TSN: Jack Johnson will not be suspended

Status
Not open for further replies.

missinthejets

Dec 24, 2005
Don't even start trying to blame Downie for what happened. Yeah so maybe the guy is a **** disturber, and maybe he gave Johnson a little whack (but honestly, how many times a game do you see guys giving other players a whack? nearly every play), and maybe he was even chirping away about winning, but that does not mean what Johnson did was ok. Johnson took a blatant shot at the guys head after the goal was scored, that kind of crap has no place in hockey and the IIHF screwed up badly if they don't send a message.

Daily Special

Oct 4, 2005
San Francisco
missinthejets said:
Don't even start trying to blame Downie for what happened. Yeah so maybe the guy is a **** disturber, and maybe he gave Johnson a little whack (but honestly, how many times a game do you see guys giving other players a whack? nearly every play), and maybe he was even chirping away about winning, but that does not mean what Johnson did was ok. Johnson took a blatant shot at the guys head after the goal was scored, that kind of crap has no place in hockey and the IIHF screwed up badly if they don't send a message.

Again, it wasn't like it was a repeat of the Bertuzzi incident. I don't see what all the fuss is about.

BCCHL inactive

Siberian said:
IIHF did an absolutely right thing, JJ should not be suspended. They obviously reviewed the tape and saw what Downey did prior to that. Good decidion (And I am Russia's fan, I would like to face full-roster americans in the semifinal, of course if they get past czechs).

What did Downie do? Give Johnson a love tap? Johnson tried to take his head off, and damn near succeeded. As mentioned, what Bertuzzi did was also in retaliation, but that didn't make it right, now did it?

I have to disagree with Bob Mackenzie as well. I want to see the best teams with the best players, but only if they respect their opponents. Jack Johnson crossed that line. He doesn't deserve to play in this tournament any longer, imo.

Tie Domi did the exact same thing to Scott Niedermayer a few years ago in the playoffs, and he got 8 games.

phaneuf_fan_3 said:
For a rules commitee that suspends players for letting gloves fall of hands and push each other, how can we not give this kid a suspension?

:clap:

therealdeal

Apr 22, 2005
If Downie did that to Johnson or Kessel or a big name American he would have been suspended. Its just a poor decision on the part of the disciplinary committee.

hockeyfan125

Jul 10, 2004
this is why I think the politics of it all are screwed...

players should be punished for the action... not the result.

Bertuzzi cheapshots Moore, breaks his vertebrae, gets kicked out for a while.

Johnson cheapshots Downie, but doesn't fully connect, and gets nothing.

I realize Bertuzzi had talked previous to the incident about retribution, and his was way, way worse, but I still feel that the result is being punished more than the action.

Tricolore#20

PK PK PK
Jul 24, 2003
Toronto
Visit site
Devilsfanatic said:
It goes back to what Gretzky said in 02 when Hamrlik decked Fleury at the end of the Canada/Czech game.....if a Canadian did it, it'd be bloody murder.........I say the IIHF has definite Canadian bias.

I have a hard time believing that. At the Worlds last spring, Rick Nash could easily have been suspended for a game or more for putting his stick on an official. He ended up with nothing.

ZombieMatt

May 20, 2002
I think this is just asking for something worse to happen down the road if these two teams meet again. The IIHF needs to step up and make it clear to the teams that it is willing to protect the players. If they are not willing to make sure that they send the message that this kind of cheap shot is completely and entirely unacceptable with severe sanctions (suspensions), I am concerned that players may start to start some vigilante-type justice.

Also, it concerns me that there is an apparent double standard. I don't think many would deny that if Downie had done it to Johnson, he would have been suspended.

Phanuthier*

Matt MacInnis said:
I think this is just asking for something worse to happen down the road if these two teams meet again.
Agreed (no that isn't it, I'm going somewhere with this)

Matt MacInnis said:
I am concerned that players may start to start some vigilante-type justice.
In a short tournament, I think you'll see players keep their game in check. There's too much on the line to look for retribution, so no I don't think this is too big of an issue.

Even still, not suspending JJ is sending the wrong message.

Matt MacInnis said:
Also, it concerns me that there is an apparent double standard. I don't think many would deny that if Downie had done it to Johnson, he would have been suspended.
Disagree, I don't think this is a double standard at all. They're kids, and it would be unfortunate for them - even though they did something stupid - to take the oppertunity away from them to play in a world class event like the WJC.

CBass

Aug 29, 2005
I gotta say, Im actually pretty shocked to see people here saying the IIHF did the right thing in not suspending Johnson.

If you watch the replay, Johnson and Downie are both using their sticks as they come up the ice. But they are little taps, then Johnson crosses in front and throws a flying elbow to the head.

The official made the wrong call, this should have been a match penalty along with a 1 game suspension.

If in the referees opinion at least two of the Criteria below have been met, then the player must be assessed a Match Penalty:

The player being elbowed has been injured
The amount of force used is excessive
The elbowing player’s speed is excessive prior to impact
The player being elbowed is not able to protect himself
The player being elbowed is not aware of the elbow
The elbowing player did change direction prior to delivering the elbow
The elbowing player body language was aggressive

Now that is supposed to be the criteria for IIHF officials in determining whether an elbow warrants a match penalty.

Downie, went down and was clearly dazed ... but "injured"? Ok Ill give that one to him. Excessive force? Ok, I'll say no. Was Downie able to protect himself? Nope. Was Downie aware of the elbow? Nope. Did Johnson change direction prior to delivering the elbow? Yes, he turned to go infront of Downie so he could do it. Was Johnson's body language aggressive? If you say no, you need glasses.

That is 4 met criteria, in my opinion. Which means match penalty which in IIHF Tournaments comes with an automatic minimum 1 game suspension.

Daily Special

Oct 4, 2005
San Francisco
CBass said:
I gotta say, Im actually pretty shocked to see people here saying the IIHF did the right thing in not suspending Johnson.

If you watch the replay, Johnson and Downie are both using their sticks as they come up the ice. But they are little taps, then Johnson crosses in front and throws a flying elbow to the head.

The official made the wrong call, this should have been a match penalty along with a 1 game suspension.

If in the referees opinion at least two of the Criteria below have been met, then the player must be assessed a Match Penalty:

The player being elbowed has been injured
The amount of force used is excessive
The elbowing player’s speed is excessive prior to impact
The player being elbowed is not able to protect himself
The player being elbowed is not aware of the elbow
The elbowing player did change direction prior to delivering the elbow
The elbowing player body language was aggressive

Now that is supposed to be the criteria for IIHF officials in determining whether an elbow warrants a match penalty.

Downie, went down and was clearly dazed ... but "injured"? Ok Ill give that one to him. Excessive force? Ok, I'll say no. Was Downie able to protect himself? Nope. Was Downie aware of the elbow? Nope. Did Johnson change direction prior to delivering the elbow? Yes, he turned to go infront of Downie so he could do it. Was Johnson's body language aggressive? If you say no, you need glasses.

That is 4 met criteria, in my opinion. Which means match penalty which in IIHF Tournaments comes with an automatic minimum 1 game suspension.

Where did you get that list from? Link?

And who said "player must be assessed a Match Penalty"?. I would think that would up to their discretion.

-

krt88

Jun 19, 2002
Fayetteville, NC
cybionscape.com
I'm an American fan and I saw the incident and I am stunned he isn't kicked out of the torunament because he should be. There is no place in hockey for cheap shots like that. I'd like the IIHF to explain why he faces no more discipline action after seeing that situation!

IcedTea

Sep 29, 2005
The IIHF rulebook says that an attempt to injure is a match penalty. That elbow was an attemp to injure. That's all there is to it, really.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
deandebean said:
Downie is not a saint. The IIHF made the right call. It does not warrant a suspension.

Then you didn't watch. It's that simple.

Honestly, I feel bad for all the people who think Jack Johnson should NOT be suspended. God forbid if this happened to one of Canada's top players, everyone would be nailing Jack Johnson to the cross. It's amazing how far some people will take their bias.

:shakehead

Last edited:

Raging Bull

Present
Jan 25, 2004
Hamilton, ONT
This elbow is exactly like the Domi/Neidermayer elbow and IMO, deserves a severe suspension. Slashing and chirping is part of the game, and if you have a problem with it, slash and chirp back, don't throw a ****ing flying elbow at someone who has no idea it is comming.

I am hoping that Jack Johnson and the U.S.A squad face Canada in the gold medal round now, because this incident has definatley fired up a Canadian squad. I just hope Downie is alright because he is a pretty big cog in this team.

Another thing that pissed my off is that, even though they determine these things before the last minute of the game, why in the hell was Jack Johnson named player of the game for U.S.A? That is like a big slap in the face the Canadian hockey IMO. Disgusting.

Habs Icing

Formerly Onice
Jan 17, 2004
Montreal
The IIHF made its ruling and there's nothing Canada can and should do about it. Live with it and move on. That's my advice to Downie. Blame is for god and little children.

But I'll tell you this smells of politics to me. Politics and money. When you look at the ticket prices and see that the games are barely sold out in Europe and that last year in N.D. it was mainly Canadians attending the majority of sold out games and that Canada gets the championship every third year you can start to piece together the picture.

U.S. has a population of over 300 million. That's a monster TV audience. IIHF is trying to sell this game to the Americans. Suspending Johnson gets in the way of that. That's why an American team that was at best on par with the Russians and Canadians was billed as the tournament favorite. The team to beat. Pandering to American nationalism. It's about money - plain and simple. The IIHF (like the NHL) is trying to capture the hearts and minds of America where there's big bucks to be had.

I'm not saying that was the sole reason for the decision but it sure came into play when those who**s sat around the table and made their decision.

Macman

May 15, 2004
Why is everyone surprised the IIHF got it wrong? Afterall, the ref gave Johnson a major for KNEEING.

Macman

May 15, 2004
Rush5Collapse5 said:
Again, it wasn't like it was a repeat of the Bertuzzi incident. I don't see what all the fuss is about.

What's it take to become a fuss in your estimation? A broken neck or jaw? Concussion? Death? Johnson's elbow was every bit as nasty as Bertuzzi's hit from behind. Maybe even worse since he used an elbow encased in hard plastic instead of a gloved fist. The intent in both cases was retribution, maybe even to injure. The only difference last night was Johnson was lucky enough not to have succeeded.

You can seriously injure someone when you do what Johnson did, and the punishment should reflect that. It shouldn't be mitigated by whether or not he actually managed to maim a guy.

Last edited:

TK79

Jul 5, 2002
Helsinki, Finland
Visit site
Devilsfanatic said:
It goes back to what Gretzky said in 02 when Hamrlik decked Fleury at the end of the Canada/Czech game.....if a Canadian did it, it'd be bloody murder.........I say the IIHF has definite Canadian bias.

Thats a load of crap. Rick Nash didn't get suspended when he put his hands on a offical at last years World Championships. Neither did Rob Neidermayer after he rammed Peter Forsberg head first into the boards from behind in the 2004 World Championship final. There are several other examples I could name..

Tuggy

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2003
Saint John
So if this happened in the NHL would the player be suspended? I would have to see yes. So Jack Johnson gets a grand total of 33 seconds in the box for trying to take a player out of the tournment with a blatent cheap shot. So basically the message here from the IIHF is "Well you didn't hit him square with your cheapshot elbow so it's OK"...ya that'll teach the ***** Johnson from doing it again :shakehead

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
First of all, it's shame something like this had to happen at the conclusion of a really great game. That being said, Johnson deserved a game, strictly for intent, but he got away with one, and that's the way it is in hockey on occasion (who would have though Darcy Tucker wouldn't have been suspended for beating Cam Janssen with his helmet?!?!?). As for possible retaliation, I'd like to give Downie (who's no angel himself) and the Canadian team some credit here. Their focus is on winning the gold, not running around after Jack Johnson, who they'll only see in the gold medal game anyway. As for Johnson, no excuses but he plays with a definate edge. He did this kind of thing in the U18's last year, and was kicked out of a game. The U.S. still managed the gold. The good news for the U.S. is Johnson (who has logged a ton of ice time) is not suspended and their quarterfinal matchup (Czech Republic) looks very winnable. I'm still confident the U.S. can do well here.

Last edited:

Bruwinz37

Feb 27, 2002
hillbilly said:
Am I the only one that thinks Downie looked to be embellishing a bit. The ONLY reason I say this is because of how he fell. The angle he fell at was a bit odd if he'd been hit as hard as we are to believe he was hit.

No, you are not. I have been saying it was a blatant dive since it happened. I had it on TIVO and played it several times in super slo-mo and his head didnt even move when the elbow came up. It was such a delayed reaction it was silly. Everyone here is basing it all on emotion and what the blatantly bias TSN guys were screaming about. Johnson barely made contact if at all.

Bruwinz37

Feb 27, 2002
canucksfan said:
Could someone explain to me, how he asked for it? If it was for the slash like 3 seconds before Johnson slashed him first and then Downie slashed him back. Both of the slashes weren't that hard.

Perhaps you shoudl watch again. Johnson really didnt slash him at all but Downie gave him a two hander which he wound up on it and got him right in the hamstrings. That is what prompted Johnson to throw the elbow that didnt even really connect.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad