OT: TSN Is dead (Rogers secures 12-year exclusive National Broadcast deal with NHL + CHL)

John Bender*

I am still surprised that romanuck draws back in. Never liked the guy, saw him scream at his camera man once when he thought the camera was off. Don't care much for his voice either, but find it better than randorph.

At least gird miller is done - same with kevin Quinn, the oiler guy. Those guys were horrid.

John Bender*

I like gord miller. A lot.
I like cole and cuthbert better.
That is all.

To each their own. I suppose there are some that prefer the screechy voice cracking teenage boy like delivery that gord miller offers.

John Bender*

Cuthbert is the best in Canada.

Next tier is Miller, Hughson, Cole

With Romanuk coming back he will probably join that 2nd group.

Miller? Wow. I can't handle the guy. He's likeable and stuff but his pbp voice is horrid.

Curthbert, cole are good. Hughson too - he's much better since he abandoned all his stupid taglines. Remember when he'd blurt out "that's hockey!!!" Lame.

Jyrki21

2021-12-05
Sponsor
This is false, what they released was correct. They repeatedly had to clarify that the regionalization issues were only for the national broadcast days.
I never saw any clarification. Their announcements sure seemed designed to suggest all restrictions were lifted without phrasing it that way. If there was truly "repeated clarification", there wouldn't be the confusion that persists, right into the last page of this thread. Even when I asked a Rogers guy point blank, he wouldn't give me a straight answer (as above).

What happened is that fans got all excited over this and started to put words in Rogers mouth when it came to the local broadcast rights.
All it would have taken was one phrase – "broadcasts for the remaining days will be unaffected". A phrase that never appeared in any of the announcements anywhere. Which is weird, considering this is the majority of days of the week! Moreover, it is because of the NHL's own policy (promoting Center Ice), they didn't even have to take the blame. But curiously, they never mentioned this.

John Bender*

Gord Miller? Are people serious? He's ****in horrible.

I'd rather listen to Kerr in Calgary. Ok maybe not but it's close.

Yeah, good, ok, I was not going crazy myself. I can't believe people put him in the same company as Cole, Cuthbert, etc. He's one of the worst, imo. His "excited" voice is hideous.

skeena1

May 15, 2006
I never saw any clarification. Their announcements sure seemed designed to suggest all restrictions were lifted without phrasing it that way. If there was truly "repeated clarification", there wouldn't be the confusion that persists, right into the last page of this thread. Even when I asked a Rogers guy point blank, he wouldn't give me a straight answer (as above).

All it would have taken was one phrase – "broadcasts for the remaining days will be unaffected". A phrase that never appeared in any of the announcements anywhere. Which is weird, considering this is the majority of days of the week! Moreover, it is because of the NHL's own policy (promoting Center Ice), they didn't even have to take the blame. But curiously, they never mentioned this.

I'm still waiting to see where Rogers actually said "no more blackouts" in the first place. And if an opinion piece in "thecanuckway.com" that provides no attribution to the "no more blackouts" idea is your source, you need to upgrade.

VanillaCoke

Oct 30, 2013
Yeah, good, ok, I was not going crazy myself. I can't believe people put him in the same company as Cole, Cuthbert, etc. He's one of the worst, imo. His "excited" voice is hideous.

I can't believe it's not butter.

But really I think miller and Ferraro make a good duo, better than hugeson imo

Imuzi

Viaduct Villains
Mar 18, 2012
Representin' the COQ
No love for Gary Thorne?

Hockey needs his voice back more than baseball does lol

When he keeps his emotions in check Ferraro is one of the better colour guys.

PATRIK STEFAN YOU SHOULD BE ASHAMED OF YOURSELF RIGHT NOW :laugh:

Remember watching that the night it happened and thinking that Ray was off the plot with that piece of commentary.

Proto

Jan 30, 2010
TSN is still going to do a bunch of regional games, but I think they'll all be eastern teams. Miller/Ferraro is far and away the best combo in hockey. It's not even close for me.

Sportsnet hires inexplicably awful on-air talent and their attempts at humorous ad campaigns are absolutely cringe worthy. I honestly don't understand why they make as many poor choices as they do.

BeardyCanuck03

@BeardyCanuck03
Jun 19, 2006
twitter.com

There was never any official statement to clarify this but whenever it has been discussed with someone involved they have had to make the clarification.

Considering that when they were making all the announcements they were talking about how they had purchased the National Rights (ie Saturday, Sunday, Wednesday) these clarifications that they've made when being interviewed are only because people are stupid and couldn't separate the local and national rights from eachother. Honestly anyone who realized that the national rights were separate of the local rights figured out that the regionalization talk did not affect the local broadcasts.

Complaining that Rogers didn't released a statement explaining all this is like complaining that there wasn't a "caution hot liquids" isn't on a coffee cup.

skeena1

May 15, 2006
There was never any official statement to clarify this but whenever it has been discussed with someone involved they have had to make the clarification.

Considering that when they were making all the announcements they were talking about how they had purchased the National Rights (ie Saturday, Sunday, Wednesday) these clarifications that they've made when being interviewed are only because people are stupid and couldn't separate the local and national rights from eachother. Honestly anyone who realized that the national rights were separate of the local rights figured out that the regionalization talk did not affect the local broadcasts.

Complaining that Rogers didn't released a statement explaining all this is like complaining that there wasn't a "caution hot liquids" isn't on a coffee cup.

Thanks for this. Sometimes you can't protect people from their own willful ignorance.

John Bender*

TSN is still going to do a bunch of regional games, but I think they'll all be eastern teams. Miller/Ferraro is far and away the best combo in hockey. It's not even close for me.

Sportsnet hires inexplicably awful on-air talent and their attempts at humorous ad campaigns are absolutely cringe worthy. I honestly don't understand why they make as many poor choices as they do.

Ferraro used to be good, but now I think he thinks of himself as a big TV star and he has become a bit arrogant. I love how when he phones in to do his interviews on 1040 every week he conveniently states that exact same opinions that BMac and Taylor have just given minutes prior - and pretends he never heard them. I am getting kind of sick of Ferraro.

Gord Miller is a good guy, knowledgeable, but his voice is just not cut out for PBP.

Danrik

It is what it is.
Oct 17, 2006
Super Surrey, BC
Cole needs to be put out to pasture. He makes so many mistakes now and the color guy just feels so sorry for him that we don't bother correcting him anymore and we all just kind of smile at each other and let it go because we know he's so old he has no real idea what he's saying now anyways.

Ferraro I like but sometimes that edge comes out and it's a little too much.

VanillaCoke

Oct 30, 2013
Please god let this be the end of Healy and Stock. They're both so bad , I can't listen to Healy be completely wrong any longer.
And PJ stock is just annoying, aside from his opinion on slashing the stick penalties he makes very few valid arguments.

LiquidSnake

Jun 10, 2011
Vancouver, BC
Cole needs to be put out to pasture. He makes so many mistakes now and the color guy just feels so sorry for him that we don't bother correcting him anymore and we all just kind of smile at each other and let it go because we know he's so old he has no real idea what he's saying now anyways.

Ferraro I like but sometimes that edge comes out and it's a little too much.
Hughson has made a TON of errors this year in the playoffs in regards to names as well.

Hit Mute because thankfully Cole is coming..... back!

VanillaCoke

Oct 30, 2013
Coles errors aren't any worse than other announcers, but he recovers from them a lot better than most.

Jimson Hogarth*

Nov 21, 2013
Via twitter:
Chris Stevenson ‏@CJ_Stevenson 3m
Elliotte Friedman and Scott Oake have joined Sportsnet's NHL broadcast team. Two good hires. Friedman's one of the best reporters out there.

CBC reduced to ashes. stripped.

Nuckles

_________
Apr 27, 2010
heck
Via twitter:

CBC reduced to ashes. stripped.

Sportsnet FINALLY brought in someone who isn't a complete moron. I can't wait to see Scott Oake!
:sarcasm:

But seriously, Friedman might make intermissions barely watchable (as opposed to completely unwatchable). It's still hilarious that Damien Cox is their lead hockey insider. :laugh:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad