TSN 690 & Other Montreal sports media Thread VII

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chili

En boca cerrada no entran moscas
Jun 10, 2004
I'm all for having Jean Perron give his critiques post game. Would take the show to new levels :crossfing
Don't know what he's doing now but he used to come on the TQS hockey show (can't recall the name of the show).

JP (in French): 'You can't win a Stanley Cup with Hal Gill! '(shortly after the Habs had signed him).

It had to be pointed to him, that Gill had just won the Cup a couple of months before with the Pens, playing an important shutdown role, especially on Tomas Holmstrom.

I would imagine there a several knowledgable people who follow the games closely and could come on, even if it was on a part time or rotating basis.

Just be good to hear a different take on the game beyond the callers.

Chili

Jun 10, 2004
That would be a great idea.

Instead of that, they have Gallo regurgitating what a child in the control room has lifted from the internet.
A veteran sportscaster hosting the post game show wouldn't be a bad idea either.

I do enjoy listening to the insight from someone who has been on the inside giving their take on the game while it's still fresh in the mind.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
A veteran sportscaster hosting the post game show wouldn't be a bad idea either.

I do enjoy listening to the insight from someone who has been on the inside giving their take on the game while it's still fresh in the mind.

In a small anglo market like Montreal, the barrier to entry is quite low. However, the station could do a much better job mining for talent.

Chili

Jun 10, 2004
In a small anglo market like Montreal, the barrier to entry is quite low. However, the station could do a much better job mining for talent.
Would be interesting to see the audience figures for 690 and Bonsoir Les Sportifs post game shows. Probably explains a lot. I used to listen to Ron, he can be funny, sometimes has inside info, the singing though...

Edit: saw that 98.5 say they get over 300,000 listeners

Last edited:
Reactions: Runner77

Tighthead

Nov 9, 2016
Would be interesting to see the audience figures for 690 and Bonsoir Les Sportifs post game shows. Probably explains a lot. I used to listen to Ron, he can be funny, sometimes has inside info, the singing though...

Speaking generally, younger people aren't tuning into AM radio to listen to games or postgames.

FM radio likely wouldn't help either.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Speaking generally, younger people aren't tuning into AM radio to listen to games or postgames.

FM radio likely wouldn't help either.

I wonder how much of an audience there might be with users listening from their smart devices?

MtlBoxFan

Jun 19, 2014
Because I don't enjoy listening to a retired former hab talk? Weird definition of fandom...
Not knowing who the hell Chris Nilan is is not a good sign. Like him or not.

Also, knowing past players is a major part of fandom. It means you actualky followed the team, care about it's history etc. I guess there are lame temporary fans that fall in love with the great stars of today but most people look back on the glory years fondly.

Reactions: angusyoung

Le Tricolore

Boo! BOOOO!
Aug 3, 2005
Montreal

Also, knowing past players is a major part of fandom. It means you actualky followed the team, care about it's history etc. I guess there are lame temporary fans that fall in love with the great stars of today but most people look back on the glory years fondly.
It's been over 30 years since Nilan played on the Habs. It's totally normal for someone to not know who he is if they didn't follow the team then, and don't listen to the radio.

He's mostly irrelevant and has a shitty radio show. It isn't like he's around the team at all otherwise.

HabsEstrie

Sep 30, 2017
Why the f*** would you even bother to listen if everything and everyone annoys you ? I so don't understand this generation.

Reactions: MtlBoxFan

CauZuki

Feb 19, 2008

Well considering I was either not born or a toddler when he was playing and he didn't have the fame of a Richard/Lafleur , I don't see how being a fan is linked to knowing every historical player that has ever worn a uniform. It's not my fault that I happen to be younger and I certainly wouldn't get mad at a younger fan for not remembering Shayne Corson , Brian Savage or Karl Dykhuis...

Yeah I'm the fake fan that didn't force my parents to conceive me a decade earlier , what a joke...
old.jpg

Why the **** would you even bother to listen if everything and everyone annoys you ? I so don't understand this generation.

So not liking something about a program means you completly ignore it? It's black/white , all or nothing? I enjoy all kinds of hockey discussion and many people have a lot to say that I enjoy hearing but certain people like Chris Nilan and Tony Marinaro I enjoy far less , how is that hard to understand?

Last edited:

MtlBoxFan

Jun 19, 2014
Well considering I was either not born or a toddler when he was playing and he didn't have the fame of a Richard/Lafleur , I don't see how being a fan is linked to knowing every historical player that has ever worn a uniform. It's not my fault that I happen to be younger and I certainly wouldn't get mad at a younger fan for not remembering Shayne Corson , Brian Savage or Karl Dykhuis...
You're just describing crappy fans. When I was a toddler, they were winning cups and to this day, I still know who Robinson, Gainey, Shutt, Lapointe are in addition to the tough guys like Lambert, Risebrough even though I was too young to remember it.
It is part of following a great team to know it's history and greats.
Nilan was an important player in an era where hockey tough guys were instrumental.
They brought out Maurice Richard and gave him a 20 minute standing ovation. You'd be like...who's the old dude with the scary eyes?

Reactions: angusyoung

CauZuki

Feb 19, 2008
You're just describing crappy fans. When I was a toddler, they were winning cups and to this day, I still know who Robinson, Gainey, Shutt, Lapointe are in addition to the tough guys like Lambert, Risebrough even though I was too young to remember it.
It is part of following a great team to know it's history and greats.
Nilan was an important player in an era where hockey tough guys were instrumental.
They brought out Maurice Richard and gave him a 20 minute standing ovation. You'd be like...who's the old dude with the scary eyes?

Wow , holy straw man , it's obvious you are just trying to bring up information from your youth as some form of standard. It's not my fault that your subjective definition of fandom requires me to be alive during a time where I wasn't. I'm assuming you know every player that was "instrumental" to the Habs since 1900s? Wouldn't want to be a hypocrite now? I clearly just mentioned Richard as a great that everyone remembers and yet you try to bring it up as some kind of zinger, just awful discussion...

Adriatic

Feb 27, 2004
I love the moments when Nilan is discussing something and is out of arguments..you can sense the bully in him come right out for a split second and create tension in the room. There always a possibility he punches someone when that happens. Hopefully he follows through one day and it becomes a great radio moment.

MtlBoxFan

Jun 19, 2014
Wow , holy straw man , it's obvious you are just trying to bring up information from your youth as some form of standard. It's not my fault that your subjective definition of fandom requires me to be alive during a time where I wasn't. I'm assuming you know every player that was "instrumental" to the Habs since 1900s? Wouldn't want to be a hypocrite now? I clearly just mentioned Richard as a great that everyone remembers and yet you try to bring it up as some kind of zinger, just awful discussion...
You lowered the dicussion it by referring to Nilan as the guy with the boston accent and then doubled down on it by trying to define fandom as not including past players. This team sucks horribly. Past players is all we have right now.

Also, they announce his show by name every 6 minutes. How could you not know who he was?

MtlBoxFan

Jun 19, 2014
I love the moments when Nilan is discussing something and is out of arguments..you can sense the bully in him come right out for a split second and create tension in the room. There always a possibility he punches someone when that happens. Hopefully he follows through one day and it becomes a great radio moment.
The only possibilty is that he punches that laser hair removal treated marshmallow Marinaro.

CauZuki

Feb 19, 2008
You lowered the dicussion it by referring to Nilan as the guy with the boston accent and then doubled down on it by trying to define fandom as not including past players. This team sucks horribly. Past players is all we have right now.

Also, they announce his show by name every 6 minutes. How could you not know who he was?

So I'm suppose to recognize the voice of a person I never saw play and retired while I was a toddler? Got it, thanks for telling me how to be a fan...

Didn't realize the president of the "I love Chris Nilan club" was among us, would have mentioned him in a more respectful way and portrayed him as the Habs legend he so obviously is...Shame on me, really off the cuff on my part.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad