe in the tears of the fans from the rest of the country!"
Leafs haters' reaction - "You tell those jackasses Jim. We relish nothing more than sticking it to Toronto and the Leafs!"

pcruz

Mar 7, 2013
Vaughan
Thanks for the heads up, delete those podcasted episodes immediately
Sadly, I'm currently doing just that. No idea what I'm going to listen to tomorrow all day as I drive.
I'll have to listen to Bobcat's roundtable.

RubberHead

Apr 15, 2018
Hughson started his career with Hamilton's CHCH doing play by play on Wednesday nights Leafs hockey 45 years ago. The knock on him at the time was that he was to dramatic.

Man Bear Pig

Aug 10, 2008
Earth
He'd never say it about the Leafs beating another Canadian team (....or anyone, for that matter)
Exactly. When you listen to him doing (insert another team here) his tone is completely different. You can hear the difference in his voice. He, at times, sounds upset when the leafs take a lead or win a game in OT. Hes incredibly unprofessional for someone who's supposed to be impartial. This is why he'll never come close to Bob Cole. You'd never know who was Coles team and he seemed genuinely excited whether it was the Leafs, Habs or someone else. On a national broadcast that's how its supposed to be called.

HandshakeLineRespect

Respect in the Handshake Line
Apr 17, 2017
Brampton
People searching and conjuring up every percieved slight that hughson allegedly makes are people who most likely watch infowars. And by the way, no one is forcing him to call leafs games, this is the pinacle for any hockey broadcasted to be calling leafs games on HNIC so I’m sure he would be pissed to not be calling those games.

Reactions: MsMeow

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
The problem is that Canada's media monopoly exist in Toronto. No team outside of MTL has really developed any local sports network. This leads to all networks having to cover all teams, or at least break them up. If you don't realize, TSN covers MTL, Ottawa and Winnipeg more, and Sportsnet covers the 3 western franchises more. This is due to who controls the local broadcasting rights for each team. The Leafs are the only franchise where this is divided. Comparably, in many American markets, the team is covered by a regional sports network such as MSG, NESN, or a Fox Sports subsidiary. So, if you primarily want to hear about the Yankees, Red Sox, NFL, and Lebron, you can watch ESPN, or you can watch programming more tailored to your local market through the regional networks.

Other regions in Canada will bitch about it all they want. If they really have an issue with it, complain to your team's owner for selling the television rights rather than monetizing them through their own developments. We live in a country with 36 or so million people. 9 million of those people live within about 100km's of Toronto. That leads to distorted coverage focusing on Toronto. The same thing happens in all countries were one region is so disproportionally populated to the rest of the country. To put it in perspective, Southern Ontario makes up a larger population than the East Coast Megalopolis (Boston to Washington DC basically, encompassing New England, NYC it's suburbs, Philadelphia and their suburbs and the Washington, DC/Baltimore corridor) does of the American population. Then you get into the fact Canada is a bi-lingual society, which fragments coverage and separate news outlets for the francophone community to primarily cover news that happens in that region, you have Southern Ontario accounting for almost 1/3rd of the anglophone population.

The thing with the Leafs is, every broadcast is treated like a national broadcast instead of local. Now, that should get us a higher quality production (although Rogers hasn't picked up on that memo). Since it is covered instead by people who are trying to be national figures and not local reporters (and in many cases are hired in this context), they have to play neutral (everyone on TSN not named Hayes or O-Dog).

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
People searching and conjuring up every percieved slight that hughson allegedly makes are people who most likely watch infowars. And by the way, no one is forcing him to call leafs games, this is the pinacle for any hockey broadcasted to be calling leafs games on HNIC so I’m sure he would be pissed to not be calling those games.
He loves having the Hockey Night in Canada gig, but would absolutely prefer if the main Canadian game was the Vancouver one. It's pretty ridiculous the disparity in how Rogers and TSN treat the broadcasts. Both Hughson and Ray are Van based, but Hughson while Rogers "A" team broadcaster is only used on national broadcasts, while we get terrible "B" or "C" teams (previously Romanuk, and permanently that idiot Millen). It is a rarity for a TSN broadcast to not give us their "A" team color guy (Ferraro), and one of their two "A" team broadcasters. We get Noodles once is a blue moon and we got Beyak once because of the Olympics (and he is worlds better than Romanuk).

I get its to accommodate Hughson, but a requirement for being Rogers "A" team broadcast should be to work 95% of Leafs games they have.

Reactions: LeafsNation75

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto
Sadly, I'm currently doing just that. No idea what I'm going to listen to tomorrow all day as I drive.
I'll have to listen to Bobcat's roundtable.

Ferraro’s podcast? New episode came out yesterday

It’s only 1 hour long though

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad