TSN: Jack Johnson will not be suspended

Status
Not open for further replies.

Metallian*

Dec 27, 2005
WCR said:
Wishing a cheap-shot on a player - how very mature :shakehead

Anyone who forces 16 year olds to strip naked and crowd them in a room, and haze them in other ways as well deserves one thing. Picking a fight with a 16 year old and cracking out their teeth with a stick during a practise is another.

Downie deserves what he gets. I'd personally end his career if I were in his league.

jaydub*

Metallian said:
Anyone who forces 16 year olds to strip naked and crowd them in a room, and haze them in other ways as well deserves one thing. Picking a fight with a 16 year old and cracking out their teeth with a stick during a practise is another.

Downie deserves what he gets. I'd personally end his career if I were in his league.

after reading about what downie did, i would have to agree with you.

BCCHL inactive

Metallian said:

For your information, the rookie picked the fight with Downie. I'm not condoning the hazing that took place, but that's a coaching problem, and Windsor fired Moe Mantha and Downie got traded. That, and if you think it was just Downie involved in hazing the rookies, you should think again. All the veterans on the team were in on it. That's just what happens in junior hockey.

Besides, I highly doubt Jack Johnson tried to injure Downie because of the hazing incident in Windsor. Johnson did it out of a loss of temper after his team had lost the game.

Downie's character in the OHL should have absolutely nothing to do with this incident.

Rotting Corpse*

Sep 20, 2003
Kelowna, BC
Cletus_the_Pig_Fetus said:
After reading all 10 pages of this . . .entertaining post, I just wanted to say a few things, some of which have already been said.

1) The way in which Downie plays the game shouldn't have anything to do with any punishment to the other guy. If he's been slashing another player all game, he should have been penalized then and there. However, we've clearly seen incidents in which past actions have influenced the officials decision (ie Kovalev and Riberio). Should the way Downie plays be a factor when he goes down? No. Is it a factor? Probably.

2) Who cares how skilled a player is if he starts playing an unskilled game? Jack Johnson is an exceptional defenseman, but is he really that exceptional if his biggest moment in the game was an elbow aimed at someone's head? I guess an analogy would be if a guy like Lidstrom or Niedermyer started playing like Marchment. Yes they are world class players, but if they aren't playing like it, then who wants to watch them.

3) Playing in the WJC IS the chance of a lifetime. It would be a shame to take the experience away from anybody. The question is, does a player who tries to take theat experience away from someone deserve to be there? All rhetoric aside, an elbow to the head has one purpose - to take someone out, be it for the game or longer. Is a player throwing elbows at heads more deserving to play at the WJC than an irritating one? I guess that's up for discussion.

4) The most disturbing thing about the elbow was that it happend after the play, 10 feet away from the puck. Whether or not the hit connected is irrelevant. When the elbow was thrown, the puck was in the net, the play was clearly over, and the game was also arugably decided. I don't think it matters whether or not it fully connected, or if Downie embellished it. It was somthing that wouldn't realistically have affected the outcome of the game, and was clearly something that wasn't in the "heat of the moment."

Downie plays a game that is intended to get under people's skin. I don't personally like it, but until a league decides it's illegal I don't see how it could be used as justification for a deliberate elbow to the head.

The only people that know without a shadow of a doubt why this decision was made are the people that made it. Enough with these conspiracy theories concerning National politics and money. We could argue for months without anyone convincing anyone else.

:handclap: The thread should just end right there.

C-J...*

If a european had done this, he´d be out atleast a game. There are different rules for Northamericans and Europeans, what else is new.

Crosbyfan

Nov 27, 2003
Starshollow said:
If a european had done this, he´d be out atleast a game. There are different rules for Northamericans and Europeans, what else is new.

I don't know if this is true or not but this is what happens when officials in any sport are not consistent. Referees can have a bad game and miss calls but when the evidence is in front of the IIHF and they choose to overlook it the game suffers.

Hopefully if a European does the same thing he will be suspended.

That doesn't sound very nice though, does it?

Not after the IIHF fumbles the ball. But for some reason they did.

Bob Clarke Fan Club

Feb 14, 2003
Visit site
Metallian said:

You'd be 1st in line at the bathroom door with the lube kit in hand. :biglaugh:

jaydub*

Van said:
For your information, the rookie picked the fight with Downie. I'm not condoning the hazing that took place, but that's a coaching problem, and Windsor fired Moe Mantha and Downie got traded. That, and if you think it was just Downie involved in hazing the rookies, you should think again. All the veterans on the team were in on it. That's just what happens in junior hockey.

Besides, I highly doubt Jack Johnson tried to injure Downie because of the hazing incident in Windsor. Johnson did it out of a loss of temper after his team had lost the game.

Downie's character in the OHL should have absolutely nothing to do with this incident.

from what i've heard, the rookie and downie argued. then downie came up to him and cross checked him in the mouth. then the rookie was "allowed" by the team to fight him. he was also hazed by downie and others.

missinthejets

Dec 24, 2005
Downie's actions, character and basically anything to do with him are irrelevant in this discussion. The fact is Johnson took a cheapshot at a guys head after the play. Nothing else matters, Johnson did the deed and should have been punished for it.

allcar67

Jul 11, 2002
Visit site
Jorge Garcia said:
Most high sticks are accidental. Those that are not usually draw a severe penalty. It should not be forgotten that Johnson's elbow was delivered in a fit of temper after the play was over. It was not a hockey play. It was a clear and obvious attempt to injure, with no excuse or mitigating circumstances at all.

The goal was scored but I don't think that either Johnson or Downie viewed the play as over. If I recall correctly, neither player was looking at the net and Downie was not celebrating the goal. He may not have been expecting an elbow but I don't think he was expecting the play to end quietly either.

As for high sticks being unintentional -- I can't believe that a player doesn't know when his stick is above somebody else's shoulders. The puck is at the players' feet; why shouldn't the stick always be on the ice (except for deflections around the net in which case it should be below the crossbar which is below most (all?) players' shoulders.

Johnson's play was a punky, thuggish type move but I just don't think it warranted a suspension. Nobody deserves to be injured on a play like that but a guy like Johnson shouldn't be so villified either.

Bytown

Mar 8, 2003
allcar67 said:
The goal was scored but I don't think that either Johnson or Downie viewed the play as over. If I recall correctly, neither player was looking at the net and Downie was not celebrating the goal. He may not have been expecting an elbow but I don't think he was expecting the play to end quietly either.

As for high sticks being unintentional -- I can't believe that a player doesn't know when his stick is above somebody else's shoulders. The puck is at the players' feet; why shouldn't the stick always be on the ice (except for deflections around the net in which case it should be below the crossbar which is below most (all?) players' shoulders.

Johnson's play was a punky, thuggish type move but I just don't think it warranted a suspension. Nobody deserves to be injured on a play like that but a guy like Johnson shouldn't be so villified either.

Yes he should have been susp 2 games.

allcar67

Jul 11, 2002
Visit site
jaydog2005 said:
Yes he should have been susp 2 games.

In your opinion. In mine, it should have been a 5 minute penalty for elbowing and a game misconduct. In other people's, he should have been given a medal.

missinthejets

Dec 24, 2005
allcar67 said:
In your opinion. In mine, it should have been a 5 minute penalty for elbowing and a game misconduct.

if it was during the play perhaps, but the fact that it was after a goal was scored and the game essentially ended makes it much, much worse.

USA!

Dec 26, 2004
Yes that was a cheap hit, but if it came down to Jack dropping the gloves with neone from Canada I m sure he will be happy to. I really would like to see Canada and the US again and see how Jack would respond. One thing is I can almost bet Jack would throw bombs with neone from team Canada no questions asked.

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
You won't have to worry about retribution... no way USA makes it to the gold medal game... they're proving once again that in the game of hockey, it takes more than individual talent to win.

Looks like all the rumors of poor team chemistry are ringing true - bet they don't even beat the Czechs today

As long as hockey fans keep condoning dirty play and excusing it, we will continue to see crap plays like Saturday's... one day someone's going to die from something like this.

If people can excuse what Bertuzzi did to Moore, you know people will forgive anything in support of thier team. Canada can whine all we want, but the fact that Bertuzzi is on the Olympic team just goes to show that even Wayne Gretzky has something to learn about teaching values in hockey. Don't get me wrong, I play defence, and don't mind mucking it up at all... I enjoy that part of the game, but I would never try to hurt someone in such a cheap and dirty way

NBHABSFAN

Mar 17, 2004
Ottawa
missinthejets said:
if it was during the play perhaps, but the fact that it was after a goal was scored and the game essentially ended makes it much, much worse.

You make a good point. Funny if he would have dropped the gloves and fought he would be suspended.

Gutchecktime

Dec 24, 2005
Johnson's play was a punky, thuggish type move but I just don't think it warranted a suspension.

If it was a "thug type move" then it deserves to be suspended. Especially in a tournament where they suspend for fighting.

Flying elbows? Come on, its a no brainer. Fortunately for the US, this tournament is usually influenced by money and politics, and sitting Johnson, who will arguably be one of the biggest keys to the USA's success, along with Erik, may prevent the huge revenues that would result from a USA/Canada match-up.

The fact that it wasn't even reviewed is very suspicious.

BackToTheBrierePatch

Nope not today.
Feb 19, 2003
Concord, New Hampshire
Metallian said:
sounds about fair. Team Canada got away with attacking the entire Norwegian team with 6 seconds left, and one guy was being attacked after he was down. If they turned a blind eye to the Canadians there, it's only fair that Johnson gets the same treatment.

Besides, Downie had it coming. The guys a creep.

had it coming?
fine whatever. 2 wrongs dont make a right.
:shakehead
i cant believe people need to make comments like that

Letang fan 58

No More Fleury
May 12, 2004
Canada
Macman said:
I can think of a few reasons why they didn't ask for a review:

1. Why give the Americans any extra motivation in the event of a rematch.

2. Sutter's a tough nut. Maybe he thinks it's all just part of the game.

3. Maybe Canada prefers to let an already tired Johnson play an extra game instead of giving him a day off for a game the Americans will likely win anyway.

4. Maybe Canada wants to use it as motivation in the event of a rematch.

Please, enough with the conspiracy theories. You've gone from Downie embellishing the hit to Hockey Canada and even TSN helping cover up that embellishment.

I agree with your reasoning to not send in the tape, another reason is that he didnt want the canadian kids questioned about the elbow constantly either im sure.

However in reality he shouldnt have needed to worry about jack johnson being more rested for the other games as johnson should have been out for the tourney. :clap:

Metallian*

Dec 27, 2005
Van said:

Akim did not pick the fight, it was instigated by Downie. Get your facts straight. If you honestly think they were both responsible for the fight, then I suggest you find a more valid source of information on this event.

Just because other veterans were involved, does that justify the sickening events that took place? Does it justify knocking a kids teeth out? There's a reason why the coach was fired, why Downie was traded out of there. The guys a thug; a cancer.

Fact is, Downie has a history of unacceptable behavior, and this is primarily why he was drafted in the 1st round by the Flyers. Lets be real here.

Downie is nothing more than a criminal in skates.

Bob Clarke Fan Club

Feb 14, 2003
Visit site
Metallian said:
Akim did not pick the fight, it was instigated by Downie. Get your facts straight. If you honestly think they were both responsible for the fight, then I suggest you find a more valid source of information on this event.

Just because other veterans were involved, does that justify the sickening events that took place? Does it justify knocking a kids teeth out? There's a reason why the coach was fired, why Downie was traded out of there. The guys a thug; a cancer.

Fact is, Downie has a history of unacceptable behavior, and this is primarily why he was drafted in the 1st round by the Flyers. Lets be real here.

Although I don't share your view of the Windsor affair, you have a right to your opinion, however uninformed it may be. Downie has been nothing but a solid two way player for his Country at this tourney. He'll also translate into a good two way player in Philly...The Flyers also drafted Gagne, Richards and Carter with first round picks, we're they drafted because of their "criminal upside" as well. :biglaugh:

taunting canadian

Jan 3, 2005
Starshollow said:

No, it is now quite clear that all IIHF officials are biased against Canadians... :biglaugh:

missinthejets

Dec 24, 2005
Metallian said:

but again, Downie's character or past actions have nothing to do with this incident.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->