TSN 690 & Other Montreal sports media Thread VII

Status
Not open for further replies.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Hawksbee & Jacobs!

What is that -- a soccer show? Why would someone listen to a UK station for soccer when you can have a grand ole time trying to figure out whatever it is that Noel Butler is trying to say?

Reactions: jaffy27

sheed36

Jan 8, 2005
No Man's Land
Michael Farber should make an audio recording of himself talking, market it as a cure for insomnia and start selling it. He'd make a fortune. Yawn....

Any word on if Pierre Lebrun will be back on TSN690 this NHL season? I still haven't seen anything saying if he will or won't.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Any word on if Pierre Lebrun will be back on TSN690 this NHL season? I still haven't seen anything saying if he will or won't.

I couldn't find an announcement either way.

So I looked up his last TSN radio contributions and there and his most recent radio broadcasts that are available as podcasts date back to February: https://www.tsn.ca/talent/pierre-lebrun-1.56453

I'm guessing he's on hiatus from radio, given his other commitments. He hasn't officially pulled the plug given that there are no formal announcements.

Might be a good question to put to the folks at 690 via one of their social media accounts.

jaffy27

From Russia wth Pain
Nov 18, 2007
Orleans
What is that -- a soccer show? Why would someone listen to a UK station for soccer when you can have a grand ole time trying to figure out whatever it is that Noel Butler is trying to say?
:facepalm:

he got to be the second most annoying person to listen to on radio after Moffat and his atrocious goal (Cawh) calls :laugh:

Tighthead

Nov 9, 2016
Michael Farber should make an audio recording of himself talking, market it as a cure for insomnia and start selling it. He'd make a fortune. Yawn....

I like Farber. He is almost certainly the most accomplished sports journalist in the city and doesn't have any concerns about access or anything like that.

Reactions: Runner77

Corson27

Oct 30, 2016
he got to be the second most annoying person to listen to
There is certainly no shortage of tsn690 radio personalities for this dubious honor, or the honor of being the most annoying person on radio, for that matter <sigh>

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
:facepalm:

he got to be the second most annoying person to listen to on radio after Moffat and his atrocious goal (Cawh) calls :laugh:

I don't know in what world Noel Butler still has a job. :laugh:

Last edited:

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
I like Farber. He is almost certainly the most accomplished sports journalist in the city and doesn't have any concerns about access or anything like that.

He tends to need time to wind up and spin his ornery yarn, something more suited to not having to work on the clock. He's on a limited segment as a 690 contributor and at this point in his career, he tends to wallow too much into nostalgia -- a surefire sign that he'd be much better off writing a book or just favoring the print and electronic mediums generally.

I used to like reading Farber but as radio pundit -- it's unbearable. I feel like punching my radio just to reach the other side and pull out those few words that are coming from his mouth but somehow are getting held back by his monotone, insanely lagging, real time musings.

Last edited:

CauZuki

Feb 19, 2008
I can't stand the guy with the thick Boston accent on TSN690 (as if listening to Tony wasn't enough...).

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
I can't stand the guy with the thick Boston accent on TSN690 (as if listening to Tony wasn't enough...).

You mean the guy who's on from 1-3PM but who more often than not gives way to guest hosts?

The guy who hems and haws and who begins every second sentence with "again"?

The guy whose most recurring hockey advice is to "move your feet"?

That guy, huh.

sandviper

No Ragrets
Jan 26, 2016
Toronto
The post game show after Mete scored his first was annoying AF as it seemed every 2 minutes, they’d just replay Robertson's GOAL! call.

And I like Dan, but Campbell just kept hitting that audio button and I just changed the channel.

I’ve said it once and said it many times and will say it again... are there absolutely NO sport analysts in Montreal at all? I know not everyone likes or agrees with Basu, Denis, Dumont and others, but I freaking WELCOME them whenever I happen to be listening and they come on. They get to business, talk actual hockey and don’t have any stupid shticks.

I got no love for the Leafs, but the quality of radio is better here by a mile. I mean, I’m not trying to be Captain Serious here; I enjoy Overdrive for example, but at least they do talk sports also.

I guess it’s harder for TSN 690 since there’s only 1 major sport in Montreal, despite Tony’s best efforts to ram soccer down our throats. Looks like I answered my own question then. I suppose if I was a sports analyst and wanted work, I’d hop on the 401 to the Six and find work there all year.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
The post game show after Mete scored his first was annoying AF as it seemed every 2 minutes, they’d just replay Robertson's GOAL! call.

And I like Dan, but Campbell just kept hitting that audio button and I just changed the channel.

I’ve said it once and said it many times and will say it again... are there absolutely NO sport analysts in Montreal at all? I know not everyone likes or agrees with Basu, Denis, Dumont and others, but I freaking WELCOME them whenever I happen to be listening and they come on. They get to business, talk actual hockey and don’t have any stupid shticks.

I got no love for the Leafs, but the quality of radio is better here by a mile. I mean, I’m not trying to be Captain Serious here; I enjoy Overdrive for example, but at least they do talk sports also.

I guess it’s harder for TSN 690 since there’s only 1 major sport in Montreal, despite Tony’s best efforts to ram soccer down our throats. Looks like I answered my own question then. I suppose if I was a sports analyst and wanted work, I’d hop on the 401 to the Six and find work there all year.

It's now an age-old issue, well before the station changed to its current call letters. It's pathetic to have to hear all the filler talk from the likes of Campbell, Gallo and so many other jokemeisters who provide nothing of substance, have annoying attitudes or vocal irritants or who will try and sound smart by reading the internet for you. Ugh.... thanks for reading the internet, I was driving and didn't feel like taking my eyes off the road.

There are plenty of good analysts who are also fun to listen to. The only problem is that Melnick has hoarded them all and outside of his show, it's just a wasteland of pretenders for the most part.

Tighthead

Nov 9, 2016

The biggest issue is the pay is crap and the future is bleak. I can't imagine a worse industry for someone who is bright and motivated to enter. So young people who used to enter media are going into other fields.

Even in Toronto the employment is precarious. Rogers just had another round of layoffs in Vancouver.

You pay peanuts and you attract monkeys.

FlatIron

Sep 27, 2017
Montreal
The biggest issue is the pay is crap and the future is bleak. I can't imagine a worse industry for someone who is bright and motivated to enter. So young people who used to enter media are going into other fields.

Even in Toronto the employment is precarious. Rogers just had another round of layoffs in Vancouver.

That's pretty much it from what I gather. I wonder how much these guys get paid. I love that we have an all sports station here and I've been listening since pretty much since 2001 but the young guys are hard to listen to, i.e. Gallo, Alfieri, etc...

Thankfully we have the pros contributing even if it is just for a few minutes, Miller, Denis, Ferraro, Mckenzie, etc...

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012

That's why you have these guys scrambling for side jobs or extra revenue as promoters of product, like Gallo's pillow. Of course, the promos are probably also minuscule since these guys are mostly no-name. They all want to be Melnick eventually but the station is never going to be able to pay any of them what Melnick makes, nor do any of them have his talent and breadth of knowledge.

Once Melnick retires, it's going to be an even bigger shit show.

Reactions: DXStriker

FlatIron

Sep 27, 2017
Montreal

I could have sworn Lebrun was on recently right before the start of the season with maybe Marinaro but I may also be making stuff up. LOL

Farber is/was a great writer but I agree his anecdotes from the 70s are overkill, enough already it is 2019. Talk about what is going on not theory and old stories.

Megaforce

Farber is indeed all that and I've been a big fan of his for decades but his speech is slower and less emphatic since he had those health issues. He's still interesting but getting a little old I guess.

I'm not crazy about the guy with the clumsy tongue who pronounces three as "thuhh-reeee" and Marino isn't my cup of tea either.

Only sports media guy who I really despise is Buck Martinez. He's super boring and has an annoying voice and can't go 3 seconds without using that useless adjective "terrific."

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Only sports media guy who I really despise is Buck Martinez. He's super boring and has an annoying voice and can't go 3 seconds without using that useless adjective "terrific."

Speaking of Buck Martinez, heard some hilariously crazy talk from Melnick this afternoon when he was disturbingly describing how he's never seen anyone of his size having as big an ass as he does. He says that when he saw him in person, he couldn't stop looking at it, so much so that another reporter asked Melnick what he was doing. :laugh:

Chili

En boca cerrada no entran moscas
Jun 10, 2004
On the Leafs post game shows, Bill Watters (ex Asst GM and agent) comes on and gives his critique of the game.

Would make it more interesting to get an ex Exec, coach, etc. on the Habs post games to break down what happened. Would think they would be able to find a sponsor for that type of segment.

Adriatic

Feb 27, 2004
I'm all for having Jean Perron give his critiques post game. Would take the show to new levels :crossfing

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
On the Leafs post game shows, Bill Watters (ex Asst GM and agent) comes on and gives his critique of the game.

Would make it more interesting to get an ex Exec, coach, etc. on the Habs post games to break down what happened. Would think they would be able to find a sponsor for that type of segment.

That would be a great idea.

Instead of that, they have Gallo regurgitating what a child in the control room has lifted from the internet.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad