OT: TSN Is dead (Rogers secures 12-year exclusive National Broadcast deal with NHL + CHL)

racerjoe

Jun 3, 2012
Vancouver
Sportsnet FINALLY brought in someone who isn't a complete moron. I can't wait to see Scott Oake!
:sarcasm:

But seriously, Friedman might make intermissions barely watchable (as opposed to completely unwatchable). It's still hilarious that Damien Cox is their lead hockey insider. :laugh:

So basically what he has been doing this year for CBC?

I agree with all about Cox. Why is there so many reportes that are just terrible that seem to make it big?

mrmyheadhurts

Registered Boozer
Mar 22, 2007
Vancouver
Noticeably absent are Healy and Stock :D

Damien Cox is horrible.

I will be so thrilled if I never have to see either one of those clowns on TV ever again.

Friedman is great and for all the complaints about his awkward interviews, at least Scott Oake doesn't take himself too seriously or has the self-aggrandizing arrogance of MacLean & Cherry.

I'm one of the few who has zero sentimentality towards HNIC. That program and it's broadcasts have been absolute garbage for at least the last ten years.

tradervik

Hear no evil, see no evil, complain about it
Sponsor
Jun 25, 2007
Freidman and Oake will undoubtedly continue to appear on HNIC on CBC for the next four years. The difference is that the show will be produced by Sportsnet with people working for Sportsnet. Friedman and Cox will probably appear together on some segments and it will be interesting to see how they interact. Hopefully HNIC will continue with the After Hours show and we'll have more of Oake acting goofy and asking awkward questions.

Last edited:

BigBadBread

Shi Shi Shawww
Dec 4, 2006
Haven't seen it mentioned but will Sportsnet have the same online streaming infrastructure setup that CBC had?

For those without digital cable/satellite watching HNIC in HD online is awesome.

I'm loving all the HD World Cup streams.

BeardyCanuck03

@BeardyCanuck03
Jun 19, 2006
twitter.com
Haven't seen it mentioned but will Sportsnet have the same online streaming infrastructure setup that CBC had?

For those without digital cable/satellite watching HNIC in HD online is awesome.

I'm loving all the HD World Cup streams.

I'd expect something similar, but also would expect it to be similar to the TSN Go in terms of needing to have a cable package to use it.

Baby Pettersson

Mar 8, 2014
Saskatoon
Haha. I was wondering this exact question. Googled it hoping to find a good answer and was surprised this popped right up. I found out to say the least.

Edit: Wrong thread. Supposed to be in "Why does Canada suck at soccer". :)

The Stig

Your hero.
Feb 14, 2013
Maple Ridge B.C.
^^^

man, they sure don't seem happy that HNIC on CBC is gone :(

I dont blame them. I know people hate them but I absolutely love it.

I did too. Like I said in another thread...there was alot wrong with it, from the glitchy presentation to the obvious bias against my team, but still somehow, it was my favorite thing ever when the Canucks played on a Saturday night.

BeardyCanuck03

@BeardyCanuck03
Jun 19, 2006
twitter.com
^^^

man, they sure don't seem happy that HNIC on CBC is gone :(

I dont blame them. I know people hate them but I absolutely love it.

Technically it's not gone. We will still be watching Saturday Night HNIC on CBC for the next 4 years(I think that's the length of the CBC/Rogers agreement). CBC just won't have creative/production control.

Canucks LB

My Favourite, Gone too soon, RIP Luc, We miss you
Oct 12, 2008
Watching sportsnet schedule preview is ****ing weird. All the CBC guys are on, like mclean, cole, highlights from CBC.

This whole new network deal is just so odd and not right.

bowld

Jun 20, 2007
Does this mean no more Free Agency Frenzy show? Was looking forward to watching it next week!

bowld

Jun 20, 2007
Im pretty sure that TSN is continuing with their annual coverage of the important days. They only lost their game rights.

Ok thanks. I dont get TSN in the States so only get to see the FA Frenzy and Trade Deadline shows on NHL network

LiquidSnake

Jun 10, 2011
Vancouver, BC
TSN lost the national games, the draft, the draft lottery and playoffs.

They can do all the rest like trade deadline and free agent shows still though.

Canucks LB

My Favourite, Gone too soon, RIP Luc, We miss you
Oct 12, 2008
Is the draft covered by TSN or Sportsnet this year?

John Bender*

I did too. Like I said in another thread...there was alot wrong with it, from the glitchy presentation to the obvious bias against my team, but still somehow, it was my favorite thing ever when the Canucks played on a Saturday night.

Glitchy? The hnic presentation is what separates it from the others. The hnic production, from its intros,intermission pieces, hosting, tradition, is what makes it better than the other networks.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad