TSN 690 & Other Montreal sports media Thread VII

Status
Not open for further replies.

David Suzuki

Aug 25, 2010
New Brunswick
Come on.

Anyone who has an opinion about the Habs or argues their opinion can come across as """obnoxious""" if you want to be stinky about it.

Not really. I've never met people who talk about hockey in real life the way people here do. Most people are a lot more nuanced and open to being wrong then people on here are. A real inflated sense of the importance of their opinions here.

Reactions: TooLegitToQuit

WhiskeySeven*

Expect the expected
Jun 17, 2007
Not really. I've never met people who talk about hockey in real life the way people here do. Most people are a lot more nuanced and open to being wrong then people on here are. A real inflated sense of the importance of their opinions here.
That's true of the internet entirely. It is somewhat of a good thing too, or at the very least it's both good and bad.

sandviper

No Ragrets
Jan 26, 2016
Toronto
Yeah I quite like what the leafs have going. Andi Petrillo is animated.

I didn't like Andi when she was first introduced, but she's grown on me. I do like she presents some good discussion points and she holds up against her guests and co-hosts.

I usually listen to Hockey Central though and it took a while also, but Jeff Marek has also grown on me, though I do miss Daren Millard. Kipper, while annoying at times, at least isn't punch drunk like Nilan.

Still a big fan of Overdrive. I love those guys.

For my Habs fix, I just can't listen to 690. I do listen to many pods though, and while not all are good, I will listen to these before Tony any day.

This is kind of my experience also. IRL, most people aren't as aggressive and so locked in with an opinion or closed to others. I do like to consider myself even keeled though so I'm pretty much the same in HF and IRL when it comes to talking hockey.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
...I’ve said it before, but all the Sportsnet 590 and TSN 1050 guys are Leafs homers, but at least they provide some insight and actual analysis to the table.

I didn't like Andi when she was first introduced, but she's grown on me. I do like she presents some good discussion points and she holds up against her guests and co-hosts.

I usually listen to Hockey Central though and it took a while also, but Jeff Marek has also grown on me, though I do miss Daren Millard. Kipper, while annoying at times, at least isn't punch drunk like Nilan.

Still a big fan of Overdrive. I love those guys.

For my Habs fix, I just can't listen to 690. I do listen to many pods though, and while not all are good, I will listen to these before Tony any day.

By Hockey Central, you mean the TSN TV segment during intermissions? Or is there a radio equivalent?

Also, can you list the shows and times that are worth a listen on Sportsnet 590 and TSN1050? I imagine we can easily catch these online.

Thanks in advance.

sandviper

No Ragrets
Jan 26, 2016
Toronto
By Hockey Central, you mean the TSN TV segment during intermissions? Or is there a radio equivalent?

Also, can you list the shows and times that are worth a listen on Sportsnet 590 and TSN1050? I imagine we can easily catch these online.

Thanks in advance.

No, I was referring to Hockey Central at Noon.

Here are the show times:
Leafs Lunch with Andi Petrillo @ 12 PM TSN 1050
Hockey Central at Noon @ uh, 12 PM Sportsnet 590
Overdrive @ 4PM TSN 1050

Those are the 3 I listen to, though I bounce back and forth between Hockey Central and Leafs Lunch. I will probably listen to less Leafs Lunch now that the Nylander situation is over, but I usually listen a lot when the Habs play the Leafs.

The great thing about the 3 shows also is they are available via podcast also, so even if you miss them, you can download them. TSN 690 makes that hard to do unless you directly visit their site which is annoying to me. With the Toronto shows, I subscribe to them in Overcast (but any pod app will work) and they download automatically.

I read somewhere they don't do this with TSN 690 because they want to encourage visitors to their site and people to listen live. I think they do this because If I were able to download a pod, I would SKIP anytime Tony opens his mouth.

Last edited:
Reactions: Runner77

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
No, I was referring to Hockey Central at Noon.

Here are the show times:
Leafs Lunch with Andi Petrillo @ 12 PM TSN 1050
Hockey Central at Noon @ uh, 12 PM Sportsnet 590
Overdrive @ 4PM TSN 1050

Those are the 3 I listen to, though I bounce back and forth between Hockey Central and Leafs Lunch. I will probably listen to less Leafs Lunch now that the Nylander situation is over, but I usually listen a lot when the Habs play the Leafs.

The great thing about the 3 shows also is they are available via podcast also, so even if you miss them, you can download them. TSN 690 makes that hard to do unless you directly visit their site which is annoying to me. With the Toronto shows, I subscribe to them in Overcast (but any pod app will work) and they download automatically.

I read somewhere they don't do this with TSN 690 because they want to encourage visitors to their site and people to listen live. I think they do this because If I were able to download a pod, I would SKIP anytime Tony opens his mouth.

Thanks for the detailed reply.

How would you compare Melnick's show and guests to any of the above? I imagine some of Melnick's guests do a milk run on the TSN shows you listed?

Also, who are your favorite broadcasters from the shows you listed? What do you like about them?

I'm asking cause I'm looking for a new fix. I've long been annoyed by the local fare.

sandviper

No Ragrets
Jan 26, 2016
Toronto
Thanks for the detailed reply.

How would you compare Melnick's show and guests to any of the above? I imagine some of Melnick's guests do a milk run on the TSN shows you listed?

Also, who are your favorite broadcasters from the shows you listed? What do you like about them?

I'm asking cause I'm looking for a new fix. I've long been annoyed by the local fare.

I like Melnick, once I can get past the first 20 minutes you guys were talking about earlier, lol. Lebrun and McGuire as well as McKenzie typically swing by Leafs Lunch.

I mean end of the day, during hockey season, I mostly care about hockey and basketball. I am not a Leafs fan, but I don't mind listening about them since I got to sound half knowledgeable when I have my water cooler discussions at work. Unless it's some important day for the Leafs, Hockey Central at Noon and Overdrive do talk about other topics, which is good. It also gives some insight on what is happening to other teams around the league.

The shows I listed, I am fine with all the hosts. Even Kypreos is ok, but I'm not a big fan or anything. But of the 3 shows, Overdrive has my favorite hosts with Hayes, Noodles (McLennan) and O-Dog (O'Neil). Those 3 have great chemistry and heck, since I know you like A Million Little Things, those 3 on Overdrive make for a real "bro" show.

Getting back to the Habs, I do listen to these podcasts (all are 100% free):

Habsent Minded
The Habs Forum
Habsworld
The Montreal Bias
No Respek

I do listen to Le Support Athletique and Last Word pods when they upload one around the Habs.

sheed36

Jan 8, 2005
No Man's Land
I like Melnick, once I can get past the first 20 minutes you guys were talking about earlier, lol. Lebrun and McGuire as well as McKenzie typically swing by Leafs Lunch.

I mean end of the day, during hockey season, I mostly care about hockey and basketball. I am not a Leafs fan, but I don't mind listening about them since I got to sound half knowledgeable when I have my water cooler discussions at work. Unless it's some important day for the Leafs, Hockey Central at Noon and Overdrive do talk about other topics, which is good. It also gives some insight on what is happening to other teams around the league.

The shows I listed, I am fine with all the hosts. Even Kypreos is ok, but I'm not a big fan or anything. But of the 3 shows, Overdrive has my favorite hosts with Hayes, Noodles (McLennan) and O-Dog (O'Neil). Those 3 have great chemistry and heck, since I know you like A Million Little Things, those 3 on Overdrive make for a real "bro" show.

Getting back to the Habs, I do listen to these podcasts (all are 100% free):

Habsent Minded
The Habs Forum
Habsworld
The Montreal Bias
No Respek

I do listen to Le Support Athletique and Last Word pods when they upload one around the Habs.

The music Melnick plays to start his show every day is one of the reasons I tune in to his show. :dunno: I guess it helps that I have very similar taste in music as Melnick does. When Simon fills in for Melnick and starts the show with the crap hip hop style music he listens too I can understand where you guys are coming from though. :)

Reactions: sandviper

Inkling

Same Old Hockey
Nov 27, 2006
Ottawa

This is true. They used to offer their shows in iTunes and people were asking for it, but I remember Rod Francis specifically saying one day that it was a management decision to drive more people to the website (in theory) by making it only available there. In reality it probably just drives people away to other content. I do sometimes listen to BobbyMac or Lebrun or Ferraro interviews on their website when I've missed them live, but I 'intend' to do it much more often than I actually do it in real life.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Reactions: sheed36

sheed36

Jan 8, 2005
No Man's Land
It was mentioned repeatedly on 690, on the days that followed it.

If you want to catch up on it (I don't know why anyone would, but hey, it's a free world), you'll find a lengthy write-up and a ton of none-too-flattering pics of Tony's gut and multiple chins, right here: http://www.mitchmelnick.com/photos/is-this-a-joke-no-its-a-roast-photo-album-more/

I didn't look at any photos but I did read the transcripts that were posted. Campbell's and Andie Bennett's weren't really that funny but the Jay Farrar, Dan Robertson, Jessica Rusnak bits were all awesome, especially Jay Farrar's. :laugh:

peate

Smiley
Sponsor
Feb 16, 2007
The Island
It was mentioned repeatedly on 690, on the days that followed it.

If you want to catch up on it (I don't know why anyone would, but hey, it's a free world), you'll find a lengthy write-up and a ton of none-too-flattering pics of Tony's gut and multiple chins, right here: IS THIS A JOKE? NO IT'S A ROAST! PHOTO ALBUM & MORE - MitchMelnick.com
No thanks, my day is going well, I don't want to ruin it.:laugh: I don't give a shiite about Tony. I tried listening to him, lasted maybe 5 minutes, and that was years ago.

Reactions: Censored Toad

Censored Toad

Most Records Shattered as GM of the Habs!
Aug 8, 2016
No thanks, my day is going well, I don't want to ruin it.:laugh: I don't give a shiite about Tony. I tried listening to him, lasted maybe 5 minutes, and that was years ago.

your not missing anything at all sir....

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast

Agreed. Most people on these boards would not talk to you face this way.

overlords

#DefundCBC
Aug 16, 2008
The City
Your message would have had far more impact if it were delivered with food. That's about the only way that an unknown gets a warm reception when offering constructive criticism.

I will gladly help sponsor a giant 'f*** you, tony. Love, hfbroads' sausage pizza delivery.

:sarcasm:

sheed36

Jan 8, 2005
No Man's Land

You don't have to like Tony but reading the Jay Farrar, Dan Robertson, and Jessica Rusnak transcripts from their bit at the roast is worth it, especially Farrar's. :laugh: The beached whale bit made me laugh out loud and I really hope Jess Rusnak can finally recover from having that sight forever ingrained into her brain. :laugh:

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
RDS's Patrick Friolet interviewing the even worse-spoken Sebastian Aho, during the pre-game skate.

Welcome to a futile exercise in mispronunciations, punctuated by dumb questions followed by aimless mangled answers veering into the oblivion:

Friolet: 2 weeks ago you managed to exit Montreal wit 2 points in your luggage. Warrayou wanna reproduce tonight knowing dat dis team is looking to have an answer?

Aho: Sorry, ugh ... ah ...

Friolet: Whaddayou want to reproduce, reproduce dat you did well in dat first game?

Aho: Ugh ya, I mean ugh, it was a good game for us and ugh, (mangled talk) home, and ugh (mangled words) we just ugh, wanna be ready, ugh ah yeah (mangled words).

Friolet: It's your TURD season, you're progressing obviously, you managed to have a point a game dis season, whaddayou feel are the tings dat are evolving in your play?

Aho: Ahhhhhhhhhhhhh, lots of things, ahhhh. There's so many things. Layamahhhhhs are a huge part of it and ahhhh. It's all about continents.

Friolet: Tank you very much.

:laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

Summary of the interview: "Wit 2 points in your luggage, in your turd season. Ugh, ahhhhh, layamahhhs, ugh, ahhhhh."

Last edited:

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012

Was only aiming to please. Don't shoot the messenger. :laugh:

Reactions: groovejuice
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad