TSN: Jack Johnson will not be suspended

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bruwinz37

Feb 27, 2002
phaneuf_fan_3 said:
I agree, Downie is lucky as hell that he didnt get severely hurt in that fiasco, maybe he stayed on the ice longer than usual thinking holy crap I am so freaking happy to be alive at this point when some moron tried to take my freaking head off.

Of course this MUST be it. :biglaugh:

Letang fan 58

No More Fleury
May 12, 2004
Canada
Bruwinz37 said:
Of course this MUST be it. :biglaugh:

LMFAO what I love is how your reaction would be so totally different if this hit was on Phil Kessel :biglaugh:

How can you possibly say what it takes to injure a player? are you the judge of exactly how hard the hit must be and exactly what position the hit must be from and to for causing the biggest injury?

And how can you possibly not see INTENT here? thats my number one question to you? you can say all the crap you like but the intent was all over this busch league move by Johnson and you clearly keep ignoring that because there is no possible argument for it.

Pangolin

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Bruwinz37 said:
Please then address why:

It wasnt a match penalty.

No suspensions were issued after video replay by the IIHF.

Downie has no concussion.

Mine is a theory based on review of the tape and the above stated. Seems most people here are basing their opinion on overblown patriotism and the maniacal rants of whoever was on TSN overreacting to the whole situation.

The decision of the referee and IIHF are under question, you're begging the question if you use the questionable conclusion as your premise. Basic logic.

Downie with no concussion also doesn't mean that JJ didn't connect with the elbow. And I've never seen a chart that shows how long a person must be down if someone gets a concussion...
Time down is not a consistent indicator of how injured someone is.

Bruwinz37

Feb 27, 2002
LMFAO what I love is how your reaction would be so totally different if this hit was on Phil Kessel :biglaugh:

Believe it or not I watch this tourney to see the top prospects play. If Team USA wins or not it is not a big deal for me. I want to just see the exciting hockey.

How can you possibly say what it takes to injure a player? are you the judge of exactly how hard the hit must be and exactly what position the hit must be from and to for causing the biggest injury?

I am giving you my opinion based on what I saw and the results that followed (ie-no suspension).

And how can you possibly not see INTENT here? thats my number one question to you? you can say all the crap you like but the intent was all over this busch league move by Johnson and you clearly keep ignoring that because there is no possible argument for it.

I am not sure if you have a bad hangover or what, but you have asked me about intent and condoning this action in a couple different threads now. Let me CLEARLY state for you that I do not condone the actions of EITHER player. Johnson clearly initially went to cheap shot him. He didnt connect though and Downie's dive, while trying to help eliminate an opponent from the tourney, was just as disgraceful as the elbow itself.

Get it yet?

Bruwinz37

Feb 27, 2002
gobolt7 said:
I am pretty sure a majority of the people here think it should have been a match penalty.

Apparently none of them are standing members of the IIHF or officiated last night's game.

I have no problem with a lot of Canadian fans getting worked up over it, but truth be told there are more and more people (reading other threads on other boards) that have come to grips with the fact that he embellished. Its ok to admit that you might have been wrong about the whole thing initially. Good to see some people doing so.

Habs Icing

Formerly Onice
Jan 17, 2004
Montreal
Bruwinz37 said:
Believe it or not I watch this tourney to see the top prospects play. If Team USA wins or not it is not a big deal for me. I want to just see the exciting hockey.

I am giving you my opinion based on what I saw and the results that followed (ie-no suspension).

I am not sure if you have a bad hangover or what, but you have asked me about intent and condoning this action in a couple different threads now. Let me CLEARLY state for you that I do not condone the actions of EITHER player. Johnson clearly initially went to cheap shot him. He didnt connect though and Downie's dive, while trying to help eliminate an opponent from the tourney, was just as disgraceful as the elbow itself.

Get it yet?

You claim to have seen the play. Where did you see the play?

Letang fan 58

No More Fleury
May 12, 2004
Canada
Bruwinz37 said:
Let me CLEARLY state for you that I do not condone the actions of EITHER player. Johnson clearly initially went to cheap shot him. He didnt connect though and Downie's dive, while trying to help eliminate an opponent from the tourney, was just as disgraceful as the elbow itself.

Get it yet?

OK so you CLEARLY dont condone the Flying elbow, however you dont see the intent as enough for a suspension, thats even better. :biglaugh:

and yet you compare trying to decapitate someone with just laying on the ice not harming anyone :biglaugh:

seriously though, you have entirely missed the boat here at least in my opinion, and i suspect in many others opinions as well.

SammyTheBull

Dec 1, 2005
GregStack said:
Why do you hope there is no retalitation? I hope to god that Downie submarines Johnson in the next game and then stomps on his shooting hands wrist. Jack Johnson should be a marked man in the next game, and I hope to God the retalitation is only on him, and not to a guy like Kessel (as I brought up in my last post), or Skille, or anyone else. We all know the IIHF frowns on fighting, but they seem to love the dirty s**t.

Maybe then the IIHF will see the error of their ways, and take issues seriously.

I truly believe a career ending injury is the only way the IIHF gets the picture, sadly, it would probably have to happen to a Russian or a Swede before they decided to take it seriously.The IIHF doesn't care about North Americans.

I agree.

gobolt7

Sep 24, 2003
Florida.
Bruwinz37 said:
Apparently none of them are standing members of the IIHF or officiated last night's game.

And that is the problem right there, based on intent alone, he should sit out one game, REGARDLESS of how much contact was actually made.

Bruwinz37

Feb 27, 2002
Pangolin said:
The decision of the referee and IIHF are under question, you're begging the question if you use the questionable conclusion as your premise. Basic logic.

Downie with no concussion also doesn't mean that JJ didn't connect with the elbow. And I've never seen a chart that shows how long a person must be down if someone gets a concussion...
Time down is not a consistent indicator of how injured someone is.

So lets be clear. Is it your point of view that Downie, in no way embellished. That Johnson caught him flush with a viscious elbow? That the IIHF did not suspend Johnson because of some massive cover up in order to garner more fans to Junior hockey? Please take a stand instead of telling me that I am wrong. What do you actually think is the case.

Habs Icing

Formerly Onice
Jan 17, 2004
Montreal
Bruwinz37 said:
So lets be clear. Is it your point of view that Downie, in no way embellished. That Johnson caught him flush with a viscious elbow? That the IIHF did not suspend Johnson because of some massive cover up in order to garner more fans to Junior hockey? Please take a stand instead of telling me that I am wrong. What do you actually think is the case.

I ask you again where did you see the play?

Bruwinz37

Feb 27, 2002
onice said:
You claim to have seen the play. Where did you see the play?

TV, where the heck do you think I saw it? I saw what everyone else saw. I have it on TIVO and replayed it back no less than 10 times to see the severity of it.

Letang fan 58

No More Fleury
May 12, 2004
Canada
Bruwinz37 said:

You know what, WHO CARES if he embellished the whole thing? Honestly NO ONE cares. The point of the entire argument is the intent that Jack Johnson had to hurt someone. I dont know how to state this any better or more clearly so that you will understand it.

People dont get suspended for embellishing hits, trips, high sticks, or anything else, this has never happened before and never will.

People do however get suspended for trying to decapitate people.

Habs Icing

Formerly Onice
Jan 17, 2004
Montreal
Bruwinz37 said:
TV, where the heck do you think I saw it? I saw what everyone else saw. I have it on TIVO and replayed it back no less than 10 times to see the severity of it.

What channel? what network. Some details please. If you would post some info on this site they'd ask for you link. I'm asking you for your link?

Bruwinz37

Feb 27, 2002
gobolt7 said:
And that is the problem right there, based on intent alone, he should sit out one game, REGARDLESS of how much contact was actually made.

So if a player takes a run at a guy in the corner, leaves his feet, elbows high and barely connects with the opposing player catching mostly glass is that also a suspension?

Now what about if Pogge connected a little lower on any one of the several slashes he gave Ryan last night and hurt his ankle. Would it make all the other slashes intent to injure? Surely I am reaching on this second example, but you see my point.

I do not condone the intent, but perhaps they felt after reviewing the tape that he held back enough. What other explanation is there to not suspend him or for the refs not to give a match penalty?

Bloggins

Dec 1, 2005
Bruwinz37 said:

Judging by how often you've replied to these threads I would think you've made it your mission in life to see Johnson purged of any guilt. It's pointless. Anyone who knows hockey knows there is no comparison between a slash at the shin pads and an intent to injure with a flying elbow. No amount of posts from you,or the lack of will in the IIHF to review the hit, will change that fact. BTW, they did not review it and rule in Johnsons favour, they simply said they will not review it. If a Canadian player had thrown that elbow I would be embarrased.
You yourself know as well that it was very wrong, but simply refuse to admit it to yourself due to the stars and bars on the offending player's jersey.

Bruwinz37

Feb 27, 2002
phaneuf_fan_3 said:
You know what, WHO CARES if he embellished the whole thing? Honestly NO ONE cares. The point of the entire argument is the intent that Jack Johnson had to hurt someone. I dont know how to state this any better or more clearly so that you will understand it.

People dont get suspended for embellishing hits, trips, high sticks, or anything else, this has never happened before and never will.

People do however get suspended for trying to decapitate people.

People do, in the NHL, get fined for diving however. Maybe you didnt see it the other 50 times I have said this, but it is only my contention that the hit was not as severe as everyone was making it out to be. I never claimed anything else. I dont think it was a smart or good move by Johnson and I dont condone it, but I do not think he should be suspended either.

Pangolin

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Bruwinz37 said:

No. I don't know if Downie embellished it or not.
What I say is that you're wrong in saying he definitly did embellish it and that without prove, you're saying what Downie did was as bad as what JJ did.

It doesn't take a very hard hit to the ear area to make one very woozy. A human being's sense of balance is easily shaken even by a slight tap near the ear. That is enough to make someone go down as long as Downie did even if JJ just glazed him.
If I had to guess, that would be my theory of what happened.

I don't know if that did neither, and I wouldn't put a lot of weight to my own scenario. But you seen dead set on Downie embellishing it and then laugh at other scenarios as if yours is that much more credible. That is what I'm arguing.

Macman

May 15, 2004
Bruwinz37 said:

I don't know if the hit was embelished or not and neither do you, even though you claim you do. The only person who knows is Downie. What we do know is this: Johnson intentionally threw an elbow into Downie's face after the play. By most everyone's measure, it deserved at least a match penalty. The fact the referee called it kneeing probably explains why he didn't get one.

gobolt7

Sep 24, 2003
Florida.
Bruwinz37 said:
I do not condone the intent, but perhaps they felt after reviewing the tape that he held back enough. What other explanation is there to not suspend him or for the refs not to give a match penalty?

Held back enough? He nearly took the guys head off, what could he have done to make the situation any worse than it was???

Letang fan 58

No More Fleury
May 12, 2004
Canada
Bruwinz37 said:
People do, in the NHL, get fined for diving however. Maybe you didnt see it the other 50 times I have said this, but it is only my contention that the hit was not as severe as everyone was making it out to be. I never claimed anything else. I dont think it was a smart or good move by Johnson and I dont condone it, but I do not think he should be suspended either.

How severe the hit was does not matter one bit, the intent to injure was there and thats enough for a minimum 1 game suspension, at this point im done posting back to you as you clealry are a homer and cant/wont understand that intent to take someones head off is clearly enough to suspend someone and not in the same class as embelishing a hit. :help:

Habs Icing

Formerly Onice
Jan 17, 2004
Montreal
Bruwinz37 said:

I'm calling you out. You saw nothing nowhere.

Bruwinz37

Feb 27, 2002
Judging by how often you've replied to these threads I would think you've made it your mission in life to see Johnson purged of any guilt. It's pointless. Anyone who knows hockey knows there is no comparison between a slash at the shin pads and an intent to injure with a flying elbow

I made an exaggerration to make a point. I dont think the quantity of my posts in this thread is anything more than a discussion and if you read any of them you would know that I have stated several times that what Johnson did was wrong and uncalled for.

. No amount of posts from you,or the lack of will in the IIHF to review the hit, will change that fact. BTW, they did not review it and rule in Johnsons favour, they simply said they will not review it.

Isnt that even more damning then? They obviously looked at the tape and saw what I saw. They dont even deem it worthy of review. How does that help your argument?

If a Canadian player had thrown that elbow I would be embarrased.
You yourself know as well that it was very wrong, but simply refuse to admit it to yourself due to the stars and bars on the offending player's jersey

As I am of Johnson. You and others just assume that I am defending him. I am simply saying that it was not as bad as everyone is making it out to be.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad