OT: TSN Is dead (Rogers secures 12-year exclusive National Broadcast deal with NHL + CHL)

Wetcoaster

Considering Sportsnet will NOT be blacking out games. Yea. It's stupid.
As I understand it Sportsnet will be blacking out games not on designated national broadcast nights (Saturday and Wednesday IIRC).

BeardyCanuck03

@BeardyCanuck03
Jun 19, 2006
twitter.com
As I understand it Sportsnet will be blacking out games not on designated national broadcast nights (Saturday and Wednesday IIRC).

You are understanding it correctly. All games on Wednesday, Saturday and Sunday will be Nationally televised. All games on Monday, Tuesday, Thursday, and Friday will be televised as part of a regional package.

Nothing has changed in terms of the Regional packages whether they are are on Sportsnet or TSN.

BobbyJazzLegs

Sorry 4 Acting Werd
Oct 15, 2013
Anyone ever watch Australian Football? That sport is actually pretty awesome. Hopefully they get more of that lol

Hahaha I caught some the other weekend. Haven't really seen a game since I left Oz. I forgot how ridiculous it was, especially those tiny shorts.

BeardyCanuck03

@BeardyCanuck03
Jun 19, 2006
twitter.com
Bob Cole signing on...

@stevelepore
Rogers will likely announce more of their NHL talent tomorrow. Expect Jim Hughson, Dave Randorf and Paul Romanuk to be a part.

Bringing Romanuk back to NA is a good move.

Randorf moving over is interesting, he was the host of the CFL show on TSN. Does this mean that Duthie takes over that role now?

Bourne Endeavor

Apr 6, 2009
Montreal, Quebec
Bob Cole signing on...

@stevelepore
Rogers will likely announce more of their NHL talent tomorrow. Expect Jim Hughson, Dave Randorf and Paul Romanuk to be a part.

Bringing Romanuk back to NA is a good move.

Randorf moving over is interesting, he was the host of the CFL show on TSN. Does this mean that Duthie takes over that role now?

That's my guess. I also wouldn't be surprised if a few like Ferraro and that jump ship if not this year, soon. TSN just doesn't need all of their analysts now without having multiple games to air regularly. Granted, they do have a fair amount of regional games. With Randorf gone, I wonder who they will have call Hab games now.

BeardyCanuck03

@BeardyCanuck03
Jun 19, 2006
twitter.com
That's my guess. I also wouldn't be surprised if a few like Ferraro and that jump ship if not this year, soon. TSN just doesn't need all of their analysts now without having multiple games to air regularly. Granted, they do have a fair amount of regional games. With Randorf gone, I wonder who they will have call Hab games now.

First off, it sounds like Duthie won't take over the CFL hosting duties. So it will be very interesting to see who they will have in that spot and what they will have Duthie doing.

Secondly, I believe Ferraro signed a long term deal with TSN.

Thirdly, TSN still has Gord Miller and Chris Cuthbert to call Jets and Habs games.

John Bender*

Gord miller has one of the worst pbp voices ever. Paul romanuck? No thanks. The best thing sportsnet can do is borrow from the cbc re their production skills. If only we could pair the cbc production with the tsn analysts.

MrShift4

GRRRR.......Babe
Aug 17, 2011
Calgary
You are understanding it correctly. All games on Wednesday, Saturday and Sunday will be Nationally televised. All games on Monday, Tuesday, Thursday, and Friday will be televised as part of a regional package.

Nothing has changed in terms of the Regional packages whether they are are on Sportsnet or TSN.

So I still need Centre Ice to watch Canucks in Calgary?
And it sounds like there is no need for me to get the total Sportsnet package then?

skeena1

May 15, 2006
And it sounds like there is no need for me to get the total Sportsnet package then?

Last year, the Canucks had 57 regional broadcast on SportsNet and 25 national broadcasts (CBC,TSN.) In Calgary, you would have been able to see the 25 that were shown nationally and not blacked out. Now you can add Sunday games and the odd Saturday games that Sportsnet showed to the games that are not blacked out. Going off last year's schedule, that would be 15 more games, so, now 40 in total. The rest, on Mon, Tues, Thu and Fri - still blacked out.
There has been some talk about Rogers coming up with a Center Ice Light for the remaining games - maybe someone can add to that.

oyvey

meet you at the bottom if there really is one
Jan 6, 2010
Toronto
I'm surprised Rogers is bringing on Bob Cole. It seems like a pretty logical time for him to retire. He's a legend obviously, but there have been some pretty cringeworthy moments these playoffs alone. I would probably rather have Cuthbert.

skeena1

May 15, 2006
I'm surprised Rogers is bringing on Bob Cole. It seems like a pretty logical time for him to retire. He's a legend obviously, but there have been some pretty cringeworthy moments these playoffs alone. I would probably rather have Cuthbert.

Cole has stated frequently he does not want to retire. So, you don't want to be the people that forced him out. My guess is that next year will be limited duty/farewell tour for Bob.

Jyrki21

2021-12-05
Sponsor
Rogers basically unleashed a misleading advertising bonanza when the news of this transfer first broke, and repeatedly tried to make it sound like blackouts of any sort would end without quite stating it clearly. (That was certainly the impression received -- look at post #257 of this thread, for example). They kept omitting any mention of what happened in the 4 out of 7 days of the week that haven't been designated for national broadcasts.

Look at my direct communication with them in post #433 of this thread – they simply wouldn't answer the question and went to other talking points about "no further regionalization" (I guess "further" is the key word there) or local blackouts, which none of us care about.

It very gradually became clear that out of region games would probably be blacked out as they have been to date, but it's infuriating that not only would they refuse to say this, but their announcements sure made it sound like the opposite would be true.

BeardyCanuck03

@BeardyCanuck03
Jun 19, 2006
twitter.com
Rogers basically unleashed a misleading advertising bonanza when the news of this transfer first broke, and repeatedly tried to make it sound like blackouts of any sort would end without quite stating it clearly. (That was certainly the impression received -- look at post #257 of this thread, for example). They kept omitting any mention of what happened in the 4 out of 7 days of the week that haven't been designated for national broadcasts.

Look at my direct communication with them in post #433 of this thread – they simply wouldn't answer the question and went to other talking points about "no further regionalization" (I guess "further" is the key word there) or local blackouts, which none of us care about.

It very gradually became clear that out of region games would probably be blacked out as they have been to date, but it's infuriating that not only would they refuse to say this, but their announcements sure made it sound like the opposite would be true.

This is false, what they released was correct. They repeatedly had to clarify that the regionalization issues were only for the national broadcast days. With the current CBC deal when there was multiple east/west games going on, they would regionalize which areas watched what games (Ottawa region, Winnipeg region, etc). What happened is that fans got all excited over this and started to put words in Rogers mouth when it came to the local broadcast rights. The infuriating part was that fans can't wrap their heads around this simple concept. This deal only affects the national broadcast rights, the local rights have a completely different contract and rules.

Jimson Hogarth*

Nov 21, 2013
This is false, what they released was correct. They repeatedly had to clarify that the regionalization issues were only for the national broadcast days. With the current CBC deal when there was multiple east/west games going on, they would regionalize which areas watched what games (Ottawa region, Winnipeg region, etc). What happened is that fans got all excited over this and started to put words in Rogers mouth when it came to the local broadcast rights. The infuriating part was that fans can't wrap their heads around this simple concept. This deal only affects the national broadcast rights, the local rights have a completely different contract and rules.

Oh poor misunderstood multi billion dollar corporation, their good intentions are always just misunderstood.

This is the long con and hockey in Canada will probably suffer for it - long term.

BeardyCanuck03

@BeardyCanuck03
Jun 19, 2006
twitter.com
Oh poor misunderstood multi billion dollar corporation, their good intentions are always just misunderstood.

This is the long con and hockey in Canada will probably suffer for it - long term.

LOL, I'm just saying that the information that was released was correct, people just tried to apply it to the local broadcast rights that Roger has, when they are completely separate contracts with different rules.

I find it frustrating that the same question gets asked every two weeks.

racerjoe

Jun 3, 2012
Vancouver
I actually like Miller :dunno:

I do too, his voice just reminds me of WJC of past. Like him more than Randorf.

I would say TSN still has the best guys in the business. It sucks to probably not get to see them do a Canucks game again.

NoShowWilly

Apr 4, 2010
North Delta
put Cole fulltime on Leafs and Hughson fulltime on Canucks. Bring over Ferraro as the colour for canucks and i'd be super happy. Shorthouse can go back to radio and Ball can do football.

Edit: apparently Ferraro is a no-go :(

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad