TSN 690 & Other Montreal sports media Thread VII

Status
Not open for further replies.

Adriatic

Feb 27, 2004
Sean Campbell is a rare beast: someone who sounds like he's completely fine to hang out with yet also thinks Paul Byron is worth an entire hour of roundtable discussion, making me recoil in the process.
This city, this board and the whole fan base is obsessed with 4th line players. God forbid we trade or lose one to waivers, the board goes into meltdown.

Reactions: Subban signed e5

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Sean Campbell is a rare beast: someone who sounds like he's completely fine to hang out with yet also thinks Paul Byron is worth an entire hour of roundtable discussion, making me recoil in the process.

Can't stand Sean Campbell. He's so annoying, he's got this pontificating tone and if you have listened to him enough, you'd notice how he constantly slows down his words at mid-sentence, extending his syllables. It's as if he's trying to buy time for the next thing he's going to say or he's just filling air due to a limited ability to emit intelligent and interesting observations and facts.

I think it was about two weeks ago when I tuned in during a pre-game show and a nightmare became reality for me as soon as I realized that Campbell and Gallo were doing the show by themselves for a bit. They were their usual selves, it could have been a segment of Habs Hot Topic, minus the lame special effects. So, they're talking about the Habs playing back to back games and the importance of a back up goalie. Campbell asserts that it's not so bad since the Habs's last b2b games are in February, implying that Price would have enough rest to get into more games after that.

So Campbell and Gallo are going back and forth on Price's workload and these b2b games for at least 5 minutes before Campbell, backtracks and says "forget everything I just said, the Habs have back to back games until March." For at least 5 minutes, he had insisted otherwise. You have one job, Campbell. Read the goddamn internet on air. That's it. You don't even have to think. Not that he does, but for some reason, he couldn't even read the internet.

Last edited:

sandviper

No Ragrets
Jan 26, 2016
Toronto
Can't stand Sean Campbell. He's so annoying, he's got this pontificating tone and if you have listened to him enough, you'd notice how he constantly slows down his words at mid-sentence, extending his syllables. It's as if he's trying to buy time for the next thing he's going to say or he's just filling air due to a limited ability to emit intelligent and interesting observations and facts.

I think it was about two weeks ago when I tuned in during a pre-game show and a nightmare became reality for me as soon as I realized that Campbell and Gallo were doing the show by themselves for a bit. They were their usual selves, it could have been a segment of Habs Hot Topic, minus the lame special effects. So, they're talking about the Habs playing back to back games and the importance of a back up goalie. Campbell asserts that it's not so bad since the Habs's last b2b games are in February, implying that Price would have enough rest to get into more games after that.

So Campbell and Gallo are going back and forth on Price's workload and these b2b games for a at least 5 minutes before Campbell, backtracks and says "forget everything I just said, the Habs have back to back games until March." For at least 5 minutes, he had insisted otherwise. You have one job, Campbell. Read the goddamn internet on air. That's it. You don't even have to think. Not that he does, but for some reason, he couldn't even read the internet.

Those two tools are annoying AF. They are basically internet trolls who managed to somehow get a radio gig.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Those two tools are annoying AF. They are basically internet trolls who managed to somehow get a radio gig.

They were the best available from the low wattage that the station attracts to run their control room. That's how they find their "talent" -- they have them work the control room and after a while, they'll be doing sportscasts and eventually make their way to some stint on air. There must be a better way to find actual talent. These guys will never quit their jobs, one of us is going to have to buy that station in order to get them fired.

GlassesJacketShirt

Aug 4, 2010
Sherbrooke

So Campbell and Gallo are going back and forth on Price's workload and these b2b games for at least 5 minutes before Campbell, backtracks and says "forget everything I just said, the Habs have back to back games until March." For at least 5 minutes, he had insisted otherwise. You have one job, Campbell. Read the goddamn internet on air. That's it. You don't even have to think. Not that he does, but for some reason, he couldn't even read the internet.

Outside of finding Tony occasionally entertaining, the station is pretty rough in terms of quality. Everyone has an easily definable schtick.

Campbell: "I think we should, talk about.......Nate Thompson's play on the fourth line......for the entire lunch."
Gallo: "WeLl AcKtUaLy....."
Marinaro: *Chews down zeppole while sweating over a loss* "I'm going to try the South Beach diet this time."
Melnick: "I keep telling people, Brendan Gallagher is an elite right winger...........now here's a Bob Dylan cover."
Alfieri: "Why can't I win a debate against Gallo?"
Starr: "I play a lot of golf. And hot dogs aren't sandwiches."
McKenna: "So, um how bout Habs last night eh?" (inside voice: I'm really just a second fiddle)
Moffatt: "Piatti strikes towards the net: (ball goes in net, put toast in toaster, toaster pops out, butter it up, throw some jam, go to work, get fired for looking up redtube too much, go home, drink yourself into a stupor, order a piz-)
ggggggggggggggggaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaawwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww
scahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh."
Nilan: "YOU GOTTA HAVE CHARACTA YEEHAW SUCK IT UP."
Tsilikas: "Free coffee."
Butler: f*** if I know what he's saying half the time.

Actually, they kind of represent the state of the Habs oh so perfectly.

Last edited:

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Outside of finding Tony occasionally entertaining, the station is pretty rough in terms of quality. Everyone has an easily definable schtick.

Campbell: "I think we should, talk about.......Nate Thompson's play on the fourth line......for the entire lunch."
Gallo: "WeLl AcKtUaLy....."
Marinaro: *Chews down zeppole while sweating over a loss* "I'm going to try the South Beach diet this time."
Melnick: "I keep telling people, Brendan Gallagher is an elite right winger...........now here's a Bob Dylan cover."
Alfieri: "Why can't I win a debate against Gallo?"
Starr: "I play a lot of golf. And hot dogs aren't sandwiches."
McKenna: "So, um how bout Habs last night eh?" (inside voice: I'm really just a second fiddle)
Moffatt: "Piatti strikes towards the net: (ball goes in net, put toast in toaster, toaster pops out, butter it up, throw some jam, go to work, get fired for looking up redtube too much, go home, drink yourself into a stupor, order a piz-) ggggggggggggggggaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaawwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww."
Nilan: "YOU GOTTA HAVE CHARACTA YEEHAW SUCK IT UP."
Tsilikas: "Free coffee."
Butler: **** if I know what he's saying half the time.

Actually, they kind of represent the state of the Habs oh so perfectly.

Nicely done, you captured the essence of the station.

Only quibble is Rick Moffat’s soccer call which is “Scahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!”

Yes, unbelievably, a grown man truncating a word into a meaningless and Neanderthalish primal scream causing a listener to lose brain cells in anguish trying to figure out what the hell he just heard.

GlassesJacketShirt

Aug 4, 2010
Sherbrooke
Nicely done, you captured the essence of the station.

Only quibble is Rick Moffat’s soccer call which is “Scahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!”

Yes, unbelievably, a grown man truncating a word into a meaningless and Neanderthalish primal scream causing a listener to lose brain cells in anguish trying to figure out what the hell he just heard.

Jesus, I totally thought I was hearing what I wrote this entire time. :o

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Jesus, I totally thought I was hearing what I wrote this entire time. :o

No worries, your mind was probably compensating and trying to decipher something that makes sense.

Moffat has completely lost his mind with that call. I'm forced to turn it off every time I hear that goal call, sounds like a donkey in heat.

hotcarle

Jul 10, 2009
vd, qc, ca

Notice him and Gallo both pronounce Saturday "sa-urday"? They're always saying it too because the hot topic show , and habs pregame are on Saturday.

Jay Farrar was on today with Melnick. That guy's got a golden voice. Dreamy.

Reactions: Runner77

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
That prank call that Marinaro got Melnick on that they played today and again just now was great. :laugh:

I caught it. Melnick was talking to a recording and didn't realize it the whole time. Unreal.

Reactions: sheed36

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Notice him and Gallo both pronounce Saturday "sa-urday"? They're always saying it too because the hot topic show , and habs pregame are on Saturday.

Jay Farrar was on today with Melnick. That guy's got a golden voice. Dreamy.

Now that you told me about how that pronunciation quirk, I'm going to be looking for it and those two putzes are going to annoy me even more. :laugh:

Too bad Ferrar didn't choose to take the spot vacated by Rod Francis on Melnick's show. I don't find that Alfieri hits his weight, he's too safe and boring. Ferrar is much more refined, sounds intelligent and as you mentioned, he's got a golden voice. I've had the misfortune of meeting his brother, Aniken Slade and found him to be curt and rude. Did not let me put a word in. All he wanted to know is if I could follow him on social media. f*** off, I'm not going to follow a guy who can't even establish a basic rapport.

I knew her a bit, she was a friend of a friend. She was a class act on and off air, if that matters to anyone.

Always liked Andi Bennett, came across as genuine. Did not know her personally but if you did and you know she's a class act, then yeah, you bet it matters. A lot. Look at my experience with Ferrar's brother. All I was looking to do was to congratulate him about his Expos song and chat a bit about how he became a fan. Instead of that, he acted like a jerk so f*** him and the ego he rolled into town with.

It's what we do in those moments when the spotlight is not upon us, that matters. Sometimes it's a little thing. A smile. Small talk. An act of kindness. It's what stays with you for the longest time.

sheed36

Jan 8, 2005
No Man's Land
I caught it. Melnick was talking to a recording and didn't realize it the whole time. Unreal.

He thought it was maybe Aaron Ward at one point. :laugh: I'd like to know now what Melnick did to Tony's sandwich a couple years ago that seemingly made Tony a bit ticked off that made his boss clean it up. I guess one should NEVER **** with Tony's food ever. :)

Pretty good prank by Tony on Melnick I thought which all have a good laugh at including me.

Reactions: Runner77

sandviper

No Ragrets
Jan 26, 2016
Toronto
Listening to TSN 1050 right now (PGT of Habs beating the Leafs 5-2). First, they just spent like a solid 10 minutes pumping Drouin’s and Price’s tires. Kind words but also good analysis of the Habs’ effort and how the game played out tonight.

Professional presentation, no lame jokes and sound effects. Think I’ll be tuning in here whenever Leafs play Habs.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Listening to TSN 1050 right now (PGT of Habs beating the Leafs 5-2). First, they just spent like a solid 10 minutes pumping Drouin’s and Price’s tires. Kind words but also good analysis of the Habs’ effort and how the game played out tonight.

Professional presentation, no lame jokes and sound effects. Think I’ll be tuning in here whenever Leafs play Habs.

Good to know. We could use more of that.

Who knows, that station might have other goodies.

neil2005

May 2, 2012
I got blocked by Renaud Lavoie on twitter this morning because I replied to his Victor Mete tweet saying that I'll take Pierre Lebrun's sources over his. Lavoie can't take the truth so he blocks me lol

Reactions: DXStriker

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Melnick aint the sharpest tool in the bag, despite the fact he'd try and claim otherwise.

He may not be off air but on air, where it matters for his listeners, he's a seasoned pro.

Reactions: DXStriker

hvac412

Apr 15, 2013

Yo want to talk about wasted air time look no further than Melnick,Jesus ,give the guy a rock station gig already.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad