TSN: Jack Johnson will not be suspended

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ice

Feb 13, 2004
As others have stated, I'm really surprised that JJ will not get a suspension. It is a poor decision that could lead to more series incidents if these teams meet again. Can you imagine what might happen if these teams meet again and the game falls out of reach for Canada. Nothing left but the justice that the IIHF dropped the ball on.

It probably would have been better for JJ if had got suspended because now he will only be more of a despised player. If he's only shooting to be another Hatcher or Domi I suppose that is fine but I thought he might be aiming a littler higher than that.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
onice said:
The IIHF made its ruling and there's nothing Canada can and should do about it. Live with it and move on. That's my advice to Downie. Blame is for god and little children.

But I'll tell you this smells of politics to me. Politics and money. When you look at the ticket prices and see that the games are barely sold out in Europe and that last year in N.D. it was mainly Canadians attending the majority of sold out games and that Canada gets the championship every third year you can start to piece together the picture.

U.S. has a population of over 300 million. That's a monster TV audience. IIHF is trying to sell this game to the Americans. Suspending Johnson gets in the way of that. That's why an American team that was at best on par with the Russians and Canadians was billed as the tournament favorite. The team to beat. Pandering to American nationalism. It's about money - plain and simple. The IIHF (like the NHL) is trying to capture the hearts and minds of America where there's big bucks to be had.

I'm not saying that was the sole reason for the decision but it sure came into play when those who**s sat around the table and made their decision.

You mean a tournament that has no relevance in the U.S. whatsoever and is being aired on tape delay on FOXN? Your post is one big conspiricy theory and has no merit. At worst this is a blown call.

Vic Rattlehead*

Bruwinz37 said:
No, you are not. I have been saying it was a blatant dive since it happened. I had it on TIVO and played it several times in super slo-mo and his head didnt even move when the elbow came up. It was such a delayed reaction it was silly. Everyone here is basing it all on emotion and what the blatantly bias TSN guys were screaming about. Johnson barely made contact if at all.

I've seen it a couple of times, and you can see that he does make contact, but not much.

Also, Johnson's intent was to injure Downie. Why should he get away with that? He should have been suspended one game, but unfortunately, Johnson will go away from this free. I don't see how anyone can condone this act.

richardn

Mar 6, 2004
Sault Ste. Marie
Wow I am shocked people on here actually think Johnson should have not been suspended. This is such a blatent cheap shot it is not even funny. It should have been a no brainer for a 2 game suspension or even removed from the rest of the tournament. I have lost a lot of respect for Jack Johnson now, to me he is starting to look like the next Gary Suter.

Bruwinz37

Feb 27, 2002
19bruins19 said:
I've seen it a couple of times, and you can see that he does make contact, but not much.

Also, Johnson's intent was toinjure Downie. Why should he get away with that? He should have been suspended one game, but unfortunately, Johnson will go away from this free. I don't see how anyone can condone this act.

I dont condone elbows, but at this point I think Downie's diving act is as unsportsmanlike as a missed elbow, even with ill intent. Downie was clearly embellishing this in order to get Johnson suspended. Anyone who stays down as long as he did would have a concussion. Where is the concussion story this morning? Neither play was admirable, but you cannot know if Johnson pulled back at the last second and THAT is why Downie isnt seeing double right now or not.

Vic Rattlehead*

Bruwinz37 said:
I dont condone elbows, but at this point I think Downie's diving act is as unsportsmanlike as a missed elbow, even with ill intent. Downie was clearly embellishing this in order to get Johnson suspended. Anyone who stays down as long as he did would have a concussion. Where is the concussion story this morning? Neither play was admirable, but you cannot know if Johnson pulled back at the last second and THAT is why Downie isnt seeing double right now or not.
I'm sorry, but Downie is not that type of player. Also, if Brent Sutter found out that Downie did such a thing, he would have been off the team the first thing in the morning.

Downie did not embellish. He really was hurt. He did not see the elbow coming.

Bruwinz37

Feb 27, 2002
19bruins19 said:
I'm sorry, but Downie is not that type of player. Also, if Brent Sutter found out that Downie did such a thing, he would have been off the team the first thing in the morning.

Downie did not embellish. He really was hurt. He did not see the elbow coming.

BS. As much as I dont like Downie, the guy will do whatever it takes to get his team to have an advantage. That is why he will be so succesful at the next level.

He most certainly did embellish that or he is a wuss because the hit barely touched him.

Pangolin

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
I don't think anyone can say for sure, but having watched him in Windsor...he's the type that if it really didn't hurt him, he would have went after JJ and tried to take him out...I can't see him acting like that...But maybe he changed.

I don't know how anyone can say that JJ doesn't even deserve a game at the very least...Doesn't matter if Downie slashed him or said anything to him, JJ is the one who crossed the line.

Habs Icing

Formerly Onice
Jan 17, 2004
Montreal
Rabid Ranger said:
You mean a tournament that has no relevance in the U.S. whatsoever and is being aired on tape delay on FOXN? Your post is one big conspiricy theory and has no merit. At worst this is a blown call.

You should read what I wrote. I said the IIHF is trying to sell this game to the Americans. You think they're shortsighted to think in terms of just this tournament. They're thinking in terms of 3, 4, 5 years down the line. They're trying to build goodwill with American nationalism.

What happened after the1980 Olympic gold? There was a small spike in American interest and then it died cause American hockey fell back to its level. The IIHF is basically a financial failure in Europe and that's why they've given Canada the tournament every 3 years. There's money to be made here and they're looking at the states as an even bigger cash cow if they can only convince the Americans that they can kick *** in hockey.

They had me convinced that this American team was invincible when really the cream of this year is Russia but there's no money in hyping the Russian team. And i know there's no TV coverage in the states. Like I said they're trying to build for the future.

The HW

Jan 27, 2005
To me, the worst thing about the elbow is that it occured after the whistle, right after the winning goal was scored. Johnson was catching up to the play, and as Downie passed the puck forward for a teammate to score, they exchanged a few minor slashes (initiated by Johnson from what I saw). No big deal. But after the goal, Johnson peeled off and tried to deliver a huge elbow to Downie's head. There needs to be a suspension for trying to decapitate a player, and the fact that it happened after a whistle should have made it for multiple games, IMO.

I don't care if he didn't catch him full on in the face, the intent was clearly there and the context is damning.

Personally, I have just about zero respect for Downie's game, and I really like Jack Johnson as a prospect. But in this case, there's absolutely no doubt as to who was in the wrong. The IIHF needs to review this one further.

Blind Gardien

nexus of the crisis
Apr 2, 2004
Four Winds Bar
canucksfan said:
I can't see Downie embellishing that. He wasn't expecting it and Downie is not a type of player that embellishes a hit.
Um...

I certainly wouldn't put it past Downie to do anything on the ice. Embellishing, diving, cheapshotting, taunting, he has done it all, and will again... and again and again. That's his game. Think Avery/Tucker, etc. Sure thing he's the type of player that would embellish if he saw some advantage from it.

That said, I'm not sure the timing and situation here logically suggest an embellishment. He'd more likely want to be yapping and celebrating the victory, no need to draw a penalty in that situation (and I don't think it runs through any player's head in the heat of embellishment to try to draw a suspension).

It's impossible for any of us to really know how solid the contact was, or how much - if at all - Downie was truly hurt, whether from a glancing blow (still very capable of dazing a player) or otherwise. The TSN camera angle I've seen is inconclusive, and nobody's opinion here of what they think they saw is worth anything to anybody else.

Bottom line, I'm all for letting boys be boys and sort it all out themselves if it comes to it. Dirty play by Johnson, and up there with Hunter and Domi type incidents that have drawn lengthy NHL suspensions in the past, but that doesn't necessarily mean the IIHF has to follow that same alarmist policy. My only complaint is the hypocrisy... if you allow this type of heat-of-the-moment reactionary play, which is marginally ok by me if nobody gets hurt, how do you justify suspending players for 2 games for fighting? :dunno:

Bruwinz37

Feb 27, 2002
onice said:
You should read what I wrote. I said the IIHF is trying to sell this game to the Americans. You think they're shortsighted to think in terms of just this tournament. They're thinking in terms of 3, 4, 5 years down the line. They're trying to build goodwill with American nationalism.

What happened after the1980 Olympic gold? There was a small spike in American interest and then it died cause American hockey fell back to its level. The IIHF is basically a financial failure in Europe and that's why they've given Canada the tournament every 3 years. There's money to be made here and they're looking at the states as an even bigger cash cow if they can only convince the Americans that they can kick *** in hockey.

They had me convinced that this American team was invincible when really the cream of this year is Russia but there's no money in hyping the Russian team. And i know there's no TV coverage in the states. Like I said they're trying to build for the future.

I like stories.

Bruwinz37

Feb 27, 2002
That said, I'm not sure the timing and situation here logically suggest an embellishment. He'd more likely want to be yapping and celebrating the victory, no need to draw a penalty in that situation (and I don't think it runs through any player's head in the heat of embellishment to try to draw a suspension).

He was trying to make the infraction seem much worse than it was to get Johnson suspended from the tournament so he would not be able to play in a medal round re-match where the Americans would not have to pull their goalie in a tie game.

Pangolin

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Bruwinz37 said:
I like stories.

Bruwinz37 said:
He was trying to make the infraction seem much worse than it was to get Johnson suspended from the tournament so he would not be able to play in a medal round re-match where the Americans would not have to pull their goalie in a tie game.

Ironic.

Letang fan 58

No More Fleury
May 12, 2004
Canada
Bruwinz37 said:
No, you are not. I have been saying it was a blatant dive since it happened. I had it on TIVO and played it several times in super slo-mo and his head didnt even move when the elbow came up. It was such a delayed reaction it was silly. Everyone here is basing it all on emotion and what the blatantly bias TSN guys were screaming about. Johnson barely made contact if at all.

He clearly made contact with Downie's head, wether a glancing blow, or a solid blow, it does not matter....talk all the crap about Downie you wish, he has also been one of canada's best players, he also had 2 assists vs the states and should be treated as if he was Phil Kessel on the states.

Why are you treating him as if he deserved to get a jack johnson elbow to the head? Whatever youve got against Steve Downie you need to get over it because its clearly a USA bias for you involved here.

Bruwinz37

Feb 27, 2002
phaneuf_fan_3 said:
He clearly made contact with Downie's head, wether a glancing blow, or a solid blow, it does not matter....talk all the crap about Downie you wish, he has also been one of canada's best players, he also had 2 assists vs the states and should be treated as if he was Phil Kessel on the states.

Why are you treating him as if he deserved to get a jack johnson elbow to the head? Whatever youve got against Steve Downie you need to get over it because its clearly a USA bias for you involved here.

In several threads I have said both that I dont condone elbows to the head and that Steve Downie is a good player who will do *whatever* it takes to win. People comparing this to Bertuzzi is just ridiculous. I have watched this play more than you, I can assure you that, and have found that there is no way he made any significant contact that would cause Downie to be on the ice like someone shot him. It is no bias at all friend, its just the truth.

Letang fan 58

No More Fleury
May 12, 2004
Canada
Bruwinz37 said:

It was clearly Downies fault that he got the elbow right? Jack Johnson had no part in trying to injure him at all :clap:

I hate that people forgive attempt to injure so easily these days, its sick. Same thing with the Bertuzzi incident, if steve moore doesnt get hurt do we not suspend Bertuzzi?

How about the Perezhogin stick swing? Do people not remember the other clown swinging his stick at perezhogins head seconds before? attempting to de capitate perezhogin and missing? so perezhogin connects and gets a year....guy who attempts to do EXACTLY the same thing gets only 4 games for INTENT? are you kidding me.

The key factor here is not wether Jack Johnson severely injures anyone, the key factor clearly should be INTENT. By all accounts the Intent was clearly there to injure a player.

IIHF Drops ball here big time. :help:

Blind Gardien

nexus of the crisis
Apr 2, 2004
Four Winds Bar
Bruwinz37 said:
And you are Downie's confessor, I presume? Like good conspiracy theories, it makes startlingly obvious good sense in hindsight, but it doesn't seem logical that it could really play out like that in the heat of the moment. Did you watch the game live? I would love to think that Downie was that brilliant and forward-thinking, but, having seen enough of Downie in the OHL for the last couple of years, I can't honestly credit him for that much foresight. :D Clever move by him, if true, and pulled off in a fashion truly worthy of Oscar recognition. I just can't personally give Downie that much credit, myself.

Anyway, hopefully the IIHF doesn't look into it any further and this is a sign that they are adopting a more lenient approach to aggressive and borderline-dirty hockey. If that's the case, it will just ultimately play to Canada's advantage. In most contests of flying elbows and late hits, I think Canada can handle itself pretty well. ;)

Bruwinz37

Feb 27, 2002
Pangolin said:

Hmm...really?

Well you must have seen the replays, right? There must have been a match penalty involved, right? The concussion though...oh there was none? Surely the IIHF after further review will suspend him.....no you say?!!?

What in your opinion is more of a likely scenario: Downie embellished the whole thing in order to get Team USA's best defenseman out of the tourney or that the IIHF has delusions that the United States is going to, in any sort of way, embrace Junior/International hockey so they dont give the US guy a suspension.

Do tell.

Letang fan 58

No More Fleury
May 12, 2004
Canada
Bruwinz37 said:

There is and was no need to make the infraction seem worse than it was.....did you not watch it? the attempt to seriously injure a kid was written all over it. This is why Jack Johnson was left off the team last year, kid is known for taking dumb penalties and cant control his anger issues.

Pangolin

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Bruwinz37 said:
Hmm...really?

Well you must have seen the replays, right? There must have been a match penalty involved, right? The concussion though...oh there was none? Surely the IIHF after further review will suspend him.....no you say?!!?

What in your opinion is more of a likely scenario: Downie embellished the whole thing in order to get Team USA's best defenseman out of the tourney or that the IIHF has delusions that the United States is going to, in any sort of way, embrace Junior/International hockey so they dont give the US guy a suspension.

Do tell.

The story you're telling is that Downie is embelishing the whole thing. You have absolutely no prove of it at all. Maybe it's more likely in your opinion, I don't think anyone can think that fast. Maybe you keep watching the replay and think that's the speed it happened, it's not. I don't know how saying Downie embellishing an injury without any prove is not a "story".

Letang fan 58

No More Fleury
May 12, 2004
Canada
Pangolin said:
The story you're telling is that Downie is embelishing the whole thing. You have absolutely no prove of it at all. Maybe it's more likely in your opinion, I don't think anyone can think that fast. Maybe you keep watching the replay and think that's the speed it happened, it's not. I don't know how saying Downie embellishing an injury without any prove is not a "story".

I agree, Downie is lucky as hell that he didnt get severely hurt in that fiasco, maybe he stayed on the ice longer than usual thinking holy crap I am so freaking happy to be alive at this point when some moron tried to take my freaking head off.

Bruwinz37

Feb 27, 2002
Blind Gardien said:
And you are Downie's confessor, I presume? Like good conspiracy theories, it makes startlingly obvious good sense in hindsight, but it doesn't seem logical that it could really play out like that in the heat of the moment. Did you watch the game live? ;)

A few things. Yes, I did watch the game live. Second, I watched the replay several times in super slo-mo and Johnson did not make any real contact that would cause the injury that Downie appeared to have sustained.

If you dont think that the unscrupulous Downie could have thought that quickly then you are short changing him. Again, watch the replay. Most elbows to the head would result in the head moving back and the player falling that way. In this instance of suspended physics Downie actually skates forward a stride and then goes to the ice.

The head should be going BACK AND TO THE RIGHT....BACK AND TO THE RIGHT!! :biglaugh:

Bruwinz37

Feb 27, 2002
Pangolin said:

Please then address why:

It wasnt a match penalty.

No suspensions were issued after video replay by the IIHF.

Downie has no concussion.

Mine is a theory based on review of the tape and the above stated. Seems most people here are basing their opinion on overblown patriotism and the maniacal rants of whoever was on TSN overreacting to the whole situation.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad